Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Power Plug with Switch  (Read 2569 times)

Woodshop Flunky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
Power Plug with Switch
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:11:54 pm »
Does anyone know of a source for this type of power plug?  I don't even know what to call it... so my Google attempts have been pretty fruitless.

Thanks!

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
Re: Power Plug with Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:10:31 am »
i'm not even sure what that top prong could do, a second ground maybe.... have you tried modifying a standard PC power cord to fit, it looks like a standard layout just with 1 more prong on the top

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:31:08 am »
Are you looking for a suitable power cable or a entry module w/ switch as pictured?

The mating cable-side connector is an IEC 60320 (aka IEC 320) type C13.  These are commonly just referred to as "IEC cables" (though this is technically quite ambiguous) or "computer cables".  They're readily available for a few bucks at many places online.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

The pictured module is commonly referred to as a "power entry module" or similar.  The inlet connection (to accept the power cable) is IEC 60320 (aka IEC 320) type C14.  The "usual" distributors in your region should have quite a selection.  In the USA, check Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, Newark, etc.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CCM1666-ND is something close to what you want.  Search for "power entry" to find a large assortment.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:25 am »
Dang MonMotha, you just confirmed a suspicion. Those are DPST's.

I have some I picked up but never used them because they're SPST's wired on the hot side. I didn't realize it until it was too late. I guess I'll just toss them.  :embarassed:

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:45:45 am »
monmotha i don't mean to derail you because you because you obviously know what your talking about and you did some research to get him some links, but unless my eye's deceive me there is clearly a 4th prong there directly above the grounding prong.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:51:56 am »
there is often a tab on the fuse holder to prevent removing the fuse whilst the power is still applied. perhaps this is just an odd reflection of the tab showing.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:05:05 am »
Are you looking for a suitable power cable or a entry module w/ switch as pictured?

The mating cable-side connector is an IEC 60320 (aka IEC 320) type C13.  These are commonly just referred to as "IEC cables" (though this is technically quite ambiguous) or "computer cables".  They're readily available for a few bucks at many places online.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

The pictured module is commonly referred to as a "power entry module" or similar.  The inlet connection (to accept the power cable) is IEC 60320 (aka IEC 320) type C14.  The "usual" distributors in your region should have quite a selection.  In the USA, check Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, Newark, etc.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CCM1666-ND is something close to what you want.  Search for "power entry" to find a large assortment.

I didn't even notice the fourth prong! :)

I'm just looking for a clean way to connect a power cord with a master switch.  From the wiki link in your post, I see the power cord on my PC and monitor is C13.  So I guess that's what I'm looking for.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 01:23:54 pm »
You're right, I didn't see that 4th prong.

That 4th prong is in a location that looks like it is consistent with the C15 "high temperature" plug.  The high temp socket (C16) has an extra keying feature right where that 4th "prong" is to prevent use with a standard temp (C13) cable.  The high-temp (C15) cable then has a cut-out keyway to mate with this extra keying feature.  The high temp cable can also be used on a standard temp socket (C14) as there's no key to get in the way.  That key is usually just an extra hunk of plastic, but it looks consistent with your extra "prong", here.  It's probably electrically neutral.

http://www.bizsyscon.com/product/VARIOUS__POWER%20CORD%20IEC-60320%20C15__3715.html is an example of a mating cable with a standard US NEMA 5-15 plug.  You can also get them (seemingly more readily) with the standard EU and British connectors.  They're commonly used as "kettle cords" over there.

I'd replace the module with a more common C14 entry type.  You'll be able to use any old "IEC cable", then, and this is not a high temperature application.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:11:51 pm »

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »
Thanks for the question and the links! I was wondering where to get these myself!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:37 am »
Lizard lick Has these, a little expensive at $10 but if your ordering other arcade parts it can end up being cheaper, paying for shipping of 1 item is a killer :'(

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:29:29 am by Bender »

MB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2011, 08:25:03 am
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »
I got mine from arcadeshop.de

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Power-Supply-Grid-Block-6A_864.html

I don't know where you live and how much the shipping would be but it's an option.

These only have three prongs like the standard socket on a PC power supply.