Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: spinner trackball control panel set up  (Read 1893 times)

Fonkybeachbum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2023, 12:10:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
spinner trackball control panel set up
« on: April 10, 2018, 03:45:58 pm »
Hello,
i'm building a cp to get my spinner trackball game fix.  I was wondering if the layout i have here is missing anything important.  I hope to use the spinner to play tron and tempest mainly and the trackball to play golden tee.  I have a 2 trigger flight stick on the right side to play tron.  Anything glaring that I am messing up with this layout.  Thanks for any advice.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: spinner trackball control panel set up
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »
I was wondering if the layout i have here is missing anything important.
How do you plan on handling admin functions like ESC, Pause, etc. -- dedicated buttons or shifted functions?

The three buttons on the left might not be very comfortable in that triangular pattern.

Consider doing a cardboard mockup to test the ergonomics.

Scott

Fonkybeachbum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »
Using an iPac, was probably going to just use shifted functions.  I agree on the triangle, will go horizontal instead.  My general worry is that I have enough buttons to play all relevant spinner and trackball games.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:32:32 am »
i am currently experiencing golden tee and when i have people play it, they really wing their palm across that trackball.
it needs plenty of space in front of it to not hit other buttons or obstructions or the bezel.  you could slice the $#!+ out of your hand if there was a sharp edge or burr.

as far as tron.  i have a spinner and cheap flight stick.  it works well but that cheap flight stick really is the suck.  too bad a good one from happ is around $200!

Fonkybeachbum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 11:22:21 am »
i am currently experiencing golden tee and when i have people play it, they really wing their palm across that trackball.
it needs plenty of space in front of it to not hit other buttons or obstructions or the bezel.  you could slice the $#!+ out of your hand if there was a sharp edge or burr.

as far as tron.  i have a spinner and cheap flight stick.  it works well but that cheap flight stick really is the suck.  too bad a good one from happ is around $200!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I was considering using a round over bit to put a curve on the front part of the panel anyway, but I'll keep the space in front of the ball in mind.  I did order a bezel for the trackball.  If you could go back, would you consider not using the bezel?  I got a cheap flight stick too  :(, maybe I'll look around. 

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 06:02:06 pm »
I actually made a wood mount for the trackball because I didn't have a metal plate.  routed it into the wood control panel.

Then I put a layer of plexiglass on top of the wood panel.
I carefully cut out the circle with a dremel then rounded the edges, and sanded with a a few different grits of sandpaper so it was very smooth transition.