Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovy Arcade Linux no sound  (Read 5540 times)

aust_txv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2011, 02:55:31 pm
  • Yes Dear, one more game of Mr. Do ...
Groovy Arcade Linux no sound
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »
First - Groovy is really cool. Makes me excited about this hobby again. Thank you.

Nutshell - LiveCD alsa works. Install to harddrive no alsa. No sound modules in the kernel ie lsmod | grep snd shows nothing.
No snd modules are loaded in the kernel as far as I can tell. lspci shows my sb live.

Any ideas ?

And if I recompile won't I need diff's and the source ?

Thank you for your time,

Tom
Personal Log Day 342 ... Still testing my cab. Mr.Do continues to plague me, but the "Pheonix Smash" is automatic. I hear voices "Add a spinner and four-way and your journey will be

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
Re: Groovy Arcade Linux no sound
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:09:26 am »
First - Groovy is really cool. Makes me excited about this hobby again. Thank you.

Nutshell - LiveCD alsa works. Install to harddrive no alsa. No sound modules in the kernel ie lsmod | grep snd shows nothing.
No snd modules are loaded in the kernel as far as I can tell. lspci shows my sb live.

Any ideas ?

And if I recompile won't I need diff's and the source ?

Thank you for your time,

Tom
Can you after the install re-run gasetup as root (sudo gasetup) and switch to alsa again and get it to work?  It probably installs and fails to get alsa setup to run afterwards.  There's also a /etc/modprobe.d/ file called blacklist_ga.conf or something like that with ga in it.  That is used to blacklist all the sound modules for alsa, it might still be there and needs to be removed possibly for it to work.  Let me know how that goes, switching back and forth between the two is tricky and also oddly some systems like alsa and some OSS, so quite a pain unfortunately.
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

aust_txv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:07:20 pm »
Hi,
I am downloading another ISO of Groovy Arcade Linux. The ISO I was using was 1.50 not 1.563 as of 7/27.  I am going to install again with the latest version and go from there. Stay tuned and thank you.
Tom
Personal Log Day 342 ... Still testing my cab. Mr.Do continues to plague me, but the "Pheonix Smash" is automatic. I hear voices "Add a spinner and four-way and your journey will be

aust_txv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:49:07 pm »
Update - original problem alsa sound on LiveCD and no alsa sound after a hard drive install.

Using the 1.563 ISO I have alsa sound using the liveCD. In gasetup I used the audio setup option and switched to ALSA from OSS. Boom all the drivers load. An lsmod | grep snd shows many snd drivers, I can use the alsamixer, and games have sound.

As suggested I checked the contents of the files in /etc/modprobe.d  liveCD versus hard drive install. I think they are the same.

Hard drive install...
No go. If I use gasetup as root to set the sound system to alsa, nothing happens, lsmod
grep snd does not show a single file, and alsamixer seems absent. I am going to go through dmesg and messages again. I must have missed something. Strange thing is lspci on both systems (live and hard drive) show the sb live and the sb live game port.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:25:57 am »
Update - original problem alsa sound on LiveCD and no alsa sound after a hard drive install.

Using the 1.563 ISO I have alsa sound using the liveCD. In gasetup I used the audio setup option and switched to ALSA from OSS. Boom all the drivers load. An lsmod | grep snd shows many snd drivers, I can use the alsamixer, and games have sound.

As suggested I checked the contents of the files in /etc/modprobe.d  liveCD versus hard drive install. I think they are the same.

Hard drive install...
No go. If I use gasetup as root to set the sound system to alsa, nothing happens, lsmod
grep snd does not show a single file, and alsamixer seems absent. I am going to go through dmesg and messages again. I must have missed something. Strange thing is lspci on both systems (live and hard drive) show the sb live and the sb live game port.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

I'm curious what it's doing, let me know what you find.  Check the startup scripts and that oss is disabled and alsa enabled.  Seems strange, I've actually enabled alsa on installs I've done myself, definitely something odd going on but may be some other variable influencing it on your system. 
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

aust_txv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:53 am »
Good morning,
Yep this is quite strange. I was going to dig out completely different hardware and try again, but this Dell 400SC has all Intel components minus the SB Live and AVGA AGP. I am going to stick with this set up. I have to head to work, I'll get back into this action tonight. Beers on me. 
Thanks,
Tom

gabe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2012, 12:44:38 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:20:13 am »
Not that this should have anything to do with anything...

But does that motherboard have onboard sound in addition to an SB Live card?

aust_txv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:43 am »
Update... In short when you do a hd install - fdisk, network, then let the install script fly ... configure audio and video after. 
Thank you bitbytebit.

I have alsa sound in mame with alsamixer and all the bells and whistles installed to the hard drive. Honestly, it wasn't broke so I really didn't fix anything. I changed my install procedure.

After bitbytebit's help and some alsa gentoo google-ing I came to the conclusion that alsa "should" work. I re-installed ( for about the 4th time )  however, I did not touch a thing.  I fdisked my hard drive, configured eth0 only and let the install script go. Reboot, then I configured the system. Under Audio I switched from OSS to ALSA and the modules loaded right up.

@gabe ... Good idea. For this type of install I usually disable local (motherboard) audio devices because I have a bunch of SB Live's to play with and have never had a problem with them.  I had this same issue using the on-board  sound as well.

Here's my hardware
Dell 400sc P4 2.8Ghz 1.5gig RAM
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]    AVGA
Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)         SB LIVE
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
I-PAC ( thinking about a j-pac also )
25" CGA display - this is a WG - I don't remember what model, but it does not need a video amp, I come right out of the AVGA to a jamma board into the cab jamma harness.

GroovyArcade ~ # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (rev 01)
02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)
02:02.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 08)
02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Man I suck at Zaxxon ...

Thanks again.
Tom