Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: World's Smallest Donkey Kong/MAME Cab!*it's Official Guinness Gaming ed. 2012*  (Read 61332 times)

DirtyDachshunds

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
Now someone needs to top him by making a cab with this

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photo-Frame-Keychain-Picture/dp/B001MA6M8Q

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:52:34 pm
Bender - this is an outstanding project that you should be VERY proud of.  Excellent job!   :cheers:

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
Now featured on Engadget.com

Nice! Great cab!

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Absolutely fantastic!!!  The way it comes apart in two separate sections is brilliant. I didn't even know you could put Mame onto an SD card like that. That little joystick surely looks like it works well even in 4-way games. You didn't seem to have any problems in that clip of playing Ms.Pacman. The coin door button is just so cute.  :applaud:

I don't keep up with the technology regarding handhelds. I do remember playing on a friends PSP some time back and being impressed with the graphics/screen. You may just have inspired me to make my own handheld now just like I was by Leapinglew with his Galaga bartop! But in all honesty I don't have the modelling skills you clearly have.

One other little point... the sounds of DK sound like they are in slow motion. But the graphics seemed to be playing fine. Did anyone else notice that? Nitpicky by me ofc  ::) but DK is my all time fave arcade game so it kinda stood out to me.

Overall that is one really impressive build. Yet again you have raised the bar!   :cheers:

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
Re: World's Smallest Donkey Kong/MAME Cab with real controls..?!?
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2011, 04:34:10 pm »
Hey Bender, do you have the plans you used to build this cab? I would like to build my daughter a 1/2 scale version, so if you have all the measurements from the full cab, I would be greatful to get them from you.  :notworthy:

gonna build my son a 1/2 scale one as well  ;D

shilmover

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Just watched the videos, really great showcase for an awesome build!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
Awesome cabinet, really well built. Thanks for the videos!

I hope I'm not the only one who'd like a bit more details about the marquee, the t-molding and the coin door.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Video shows how great it plays.  Alot of micro cabs are not very playable but yours rocks  :applaud: :applaud:

robgill2008

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2011, 08:28:05 pm
I'll take two...please.
Very nice, great detail...just awesome.
Thanks for sharing.
Rob

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
FANTASTICAL!  

I had an idea similar to this a few years back using an old cell phone with Pac-Man as a dedicated micro cabinet.  I could never have even come close to the beautiful and perfect craftmanship that you have created here.  I would love to have one Iota of the skill that you posess to do something this praise worthy.  

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2018, 08:45:48 am
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
Bender, this is awesome! Fantastic detail.

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
Awesome, one of the coolest builds ever.

Very professional job.  :cheers:

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
i just saw the vid on another site and then noticed the name by the youtube vids. man, stop please youre too good ;)
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
You did a great job there Bender. 

Whats next, a Mini Defender?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:18:23 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
The video really clinches it.  I was a little skeptical about playability, but you can't argue with the vids.  Really nice.  Impressed to see how well the hardware is handling the emulation too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:49:33 pm by RandyT »

chris77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 10:08:55 am
  • Instant C
    • visual pinball
holy smoke!   I  LOVE  IT  :applaud:   

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2023, 07:11:28 am
  • duck
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang that's cool.

tho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 06:09:47 pm
That is great, mental addition to the list of thing's I'd like to try and do.  Great Job!

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
Incredible job! A true work of art. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I bet when people see that on your desk they think "aww how cute, the geek has a mini DK machine". Then you turn it on and they probably drop their jaws and feel like complete morons. I'd love to see other people's reaction when you show them.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
so how much for a Ms.Pac version?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Corbo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2019, 07:49:12 am
  • I've not seen such bravery
    • Minicade - Mini Gauntlet MAME project
Great cabinet!  This makes my mini arcade project look massive lol

My mini arcade project:  http://minicade.blogspot.com/

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost

CrookieMonster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2011, 02:04:43 pm
This really is a very outstanding piece of work! Bender, I know this probably isn't forum protocol for a newbie on here but please can you PM me?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:04:29 pm by CrookieMonster »

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
Certified DOPE, as the hip-hopper in me would say  :applaud:

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
Bender, how did you make the coin door?
 :applaud:
Jigenjuke

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
simply fantastic...that might be the single most impressive project i have seen on this site...and that is saying alot. 
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

capranet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2011, 09:38:26 am
Hello, Bender sorry for the English but I am translating with google! First of all congratulations for the wonderful minimame! and then let me know if you sell it as if you? reriamente are interested!
let me know.

bandit721

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2018, 11:53:15 am
One word - WOW!  :notworthy:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
Late to the party, but I did see this pop up on Engadget when they featured it. When I noticed your name in the article, I was like "Oh holy crap, Bender is genius." Excellent work man, completely inspirational.  :cheers:

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Re: World's Smallest Donkey Kong/MAME Cab! Videos! NEW PROGRESS PICS 7/10
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2011, 02:06:40 pm »
New Progress Pics added to first post
Check it!!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Loving those build pics! Really shows the attention to detail that it takes to produce something of this quality. Using pin heads for rivets! Deliberately making paint orange peel to get the right effect! And the pic of the control panel with the full size button it great.  :applaud:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
New Progress Pics added to first post
Check it!!

Brilliant. I would never have thought to do that for the coin door, the pin heads make so much sense and that orange peel effect is stellar.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Finally, details about all the details! Amazing work on those coin doors, control panel... well, on everything!  :cheers:

Minions

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 01:43:57 pm
Damn! All I got to say is soldering those tact switches and getting a good bond can be a pita. Having someone hold them with pliers or something would probably make it easier but still I had the prongs/solder break quite often since there is not much to attach to.

vcoleiro1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2018, 09:24:38 am
Absolutely awesome build and attention to detail. 

Thanks for posting more details on the build and providing the inspiration to build my own mini cab which pales to insignificance compared to your awesome donkey kong mini cab. Actually we should call these Micro cabs, lets get a new tag for these out there, mini has been used for half sized down to bartop for ages , it doesnt fit the bill for this cab, I say lets call it a Micro cab, what do you think?.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:34:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
So damn cool!  :notworthy:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256

Thanks for posting more details on the build and providing the inspiration to build my own mini cab which pales to insignificance compared to your awesome donkey kong mini cab. Actually we should call these Micro cabs, lets get a new tag for these out there, mini has been used for half sized down to bartop for ages , it doesnt fit the bill for this cab, I say lets call it a Micro cab, what do you think?.

As you say, the "mini" name has been abused, in my mind a mini-cab would be for something like my MVS99-6, Corbo's Gauntlet, Jigenjuke's Cocktail/Mini Pac/Mini Ms. Pac.

How about we create some standards around here? How about a poll with dimensions (going with scale, to be constant)? We could then define "original size", "regular", "small", "mini", "micro" and "nano". The question is, what are the ranges of scales before a cabinet falls into one or another category. What category is a cabinet that's 95% as big as the original? How about 57%, etc.

Bender's DK cab falls into "nano", in my opinion. Even "micro" doesn't do it justice.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:53:04 pm by Yvan256 »

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Damn! All I got to say is soldering those tact switches and getting a good bond can be a pita. Having someone hold them with pliers or something would probably make it easier but still I had the prongs/solder break quite often since there is not much to attach to.

A third hand is really helpful
then hot glue the connection and it's pretty indestructible

As you say, the "mini" name has been abused, in my mind a mini-cab would be for something like my MVS99-6, Corbo's Gauntlet, Jigenjuke's Cocktail/Mini Pac/Mini Ms. Pac.

Bender's DK cab... well, I'm going to class it "nano" since "micro" just doesn't do it justice.

How about we create some standards around here? How about a poll with dimensions (going with scale, to be constant)? We could then define "original size", "regular", "small", "mini", "micro" and "nano". The question is, what are the ranges of scales before a cabinet falls into one or another category. What category is a cabinet that's 95% as big as the original? How about 57%, etc.

Bender's DK cab falls into "nano", in my opinion. Even "micro" doesn't do it justice.

I've been referering to it as a micro cab, but I'm open to input
this is a sticker I put on a little pelican case I have for it

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am

A third hand is really helpful
then hot glue the connection and it's pretty indestructible

Bender's DK cab... well, I'm going to class it "nano" since "micro" just doesn't do it justice.

I've been referering to it as a micro cab, but I'm open to input
this is a sticker I put on a little pelican case I have for it

Wow man this is awesome. What craftsmanship. I wonder what the hell those mini joysticks are produced for... What application would you need a joystick that small for?

I have a question for you. Could you left me know how some CAVE games like Dodonpachi run on that handheld? I'm really into Vertical shooters. If they run well on that system I'm gonna have to pick one up. I'll  take it apart and rebuild it into another case and TATE the screen. Portable bullet hell at last! (small screen I know, but in short burst it could be fun I think).
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.