Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SpectraLite vs. Ultralux vs. Paradise Arcade Illuminated Buttons  (Read 65404 times)

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: SpectraLite vs. Ultralux
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 11:39:16 am »
Looks like the buttons at Jamma Parts as well as Twisted Quarter come with a black washer. Might have to throw a couple more in the mix for comparison. Also, have you installed the buttons in a panel to see how they compare with each other while installed? Don't know if that would make a difference or not.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:41:04 am by Nephasth »

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
Re: SpectraLite vs. Ultralux vs Paradise Arcade LED buttons
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:07 pm »
Good job!  The forum needs more stuff like this!  The average consumer could give 2 (insert favorite profanity here) about things like laws of light or anything like that.  We buy the buttons because of the way they look and play.  So all we really care about is the look and play.  I didn't put leds on my cp and asked my buddies to come check out the laws of light being demonstrated!

Awesome, unbiased, well written review!

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 12:38:49 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Looks like the buttons at Jamma Parts as well as Twisted Quarter come with a black washer. Might have to throw a couple more in the mix for comparison. Also, have you installed the buttons in a panel to see how they compare with each other while installed? Don't know if that would make a difference or not.

I'd love to review all 5 buttons, side by side.  But at the moment, I don't have the money to purchase some more buttons.  Maybe some day.   Or if the Twisted Quarter or Jamma Parts people would like to send me one to review, to see how theirs stack up, I'd be happy to review them!   ;D

Also, I did not take any pictures of the buttons in an actual control panel.  I don't imagine that would change anything as far as the lighting, or anything that I've covered so far.   One thing I do feel it would help judge better though, is the effectiveness of that black washer.  Some day I may do that to see if it makes any difference.  If I do that, I'll be sure to post a picture.

armi0024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2023, 09:57:36 pm
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »
I know I have a slight bias, but, I will try to be as un biased as possible here and only state facts.
1) Washers don't affect light but are different on the different buttons.  They are one way to differentiate buttons if the are present. There function is actualy to be placed on the top of the control panel to slightly raise the buttons and allow them to be used in a 24 mm hole.

From the buttons I have ordered, Twisted Quarter, Jammaboards, and GGG supply the same version of the button. Twisted Quarter was using e-switch, Jammaboards and GGG were using Zippy's.
Twisted Quarter and GGG match the led for the button color, Jammaboards supplied white LEDs with their colored buttons. 

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:56:55 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »
I know I have a slight bias, but, I will try to be as un biased as possible here and only state facts.
1) Washers don't affect light but are different on the different buttons.  They are one way to differentiate buttons if the are present. There function is actualy to be placed on the top of the control panel to slightly raise the buttons and allow them to be used in a 24 mm hole.

Those washers are in actuality spacers.  They might work for what you are describing, but they really aren't intended for above panel placement.  They are for use with metal panels, as the nut will only go to within ~.090" of the underside of the bezel.  Anything thinner than .090" won't allow the nut to tighten down on it.  That's where the black spacers come into play.  The button goes into the panel first and then the spacer is slid onto the body of the button from the underside, hollow side first.  The two pieces are actually keyed to fit together like this.  Then, the nut is screwed on to hold everything in place.  The spacers aren't necessary for wood panel installations, as wood panels should always be thicker than the .090" gap between the nut and the bezel.

RandyT

armi0024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2023, 09:57:36 pm
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »
Without starting another lively debate, I think it is safe to say they work and are made for both purposes. 24mm holes for buttons are common in Asian (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) buttons so this allows for them to be used for both 30mm and 24mm holes. (we have many customers who have purchases these for Candy Cabinet start buttons which are typically 24mm)  As Randy has pointed out, the ridge that helps center these on larger 30mm or 1 1/8" holes is thick enough that the spacers are required below the cp in thin metal panels.

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »
Just wanted to link Blind_dado's other thread in here as well:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=113965.0
He had a great idea of using Pongo's decals in lieu of making your own inserts for these types of buttons.   As you will see in the other thread, he put the decals directly on the diffuser inside the button.   You could, of course, use decals from anywhere, not just from Pongo.  He's just the only one that I've ever tried thus far.

Anyway, just wanted to link that in this thread since it is related, and is another great alternative for inserts!

xrism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2017, 07:48:46 pm
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 06:56:51 am »
OKay.... so baiscally all you really need to know is that the ultralux buttons are probably nicer, and built to a better standard since Andy controls his own supply chain.  The other buttons that look like it are basically chinese knockoffs.  I have the paradise arcade ones.  They work fine.  I am sure Randy's work just fine.  Buttons are cheap, if you really want to know, spend 20 bucks and order a couple from each vendor and decide for yourself.  Things like inverse square laws don't mean squat to me.  All I want to know, and I am sure most people care to know, is this: I know there is a difference in price, what is the difference in quality that makes up that difference in price, and is it worth the premium for that quality?  I bought the Paradise Arcade buttons because they were the cheapest, are other buttons better?  Maybe yes, maybe no, but I am satisfied with how they look both lit and unlit, and I have gotten compliments on them.

Buttons are cheap, and there are SOOOO many different varieties, concave, convex, japanese style, leaf swith type, lit, unlit, translucent... etc.  Buttons are also fairly simple devices, its 2 or three molded pieces of plastic and a spring.  That's it, no complicated bits to it.  Also I have bought from Randy/Andy/Bryan none of what they sell is garbage, in my opinion and they are all active members on this board so they can't sell garbage or they would get flamed around here.  Figure out what type of button you want, then just try some out.  If you hate them you are out a couple of bucks, not a big deal.  Probably a better idea to find out what you like and what matters to you than to get opinions form others, especially when we are talking about 2 dollar buttons.

QFT.

If you look at the switch holder in Andy's buttons, you'll see immediately that they are not the same as the ChromaLite, or similar chrome buttons, and have more in common with the SpectraLite switch-holder design.  Knowledge of inverse square laws aren't necessary to get a button which does what you want, at the price you want to pay.  It, and similar engineering/physics principles, only help once you start picking apart the designs to figure out why things function (or don't function) as you expect them to.  For that, they are invaluable.

I have used more LED pushbuttons than their are characters in this quote. Paradise makes the best LEDs 12v out of the mainstream venders, I make my own but I used to use all of them. My customers like them best, I liked them best back then and you can't beat the price. Ultimarc is nice but the price don't live up to the flare. It's like buying an expensive microphone compaired to a less expensive mic. Just because you have a more expensive mic, it's not going to change the quality of the singers voice. Paradise is the best mainstream.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
Re: SpectraLite vs. Ultralux vs. Paradise Arcade Illuminated Buttons
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 08:14:08 am »
I'm about to get some of these, because they use the switch from the goldleafs that I like. http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/arcade-world-uk-ultimate-illuminated-button.html

As the switch is a centre push, I'm expecting poorer lighting performance but we will see.

Anyone tried them?
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

cabanaboy07

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 12:06:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: SpectraLite vs. Ultralux vs. Paradise Arcade Illuminated Buttons
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2019, 11:45:15 am »
Im looking for the best RGB LED button & microswitch/leaf/hybrid without maintenance. Below is what I have eliminated most everything down to, but if there is more out there please comment. I personally really like the bezel lit buttons with solid plungers. There isn't much comparison with the MX buttons, but they are said to be better then the Sanwa & Seimitsu buttons, but there isn't a fair comparison to the Micro-Leaf.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. The options are not ranked, just put in at random.

Option 1:
1. MX Switch - https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/electrical/components/microswitches/obs-mx/1619_obs-mx-black-switch
2. LED - https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/electrical/pcbs-lighting/led-lighting-solutions/paradise-arcade-kaimana-led-series/1720_paradise-kaimana-j2-rgb-led
3. Sanwa/Seimitsu/Paradise Housing

Option 2:
1. Spectra Eclipse (tm) Illuminated Bezel Pushbutton w/ Helio9 RGB & Micro-Leaf