Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Philco 38-116 Conversion to Jukebox  (Read 26156 times)

Meph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 05:40:34 pm
Philco 38-116 Conversion to Jukebox
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:44:10 pm »
Well its time for build #2 and this time im going with a vintage radio cabinet.  My wife absolutely hates my first Jukebox which was a late 80s Rowe Juke.  Its huge, its black and silver, it screams game room.  I love it but its not something most people are going to display in their living room.  When I began this process I showed my wife the ideas I had with converting jukes, vintage radios, and custom builds.  She loves the look of vintage radios and asked me to do one of them this time around.  I had started talking with a guy who did restorations and had 100s of old cabinets in various states of disrepair.  I gave him an idea of the type of cabinet I wanted and 10 minutes later he had pulled this Philco 38-116 out and told me I could have it!  So here it begins.

I began taking the cabinet apart today and cleaning it.  This thing is FILTHY.  Once I get the cabinet all cleaned up i'm going to try oiling it up and seeing how it looks.  Some parts of this cabinet definitely show a lot of wear but I really wont know until I get it cleaned up.  If it looks decent oiled up then I will probably go with the weathered look, if not then I will start stripping it and go with a full blown wood restoration.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:46:53 pm by Meph »

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
Re: Philco 38-116 Conversion to Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »
Awesome.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »
I wish I knew your restorations guy!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »
...watching...

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:34:55 pm »
Awesome! I keep an eye out for old Philcos or Crosleys too. Although another juke is not in my immediate future I love doing the conversions.

I really need to put those last fender spears on my Rat Rod now...
In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:53 pm »
Fantastic!

I've been looking for a radio similar to that for a while too (for a juke conversion).

Found a 1928 Zenith, but they wanted too much.

I'm looking for something before the "art deco" phase, so it'd be a little more victorian.

But that looks like it could be a great build!

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
This morning I busted out the oil soap and spent a good couple hours cleaning this thing up.  I also cleaned the inside of it but I forgot to take any pics of that.  Not much to see there anyways.  These pics were taken right after the last wash.  Its looking a lot better than it was but I still don't know what I want to do with it.  What type of oil/polish should I be looking for to really bring out the rich reds of that wood instead of drying out and getting a hazy look to it?

As you can see there is still a good deal of wear on the bottom and some on the top.  That's the only thing that has me hesitant about just polishing it up and calling it a day.  What do you guys think?

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 06:44:56 pm »
Is the top obviously veneer (looking from the back, you could probably tell).

If it's veneer, you have to be very careful about sanding.

Still, the those scratches on the top, I'd seriously think about taking some 300 grit, or maybe 600 grit to it to at least get the scratches out. If you go back with the same reddish stain, you shouldn't have to sand down enough to completely take the stain out, just enough to even things up.

Just be careful sanding veneer. I know, I sanded right through the veneer I'd put on the front of my buffet project. But, I little clever staining, and I was able to hide the screw up well enough....  :-[

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:59 pm »
Yes it is veneer, all those vintage radio cabinets are covered with veneer.  They don't stain it either, they use a toning lacquer instead.  Mohawk makes a line of toning lacquer that i'm going to use.  I picked up some lacquer stripper tonight and i'm going to begin stripping the cabinet.  Once its stripped it will get a very light sand to remove anything the stripper didn't and give it a uniform finish.  Wish me luck.  I don't really know what i'm doing but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night =)

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:11:51 pm »
Give Howards restore a finish a try. It can't work miracles, but it can do a damn good job. Check out my build thread for my experiences with it.

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:33 pm »
I actually spent a lot of time today reading about different techniques people use to restore these cabinets and a lot about Howards.  If you look at my last batch of pics you can see that on the top, the left side, and the bottom there are parts where the lacquer is completely gone and its bare wood.  Howards is great for hiding minor blemishes and scratches but it can't change the fact that the finish is worn off in multiple places.  I got this cabinet for free and i'm going to use it as my learning experience.  I'm actually looking forward to this.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:20:18 pm »
Did not know that about the toning lacquer. Stripping that, then a light sand, a little steel wool, vacuuming everywhere and then a good tack cloth should clean that up very nicely. Just a little messy is all.  :)

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:35:51 pm »
I'm really liking these classic radio, jukebox conversions I'm seeing around here.
man my wife is gonna be mad at you all when I finally give in and try one.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
Good luck

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:07 am »
So process has been a little slow while I tried out different stripping methods.  Reading some of the Antique radio forums a lot of people consider Citri-strip as garbage and claim it doesn't work on lacquer very well.  I bought a can of lacquer thinner and decided I would use that so it would be a nice quick stripping job.  Yeah right.  Even using it out in my driveway for lots of ventilation I was still ready to knock myself out after about 10 minutes of it.  The next problem was at 85 degrees out, lacquer thinner evaporates REALLY fast.  It was so slow stripping that I was getting a bit disheartened.

Well to make a long story short I had a bottle of Citri-strip in my garage so I decided to give it a try.  It working amazing and this is coming out better than I had imagined.

Stripping the right side:

Stripping the front:

Once I have finished the bulk of the stripping I will go back over it and hit the spots that still need it.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:50 am »
Odd, I've used CitriStrip too and found that it worked pretty good.

Glad to see it's coming along.

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 04:32:10 pm »
Finished the bulk of the stripping this afternoon.  Next I need to wipe down the whole thing with lacquer thinner to remove any last bits still remaining.  I have a few more pieces that need to be glued and clamped but its pretty solid now.  I'm completely amazed at how good this thing looks now that the old lacquer is gone.  I don't know if I need to use a toning lacquer on it now or just clear lacquer.  Will have to read some more on the Antique radio forums and see what they normally do.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 07:13:01 pm »
Nicely done.

If you could put together a brass frame for that opening, mount a touchscreen behind it and keep the dials in place, then just hook them up to, say a mouse hack or something, wow. Looking forward to seeing where you take it...

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 07:22:58 pm »
When I got the cabinet the dials were missing to start with.  I have a 15" ELO that is going in there.  It will fit nicely on the front but it will cover where the dials were.  The only thing stopping me from going forward is i'm having some issues with the touchscreen being flaky right now.  Most of the time the PC boots up and its works fine.  Other times it doesn't find the touchscreen or it just stops working after hours.  Its one of the $90 ebay variety and I think its just flaking out.  I'm not cutting any holes in the cabinet until I know exactly what is going in it first.  I still have time since I need to order my Mohawk toners and finish the cabinet restoration.  I also want to put a base in the bottom of the cabinet and some wheels.  I'm just taking my time with it but i'm really enjoying it.

mightytim99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2011, 06:27:17 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »
Niiiiiice!!! Will be watching to see how this goes!

roypattonphoto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2011, 06:21:45 pm
  • Hurry Give Me A Quarter!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:36 am »
any update, ive been keeping eyes on this, and liking the direction, ive also been keeping an Eye out myself for a cheapo old dead radio cab such as this...

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 06:43:49 am »
No update so far.  I still haven't ordered my toning lacquers.  I will hopefully do that this weekend.  The biggest reason for my slowdown is that i'm having problem with my Elo 15" Touchscreen.  For some reason half the time I boot the pc it doesn't recognize the touch.  Other times the touch will stop working after 10 minutes or 1 hour.  Sometimes it works all day.  I have tried it on 3 different PCs with different drivers and all gave the same results.  I don't want to cut a hole in the cabinet for that monitor only to have to replace the monitor so i'm waiting until I nab another monitor. 

My second problem was my other juke.  I put it up for sale yesterday but when I went to take pics of it the other day, the PC wouldn't boot up.  The machine was a freebie my wife brought home from work.  Its an old Dell P4 and now its overheating badly so I ended up stealing the PC from this project to replace the other so I can sell it.  So once that one is sold I can buy a new PC and monitor for this one and finish it up.  Keep watching, I will get some cabinet updates next week I hope if I get the lacquers.  I'm anxious to finish this one up because next up is a PinMame cab =)

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 05:33:16 pm »
Well I finally got around to doing a little work on this cabinet this week.  I cut the hole for the 15" monitor and put 4 coats of lacquer on the cabinet.  I haven't decided if I am going to do a couple more coats or if I am just going to move to the wet sand/polish stage.  I think the lacquer came out quite well.  I didn't take any pics with the monitor in place but cutting the hole for it came out much better than I had expected.  I have the computer for it, I just need to set that up and install everything.  The only pieces I don't have for it right now is the speakers and the Philco "V" pattern speaker cloth.  I sold my other Juke and have people asking for some custom built ones so it has kinda lit a fire to get this one finished.

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 07:28:48 am »
Beautiful! That wood has cleaned up very nice.

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 09:00:08 am »
Very nice! I have been wanting to do this for a while now, just can't seam to find a donor cabinet.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2024, 07:33:43 am
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 09:36:13 am »
Hey,

Looks great so far.  Just curious, how did you cut the square in the face so perfectly and what tool -jigsaw?  I have 2 15" elo's one that is broken so i took the faceplate off so i can use as a template to cut.  Are you planning to mount the monitor inside or outside of the hole?  The faceplate on these monitors are a bit weird...they have holes but if you mount from the outside you have all of the frame exposed with it?  Let me know how you plan to mount, very curious.

One last thing, i'm picking up a cabinet that is actually already in pretty good condition.  I don't have the luxury of a garage as i'm living in the city..so I don't really have the space to start stripping the exterior etc. I'm thinking about just cleaning it up like you did and using some type of oil soap or polish or whatever you were going to use after you cleaned it up.  Can you recommend some cleaning products to clean it up, and then some polish for afterwards?  I dont think I want to strip it all and start over, so something that will clean it up a bit.

thanks!
Jason
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:40:32 am by JRoz »

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 11:23:35 am »
Hey,

Looks great so far.  Just curious, how did you cut the square in the face so perfectly and what tool -jigsaw?  I have 2 15" elo's one that is broken so i took the faceplate off so i can use as a template to cut.  Are you planning to mount the monitor inside or outside of the hole?  The faceplate on these monitors are a bit weird...they have holes but if you mount from the outside you have all of the frame exposed with it?  Let me know how you plan to mount, very curious.

Here's how I did mine. Continues on Page 2 as well.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=104021.msg1101248#msg1101248

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 11:32:52 am »
thanks for the post, I'm more curious on how Meph did his as I have the exact cabinet and monitor.  I plan to cut a hole like his and screw the black bezel into the face from behind.  So just cut a hole big enough for the screen to show and just screw in the 8 screws into the wood.  Only issue is i'm horrible at cutting holes with a jigsaw.  I'm curious the technique or tips to cut an even nice square.  I have my black face plate off so I can trace it right onto the wood but the cutting part is what scares me!  Worst case I guess I can use some picture frame to make a fake bezel around the square I cut in case I mess up? 

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 03:04:35 pm »
I cut the hole using a jigsaw.  I actually measured the center of the cabinet and then flipped the monitor upside down and traced the frame.  I cut it so the whole frame fits in it snugly.  To secure it I am going to do like I did with my last juke.  Build a mounting bracket like Gryhnd did but since there isn't a whole lot to bite into for mounting to the cabinet, i'm going to glue two blocks on the inside that I can screw into.  I originally wanted to mount it the way your hoping to but with the holes from the dials you would have some gaps in the front if you only cut out the inner part of the monitor.

I bought some 3/16" thick oak pieces that are 2" wide and i'm making a frame to go around it.  I plan to find a stain that matches the lacquer on the cabinet closely and then will clear lacquer over it.  Should be a pretty close match.  I will try and get some pics up tonight of where i'm at and show you how the monitor fits in.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 03:21:10 pm »
interesting, i'm thinking of just cutting a hole big enough for the glass and then if the dials are still in good condition, using those with the touchscreen.  One to turn on and off (rerun my desktop power switch), maybe another to adjust volume (basically hack up a Griffin PowerMate).  How thick is the wood for the face itself?  One last thing, any recommendation on oil soap and maybe a good polisher after I clean it up?  Something like Murphy's Oil soap good to clean with? http://www.amazon.com/Murphys-Oil-Soap-Original-Formula/dp/B00005UVD7   

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 03:30:14 pm »
I actually used Murphy's oil soap initially to clean it up.  Mine was really filthy when I got it.  I'm looking now to see what kind of furniture polish/wax I am going to finish it with.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:25 pm »
oh ok cool, since i'm not going to strip the finish, could I apply this type of polish/wax once I clean it up and let it dry?  Or do I need to put down some type of new coat?

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 04:32:49 pm »
Nice Job!

I picked up an old radio cab off CL just a few weeks ago. Looking forward to my own project like this one.

That wood did really clean up well.

Turvey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:50:15 am
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 05:20:25 pm »
One last thing, any recommendation on oil soap and maybe a good polisher after I clean it up?  Something like Murphy's Oil soap good to clean with? http://www.amazon.com/Murphys-Oil-Soap-Original-Formula/dp/B00005UVD7   

Have you read the one and only review of this product on Amazon?

Had a wooden kitchen cabinet that had a bit of grime on it and mixed according to the directions with 1/4 cup per gallon of water. Used an ordinary sponge but instead of removing the dirt it took off the clear coat/polyurethane instead. Now I'm left with a ruined door that has to be sanded and refinished.

Just in case it takes of more than what you want  ;)

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »
yikes dont want that to happen!..hmmm.  I guess it worked for Meph since he eventually wanted to strip the whole thing

edit: yet this has great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZHCK0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003LWVB2U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BHQX5NYXH1NKETKVKDP

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 05:33:44 pm »
I've used murphys on finished wood and had great results.

I'm guessing it has to do with what kind of finish is on the wood. Definitely best to test in an inconspicuous area.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »
don't mean to hijack this thread but here is my cabinet.  The bottom as you can see looks like its pretty warn.  I don't to do a strip or anything so trying to see if I can touch it up a little..not too worry about the scratches.  you think a cleaner can do the trick?  

just really concerned with the bottom part.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:39:09 pm by JRoz »

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 05:37:15 pm »
I have used Murphy's Oil soap for 30 years to wash hardwood floors and never taken any finish off.  Its an oil soap.  Its meant to clean and protect wood.  You really need to take those types of product reviews with a grain of salt.  There is no IQ test for buying products.   ;D

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 05:38:12 pm »
That link isn't working.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 05:39:48 pm »
just re-attached

Meph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 05:43:21 pm »
If you really don't want to strip it then I personally would go with Howard's Restore-A-Finish.

http://www.howardproducts.com/restora.htm

A lot of people use them on radio cabinets with amazing results.  Since its not a full restore its something that will have to be done periodically though.  You might have to use it a couple times a year to keep the shine up.