Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yoshimi Versus Wall Mount! (100% complete!)  (Read 14787 times)

mikejkelley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2015, 11:40:02 pm
Yoshimi Versus Wall Mount! (100% complete!)
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:06:38 pm »

Here's a quick and dirty mock-up of what I will accomplish. I wanted to create something that would save space, look mod, and be somewhat less obtrusive than furnishing the house with the towering black monolith from 2001. It's inspired by the front section of my yet unfinished Capcom mini-cute.

The top portion (orange) is a plexi-glass holder for the arcade flyer. The speaker wires will run through the wall to a barebones computer near the controls, as will the monitor wires. The only visible wire will be the power cord.

The plexiglass will be illuminated from the bottom using leds, and the monitor will be back-lit in a similar fashion for beckoning glow effect.

I expect the design to go thru another revision or so, but I'm increasingly happy with it!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:02:59 pm by mikejkelley »

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
Re: Yoshimi Versus Wall Mount!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:44 pm »
Very interesting, what source will you be using, pc/console etc?

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:22:35 am »
NICE!
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:28:32 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:44:59 am »
Very nice. May I suggest you add a thin blue line to the monitor's bezel as well to tie it all together even more? The monitor looks very wide in your mockup, do you plan on using a Cinemascope type? Also, will you mount this at a standup or sitdown height?

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:27:34 am »
Thnx, re: painting, that might not be a bad idea or I might go so far as to disassemble the monitor and vinyl dye the bezel. I haven't decided on a final color choice yet though. For the monitor I plan on using something on sale in a 16:9 and I'll be mounting them at a stand-up height. I figure if I'm not happy with that I can always add really tall bar stools heh.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:34:57 am »
I think you should keep the edge towards the actual screen black, as it frames the picture much better than something like baby blue.

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:53 am »
Do you think the backlighting I'd envisioned would tie it together as well as anything else? Similar to the following pic but using cold cathodes or leds in the same color scheme as the cabinet;

Also, what color does everyone think would look best? I'm leaning towards pastels as a call back to the mini-cute.

Also also, it's worth mentioning that I'm not only creating the arcade cabinet, but also the arcade game itself (another first?). It's going to have a primary colors color scheme that I'll show and tell more about later.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:11:33 am by mikejkelley »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:17:45 am »
That might work. I'd love to see a Conan O'Brien game btw.  :laugh2:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 07:41:10 pm »
Thnx! I'll be using a mini-PC similar to this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119016&cm_re=barebones_mini-_-56-119-016-_-Product

It that an actual computer you can use for MAME?  $200 is cheap.

kingchimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2023, 08:59:20 am
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 06:18:12 am »
It's a barebones system, which generally means case with power supply, motherboard and cpu.  In this instance there is onboard video so you'd just need to add a hard disk and some RAM (and an OS).

Because of the size of the case they will have to be laptop parts, which is a bit more expensive, and I suspect the ION processor would struggle with any of the 3d games in mame (although that's just my guess, and could well be completely wrong, I've not had a chance to play with the dual core ones).

Still, it looks like a nice deal as long as it does what you want it to.

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »
So, I'm in the process of making a mock-up out of foam board. Then I'll see about handing it off to a custom cabinet manufacturer.

I forsee some problems, the monitor juts about 4 inches out from the wall and if I want to be a semi-comfortable viewing distance away, then everything else must move back as well. That means the cp has to be much bigger than I'd originally envisioned. In fact, I'm a little worried about the load.

In the meantime, I've been working on the game itself, Yoshimi Versus Face Punching Robots!

Here's some WIP stuff, hopefully it will interest you!;

If you like it and want to see it get done, please support it by leaving positive comments here;
http://www.indiedb.com/games/yoshimi-vs-face-punching-robots and here;
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23026.0.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:49:30 pm by mikejkelley »

Nicodumas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 09:51:06 am
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 11:13:35 am »
This idea is GREAT! If you can pull it off I think you may start a trend of installation cabs. Might want to think about going one further and working something so the control panel can slid into the wall or something... Oh the ideas!

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 01:17:57 pm »
It's a barebones system, which generally means case with power supply, motherboard and cpu.  In this instance there is onboard video so you'd just need to add a hard disk and some RAM (and an OS).

Because of the size of the case they will have to be laptop parts, which is a bit more expensive, and I suspect the ION processor would struggle with any of the 3d games in mame (although that's just my guess, and could well be completely wrong, I've not had a chance to play with the dual core ones).

Still, it looks like a nice deal as long as it does what you want it to.
The one recomendation I would give would be to sway away from intel and towards AMD.  The AMD E-350 APU outperforms the ION on virtually every front.  Something about the integration of the AMD and video is better than intels version.

This little bastard would be perfect:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157228

Aside from that $20 for memory, a harddrive, and a power supply nets you 1 computer for cheap.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 01:23:25 pm »
So, I'm in the process of making a mock-up out of foam board. Then I'll see about handing it off to a custom cabinet manufacturer.

I forsee some problems, the monitor juts about 4 inches out from the wall and if I want to be a semi-comfortable viewing distance away, then everything else must move back as well. That means the cp has to be much bigger than I'd originally envisioned. In fact, I'm a little worried about the load.
If you want to be able to move your CP around away from the wall and are a little concerned about the load get yourself one of these
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8588&seq=1&format=2
I have my 90lb plasma hanging on one and it is solid.

One other idea I was thinking to shorten your distance would be to create a frame which attaches the marque to the screen, and then use that frame to attach to the wall.  This would allow you to place the monitor nearly flush with the wall.  Let me know if you follow me here.  The wall mount would be between the monitor and the marque.

PS.  You can't find better deals on wall mounts than monoprice.  Also if you just want the TV flush on the wall grab
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=6423&seq=1&format=3#specification
A $10 120lb rated mount that sits 0.75" from the wall.

You could get 2 of them, one for the TV and one for the marque.  Then get a rotating/extending mount for the CP.  Monoprice is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:30:15 pm by Green Giant »
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »
I looked at the mini-cute cabs, and IMO, they are pretty ugly.... and do not looks comfortable at all.

Too close to the monitor, and the control panel having no angle.

I think it would be far better to:

1) face the speakers downwards, leaving a nice flat platform to store things on top...
and Or to make a typical lit-up artsy marquee on the front.  Front facing speakers dont look so pretty.

2) Make the control panel like a file cabinet.  Slides out.. and then locks in place via a slot groove.  Held in place by gravity and your own down pressure.  Lift up over the stop groove, then push back to retract it.   This would solve the close-up distance issue.  Though, it would make building it a bit more labor intensive.   

Another option is a fold-up, or fold-out  panel.  Pivots on the wall, or operates similar to one of those small dinner folding tables. (sliding tray table)   

Yet another stand alone option:  Somewhat of a Modification of a Ladder.   The thing expands its base outwards, and locks in place.  Folds up easily when not in use.

Internal Option:  If can embed the stuff into the walls, could make a hidden fold out monitor and CP.  OR, make something that looks like a small wooden cabinet thats in front of the wall, that opens up and folds out / expands.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 11:26:49 pm »
Something that's pretty easy to get that "wall wash" effect behind the monitor is a Philips AMBX unit.

You may have to disassemble the wall washer and extend the LEDs but that shouldn't be hard.

They have a driver that installs that tracks the "overall average" color of quadrants of the monitor and washes the wall in cooresponding colors. It's a pretty slick effect. Very much like some of the newer tv's with a "backlight" halo effect that's supposed to improve your eye's ability to focus on the screen.

Nice idea, BTW

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »
Why no Pink Robots in there!?!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 11:04:42 pm »
If you're worried about playability because of depth you could exend a panel half the width of your monitor from floor to ceiling and build out from that.  The monitor would be flush with the panel plane and everyting else would extend from that plane.  You could paint it to match your current wall and use Dr. Venture's mood lighting.  People would be all like, "Hey player how'd you build that?" and you could be all slick and say, "That, oh, that's nothing.  Hildi from Trading Spaces build that for me after I kicked her outta bed"

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 11:34:24 pm »
All I can see is this

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 03:56:57 pm »
Hi all, thnx!

Yeah, I rly have to work out a way to get the monitor closer to the wall. Standard wall mounts add about 4", which adds 4" at the back of the CP and a whole lot of weight. I made a foamboard mock-up of the cabinet and the extra load changes the whole design to the point where it's not much less obtrusive than a standard cab. I'm leaning towards Green Giant's ultra-slim low-profile mount suggestion.

I'd considered a folding cp and I like the slide out cp suggestions too.

I've been experimenting w/ ways to get the rounded edges (most evident in the top-down view) and I've had good results w/ steaming balsa wood and shaping it to fit the curve. Treating the balsa wood with something like an epoxy or wood cement will make it durable enough.

In my game development business' Pro Forma I've budgeted a grand for the project and anticipate being in front of the seed fund ppl soon. As I type this I'm avoiding putting the final touches on the spreadsheets (for the 88th time).

@bender You're correct about the inspiration for the game's name. In youtube comments on the song, some1 was like "this song is about a woman battling breast cancer" and I was all like, "no, it's about about a girl named Yoshimi fighting robots, it's in the title" and they were all like, "nu-uh, Wayne even said so," and I was all like, "well Wayne's wrong too then" thereby decisively winning the argument.

@Le Chuck, lol good idea, as is any idea that elicits ppl calling you "player" or the much underused "playboy." I don't want the design to necessitate a reno (as they say on HGTV) though... for reasons I'll go into later. ;)

Finally @jimmy2x2x, thnx for the unseeable!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 12:07:21 pm »
Any news on this?

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 10:17:36 pm »

NEWS!

This really should have a new thread considering how much novelty has been packed into the final design but I wanted to use the Gill gif. Tomorrow the bendable MDF goes on!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:57:01 pm by mikejkelley »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 10:17:37 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 09:55:19 pm »
Thanks! The bendable MDF didn't bend so well. I've some more on order but it seems that it won't conform to the tightest radiuses on the cabinet so I've built a rig for bending balsa for the front section. I soak it, steam it, and then let it set. I'll keep doing that until it conforms to the bend. I'll create a laminate from multiple pieces. Considering covering it in a diluted wood glue wash before applying primer so that it doesn't soak up the paint too greedily. Also, it should strengthen it?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:23:15 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 01:30:25 am »
Thanks! The bendable MDF didn't bend so well. I've some more on order but it seems that it won't conform to the tightest radiuses on the cabinet so I've built a rig for bending balsa for the front section. I soak it, steam it, and then let it set. I'll keep doing that until it conforms to the bend. I'll create a laminate from multiple pieces. Considering covering it in a diluted wood glue wash before applying primer so that it doesn't soak up the paint too greedily. Also, it should strengthen it?

What radius are you bending? You can bend plain MDF to a minimum of 50X the thickness. I used 3mm MDF for my bend of 170mm radius.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 10:21:03 pm »
Hi Danny, I really like your cab, you did a great job with the bending. The heatgun didn't work for me so I soaked the MDF in a hot shower for 10 mins or so. It's 1/4 inch in thickness with lots of groves to help facilitate the bending. It turned out well. Here it is on one of the few 40°F+ days we have yet this year (it snowed last week). I'll let it dry overnight and then put the screws and glue to it. The last layer of balsa will still be on the rig for a couple more days. Once that goes on I'll be papering over the cracks w/ wood glue/putty and then doing a bunch of sanding/priming/sanding.

My gear arrived from focusattack.com today.  ;D

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 04:43:34 am »
I've found a better way to bend balsa.

Probably not the first one to do it this way, but I made a video just in case anyone's interested...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:46:39 am by mikejkelley »

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 04:11:49 pm »

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 04:37:02 pm »
Looks good!

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 12:43:03 am »
Thanks! It actually doesn't look as good as this IRL, I think it's just especially photogenic. I'm going to put another coat on it and a meandering white stripe.

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 08:22:28 am »
Here's the meandering stripe. Eventually it will continue up the wall.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 08:39:36 am »
Nice! :cheers:

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 09:08:06 am »
Thanks man!

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2015, 07:05:13 pm »

Here's the guts. Raspberry Pi 2 w/ usb wifi keyboard and wifi networking card. Runs recalbox.
http://www.recalbox.com/

Controls wire directly to the GPIO pins.
https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi

Monitor cables run through the wall. Since the Pi doesn't have a power switch, I opted for a remote controlled power strip to turn everything on and off. Remarkably the wifi works through the arcade shell though the access point is a ways off. Which is good because I can't get the GPIO drivers to autoload.

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 07:19:04 pm »
Cool, my Pi 2 is arriving tomorrow, I'll sure to check out Recalbox on it.  Plan on doing gpio for controls as well.  Nice looking setup with the heavy duty shelf brackets.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »
Thanks! If you need to get CLI in Pi rather than through Putty be sure you have a keyboard that doesn't need an Fn key to enable F2. Also I misspoke when I said I wired directly to the GPIO pins, I wired to a header first (as opposed to an adapter or control board, just wanted to clarify). Current issues with recalbox: still not able to autoload the GPIO drivers, can't figure out how to create a library in Kodi.

The Pi 2 is great, I think it should be everyone's 1st choice!

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2015, 01:50:00 am »
Retroboy of recalbox just informed me;

The gpio drivers are already installed and loadable on recalbox : https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/wiki/Manual-%28EN%29#6—gpio-controllers
See the recalbox.conf https://github.com/digitalLumberjack/recalbox-os/wiki/recalbox.conf-%28EN%29

so there's no need to go through the instructions listed in the previous link.

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
Re: Yoshimi Versus Wall Mount! (100% complete!)
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 11:11:33 pm »

The monitor drowns out the light and it's poorly lit to begin with, you'll just have to take my word for it; it looks a lot better in person!

The idea was to engineer something that mitigated the needs of space, time/money, and woodworking skills, and I think this wall mount does just that. I'm pleased with the way it turned out, the contours make sure it'll live comfortably among the mod furniture I'm picking out for my new house.

Quite pleased. For now. :) This is just a prototype...

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:54:24 am
  • Just because.
Re: Yoshimi Versus Wall Mount! (100% complete!)
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 04:32:14 am »
This looks really good ... except for the monitor. That does not fit at all. I would suggest doing some kind of box encasing it (perhaps including some sexy curves ?) or at least painting it to match the rest of the cab / wall. Something like this :

While I'm nagging : The cable should go vertically down to the floor, parallel to the stripe. To really top it off, you could extend the white stripe to the floor and mount the cable on the stripe.

But regardless what you do or don't do, this is a cool idea and it turned out great  :notworthy: