Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Blowing fuses - replace or repair?  (Read 21107 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Blowing fuses - replace or repair?
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
Awesome... Now you just have to arrange a get together to show off!!!!!! :D :cheers

boardjunkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 11:42:05 am »
Attempting to run a hot chassis monitor without an iso xfmr will damage the diodes in the B+ section. The wavy pix indicates either a leaky or shorted diode causing way too much ripple that the reg can't deal with. Don't do this kids....

And...its not a good idea to just blindly play with the B+ adjust. You get it too high and it'll go into HV protect. *CHECK* the B+ voltage, and make sure its set to where it is s'posed to be according to the service info in the manual.

B+ voltage has nothing to do with a wavy pix. It will cause a small pix when set too low, and monitor shutdown when set too high.

windmill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2011, 05:55:44 pm
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 08:46:50 pm »
I backed off the B+ a little and that shrunk the picture enough to the point where the games are playable.  :woot There is still a bit of a pincushion effect, and on the top right the picture appears to "drop off" a little. When I look at the test pattern, the squares on the right hand side are thinner than on the left, but it's pretty minor. I'll have to fiddle with the different controls and see if I can find an optimum mix. The drop off becomes less when I increase B+ back to its original setting, but then the picture is too large again.

I haven't gotten around to measuring the actual B+ voltage, but I figured reducing it was a fairly safe thing to do, and it would let me know right away whether it helped - which it did! I'm contemplating adding an external volume control, so the next time I take everything apart (again...), I'll do some measuring.