Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: possible joy replacement for console emus?  (Read 4586 times)

jakejake28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
possible joy replacement for console emus?
« on: August 30, 2003, 04:30:11 pm »
hey, just browsing Industrias Lorenzos site again, saw this little "joystick".it looks like an 8 or 4 way d-pad similiar to the ole genesis and snes pads had. i have read previously that quite a few people did not like using joysticks with most console game (Howard, i specifically remember, among others). would mounting one of these next to a joystick solve those problems? if i could figure out how much they costed, i might just buy a few.

http://www.industrias-lorenzo.com/cgi-bin/miva?~lorenzo/ficha.mv
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 04:30:55 pm by jakejake28 »
It's all about the Pentiums

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
Re:possible joy replacement for console emus?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2003, 05:23:40 pm »
Unfortunately you can't deep link to IL's website. However I'm guessing you're talking about their Multidirectional joystick.

I'm sure it's well made (looks similar in design to their universal joystick) and someone here could probably find a use for it. However personally I prefer proper joysticks to gamepads even for console games.

Next time I buy some IL stuff I might add one to my order just for curiousity's sake.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 05:26:22 pm by Grasshopper »
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 05:28:34 pm »
I don't mind playing older console games, (NES, SNES, Genesis ect..) with arcade joysticks at all.  It is just like normal arcade games, some games are better on a 4-way joystick than an 8-way joystick.  For example, Super Bomber plays better on a 4-way, but Super Mario plays better on an 8-way.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 05:38:16 pm »
I think that multidirectional joystick would be ackward in a CP. Do you mount it so that the 4 way d-pad is flush with the surface of the CP?  That would be difficult to play with IMO.  The nice thing about using your thumbs on a 4 way d-pad on a conventional console controller is that the rest of your hand is wrapped around the bottom of the controller. It's very comfortable.  With this multidirectional joystick, the rest of your hand has no where to go but to be flat up against the CP while your thumb manuevers the d-pad.  That would be ackward for me.  I dont think it's hard to play console games with arcade controls in my cabinet.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 12:48:39 am »
it looks pretty cool, but I don't think it would be very useful for an arcade CP.  Like Jakobud said, I think it would be very awkward. You'd have to mount it at the very edge of your CP so that you could retain some comfort. Either that, or you could build some kind of break out box into your CP that could be removed and used as a handheld controller for console emus. But frankly, if you go through all that trouble, just go buy a USB gamepad for 10 bux.

I'd be interested in playing around with one too, but I don't think they'd be much use to most of the CPs you see on MAME cabs around here.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Malachai

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2014, 11:07:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 01:13:20 pm »
It kinda reminds me of the SNES arcade games.  The controls looked like to big SNES pads.  That might be usefull for menu navigation or something.  It would be a lot nicer that having 10 billion admin buttons! :)

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 01:37:06 pm »
OMG!!!
Make it stop!!!
Has anyone submitted this site to "Webpages That Suck"?
I mean I can figure it out, but I feel sorry for people who aren't very web savvy... They'd never find anything there.

Back to the topic...
That would be a great Navigational stick for those with swappable panels... Put that, a quit button & P1, P2 buttons on a small permanent panel & you've got easy menu navigation regardless of the current panel.  I might even look into doing that...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 01:38:52 pm by tmasman »
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...