Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: custom controller question  (Read 4061 times)

wasted_druid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2003, 05:47:58 pm
  • I'm a llama!
custom controller question
« on: August 31, 2003, 05:51:27 pm »
I have a friend who has muscular distrophy, and about all he can do all day long is play video games.  My friends and I go to his house to play with him, and we're all really big on HALO right now.  Here's where the custom controller question comes in... my friend doesn't have enough strength to press in the joystick to zoom in with the guns...  Is there any way I can modify one of the controllers to make it easier to press in?  This is probably a pleasantly annoying question.  Some newbie asking dumb questions.  But any help with this project would be greatly appreciated.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:custom controller question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 07:18:35 pm »
My quess would be modifying it would be difficult. The switch is quite small. It should be possible though to hack another button into the controller and tap it into that button. Then just strategically place that button.  I've thought more than once that I'd like to modify those buttons because it just doesn't feel natural to me. Different brand controllers have differing amounts of resistance on that button also. My logitech wireless controllers are stiffer than the MS ones and my madkats controller is looser.

Another option may be to find if someone can hack Halo for you to change what the buttons do. Maybe make the flashlight button the zoom. Nobody uses the flashlight anyway. I've just recently started playing with Halo map editors and can change many of the unconfigurable options in the game. I can make one weapon shoot the ammo of another weapon. Like making the sniper rifle shoot rocket rounds. Its kind of fun to play around with, but I can only edit maps. I haven't seen any thing on editing the controls but I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I do.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 02:13:03 am »
Before you try to go through the trouble of hacking the XBox controller why dont you have him change his controller settings in the game so that Zoom is a different button. There might be something more comfortable for him. I think hacking the controller would be difficult. I dont know how you would take a button and make it easier to push, considering that it most likely doesn't have any sort of spring. If it had a spring that would be a different story... You could just trim some of the spring off to make it a weaker spring that required less resistance.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 09:34:15 am »
I clicked on the consoles link to the left, and apparently Dave_K (I'm assuming since he's the author) has successfully hacked a madcatz pad.  You could try Personal Messaging him.  I'd guess the 'springs' are actually those little rubber pads that are just squishy, like a dreamcast controller.  Maybe you could lose or trim the one under the right analog stick (if there is one)?

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 08:15:14 pm »
You know, why dont you just try a different control pad altogether?  Try different brands and different types.  They aren't going to all feel the same.  Other 3rd party controllers will have different pressure requirements for the same buttons.