Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: High Score Competition #70: Sky Shark (was Hacha Mecha Fighter)  (Read 35773 times)

torino

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2011, 05:18:12 pm
  • -Banned-
Re: High Score Competition #70: Sky Shark (was Hacha Mecha Fighter)
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »
Hey there, it was you who published the score of 42520 as "ANFRNO", right?

It worked for you? No lost scores or other problems?

So, how do you like the idea of "shared scoreboard"?

Yes that was me.  I was in a hurry and couldn't think of how to write AlienInferno any better.  Probably should have just put AI.

Yeah it seems like it worked.  I only tried it that once.  I like the idea honestly.  Would be nice if you could set it up automatically for every mame game.  I just think it would be neat to be playing against other people's scores.  Just like an arcade.  You could be winning one day, leave, come back the next and knocked to last place.  Would be worth setting up my cab with wireless internet access just for this IMO.

- "You could be winning one day, leave, come back the next and knocked to last place."

Yeah, exactly. Just like an arcade!

Ok, that makes it 3 of us are now interested to actually test it, and several other people expressed interest in some more passive way, so the question is whether should we take this discussion to a separate thread until we test it and perhaps decide to expand with some new features, or should we stay in this thread?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »
Aha, statistics is on my side now, I can already see you will pick one of "my" games. There is no escape, it will be the end of you, enjoy your supremacy while it lasts, girly-autofire-man!

:applaud:

*puts on American flag tie and combs mullet*

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2011, 02:34:26 pm »
Too bad Rygar has already been played in competition. I have a 4 million plus score (on the arcade PCB). But I have a nice game in mind already.

When the same person wins 2 competitions in a row, the 2nd place winner of the 2nd competition picks the next game.  This keeps it all friendly & keeps 1 person from dominating continuously by picking games at which he/she is an expert.  (Also, the comptetitions usually run ~2 weeks, but that's not a big deal that this one was a bit short.)

@mimic: Sorry you feel that autofire should not be part of a competiton, but if you read the rules of the first post, it says NOTHING about autofire being out of the question. It also doesn't mention playing nude, putting muzzles on the wife or other things people do to make life easier. Fact=it doesn't make the game easier, just takes away the mashing that any monkey can do.

I agree completely with mimic.  I feel that using a hack or aid to interface to the controls is not in the spirit of the competition.  This wouldn't be allowed in a "serious" competition.  And although you describe it as a handicap, you also say "it's just too hot during summer to mash buttons", so this sounds like an aid to me.  Something that frees up your hand & concentration so you can focus on the joystick & bomb button would certainly be helpful when it comes to a long endurance game.  I know I couldn't play more than a couple of games in a sitting because my fingers got too fatigued.  Allowing this score to be submitted would possibly open the floodgates to other, more significant aids).

That's my $0.02 & the start of what I hope is a friendly & fair discussion--I'm not out to ruffle any feathers.

Thanks,
-Jason

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2011, 02:48:03 pm »
When the same person wins 2 competitions in a row, the 2nd place winner of the 2nd competition picks the next game.  This keeps it all friendly & keeps 1 person from dominating continuously by picking games at which he/she is an expert.  (Also, the comptetitions usually run ~2 weeks, but that's not a big deal that this one was a bit short.)

This rule is very good and I will gladly let the runner-up for Sky Shark choose the next game. [Billy Mitchell mode]Unless someone beats my score that is.  :laugh2: [/Billy Mitchell mode]

I feel that using a hack or aid to interface to the controls is not in the spirit of the competition.  This wouldn't be allowed in a "serious" competition.  And although you describe it as a handicap, you also say "it's just too hot during summer to mash buttons", so this sounds like an aid to me.  Something that frees up your hand & concentration so you can focus on the joystick & bomb button would certainly be helpful when it comes to a long endurance game.  I know I couldn't play more than a couple of games in a sitting because my fingers got too fatigued.  Allowing this score to be submitted would possibly open the floodgates to other, more significant aids).

That's my $0.02 & the start of what I hope is a friendly & fair discussion--I'm not out to ruffle any feathers.

Your argument here is also sound. May I suggest that we add this to the "stickied" part of the first post for each following competition though so that no future feathers can get ruffled? Exceptions are of course for games that have the auto fire built in (I know a few games where the default settings enable this).

I didn't make the run I recorded to win the competition though, but to show some pointers on how to play the game, something that I always loved to do/watch when arcades still were a part of the day-to-day life of youth everywhere.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2011, 03:06:07 pm »

When the same person wins 2 competitions in a row, the 2nd place winner of the 2nd competition picks the next game.  This keeps it all friendly & keeps 1 person from dominating continuously by picking games at which he/she is an expert.  (Also, the comptetitions usually run ~2 weeks, but that's not a big deal that this one was a bit short.)

Are those actual rules or more of a "tradition" so far?

I find that completely unnecessary and counter-productive, with that you are taking out one possible meaningful "reward" where there are almost none, and when you take that "prize" from the winner to choose the next game and go for the longest streak, then "barging rights" also mean less without the "build-up", tension and taunting to make it all more interesting and meaningful.

Competition is not supposed to be "friendly", it is supposed to be "competitive", which does not mean we can not stay friends, although of course if you beat my record you will be my enemy, friend still, but also the greatest enemy, in a friendly way, if you know what I mean?

Friendly competition, huh?! That's for little girls!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:20:02 pm by torino »

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2011, 03:13:58 pm »
Good rules, nice friendly comps!

Hopefully the next thread will stay more on topic, I really enjoy the game related banter, hints and tips (especially when done to the standard of Emph's very high quality vid - loved watching that one! - thanks), finding out about related games etc..

Not too keen on off topic discussion within these threads, kills the mood for me.

Play fair, have fun ;)

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »
Not too keen on off topic discussion within these threads, kills the mood for me.

This is second thread and third time you are poking at me, for no apparent reason. We are talking about how to make this competition more interesting and that's very on the topic, plus most of the people actually like the idea and do not mind discussing it. -- You do not even care enough to compete and submit your score, so how do you find appropriate to tell the rest of us what should we talk about?

It is only you who seem confused by this supplemental topic and supposedly unable to navigate the thread because of it. Until you intruded here by pretending to be "lost", as if you can not ignore it, no one complained and there was no mention to move this discussion to a separate thread. -- By the way, we are discussing your complaint right now, whether we should move "shared scoreboard" discussion to another thread, or not. I don't mind either way, but I think we should let "majority" to decide, ok?

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:26 pm »
Per the top post, "If you're a MARP competitor on this title, keep in mind this is just a friendly competition among forum members, so maybe you shouldn't enter. However, if you're a forum member and this is a game you're good at and nobody knows about it, this is your time to shine!"

So, I'd say that this is a friendly competition by definition.  There are other places to play seriously.

And, if you want something even *less* serious than what we have here, check out AtariAge's MAME competition--they don't even require screenshots, but those competitions don't get as much post traffic, they run only 1 week, they don't really discuss gameplay, & they also do occasional giant "tournaments" where you have to play 10 or so games--that's a bit much for me.  One thing I do rather like about the AA competition is that there's a scoring system & they track it.  One guy organizes the competitions & runs a pretty tight ship.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/107-arcademame-high-score-club/

Also, I agree with emphatic that, to the letter of the competition as explained in the top post, we don't say people *can't* use aids, so we should add it to the next competition.

Thanks,
-Jason

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2011, 04:39:07 pm »
I'm not getting into an argument with you here torino, you are a known argumentative thread crapper with the tenacity of a commission based Jehovah's Witness.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2011, 04:45:45 pm »

This is second thread and third time you are poking at me, for no apparent reason.

I don't think he's singling you out in any way. If you look at the TWO first pages of this thread and look at the scores submitted it's pretty clear that there's a lot of off topic stuff. Most of this has to do with me messing up by choosing a non-working game. And I agree, score submitting and strategy discussion is the fun stuff in this thread. I'd love to see a dedicated thread for your high score tool though.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2011, 05:16:43 pm »
I agree. These threads are supposed to be about the fun of the game being played, the scores, tips and tricks. It definitely kills the mood if we're talking about a bunch of setup.
That topic should have been put in another thread, regardless of whether or not it's popular.  If people don't get on board with that dedicated thread, what's the point of inserting that discussion here if just as many people aren't interested?

Torino, relax, no one is getting on your case, or taunting you as you keep repeating. Your score-sync tool is great, but it doesn't fit everyone's configuration, therefor it doesn't work for this competition since this is supposed to be friendly, easy to compete and open to everyone. If these comps start adding software requirements, it might turn a lot of people away from participating.
IMO, the work you've done would be better served if you were to try to get it actually integrated into Mame as an option to turn on/off. 

Now can we please get the thread back to the competition?  It has been a while since I've participated in these comps, and already I'm starting to get a bad vibe from this thread.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2011, 05:24:40 pm »
I'm starting to get a bad vibe from this thread.

No worries, this weeks competition is almost at an end.  :cheers:

Last day is Friday July 8 (11:59:59pm Pacific Daylight Time), 2011.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2011, 07:21:54 pm »
I think the only problem here is the lack of motivation and small number of people participating. Anyway, here is separate thread where we can discuss how to make this competition more interesting, including shared web-folder -->  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112907.0

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2011, 10:38:45 pm »
@emphatic Just quickly one more time about the autofire use. If I was in 2nd place maybe I would be more vocal about it, I really don't care as long as people that are competing for 2nd place don't mind, but I also think that left and right hand coordination has a lot to do with winning in this game, so when you take that element out I'd think that puts you at an advantage. Also the competitions also supposed to resemble arcade settings, and there wouldn't be any autofire. As to playing naked that's a whole another story, I'm not getting into! But as I mentioned if others don't care neither do I.
Waiting for the 2nd place winner to pick next game!

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2011, 04:07:34 am »
@emphatic Just quickly one more time about the autofire use. If I was in 2nd place maybe I would be more vocal about it, I really don't care as long as people that are competing for 2nd place don't mind, but I also think that left and right hand coordination has a lot to do with winning in this game, so when you take that element out I'd think that puts you at an advantage. Also the competitions also supposed to resemble arcade settings, and there wouldn't be any autofire. As to playing naked that's a whole another story, I'm not getting into! But as I mentioned if others don't care neither do I.

I'm not totally for allowing auto-fire in these comps, but then, how would anyone know? And since most of us are playing on cabs, or arcade sticks, you can hammer the fire button as quickly anyway. If it was a console competition, I would definitely say no.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2011, 04:43:40 am »

The reason autofire is being discussed at all is that I mentioned it was used when I recorded that video. There are easier ways to get a top score and make it look legit, just look at how easy scores can be added into the scoreboard by using that new high score tool. What's really stopping anyone from just entering a totally fake score? I hope the spirit of these competitions keeps us from demanding replay files or YouTube clips but that these remain a cool extra for sharing tips etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:54:27 am by emphatic »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2011, 07:07:13 am »
The reason autofire is being discussed at all is that I mentioned it was used when I recorded that video. There are easier ways to get a top score and make it look legit, just look at how easy scores can be added into the scoreboard by using that new high score tool. What's really stopping anyone from just entering a totally fake score? I hope the spirit of these competitions keeps us from demanding replay files or YouTube clips but that these remain a cool extra for sharing tips etc.

To stop people from entering fake scores you only need to make mandatory for the screenshot or photo to be taken at the time of the name registration when the character cursor is in edit mode or the current entry is still visibly selected, like this:

Of course we are still left with the possibility for people to use easier difficulty setting and more lives, or even invisibility, to reach that screen, and the only way we can verify that is by recorded .inp file or actual video. I think this competition is small enough to trust people will not cheat, and even if they do it's not a big deal, but I also think submission gameplay recordings, at least for the 1st place, would make the competition feel more "official" and meaningful. -- On the other hand, I don't mind autofire at all. Little girls don't like to perspire, so I think we should let them use it.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2011, 07:35:16 am »

That topic should have been put in another thread, regardless of whether or not it's popular.  If people don't get on board with that dedicated thread, what's the point of inserting that discussion here if just as many people aren't interested?

But *everyone* said they are interested, except jimmy boy, including you, and then several other people came here to express their interest who would otherwise not even post in this thread. I'm trying to make this competition (this very thread) more interesting and attract new people, but you seem already overwhelmed as if there is 100 of us here all talking in the same time. I don't get it.

If these comps start adding software requirements, it might turn a lot of people away from participating.

There is no software requirement any more than this forum is "software requirement" for you to post the screenshot. Hi-score files can be copied over to another computer, just like you did with your screenshot. It's just that using shared scoreboard SYNC.BAT to publish .hi file records is easier and more automatic than attaching a screenshot to your post on this forum, wouldn't you agree? Come to new thread and tell us about it please: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112907.0

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2011, 11:06:08 am »
On the other hand, I don't mind autofire at all. Little girls don't like to perspire, so I think we should let them use it.

In order for your taunts to have any bearing, you should post a score higher than that poor excuse you offered up earlier in the thread. Just sayin'.  :afro:

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2011, 11:40:10 am »
On the other hand, I don't mind autofire at all. Little girls don't like to perspire, so I think we should let them use it.

In order for your taunts to have any bearing, you should post a score higher than that poor excuse you offered up earlier in the thread. Just sayin'.  :afro:

Hahahaa! That's so true. Touché!

I don't think anyone has any doubt you can do it without it, but it's just kind of girly, you might as well use vibrator instead.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »
@emphatic Just quickly one more time about the autofire use...

I'm not totally for allowing auto-fire in these comps, but then, how would anyone know?...

No one would know of course. But because we don't play for golden britches or diamond encrusted arcade cabinet that's why it's assumed that honor system is enough here. If you cheat just to have your pick of a game to be played next, then you really only cheating yourself by not knowing how you stack up against others. I don't think anyone can question emphatics ability to play flying shark, but... would his score be equally high? As I mentioned before as long as second place winner don't complain, then it's all good with me, but I'd think that 2nd place winner has every right to DQ emphatic.

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »
As I mentioned before as long as second place winner don't complain, then it's all good with me, but I'd think that 2nd place winner has every right to DQ emphatic.

I'm unsure if emphatic's score is even intended to be an offiicial competition submission:

"I still don't feel comfortable claiming the #1 spot in a game I myself chose that I already know I'm good at."

"I didn't make the run I recorded to win the competition though"

emphatic, is this an official submission?

If it is an official submission & it bumps me to 2nd or 3rd, then I will be OK with that (well, I'll be just a tad grumpy, thanks to my competitive nature, but that's my own shortcoming--emphatic didn't violate anything that was spelled out in our limited & terse guidelines), as long as we update the rules in the next post to disallow such aids in the future.

:)

Thanks,
-Jason

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2011, 01:27:11 am »
My submission wasn't ever competition material. More like a tutorial kinda deal. Then some folks suggested it to be counted, but I'd rather have the runner-up choose the next game. That's just how awesome I am. :)

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2011, 02:40:00 am »
@emphatic Just quickly one more time about the autofire use...

I'm not totally for allowing auto-fire in these comps, but then, how would anyone know?...

No one would know of course. But because we don't play for golden britches or diamond encrusted arcade cabinet that's why it's assumed that honor system is enough here. If you cheat just to have your pick of a game to be played next, then you really only cheating yourself by not knowing how you stack up against others. I don't think anyone can question emphatics ability to play flying shark, but... would his score be equally high? As I mentioned before as long as second place winner don't complain, then it's all good with me, but I'd think that 2nd place winner has every right to DQ emphatic.

If you read my post very, very carefully, you'll see that I am ambivalent about it. Someone could use it, someone could not. In the end it's just a friendly comp, and I can't actually imagine anyone photoshopping a score just to win...

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2011, 02:46:45 am »
My submission wasn't ever competition material. More like a tutorial kinda deal. Then some folks suggested it to be counted, but I'd rather have the runner-up choose the next game. That's just how awesome I am. :)

;D

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2011, 07:10:47 am »

That's true, but where did you ever get the idea not to compete just because you are good?

What's that all about, why? What sense does it make, tell me just one actual reason, please?

Wouldn't it better if we every time had a winner like you, a true champion, so we all can learn?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2011, 07:19:20 am »
I'm unsure if emphatic's score is even intended to be an offiicial competition submission:

"I still don't feel comfortable claiming the #1 spot in a game I myself chose that I already know I'm good at."

"I didn't make the run I recorded to win the competition though"

emphatic, is this an official submission?

Why are you even asking him? So your score looks better?

He submitted his score with that video, and that's perfectly valid entry according to rules.

You making the whole situation awkward. In one hand winning is not important in "friendly" competition, whatever is that supposed to mean, but on the other hand winning is important enough to disqualify true champion so that losers can feel better about their pathetic scores and enjoy their false rankings where victory is not won but given, huh?!  

Where did anyone ever see any team let the other win just becasue they won the last time so it's "fair" the other team wins the next time? How does that make it interesting for anyone and what in the world is "friendly" about it? What sense does it make?

Do you have a single reason WHY would you even suggest someone's entry be disqualified just becasue they are very good in this game?

WHY would you mind if winner could choose the next game every time, what is "not friendly" about it, can you name any ACTUAL REASON?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:23:53 am by torino »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2011, 07:20:04 am »
If you read my post very, very carefully, you'll see that I am ambivalent about it. Someone could use it, someone could not. In the end it's just a friendly comp, and I can't actually imagine anyone photoshopping a score just to win...

What is the point of competition where winning is discouraged and being good is not welcome?

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2011, 07:30:00 am »

What is the point of competition where winning is discouraged and being good is not welcome?

You still don't get it do you?

This is a friendly thread about playing games and having fun, not about arguing, not about techincal information or anything else - if you want to do any of that, make another thread!

Its about playing and banter about playing, please don't crap all over the next thread.

Next game please!

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2011, 07:47:43 am »
You are not getting it, little troll, and you never will unless you actually address the point in my question:

- What EXACTLY is "not friendly" about competition where winning is encouraged and being good is actually welcome?

- WHY would winner not choose the next game every time, what is "not friendly" about it, is there any ACTUAL REASON?

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2011, 08:17:03 am »
You are not getting it, little troll, and you never will unless you actually address the point in my question:

- What EXACTLY is "not friendly" about competition where winning is encouraged and being good is actually welcome?

- WHY would winner not choose the next game every time, what is "not friendly" about it, is there any ACTUAL REASON?

Nuance my friend, nuance. Jimmy2x2x. There's still some time to go, and I live in the future (down under) so tomorrow morning I'll try and improve my score to submit by the deadline. I'm hoping to get in the top 3 (",)

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2011, 08:26:54 am »
Good man!

I'm usually pretty decent at shmups, but Sky Shark is somewhat unfamiliar to me and requires more time to practice than I have right now, the always keep moving mechanic sounds simple enough - but you have to combine with pattern learning and consider your planes speed at all times.  Not an easy combo with limited time and excellent score submissions!

Posted from the future ;)

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2011, 10:52:58 am »
where did you ever get the idea not to compete just because you are good?

Because I chose the game I feel that I have the upper-hand from the get-go (I choose it ONLY because it's awesome and more people should have a real taste).

What's that all about, why? What sense does it make, tell me just one actual reason, please?

If the above is not reason enough for you then so be it. Just drop it. I am fully capable of fighting my own battles.

Wouldn't it better if we every time had a winner like you, a true champion, so we all can learn?

How would my score teach you anything? My video on the other hand should tell you plenty and hopefully show you that while the game is hard, it's not completely unfair or impossible. The part where I game over'ed I've managed to get past many times before (when I was young and hungry), so it's not impossible either.

I don't know how "friendly competition" rhymes with name-calling etc. It's the Internet, so nuanced irony/sarcasm doesn't work like in real life. Trash talk is hard when you're not face to face.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:04 am »
This is getting ugly real fast for no reason.

the following is mostly directed at torino who is calling people trolls and became emphatic's posse because he tested his software (or at least seems like that)

First of all if you've followed these competitions then you know there always was a rule about people competing in MARP to recuse themselves

There were many instances that people after winning one competition and introducing their pick would recuse themselves from participation in their pick because they felt they are very good at the game they picked and wanted to give chance to others, that was true untill someone in one of the competitions (cough epyx cough) decided they still wanted to compete, which was fine too since 2nd place winner was choosing next game anyway.

Having said that no one has problem with emphatics competing in a game he is clearly superior and autofire issue became an issue only when he mentioned it and basically introduced a precedence of something unfamiliar that wasn't dealt with before.

That's it, no need to veer off the friendly teritory and call people names.

EDIT: I wrote the above without realising Emphatic dealt with the issue himself at the same time. Spoken like a champ.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:18:59 am by mimic »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2011, 11:58:33 am »

Because I chose the game I feel that I have the upper-hand from the get-go (I choose it ONLY because it's awesome and more people should have a real taste).

If the above is not reason enough for you then so be it.

That's not reason, that's assumption and it's insulting to everyone, but you are not joking, you really do overestimate yourself that much, and you kind of feel sorry for us enough to consider you gesture as "friendly" where it is actually patronizing and offensively condescending.

Just drop it. I am fully capable of fighting my own battles.

I'm not fighting your battles. I just want to make this competition interesting enough for me to actually compete.

Drop what? Can you tell me who won this competition and who should choose the next game?

How would my score teach you anything? My video on the other hand should tell you plenty and hopefully show you that while the game is hard, it's not completely unfair or impossible. The part where I game over'ed I've managed to get past many times before (when I was young and hungry), so it's not impossible either.

And how would we ever get that video if I did not taunt you to compete?

I don't know how "friendly competition" rhymes with name-calling etc. It's the Internet, so nuanced irony/sarcasm doesn't work like in real life. Trash talk is hard when you're not face to face.

Huh?! I was teasing you because I like you, that's what friends do to motivate and support each other, but you have to have some sense of humour for that to work, sorry. I was joking, for the love of drugs, I thought it was obvious, ok?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2011, 12:11:59 pm »
...because they felt they are very good at the game they picked and wanted to give chance to others...

That's false logic based on arrogant assumption. -- Tell me please, when you play chess, for example, do you just roll the dice first to decide the winner and make it all "fair" and "friendly"? Perhaps when you are "too good" you just let your opponent win to make it all more interesting, and you think that kind of patronizing deception is "friendly", "motivating" or "helpful"?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2011, 12:51:22 pm »
 :blah:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:30:27 pm by emphatic »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2011, 02:00:32 pm »
Eh, I got it before you deleted it. -- Why do you hesitate to talk? This competition is over, our discussion should not bother anyone any more. And that's why we're here, to talk, that's the purpose of this forum, so speak your mind, my friend.

Choosing a game you know very well will get you an advantage over someone who's hasn't played it before. True or false?

You wish! Persistence and motivation is what really matters. -- If you submitted your score early someone amazing, like me, could have beaten it with enough time and motivation given, and that would make the whole competition much more interesting, wouldn't it? But how can that happen if people "participate" without competing, that does not even make any sense.

Besides, you do not know what games other people have played before, which makes it all that much more interesting, a bit of gamble, and there might be cool strategies developed if everyone tried for the longest streak. In how many games can you really be better than everyone else? How well can you choose your "next game"? Would not that be interesting to find out?

Alternatively, why bother reporting scores, or even play, let us all just be friends and agree everyone is a winner?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2011, 02:04:54 pm »
Eh, I got it before you deleted it.

That's too bad. After checking up on your post history here, it's pretty clear to me that I have nothing further to talk to you about. "Nice" getting to know you.  :tool:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2011, 02:17:56 pm »
Anyways, I couldn't get a better score than the one I submitted. I love the game, but I admit I'm not so great at it. 
It's really difficult if you die once, to get that momentum back up. Especially being reset to little pee-shooter shots.

Sifting through all the crap in this thread, from what I can tell, jasonbar has the leading score and I'm in second. Nicely done bro!

There's still 45mins left in this comp according to the deadline (11:59:59pm Pacific Daylight Time).
Any more submissions?