Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control Panel and latches/magnets  (Read 2093 times)

frotter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2012, 11:28:29 pm
Control Panel and latches/magnets
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »
Hi,

I am nearing the end of my first ever build of an arcade cabinet (cocktail) and am hoping someone might be able to help me with one last problem.

I have made my CP's on a hinge so that I can access the internals at anytime if I need to (you can see from the photo). I hadn't really given much thought to what method I will use to keep them closed while playing until now and it is starting to be a bit of an issue. I have thought of using a latch of some kind, but figuring where to place it is another problem. I also thought of using magnetic catches and placing them on the inside edges, but will the magnets have an effect on the workings of the CP?

This is a picture of the cabinet with the CP's closed.

This shows the Player 1 CP open (all control panels open the same).

Has anyone got some good ideas on the best way to be able to keep it shut. I still want access to open them without having to undo screws, etc.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

HanoiBoi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
Re: Control Panel and latches/magnets
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50:01 pm »
Besides magnets, you could consider velcro.  The hard interlocking 3M stuff that they use for EZ Pass and such.

DashRendar

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2015, 05:46:52 pm
  • "Don't get your servos in a twist pal."
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:43 am »
Besides magnets, you could consider velcro.  The hard interlocking 3M stuff that they use for EZ Pass and such.

+1

This is what I used to anchor my CP in place.  Home Depot sells an industrial velcro which won't detach from the adhesive.  Super easy to put in there.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 322, Oakview, CA 93022. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:42 am »
I didn't see what type of monitor you plan to use.  If using a CRT, you will likely not want to use magnets.  They will screw up the screen if they are too close.  If using an LCD panel, magnets are fine.