Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is groovy mame best for me?  (Read 7620 times)

Mark Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2014, 07:41:56 am
Is groovy mame best for me?
« on: July 24, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »
Hi guys iv been asking about mame in the main forum and have be recommended to use groovymame. Being new to all this and still trying to work it all out. Can you tell me what's different about groovy mame compared to normal mame? I have an old arcade cabinet with arcade monitor that I am setting up via ultimarc arcade VGA2 and Jpac. I have 143 rom set and want to know the main benefits of this build please.

Many thanks

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Is groovy mame best for me?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »
GroovyMame, paired with the modified drivers, is to the best of my knowledge, the only solution to provide pixel perfect AND frame rate perfect emulation at the moment.

The focus on framerates it the biggest difference between Groovymame and other various builds. Having the system running the emulator at the game's original speed eliminates such visual and auditory problems as tearing, stuttering, and game timing issues.

Your arcade monitor can be driven with modelines that allow all the various resolutions to be changed between with no to minimal changes to the adjustment knobs (depending on the monitor).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:48:10 pm »
Hi guys iv been asking about mame in the main forum and have be recommended to use groovymame. Being new to all this and still trying to work it all out. Can you tell me what's different about groovy mame compared to normal mame? I have an old arcade cabinet with arcade monitor that I am setting up via ultimarc arcade VGA2 and Jpac. I have 143 rom set and want to know the main benefits of this build please.

Many thanks

Hi Mark,

Be aware GroovyMAME is a command-line build, just like the official Mame is. This means that in order to get things working you need to launch each game from command line, either passing the right params or using mame.ini for that. What most of us do is to use an external frontend, properly set up, in order to select the game we want GroovyMAME to launch.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:07:06 pm »
Hi Mark,

Be aware GroovyMAME is a command-line build, just like the official Mame is. This means that in order to get things working you need to launch each game from command line, either passing the right params or using mame.ini for that. What most of us do is to use an external frontend, properly set up, in order to select the game we want GroovyMAME to launch.

Thanks Calamity,

Glad you told me this seems iv got a lot to learn, can you recommend a good frontend? What do you guys use?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:44:59 pm by Calamity »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:45:55 pm »
That depends on your taste mainly. I've always used AdvMenu for its simplicity. I've never used the MaLa frontend, but it seems to be easy to setup and still allows very cool layouts.

(I edited your post by mistake, sorry  :P )
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:15:35 pm »
No problem mate I have had a quick look at front ends typed a few into You Tube to see how they run. I really like the look of Mamewah and Hyper spin but am a bit worried about how they might run on my arcade monitor.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00:49 am »
I ran Hyperspin on a K7400 for quite a while. It works fine and looked great even at std resolutions like 320x240.

Mark Thomas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »
That's good to hear I was a bit worried all the nice artwork would be wasted at a lower resolution. I'm really looking forward to setting up this Groovy mame now.