Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: World's Smallest Donkey Kong/MAME Cab!*it's Official Guinness Gaming ed. 2012*  (Read 61505 times)

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
Also, does the handheld have video out?

Can you access all of the same MAME options as with a computer?
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
On Slashdot now too, eh? Neat.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial

Really?
Got a link for that?

Yvan256

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256

It's not really "on Slashdot", but I thought that his cab was worth mentioning in a thread about the 30th anniversary of DK.  :applaud:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Yep. I got confused somehow and thought I was posting about DK when it was in fact Space Invaders.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/07/12/0441252/Exercise-Your-Thumbs-and-Eyeballs-With-a-Tiny-Space-Invaders-Cabinet

I must have remember the comment posted above and failed to double check what I was thinking before I posted. My apologies.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:46:15 pm
Re: World's Smallest Donkey Kong/MAME Cab! Videos! NEW PROGRESS PICS 7/10
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
New Progress Pics added to first post
Check it!!

I love it.   The pic of the green Happ button in front of your entire CP really puts it into perspective.  You are effing crazy.  :notworthy:

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
Is the monitor mounted vertically? or is it stretching the video sideways?

Bender

• Offline Offline
It's mounted Vertically
Unfortunately the menu is only available horizontally that's why in the videos I turn the it sideways to select the game

Actually, I'm Trying to figure out how to mount it horizontally my next one
gonna be tough cause the ribbon cable is really short and goes through a slot in the PCB
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:16:02 pm by Bender »

anonymous.coward

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2011, 02:07:21 pm
Re: World's Smallest Donkey Kong/MAME Cab! Videos!*NEW PROGRESS PICS 7/10*
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2011, 10:32:15 pm »

Actually, I'm Trying to figure out how to mount it horizontally my next one
gonna be tough cause the ribbon cable is really short and goes through a slot in the PCB

Any luck on this?  I want to extend the screen from the PCB and found this:

http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=49

Unfortunately, I am unable to find a source for a 61 contact FFC.  DigiKey has
a 61 pin ZIF connector, but I do not know if it is compatible.

putto72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2016, 10:18:18 am
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2011, 05:06:49 am »
Amazing work Bender: the attention to details is incredible..  :notworthy:
Since I don't have the room for a full-size cabinet, this could really be a solution!

I ordered a pre-owned Wiz and I just received it from Play-Asia; unfortunately they sent it without the battery, so I'm waiting now for the missing part to arrive. I will try a tiny Ms Pac Man using 4mm plywood; I had to slightly change the original cabinet shape (lowering controls), because I'm going to mount the display like in your tiny DK machine.

I have not opened the Wiz yet, because I wanted to make sure it worked before splitting it; anyway, I have a few questions about cabling; from your picture (back of the Wiz motherboard) you connected: power button (which pins?); volume up/down; speakers?; left and right buttons; battery terminals.
The pictures are good but the resolution is limited, plus there is hot glue in the way, so it's not easy to understand: I suppose that you took USB power from the EXT connector (only power or data too?) and powered the marquee by connecting to a power line on the motherboard.
On the other side, you connected the four directions, some buttons (A and X?), menu and select.
Am I missing something important? Where did you find the schemes? I only found the EXT pinout..
Also, I could not find a female mini-usb connector, so I'll probably use a standard DC power jack.

I have not built any model from my childhood, but I will try.. ;D

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 08:12:16 am »
So does the original unit have composite vid out? I think I would like to create a scale model Astro City or other candy cab using the same unit along with a PSone screen that I have.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 09:33:54 am »
From what I'm reading, the CAANOO seems to support external USB joysticks as long as they compatible with the regular HID standard.

It means it would be pretty easy to make a tiny cabinet with internal USB controls in which you can simply insert your CAANOO without needing to modify it in any way.

vcoleiro1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2018, 09:24:38 am
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 11:09:48 am »
From what I'm reading, the CAANOO seems to support external USB joysticks as long as they compatible with the regular HID standard.

It means it would be pretty easy to make a tiny cabinet with internal USB controls in which you can simply insert your CAANOO without needing to modify it in any way.

Great minds think alike, I had the very same idea of using my Caanoo with a USB controller.  The only problem is that you would need to slot it in vertically which would mean the mama4all menu would be the wrong way around .  You could slot it in horizontally , but that would mean a very wide (relatively) cab. 

On the Caanoo front, I have had it for a little while now and I must say it is a very impressive bit of hardware. Especially since you can pick them up new and delivered for $110. Its for this reason I didnt mod it, I just couldnt bring myself to crack it open, its to awesome, that's why the usb controller hack came to mind.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 07:04:46 pm »
Great minds think alike, I had the very same idea of using my Caanoo with a USB controller.  The only problem is that you would need to slot it in vertically which would mean the mama4all menu would be the wrong way around.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to ask the developers to have a vertical menu option, with the ability to save said options on the storage card so that it always boots that way.

If the USB port is on the side, then it's even better. Care to post a picture?

ADodds720

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2011, 09:09:14 am
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:55 pm »
Boy i hope someone is reading this thread other than me. First off, Bender, AMAZING WORK! I've been watching your videos and studying your pics for some time, and finally caved and started to build my own microcade. Externally, its my own design, but the internals are going to be just like yours (its just too perfect to modify!) Anyhoo, I got the buttons and joysticks down and well understood, but what I didn't realize until after I'm halfway into the final construction, is that your battery is hacked to charge through micro usb. I have no idea how to do this particular hack, and can't seem to see any clear pics of yours as to how it was done. If its at all possible, do you think you could send me some pics of the battery, the wiring and the wiring locations of everything pertaining to this mod? like I stated before I have done everything else so far, but can't complete until I figure this power issue out. Thank you so much, and fyi all my friends and family who ask about my microcade, I most respectfully credit you and refer them to this thread.

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »
ADodds720,

Thanks! for the compliments
Unfortunately the solder points are small so you have to be a bit careful, have fun and good luck
Can't wait to see what you come up with

I got the connector pinout info from a GP2X wiz forum here bottom of the page
if I remember correctly I used the +5v on 21-22 and the ground from 12 that's all you need for power/recharge
However if I were to do it again I'd go all the way and do the data over USB too so I could just plug it into the computer to add/subtract games and software
as it is now I have to take the back off to get the memory card out to change anything

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:31:38 pm by Bender »

putto72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2011, 05:17:43 am »
ADodds720,
I created a similar project (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=115395.0).
If I remember correctly, I shorted together pins 22, 21 and 16 (+5 V); then I shorted pins 19 and 12 (-), and used a standard round power connector instead of the mini-USB connector, since it was difficult to find (and solder!).
I can confirm that, as Bender said, you need brain-surgeon skills to solder this thing :)
As for the battery, I did not modify it: using a Dremel I cut around the battery compartment, so that it became the size of the motherboard. The battery compartment is kept in place using screws and bolts; I recovered the bolts from the plastic, and used the original screws to put together the motherboard and the battery compartment (look at the pictures in my post). In this way, I can replace the battery with another standard battery, if I need to.
Good luck!

ADodds720

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:06 pm »
To Bender,

Thanks a ton for that link. It helped A LOT! I can honestly say I've played around with swapping buttons and switches before, so thats not too difficult, but tis is a first for me as far as hacking pinouts. I was successful in soldering most of my buttons today, but I'm a little stuck on the joystick. I understand how to wire it for the most part, but the ground has me a bit confused. Where did you connect that? I checked your pics but can't seem to find it. I theorize I can link all four grounds from the buttons to the joystick, but from what I can tell, you did it differently. I must say what ever your method is, it looks cleaner and less of a hassle than what I have planned. Any more pointers regarding this would be great.

To Putto72,

Thanks a bunch for your link as well. I read everything and it was truly, truly helpful. I do however have a question for you. You stated that you shorted pins 21,22 and 16 for your charger. I read Benders link further. And it stated that 21 and 22 are connected internally and are the Power in +5v. 16 is USB Power +5v. Is there a need to short 21,22 with 16? I intend to use a USB 2.0 for my connector, and have that be my charger. Don't take this as me calling you out lol, I'm just a little confused as to the logic. I have just enough knowledge to squeek by on these kind of projects, but not enough to fully understand them. Help from you would be greatly appreciated as well.

To all, I will post pics of my build as soon as its finished in another thread as not to steal the glory from this one. Thanks to all for the support.

putto72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2011, 03:18:39 am »
ADodds720,
since I did not modify in any way the battery, I initially avoided to connect pin 21 and 22 and connected just pin 16 to +5V external; the led did not turn orange when external power was connected, so I shorted together 21, 22 and 16 and then everything worked. I just used a tester on the cable when it was connected to find out which pins were to be soldered; my Wiz cable shorts 21, 22 and 16.
As regarding the ground, it's common to all the buttons and joystick, you can daisy chain the ground of the buttons and that of the joystick (center pin).

ADodds720

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2011, 02:56:20 pm »
awesome, I had planned on daisy chaining, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for clearing up the pin issue, thats makes sense. One finally question, and I shall not plague this thread with more seemingly dumb questions. I no longer have a tester, it broke (as am I.) Which leads on the joystick buttons are the grounds? I am assuming the thicker side is the pos and the thinner the neg, but again, I can't test it for sure and I don't want to fudge up this far in. Thanks again.

putto72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2011, 06:11:55 pm »
I suppose you are referring to joystick pads on the Wiz mobo; signal is the thinner track, ground is the thickest. But I would NOT reccommend going on without a tester: you need to be sure you're not shorting signals after soldering - remember that you MUST be very good at soldering, otherwise you will have better luck asking for help from a friend.

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2011, 07:21:32 pm »
Hey Bender,

Maybe if you asked really nicely the guys who programed the interface for the GP2XWiz MAME emulator would rotate the GUI for you so that you wouldn't have to turn the cabinet on it's side.  Should be a difficult thing to do.  I think that they might also get a kick of posting pics of your mirco mini DK cab on their emulator site.  Might be something to look into. :applaud:

Jigenjuke

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2011, 07:32:23 pm »
I've asked
got no reply :(

putto72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2011, 03:41:25 am »
Bender, if you have the source maybe I could do it

ADodds720

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2011, 03:14:04 pm »
putto72,
Thats exactly what I was referring to, thanks. I apologize if I'm hard to understand, my nomenclature is terrible, but rest assured, I'm no fool. Again, thanks for all the help.

ADodds720

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2011, 04:03:46 pm »
After a good nights rest I finished up 99% of the soldering. I decided not to touch the charger pinouts, but instead hack and mod the original charger cable. I decased it to slim it down, and swapped the male usb head with a female. This process was much easier and less of a strain on my patience. The last part to do is solder my marquee light on and its assembly time! I'm gonna try to snag a volt meter from my brothers work (with permission of course:)) and find a suitable place to attach it. Just out of curiosity, where did you attach yours? I'm a little concerned my cab might not fit it in with the marquee. If it works, great, if not, I'm still very pleased with this project.

putto72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2011, 09:12:08 am »
Well done.
I had the same idea (keeping the original cable), but when I centered the display in the cabinet I found that there was no room for the cable, even after removing the plastic shell (my cabinet is deep, but narrow).
For the marquee light, I used a USB self-powered lamp for e-book (HAMA 00054309); it has its own battery, its own switch and ends with a mini-usb male which can be used for recharging. I wired this cable in parallel with +5V which is being fed by the round power connector I installed. In your case, you could attach to red (+5V) and black in the wiz cable. Obviously you would need to add an external rocker switch wired in parallel to that embedded in the e-book lamp (to turn it on or off); I used Digikey CH865, which is really small and very nice. This lamp does not take much space, when you remove the plastic shell; it should fit just right.

xtremearcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2012, 08:45:46 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2012, 08:45:46 am »
Where can we buy this gadget?

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »
Bender,

Again great job.  I would be interested in the name of the company that made the modle-makers' styrene.  If you could hit me back with that I would be grateful.

Jigenjuke

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2012, 09:52:05 am »
 :o WOW!  :notworthy:

Uber skills right there!
Happy Gaming!

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
Just re-pin the screen connections and mount the screen on a motor. Rotating that mini on the fly would just be over the top.  :burgerking:

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
Ha, that's amazing. Stunning attention to detail!
This signature is intentionally left blank

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:10:56 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2012, 09:16:56 am »
Bender,

Again great job.  I would be interested in the name of the company that made the modle-makers' styrene.  If you could hit me back with that I would be grateful.

Jigenjuke

You can buy styrene from most model shops. It's used a lot in model railways, scale  model dioramas, also architectural models.

This is an amazing piece of work by the way (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Sartrefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2012, 02:05:48 pm
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »
This may be well past the time for questions on this project, but I was thinking of doing one of these as well and was wondering what your process was for doing all the artwork including: sideart, marquee, CPO overlay, and display bezel.  I just ordered a GP2X Wiz and look forward to taking on this monumental challenge

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2012, 01:01:08 am »
Get a really good magnifying glass and kick the coffee habit. I always show this thread to family/friends and I am always picking up their jaws off the floor.

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2012, 06:20:25 pm »
@Sartrefan all the DK cab art can be found online, I just scaled it down and printed it on adhesive vinyl trough an inkjet printer then put a clear coating on top of that, I used backlight film for the marquee

@Dna Dan, Thanks Man!

@patrickl, thank you, for the complement and inspiration the Pocket Galaga is AMAZING!

Sartrefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2012, 02:05:48 pm
Thank you for the response Bender.  Got the Wiz ordered yesterday and all the controls today.  I'll definitely start posting some pics when I get things rolling.  Did you ever consider the Raspberry Pi as an option?  I assume the Raspberry board would cause some size constraints but looks like possibly a good cheap option for a slightly larger cabinet.  Maybe for the mini Centipede cabinet I want to build as well

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
Hey there Bender,

I had a few questions.  I have more than a few 8GB iPod Touch 3rd Gens lying around.  I was inspired to make a few Micros like yours (Well after I finish up my current projects for the upcoming gallery this month ;D)

I was very impressed with your attention to detail on the coin doors, maqruee holders and such.  I haven't had much luck finding the modeling material that you used.  If you could send me a link for purchasing these materials I would be greatful!

Also I was interested in how you scaled this cabinet down.  The Donkey Kong replica you made was 1/8th scale.  Did you take into consideration the GP2X Wiz 2.8inch monitor size when scaling down?  How did you go about doing this?  The iPod Touch 3rd Gens have a 4.3 inch screen size. 

I will probably be making the following

Micro Donkey Kong
Micro Dig Dug
Micro Centipede (Will be using a hacked Ultra mini bluetooth trackball keyboard with this one, so it will only hold trackball games)
Micro Galaxian

And finally, possibly a Mirco Moon Patrol (if I can work out the scaling to fit the ipod touch 3g for horizontal placement.  I really want all of the cabinets to be around the same size and also actual scaled size if possible.  If not I will just end up doing vertical mount micros.

Anyway, any help that you could give me would be welcome!

Great project again by the way!

Jigenjuke

retrostark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 03:48:51 pm
  • Indie Dev/Custom Arcade Cabinet Hobbyist
    • RetroStarkCustomCabs.com
i really like your work bender.
Indie Dev/Custom Arcade Cabinet Hobbyist