Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: High Score Competition #70: Sky Shark (was Hacha Mecha Fighter)  (Read 35773 times)

torino

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2011, 05:18:12 pm
  • -Banned-
Re: High Score Competition #70: Sky Shark (was Hacha Mecha Fighter)
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 09:07:00 am »

Also, no .bat business is required to compete, even though it's quite a nifty feature.

Of course, and I am glad you like it. So, did you try it again?

Do you have any local records registered for script to publish?

Default settings should be used.

Default setting may differ from version to version, and also some people might not even pay attention to their DIP SWITCH setting unless it is specifically stated and clearly underlined as an important part for the competition rules.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:15:59 am by torino »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 10:55:07 am »
I have updated the first post with this info:
Settings:
Medium difficulty
Extend 50K, 200K, 150K+
Lives: 3

This should be the default setting for Sky Shark.

I'm gonna delete my skyshark.hi and try the bat again before I play this tonight (recording my run for YouTube upload).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:57:42 am by emphatic »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 11:23:41 am »
I have updated the first post with this info:
Settings:
Medium difficulty
Extend 50K, 200K, 150K+
Lives: 3

This should be the default setting for Sky Shark.

Ok, so I have a slight problem then. I'm using MAME .88 and I don't have "Extend 50K, 200K, 150K+", only "50, 150K+" and some other different option. Also I should mention perhaps, in this version there is four difficulty levels, where 2nd one (default) is called "normal". What version of MAME are you using?

I'm gonna delete my skyshark.hi and try the bat again before I play this tonight (recording my run for YouTube upload).

Cool. Good luck.

If the .BAT does it's job you should see all those scores as in that screenshot. -- I noticed a little bug, there would be zeros at the end of some name instead of blank spaces. I already corrected this in download link, and if you like you can update your .BAT too.

Code: [Select]
@echo off & SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
SET GM=skyshark
CLS & echo Mapping OnlineMAME web-folder
net use z: http://www.drivehq.com/webdav/OnlineMAME /user:OnlineMAME letmeplay

echo. & echo Local init, locking...
mkdir hi
rename z:\Hi-Score\%GM%.hi %GM%.tmp

echo. & echo File locked, downloading...
copy z:\Hi-Score\%GM%.tmp hi\%GM%.hi

echo. & echo Merging Hi-Scores, wait...
FOR /f "skip=1 tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=|" %%A IN ('HiToText -r ../hi/%GM%') DO (
SET /a IsDuplicate=0
FOR /f "skip=1 tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=|" %%E IN ('HiToText -r ./hi/%GM%') DO (
IF %%B==%%F (IF %%C==%%G SET /a IsDuplicate=1) )
IF !IsDuplicate!==0 HiToText -w ./hi/%GM% %%A %%B "%%C      ." %%D
)

echo. & echo Uploading back, unlocking...
copy hi\%GM%.hi ..\hi\%GM%.hi /y
copy hi\%GM%.hi z:\Hi-Score\%GM%.hi

echo. & echo  - SERVER UPDATE FINISHED - & echo.

echo. & echo Cleaning up temporaries...
del z:\Hi-Score\%GM%.tmp
del hi\%GM%.hi & rmdir hi

ONLY CHANGE: --> IF !IsDuplicate!==0 HiToText -w ./hi/%GM% %%A %%B "%%C      ." %%D

Anyway, it's not a big deal whatever you do since we are only testing, and in any case none of that should impact your screenshot or .inp file to make an entry for this competition.

Raitsa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 11:04:41 am
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 11:32:31 am »
torino´s scoreboard thingy needs its own topic and IMHO it should be included in the most popular MAME-versions as a choosable option (for all games), its such a cool feature.  :applaud:

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 12:30:58 pm »
Although I won't participate in the shared high score system (because my cabinet isn't on a network & because I'm a software flunky), if somebody wants to perform the manual input of our scores & present them in a high score screen grab as torino is doing, that is a *GREAT* way to show our scores visually--sure beats having to dig through the thread & pick out all the scores!

Thanks,
-Jason

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »
...can you please explain in few words what do you like, or not like, about this idea? Thank you.
Sounds like a fine idea, but I'm running DOS in my cocktail cab without a network connection. I'm talking true DOS, boots up straight to my mame UI, no network drivers, no services, just a nice clean and fast boot...none of that windows crap. ;)

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 01:49:07 pm »
Ok, so I have a slight problem then. I'm using MAME .88 and I don't have "Extend 50K, 200K, 150K+", only "50, 150K+" and some other different option. Also I should mention perhaps, in this version there is four difficulty levels, where 2nd one (default) is called "normal". What version of MAME are you using?

I'm using 0.140. If you select the "show dip switches" in the DIP SWITCHES option of MAME, you should have the "B" difficulty. With the extends setting you have, you still get the second extend at 200K, right, as 50K + 150K = 200K? :)

BTW, when running the batch file, I get a "SYSTEM 85 error" as the unit Z: is already mounted. But removing my skyshark.hi file and running the new sync file worked wonders. I see all scores in-game now. Very cool. I'll play in a short while and top that score, just putting the kids to bed first.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:57:49 pm by emphatic »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2011, 02:51:25 pm »
torino´s scoreboard thingy needs its own topic and IMHO it should be included in the most popular MAME-versions as a choosable option (for all games), its such a cool feature.  :applaud:

I already had a thread about it, and although the topic attracted some attention no one cared enough to actually try it out. I then decided to suggest some automated version of "live scoreboard", based on this, to Twin Galaxies, but their forum seem pretty deserted so I did not even bother, and I also went to MARP, but their forum does not even seem to accept any new registrations.

Anyway, the problem with this early "prototype" solution, using public web-folder, is that anyone can do whatever they like with server files, so it's only suitable for small closed circles, like this "forum competition" for example. Still, since it is very easy to enter whatever score without even playing the game, it should be mandatory for screenshot or photo to be at time of the name registration where the current entry is visibly selected or character cursor is still in "edit mode".

If there was real interest in this "Live Arcade Scoreboard" thing, like there is for PlayStation and Xbox networks, then this would need more serious server able to provide individual accounts and backup system, plus enforce mandatory submission of .inp files to avoid cheating and stuff. Kind of like MARP or TG, where the only difference would be that submissions could be done with a single press of a button, or automatically when the game starts and exists back to some front-end, as well as that everyone could actually see current scoreboard right there in the games itself.

It may be easier to get from 100 to 1000 than from 0 to 10 people.
Perhaps it is not easy for people to realize just how cool this could be.
We need sponsors, prizes and promotions to make it really really cool, fast.

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2011, 02:56:02 pm »
Is this the right place for the high score comp?

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »
Although I won't participate in the shared high score system (because my cabinet isn't on a network & because I'm a software flunky), if somebody wants to perform the manual input of our scores & present them in a high score screen grab as torino is doing, that is a *GREAT* way to show our scores visually--sure beats having to dig through the thread & pick out all the scores!

Thanks,
-Jason

Everyone can enter scores themselves from (almost) whatever computer they use to post messages on this forum. The computer does not need to have MAME and you do not need to copy anything from or to the machine you are playing on, so the only disadvantage would be that you yourself will not see complete scoreboard, unless you afterwards copy "skyshark.hi" over to your cabinet via USB stick or something.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »

Yes. Everything is explained in the 1st post - make sure you have correct DIP SWITCH settings, and then you only need to attach screenshot, or photo, to your post when you register some score in order to submit it and participate in this competition. -- If you can break the top record I suppose input recording would be welcome submission too, not only to verify your score, but also to let us learn some tricks and enjoy watching your gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:16:46 pm by torino »

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2011, 04:19:44 pm »
Sounds like a fine idea, but I'm running DOS in my cocktail cab without a network connection. I'm talking true DOS, boots up straight to my mame UI, no network drivers, no services, just a nice clean and fast boot...none of that windows crap

Me too. I'm playing this on my laptop. -- If this happens to become popular, by some chance, I would seek to obtain source code of HiToText utility and port it to DOS, then it would all be a matter of finding DOS network drivers for the particular card you might want to plug in there.

Alternatively, you can always transfer .hi files via USB stick, or some other drive, between your MAME cabinet and the computer that does have internet connection (where you actually do the web-syncing).

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »
I'm using 0.140. If you select the "show dip switches" in the DIP SWITCHES option of MAME, you should have the "B" difficulty. With the extends setting you have, you still get the second extend at 200K, right, as 50K + 150K = 200K?

I think you're right, that indeed does look like the same settings, with different "name". In any case I'll switch to same MAME version as yours.

BTW, when running the batch file, I get a "SYSTEM 85 error" as the unit Z: is already mounted. But removing my skyshark.hi file and running the new sync file worked wonders. I see all scores in-game now. Very cool. I'll play in a short while and top that score, just putting the kids to bed first.

Cool. If you run SYNC.BAT once more after you register some scores and exit the game, I will do the same and then I will be able to verify if I can see your records as well. You too can verify if the server file has been updated properly if you rename or delete your local "skyshark.hi" file and run SYNC.BAT to download a new master copy from the server.

That error is fine, it tells us that mapping has already been done. We could un-map the drive at the end of .BAT file after each web-syncing to avoid that message, but it takes some time until the drive can be mapped again, so I just leave it mapped all the time to make testing faster.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »
Perhaps we should move this discussion (high score sharing) to a different thread? This is very off topic now. Also, when I ran sync.bat my actual high score got erased. Not cool, so I'm not doing that again without a backup file.

I had a few games tonight, and made it through the first loop and into stage 4 even though I'm rusty and had auto fire (not recommend for this game). The bullets are faster and twice as many in the second loop.

The input file seems to be broken though, but not until the very end, so most is watchable.  :cheers: The effect is quite comical, as the broken input ending before reaching the actual score and entering AAAAA beneath my #1 spot. High score . I'm making an xvid encode now (with added scanlines), so I have a smaller file to upload tomorrow, it's taking forever.  :banghead:

Final score, 1,043,140

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »
Perhaps we should move this discussion (high score sharing) to a different thread? This is very off topic now. Also, when I ran sync.bat my actual high score got erased. Not cool, so I'm not doing that again without a backup file.

More scores, less technical stuff IMO. :)

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:18 pm »

I don't think it's off topic since it is directly related to the possible way how to organize, sort, visually present and make more interesting this very competition. There are only few people competing anyway and if we were not talking about this there would hardly be any posts in this thread at all, or so it would seem. -- jimmy2x2x there was just poking at me, for some reason, he is not really lost and we did not really stray away since all that is important is explained in the 1st post. In any case, we are just talking, that's why we're here, and it's easy to ignore for everyone who does not like the idea and wishes to do so.

I have no clue how could hi-scores get erased, especially since at first the script apperantly works and imports server scoreboard correctly. I can't erase scores even on purpose and everything works fine from my computer every time. I suppose the problem may be we are using different MAME version and probably different "hiscore.dat" version, so possibly these formats are slightly different and HiToText does not fully support either your or mine version. I have yet to find, or build, MAME .140 with hi-score support to be able to test what is going on.

Yeah, you should make a backup, hahaa! Sorry, we're just testing, but you got your screenshot and .inp file regardless, so not a big deal, right? In any case, you can use HiToText utility to insert that score back there, and if you got the screenshot I can do it for you like I did for other records.

Final score, 1,043,140

Sheesh! I don't think I have any chance getting anywhere close to that any time soon, especially not with laptop and while playing on a keyboard.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2011, 07:14:05 pm »
Final score, 1,043,140

Sheesh! I don't think I have any chance getting anywhere close to that any time soon, especially not with laptop and while playing on a keyboard.

Well, I did the recording as someone requested to see the whole game (and hear it, the music is fantastic, one of my favorites), but I still don't feel comfortable claiming the #1 spot in a game I myself chose that I already know I'm good at. So the runner-up gets to choose the next game, now work at it!  :angry:  :cheers:

Well, it may be "OK" for the other people in this thread that some discussion of your score tool, but it's better to have a dedicated thread in case it finally get's recognition (for forum search purposes among other things). Also, if you created a thread (or bumped the old one you made) your can edit the download link, info etc. and keep it all nice and available in the first post instead like here where the first page is a mishmash of Hacha Mecha Fighter that doesn't even work in MAME then Sky Shark. Catch my drift? Now I'm off to bed, will upload to YouTube before going to work early tomorrow.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:42 am »
I find this game rather difficult.  Highest I've been able to get after a little over an hour of play is 77,600.   :-[

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 01:42:11 am »
Emph, I still wanna see that video man. From one SHMUP-brother to another, I'd love to see you play! Especially an unforgiving game like this.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2011, 02:03:51 am »
Twin Cobra is way cooler.
-Banned-

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 03:17:59 am »
Twin Cobra is way cooler.

IMHO, they can't be compared. While both developed by Toaplan, Sky Shark has better music, and a gameplay that's more typical for their other games. I love 'em both though. Didn't have time for an upload yet, it's coming though.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 04:51:30 am »

Thanks,
-Jason

Exactly my situation, not connected to net, and don't want it to be. In my opinion Microsoft products should never have internet access  :D  And I'm a software flunky. By the way, does this sys.bat thing exist for V78 of MAME?

But feel free to load them up manually. Looks good so far (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 06:16:14 am »

:duckhunt

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 06:21:25 am »
Well, I did the recording as someone requested to see the whole game (and hear it, the music is fantastic, one of my favorites), but I still don't feel comfortable claiming the #1 spot in a game I myself chose that I already know I'm good at. So the runner-up gets to choose the next game, now work at it!  :angry:  :cheers:

Taunting works on me, but giving up the 1st place is not motivating at all. I really think you should go for the longest streak, win several competitions in a row and be very loud about it, keep teasing people how they play like little girls and then you will get me mad enough to actually compete and overthrow you from the throne.

When there is only 4-5 people in the whole competition the only other thing that would motivate me is this "shared scoreboard" thing, as I would take a pleasure in knowing you are looking at my top score while you're playing on your cabinet, so to keep you constantly reminded who is the bestest of the best and the king of all kongs.

Well, it may be "OK" for the other people in this thread that some discussion of your score tool, but it's better to have a dedicated thread in case it finally get's recognition (for forum search purposes among other things). Also, if you created a thread (or bumped the old one you made) your can edit the download link, info etc. and keep it all nice and available in the first post instead like here where the first page is a mishmash of Hacha Mecha Fighter that doesn't even work in MAME then Sky Shark. Catch my drift? Now I'm off to bed, will upload to YouTube before going to work early tomorrow.

If we separate those topics this thread would be left with 4 people and the new thread would have 1.

Together I though we could make it more interesting and attract at least 10 people, but people are lazy.

Anyway, there is nothing more to say about it, we're done. People are simply not interested, and that's it.

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 02:16:20 pm »
More scores, less technical stuff IMO. :)

OK, you asked for it!   ;D

-Jason

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »
Nicely done bro!  Game on!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2011, 03:57:52 pm »
Nicely done bro!  Game on!

Indeed!

Finally got my video done. I have taken a long time completing a running text commentary, so I would appreciate if at least some of you watched it with that switched on.  :cheers:

upprc04

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 01:25:59 am
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2011, 06:00:38 pm »
What did you use for auto fire?  I saw you had a comment that you had it on in the video that you were using autofire.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2011, 06:34:17 pm »
What did you use for auto fire?  I saw you had a comment that you had it on in the video that you were using autofire.

Built into my MAME build. I used the #5 speed setting. But autofire doesn't fit this game very well, usually (when I play this in my cabinet) I never use autofire because it causes gaps in the fire rate if you fire at full speed. It's only good for close combat (taking down a boss) but for level play it's kind of dangerous for your health.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »
Yeah, I never did like auto-fire. Always messed up the shooting rate I try to keep track of while playing.

Thanks for the video and the commentary, lots of good information here! (never knew about that bomb item trick).
You're awesome at this game!

Are you using the LS-32 with FrancoB's mod here? I really want to get my hands on that mod as I do really love the LS-32 as a shmup stick.

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2011, 08:52:15 pm »
Thx for the video finally I know what happens next in this game and how pros handle it, and the commentary is a nice bonus! I could've try to strugle with continues but that's not the same as seeing the game uninterrupted.
But... one objection I might have is the use of autofire, if and that's a tiny if you're competing for first place, that would be a no-no. Your word that you didn't would be sufficient for me and hopefuly for others, as it's apparent you know what you're doing in this game.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2011, 11:22:18 pm »
Thanks for the video man.  Watching you play this as well as majest12 in the last high score competition showed me two things.  I need alot of practice.  And more practice.  Good job though.  I've been trying to record my games as well so if by some miracle of luck I do half decent I may post it. 

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:25 am »
Yeah, I never did like auto-fire. Always messed up the shooting rate I try to keep track of while playing.

Thanks for the video and the commentary, lots of good information here! (never knew about that bomb item trick).
You're awesome at this game!

Are you using the LS-32 with FrancoB's mod here? I really want to get my hands on that mod as I do really love the LS-32 as a shmup stick.

Yeah, the autofire is a handicap in this game really, but it's just too hot during summer to mash buttons, even though I've always used the double-finger tap (as displayed in "The King Of Kong") for intense moments (the longest boss fight is that huge plane in area 97). I guess I'm just too used to the luxury of built in autofire from the CAVE games.

The bomb trick is something that I've discovered quite recently actually, and since I've never seen anyone else do it (even watched a few YouTube vids) I just had to put an explanation out there.  :cheers:

And finally, yes, I'm play-testing the enhanced LS-32. It's a thing of beauty, even though I still prefer my modified SUZO 500 or the virtstick (check the AO forums/Gallery for info and pictures of that one) for shumps.

@mimic: Sorry you feel that autofire should not be part of a competiton, but if you read the rules of the first post, it says NOTHING about autofire being out of the question. It also doesn't mention playing nude, putting muzzles on the wife or other things people do to make life easier. Fact=it doesn't make the game easier, just takes away the mashing that any monkey can do.

@all: If you want to learn more tricks or strategies that can be applied to ALL games, check out this PDF written by the western record holder for Do-Donpachi, PROMETHEUS: http://forum.shmupemall.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=431#p9243
It's written in a humorous style that's meant to provoke a bit, so don't get angry, smile and read on. The part about training using save states I don't agree on, because for me it takes away all that's fun with arcade games = progress from a single credit.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2011, 09:38:47 am »
Finally got my video done. I have taken a long time completing a running text commentary, so I would appreciate if at least some of you watched it with that switched on.  :cheers:

Very nice! So you got over 1 mil. and had quite a few lives left, but then you lost them all pretty quickly - did you just stop playing there on purpose as the score was already way over anyone else's pathetic abilities, and so that was enough to show it off, like Billy Mitchell did in King of Kong? That's way too cool, and taunting! You got my attention buddy, I am starting to get motivated and I'm warming up, perhaps not for this game, but better watch out what next game are you going to choose! Your reign is coming to an end... brace yourself, here I come!!!

By the way, I updated server scoreboard and inserted new records, including yours. I am now using MAME .141, which I downloaded from 'hiscore.dat' website: http://highscore.mameworld.info/download.htm - the build, beside hi-scores support, also has nag screen removed. Everything again works fine here with this version too, just as before, no missing or erased scores.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:57 am »
Thanks for the video man.  Watching you play this as well as majest12 in the last high score competition showed me two things.  I need alot of practice.  And more practice.  Good job though.  I've been trying to record my games as well so if by some miracle of luck I do half decent I may post it. 

Hey there, it was you who published the score of 42520 as "ANFRNO", right?

It worked for you? No lost scores or other problems?

So, how do you like the idea of "shared scoreboard"?

Well, if there is at least half of us here who would like to use this we can open a new thread to discuss it, but I think the only people who would be interested are already here in this thread, so I don't see much point in separating that topic from this one, especially since it is meant to be an addition to this very competition, to complement it and possibly make it more interesting, perhaps even attract new people.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2011, 11:08:00 am »
Very nice! So you got over 1 mil. and had quite a few lives left, but then you lost them all pretty quickly - did you just stop playing there on purpose as the score was already way over anyone else's pathetic abilities, and so that was enough to show it off, like Billy Mitchell did in King of Kong? That's way too cool, and taunting! You got my attention buddy, I am starting to get motivated and I'm warming up, perhaps not for this game, but better watch out what next game are you going to choose! Your reign is coming to an end... brace yourself, here I come!!!

I just couldn't get past that part of the stage. I wasn't even close to getting past it when I recorded, but the .inp file is corrupted somehow, so it fails even before I did.

Too bad Rygar has already been played in competition. I have a 4 million plus score (on the arcade PCB). But I have a nice game in mind already.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »
Exactly my situation, not connected to net, and don't want it to be. In my opinion Microsoft products should never have internet access  :D  And I'm a software flunky. By the way, does this sys.bat thing exist for V78 of MAME?

I'm also not connected, I was playing on my laptop so far, but I can transfer files by taking out hard drive from the cabinet and connect it to another computer with Windows and internet connection. That's very inconvenient, yes, but if you have USB port on your cabinet computer it could be very simple to transfer .hi files with USB stick. 

I tried this with .141, .88 and .97, and I don't see why would any other version produce different format, so I think it should work, but it's always best to actually try, then we will know for sure.

But feel free to load them up manually. Looks good so far (",)

I don't mind doing that while I'm here, but the part of motivation for me is that you could see my score on your cabinet, otherwise this feature looses it's full charm potential. If at least half of the people actually decide to use it, then I suppose the whole thing would feel "official" and purposeful enough to justify manual score inserting (for the lazy ones).

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »
Hey there, it was you who published the score of 42520 as "ANFRNO", right?

It worked for you? No lost scores or other problems?

So, how do you like the idea of "shared scoreboard"?

Yes that was me.  I was in a hurry and couldn't think of how to write AlienInferno any better.  Probably should have just put AI.

Yeah it seems like it worked.  I only tried it that once.  I like the idea honestly.  Would be nice if you could set it up automatically for every mame game.  I just think it would be neat to be playing against other people's scores.  Just like an arcade.  You could be winning one day, leave, come back the next and knocked to last place.  Would be worth setting up my cab with wireless internet access just for this IMO.

torino

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2011, 12:59:41 pm »
I just couldn't get past that part of the stage. I wasn't even close to getting past it when I recorded, but the .inp file is corrupted somehow, so it fails even before I did.

Awww, I wish you would be more like Billy Mitchell, more taunting kind of person, you know? Anyhow, does that, what you said, mean the game gets much harder at that point or you just lost concentration by that time, or something?

Too bad Rygar has already been played in competition. I have a 4 million plus score (on the arcade PCB). But I have a nice game in mind already.

Aha, statistics is on my side now, I can already see you will pick one of "my" games. There is no escape, it will be the end of you, enjoy your supremacy while it lasts, girly-autofire-man!

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline