Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another Tron restoration project  (Read 3252 times)

BMW Z1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 08:23:57 am
Another Tron restoration project
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:04:11 am »
I finally found myself a project for the coming months. I managed to win this on EBay UK for £570. Apparently it's not working, but that’s no surprise as it’s been sitting in a garage and the photos I received of the inside of the cab look like a lot of the connectors have some corrosion that will need cleaning.

Paid a high but fair price for this cab as they seem to be a lot rarer in the UK than in the US.

I have not collected the cab yet but will post progress here, as it looks like I’m going to need a lot of help sourcing parts ETC, and I’m looking forward to many months of restoration work!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:07:00 am by BMW Z1 »

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Another Tron restoration project
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:16:17 pm »
Yikes! That *is* expensive for non-working. And that marquee takes the prize for most flaked marquee I've ever seen.

But the side-art looks pretty damn good. Good luck and keep us posted!  :cheers:
NO MORE!!

BMW Z1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »
Yikes! That *is* expensive for non-working. And that marquee takes the prize for most flaked marquee I've ever seen.

But the side-art looks pretty damn good. Good luck and keep us posted!  :cheers:

Hi RayB,
   It was still a better price than my max bid of £720 ;D If I was in the US or Canada I know I could pick one up for less than it's going to cost me to restore this back to 100% but then again that takes all the fun out of DIY! These are rare as rocking horse Sh$t on Ebay UK so I was not going to miss out on this one :) Hopefully the main board will be OK with a good clean and I know the monitor will need a recap before I do anything else.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:47:36 pm by BMW Z1 »

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:58:42 pm »
i have seen cabs go for far more that were not as desirable,this went relatively cheap for 1 reason,it looked like a sack of s**t.

that cab needs full resto,needs art removing,cab repairs,stripping,sanding,filling,sanding,priming,respray.new side art.new marquee,dont know the plastic parts around monitor.it will probably need cp overlay and possibbly the controls will need a overhaul.

theres monitor that might be naffed or not and need recap.the boards might need repair,if you are not a repair person it might be expensive.theres other parts inside to take into account also that might need rejuvenating.

basicly it will need a good £400+ spending on it for sure to get it up and running and nice.

thats why people were not willing to throw money at it,people have been throwing cabs galore on ebay recently and asking for stupid money,now theres less people with money to throw at cabs.

the cab will probably cost you more than £1000 when all is said and done.also the seller naffed up asking for cash on collection.if hes down south and someone up north wanted it,time/petrol comes into the equation.it would have probably been £600+ if it had been paypal and other forms of payment accepted.
 :)

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:35 pm »
I have considered importing a cab from USA in the past. But the costs are around £500 just for the shipping and import. That kills any potential deal. Only time I would do that is if the cab I'm buying is already restored and in absolute split mint condition. In fact I was considering buying one of those restored DK cabs that Richie Knuckles was selling but the price plus shipping was just waaaaay too much for me.

That Tron cab doesn't look too bad really. All the controls are there and the side art as mentioned looks pretty complete. I don't know much about Tron... was it a regular 19" monitor? I think the price was a little high for non-working but so long as the board itself is fine anything else should be quite easy. But I've never done a restore on an original game before so I cannot be of any help, sorry. Good luck with it though!   :cheers:

BMW Z1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:41 am »
i have seen cabs go for far more that were not as desirable,this went relatively cheap for 1 reason,it looked like a sack of s**t.

that cab needs full resto,needs art removing,cab repairs,stripping,sanding,filling,sanding,priming,respray.new side art.new marquee,dont know the plastic parts around monitor.it will probably need cp overlay and possibbly the controls will need a overhaul.

theres monitor that might be naffed or not and need recap.the boards might need repair,if you are not a repair person it might be expensive.theres other parts inside to take into account also that might need rejuvenating.

basicly it will need a good £400+ spending on it for sure to get it up and running and nice.

thats why people were not willing to throw money at it,people have been throwing cabs galore on ebay recently and asking for stupid money,now theres less people with money to throw at cabs.

the cab will probably cost you more than £1000 when all is said and done.also the seller naffed up asking for cash on collection.if hes down south and someone up north wanted it,time/petrol comes into the equation.it would have probably been £600+ if it had been paypal and other forms of payment accepted.

Yep saleem you are correct, is a bit of a sh£t heap lol and worse than I thought! Bottom and lower half of the cab is rotten to f$ck and I will need to be cut it out and replace it. Screen is dead, but that’s probably due to no 128v to the monitor, I need to recheck all those fuse holders again.

I shall re-cap and repair the monitor if need be myself. I got rid of the load humming noise as that was a dry joint on a cap on the amp board. It looks like this has sat in a garage for years as there’s loads of white crap all over the wood inside that just brushes off, this probably due to the seller being not too far from the sea. Months of fun ahead!

Here’s some more pic’s of the sick machine

Boards out for a clean, least the cables seem OK

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:26 am »
get yourself over to j+ also,you will get lots of feedback and help from british based gamers.

BMW Z1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:30:19 am »
get yourself over to j+ also,you will get lots of feedback and help from british based gamers.

Hi Saleem, J+ ? where do I find them? Cheers :)

BMW Z1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 07:17:20 am »
Restoration now on Jamma+ forum
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:35:53 pm by BMW Z1 »