Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rotating Monitor Assembly for upcoming cab, completed  (Read 22934 times)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
Rotating Monitor Assembly for upcoming cab, completed
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »
I finished up my rotating monitor setup for my upcoming cab. 
*19" viewsonic LCD
*Lazy susan Bearing with two 1 1/4" castors assisting.
*Pololu motor and controller as figured out by DNA Dan.  USB controlled with analog inputs for the limit switches right on the board. 
*Auto rotating via Mala courtesy of DaOldMan's Startcom plugin.  It triggers batch files that rotate the assembly via Pololu's command line control program.
*Can be manually rotated in windows via autohotkey scripts.
*All MDF construction, sized to fit into my cab: 24 1/8" to the inside of the side panels.
*Microswitch limit switches on adjustable mounts
*Temporary leg supports installed to allow running at about a 15 degree angle as it will in the cab.

Front

Back

Motor area - DNA Dan's screen door hinge method

Pololu motor controller and monitor signal/power cord handling

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Re: Rotating Monitor Assembly for upcoming cab, completed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:10:10 pm »
Now featured on Pololu's site. 

http://www.pololu.com/resources/communityprojects

Maybe I can get a contingency sponsorship like drag racers do. :)

alfonzotan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:10:14 pm »
VERY nice.  One of these years I may have to mod my cab with something like this... but I really ought to finish the damn thing first...

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:16:41 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud:

Video?

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:37 pm »
Very cool. Definitely bookmarking that pololu site...

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12:25 pm »
Thanks guys.  there could be a video . . . after I do some work to get my Mala layouts to the point that they're a little less embarrassing.  Now that I finally have reliable traction between the wheel and the monitor disc, I am going to play with my scripts to slow down at the end of the travel.  I.e. run at speed x for so many microseconds, then change to speed x -25% type thing. 

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:47:30 am »
Does that motor have an encoder? If so, I would use it to pick slowdown points, not time. But I like doing things the hard way I suppose.

Looks like you and DNA Dan have set a new standard for rotating LCD monitors.
Thought about rotating a CRT?

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:50:44 am »
@DaOldMan- It does have an encoder, but I would need to upgrade the controller to one that accepts feedback, the pololu JRK.  I don't think it would work well, its not absolute positioning but just counting pulses/quadrature.  My system is fairly refined at this point but there is still some slippage from time to time between the motor wheel and the monitor disk.  I'm on my 2nd type of sandpaper applied to the monitor disk (started off with some 1000 grit, I think I have 150 grit on there now.  the motor has enough power to keep turning even if the monitor disc is completely stopped.  One time it rubbed the tire right off the wheel.  With the 1000 grit, even the weight of the monitor cables hanging off could cause it to slip.  With the 150 grit traction was vastly improved but I still routed out channels in the monitor disk to have the cables exit through the center of rotation. 

Bottom line, that encoder is better for measuring actual speed than actual position.  I'm going to experiment with speed commands because, worst case, it hits at full speed, not a big deal, or if it slips and times out to the lower speed, it will just rotate slower until it hits the stops.  Right now I'm just running at 50%, letting it hit, doesn't seem to be a big jarring of the monitor, and the braking holds it acceptably tight to the stops (100% braking set right now, it can be set from there to 100% coast).

Looks like you and DNA Dan have set a new standard for rotating LCD monitors.
Thought about rotating a CRT?
This is all DNA Dan's research and testing, I'm a follower on this one.

I guess I'm a post CRT guy, and by no means an arcade purist, so probably no arcade monitors for me.  It is a more challenging engineering problem.  I would look at the drum/roller/axle hardware from a junkyard clothes dryer if I had to do it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 12:08:53 pm »
This is awesome.  I really like how you turned the pieces into something cool to look at.  What is the purpose of the hinge?  Is this so you can fine tune the amount of contact that the wheel has with the panel?  Does it then get locked into place?  I'd love some more pics and more details!

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:28 pm »
Javeryh:
The various builders have figured out that in a friction system, you have to have some spring pressure to keep the drive wheel on the monitor wheel.  If you hard mount it then the wood could expand/contract and change your bearing pressure.  The hinge is a spring hinge sold to make your wood screen door self closing.

The routing was done for lightening and ventilation, you won't see this mechanism in the completed cab.   :cheers:

Rando

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2016, 07:49:31 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »
Wow.  :o

Beyond my comprehension.  :applaud:
Rando - My build thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107741.msg1142843#msg1142843 (work slowed but still progressing!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »
Javeryh:
The various builders have figured out that in a friction system, you have to have some spring pressure to keep the drive wheel on the monitor wheel.  If you hard mount it then the wood could expand/contract and change your bearing pressure.  The hinge is a spring hinge sold to make your wood screen door self closing.

The routing was done for lightening and ventilation, you won't see this mechanism in the completed cab.   :cheers:

Excellent.  Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.  Any chance you could type up a list of all the supplies/parts you used and links for where to buy them?  I saw DNA Dan's thread but I wasn't 100% sure on everything that is needed.  This seems like a very elegant solution.

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »
Jimmy, How did you route the monitor cable and power connector through the lazy susan? On the damn LP2065 I have the mount completely covers the center. I am thinking I will need to drill a hole. Also I don't know if I mentioned this but I beveled the inside edge of the wood on the screen door hinge pieces so there was more negative camber if need be. I've been bogged down with family visiting and it's killing me to watch my cab sit there almost finished.  :badmood:

Jimmy I like the open design of your mount. Slick idea!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:35:02 pm by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:33:13 pm »
Excellent.  Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.  Any chance you could type up a list of all the supplies/parts you used and links for where to buy them?  I saw DNA Dan's thread but I wasn't 100% sure on everything that is needed.  This seems like a very elegant solution.

This is the parts I used for this. It's about $100 for the whole setup, although I did not add it up.

You need one of each from all these links:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1372

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1084

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1107

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1083

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1435

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bearings&Product_Code=Kit8881&Category_Code=LazySusan

(You can also find the lazy susan bearing at most hardware stores. This is the style you want, not the style with the bearings on a track.EDIT: IF YOU PLAN ON ROUTING THE DVI AND POWER CABLES THROUGH THE BEARING, BUY A 6" OR LARGER SIZE SO THE CONNECTOR FITS THROUGH THE HOLE!.)

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/DOOR+HINGES/Screen+Door+Hinges+-+Screen+Door+Locks/Screen+Door+Spring+Hinges+Full+Surface+Non-Adjustable

(You can find these cheap spring loaded hinges locally where the screen door stuff is.)

You'll also need 2 caster wheels mounted sideways in the lower half of your disk to support the weight. There are other ways of doing this as well. Unfortunately most of the pololu items are sold in pairs, so you will have extra. There might be some screws in there you will have to purchase to mount some things. The hardest part is getting the monitor mount drilled and centered on the lazy susan holes as a template. Be sure the weight is balanced on the monitor. Some older monitors do not have the mount located in the center of gravity. Check this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:01:00 pm by DNA Dan »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 09:09:16 pm »
Awesome - thanks!!

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »
How did you route the monitor cable and power connector through the lazy susan? On the damn LP2065 I have the mount completely covers the center. I am thinking I will need to drill a hole.

I have the same design, the back of the monitor is tight to the monitor disc.  I routed channels in the monitor disk going from behind the monitor where the cables plug in, radially to the center.  then I drilled a hole through the center in both the monitor disk and the back support.  they pass through the ring of the lazy susan bearing.  The weight of the cables out at the outer radius of the monitor disc was slowing the travel as the cables were pulled higher while rotating to the vertical orientation.  Where the cables exit in the center I sanded little flares in the channels to avoid chafing the cables.  I also relieved the edges on the center holes in case they contact the mdf there. 

for the router impaired (not you, obviously) they could use four 1/4" standoffs on the vesa mount screws to make cable space between the lcd and the monitor disc. 

Unfortunately most of the pololu items are sold in pairs, so you will have extra.

Yes, before anyone orders this system from Pololu check with me.  I have an extra wheel, tire, hub, hub set screws, motor mount, motor to mount screws, etc. that I will give you a great deal on, like just pay for shipping. 

I may also give the JRK motor controller that accepts feedback a try. If I do, I will probably sell my simple motor controller board cheap or donate it to DaOldMan in the name of rotation research if he has any interest.  So Post or PM if you're interested in a SMC board.

inkslinger81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2013, 02:02:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 12:39:00 am »
do you have a schematic on how you wired all the switches and boards?

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 04:38:07 pm »
no but it's very easy.  look at the documentation for the pololu simple motor controller - everything's covered.  The controller board sits in the middle -connected to the PC by usb.  connected to the limit switches by two wires each.  incoming power from the pc power supply on 2 wires.  power to the motor goes out on two wires.    Post up if you have another question. 

inkslinger81

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 07:30:07 pm »
Ok cool thanks for responding, I haven't ordered my parts yet I wanted to make sure that I had a way of getting help if needed. Ill have them in a couple weeks I'm working on the cabinet now but I will let you know how it turns out thanks!

inkslinger81

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 07:21:00 am »
do you believe that motor has enough power to rotate a 32" tv? thats what im working with and i remember reading that you had slippage problems

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 09:15:04 am »
For a 32" lcd, you're probably still ok although I would go away from cheap lazy susan bearings and do an axle/pillow block setup.

For a 32" CRT, you need something like a car windshield wiper motor and a metal gear or chain geartrain.  Which is beyond my expertise.  Even if you set up bearings that were very smooth and balanced it perfectly, it's still quite a bit of rotating mass to start and stop. 

Start a thread about your proposed design and you'll get some good input.  There are people here that have rotated larger displays. 

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 09:21:49 am »
For a 32" lcd, you're probably still ok although I would go away from cheap lazy susan bearings and do an axle/pillow block setup.

For a 32" CRT, you need something like a car windshield wiper motor and a metal gear or chain geartrain.  Which is beyond my expertise.  Even if you set up bearings that were very smooth and balanced it perfectly, it's still quite a bit of rotating mass to start and stop. 

Start a thread about your proposed design and you'll get some good input.  There are people here that have rotated larger displays.

Pretty much this.  For my Showtime cab I'm rotating a 42" LED TV and I had to get CNC motors to move it.  Axel/pillow block is the way to go for sure!

inkslinger81

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
Kahlid74 do you have pics of yours? I'm wondering just how to build the cabinet as well so it doesn't look too bulky. You have a link to where you got the motor your using?

Millie5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2014, 01:38:44 am
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:22 am »
I like this work.. But  I don't agree with color.. The wood color should be soft and light. Then it would be look great to eyes and impressive.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 09:04:15 am »
Kahlid74 do you have pics of yours? I'm wondering just how to build the cabinet as well so it doesn't look too bulky. You have a link to where you got the motor your using?

Afraid not yet.  I'm currently finishing my Battletech POD.  Once that's complete I'll start a project thread for this sucker.  As an aside, my design would be the standard pedestal leading to the back part but then a real slim back with the Marquee at the top and from it the keyed steel rod to a wooden box that is formed around the TV to hide the bezel.  So basically I wouldn't build the entire back end to enclose the TV but instead make the TV look to stand out on it's own.  It's a concept and not even mocked up yet, but a concept none the less for making it look less bulky.

FlatEarth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2021, 05:58:04 pm
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 11:36:17 am »
Jimmy, what did you use as a power supply to the motor?

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:24 pm »
+12V from an ATX pc power supply.  The computer's power supply was a dinky small form factor one, so I got a separate $15 power supply to run the rotation motor, marquee lights and cabinet fan.  It turns on via the smart strip. 

bandit721

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2018, 11:53:15 am
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:23 am »
Jimmy, looks great man!  As DaOldMan said, you and DNA Dan have really set the new standard for friction-type mechs...both projects have great pics/details.

I'm about to start my project based on your design and has a quick question - DNA Dan used wheels on the lower half to better support the weight of the monitor but looking at your pics I don't see any on your project.  Did you use them and I just missed them or are you using something else to support the weight?  I noticed you used a larger lazy-susan bearing than Dan, did you find that the wheels weren't necessary with the larger bearing?

Thanks in advance!

epetti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2023, 10:15:20 pm
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:05 am »

I'm about to start my project based on your design and has a quick question - DNA Dan used wheels on the lower half to better support the weight of the monitor but looking at your pics I don't see any on your project.  Did you use them and I just missed them or are you using something else to support the weight?  I noticed you used a larger lazy-susan bearing than Dan, did you find that the wheels weren't necessary with the larger bearing?

My project using this approach I put two wheels at the bottom in case it bowed too much. In practical use so far they haven't touched.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 02:37:26 pm »
it's hard to see but there are two small fixed castors on either side of the drive wheel.  you can just barely see the brass edge of one on the third pic in the OP.  you can see the two bolts through the 2x2's holding them on.  They are in contact with the monitor wheel all the time. 

bandit721

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2018, 11:53:15 am
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 09:44:31 am »
Jimmy: Thanks for the reply!  Ah, now i see it...Thought that maybe the 2x4s were there for more than just stiffening of that area of the base panel just missed it in the pic...diving in this weekend  ;D

epetti: Thanks for the reply.  So in your setup you're not running into problems with friction on the lazy susan?  That's interesting.  Think I'll use them with constant contact to the disk as Jimmy and Dan did just in case...

epetti

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
I also put two on top because I found that when I setup the spring door hinge to apply enough pressure it was pushing the turntable in the opposite direction, but when those were there, maybe the casters just weren't loose enough, but they caused more problems then they helped with.  I'd say make the holes and add them, and if they don't seem to be working for you they can always be taken back out.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
epetti- post some pics of your rig- interested to see.

epetti

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 01:39:55 am »

epetti- post some pics of your rig- interested to see.

Pictures are on my Project Announcements post near the bottom:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=131671

Pretty much followed you and DNA Dan to the letter except for using a combination of an L-bracket and levered micro switches for the limits, which were a little easier to adjust as needed.

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »
Hey Guys
I got most of the parts today! However I am a little confused.  These castors you guys talk of, can someone show me a picture of them not he wheel and how they connect?

Also when looking at the front, there is two black switch buttons, what do they do?  Can you provide some more photos? (I am a visual learner) I would appreciate it.

THanks
Jim
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:51 pm »
Hey
I think I get the castor thing, or I may be wrong. The casters would be facing the top wood that turns? to help spin the screen..same way as the motor spindle?

Jim
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 12:55:31 pm »
yes, they keep the monitor disc coplanar with the support behind it.  This is necessary because lazy susan turntable bearings are designed to work with the weight bearing straight down.  due to the angle of the monitor/monitor disc, the two plates of the bearing are squeezed together on the bottom and pulled apart on the top, leading to binding.  the castors keep the two plates of the bearing parallel so no binding occurs.  the castors need to be at the bottom of the monitor disc and they need to be spaced to keep the monitor disc coplanar with the backing support. 

Meridian99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2014, 11:42:17 pm
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »
That is sweet! Nice job

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 12:41:23 am »
Another option is using a different lazy susan bearing like this one:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/LazySusan/Kit11282

I started a bartop build going this route but the monitor I wanted to use died on me so I shelved the idea for now. I think if you used this bearing you don't need anything to take the deflection. that is assuming you are using a 20" or smaller computer monitor. For those of you using TVs, you're on your own.

bestactor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2013, 05:02:16 am
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 05:02:37 am »
You have done a nice job and I really appreciate your efforts in building a rotating monitor. The pictures you have shred tells how much hard work you have done to complete this, and I hope you will keep sharing such inspiring creations here again.

Thanks
Ellery Misc shop
pottery supplies