Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U360 shafts with metal CP (?)  (Read 1727 times)

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
U360 shafts with metal CP (?)
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:30:02 am »
I have a machine with a metal control panel. The original Seimitsu's were the perfect height: as your hand cupped around the ball top, the outside of your palm rested right on the panel.

I was under the impression the stock U360 shafts were to match up similarly, but they are a good centimeter taller. Same, whether ball or tab top. Not bad, but not that 'oooooooo'. I'm thinking of modding the shaft a little shorter. Has anyone had a similar experience?...done what I'm thinking of doing?
-Banned-

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Re: U360 shafts with metal CP (?)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:07:46 am »
If you disassemble the sticks and take the shaft to a machine shop, they can cut, turn them down and rethread, since you're taking off a whole centimeter that will give them fresh, full diameter steel to work with. You'll lose the chrome, shouldn't be a big deal. 

If you find a cool old cooter machinist it would probably be $50.  If its a new professional shop they won't want to talk to you. 

If you are OK with the throw, you might consider spacing the joystick body down 1 cm from the underside of the panel to get your height without reducing throw. 

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:23:18 pm »
If you disassemble the sticks and take the shaft to a machine shop, they can cut, turn them down and rethread... 

Why would they need to be 'turned down'?
-Banned-

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:23:45 am »
IIRc the threaded portion is smaller diameter than the shaft.  They will need to put it in a lathe and remove metal down to the diameter the threading die requires. 

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:02:20 am »
Oh. I thought you meant turn down the whole shaft. Anyways, it would be cheaper to have Franco B make them from scratch...although I could probably swing some kind of connection locally. I just haven't bothered yet.
-Banned-