Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PLANS - American Ace - Mini Arcade Cabinet  (Read 73214 times)

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Re: American Ace - Mini Vertical Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 09:34:41 am »
Sure doesn't look like you flunked woodshop

No ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, for reals man, this is looking sweet! love the inset template you made!

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:14 am »
Wow! Very nice attention to detail  :cheers:   If it would have been me I would have taken the easier route and found an epoxy to glue the battens to the sides instead of pulling the laminate back off   :o  How hard was that to do?

And thanks for the short tutorial on the monitor mount. Cant wait to try it out. I went and bought a cheapy compass but I'm not liking it. What do you use?   
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Woodshop Flunky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 10:10:22 am »
Thanks guys!

Sure doesn't look like you flunked woodshop

I was a machinist in the military and we had a seargent that use to tell us we were all a bunch of woodshop flunkies.  I loved it when he called us that!  I thought it was hilarious, and it stuck. :)

Wow! Very nice attention to detail  :cheers:   If it would have been me I would have taken the easier route and found an epoxy to glue the battens to the sides instead of pulling the laminate back off   :o  How hard was that to do?

And thanks for the short tutorial on the monitor mount. Cant wait to try it out. I went and bought a cheapy compass but I'm not liking it. What do you use?   

I set my router bit for about 1/16th of an inch and just ate it away with my router.  It wasn't really that difficult, but I don't think it was very good for my cutter.

I used a beam compass that my dad gave me from the 1960's when he was a draftsman.  You can make one pretty easy from scraps in the shop most likely.  One thing about how I centered the monitor... Once you have it centered, you still need to be careful not to rotate your template or the monitor will be rotated (I would just eyeball it).  Mine was slightly rotated because I forgot to do this.  I was able to fix it, since I made my board a little oversize anyway.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:13:25 am by Woodshop Flunky »

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15:11 am »
Sorry... I had a picture of a DIY beam compass I forgot to post.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 02:10:44 pm »
This is looking really good.  Your woodworking skills are awesome!  /envy

Really liking the style of this cabinet. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »
Love the side template, great idea!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 04:13:33 pm »
Very awesome progress.  :applaud:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 05:06:13 pm »
Oh this is going to be a good one.

Following along now. :)

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 05:59:14 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I'm just trying to keep up with the really nice cabs I've seen others post here.  :cheers:

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 09:33:28 pm »
Sorry... I had a picture of a DIY beam compass I forgot to post.

That is fricken cool  :applaud:  I'm making one this weekend!!
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 11:05:57 pm »
I absolutely love this build.  :applaud: The cabinet shape is fantastic and the execution is perfect. Everything from the monitor mounting to the internal routed sections for a perfectly symmetrical assembly are just blowing me away. I can't WAIT to see this finished. Awesome job so far. You are going to end up with a magnificent machine!!!

Keep those pictures rolling...

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 11:18:18 pm »
Nice work! I like the construction approach, keeping an eye on this one.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2011, 02:43:21 am »
Okay...  I've got less than eight weeks until I need to have this thing finished!  :dizzy:

The last thing I want to do is wait until the last couple of weeks, send my artwork off to be printed, and then find out that the colors on my screen are all out of whack compared to the printed product.  I also don't like the idea of paying for all the artwork if the previous situation occurs.  So, I've decided to push ahead and get just the marquee ready for print.  If it comes back different from what I see on my monitor, I have time to adjust things, and the price of just the marquee won't break the bank.

Before I send it off though, I want to put it out here to get some fresh eyes and opinions.

Let me know if anything seems off, or if there is something I've done that doesn't work well for a marquee.

One note... Since I made the final render, I've decided to change the props from white with black highlights, to white outline and white highlight (like the rest of the plane).

Oh... and the plane is a P-47, but I didn't try to stick it 100%, so if the panels or something like that isn't accurate... I'm okay with that.

Thanks everyone! :)

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2011, 05:29:08 am »
The marquee looks... ace.  :laugh2: Seriously, it looks fantastic.  :applaud: I would have added bullet sprays coming out of the plane's guns, possibly piercing the AMERICAN ACE text, perhaps even a 3D looking, blurry bullet coming at you. Anyway, this is turning out classy as hell.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2011, 05:15:26 pm »
The marquee looks great  :applaud:

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
Re: American Ace - Mini Vertical Cabinet (Control Panel - 05 May)
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:37 pm »
The marquee looks... ace.  :laugh2: Seriously, it looks fantastic.  :applaud: I would have added bullet sprays coming out of the plane's guns, possibly piercing the AMERICAN ACE text, perhaps even a 3D looking, blurry bullet coming at you. Anyway, this is turning out classy as hell.

Good idea... I didn't think about bullets on the marquee, but I might be putting som bullet holes on the side art.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:56 pm »
Started work on the CP this weekend.  Here was what I thought would work:

However, when I placed my hand on the spinner, the left side of my hand kept hitting the joystick... didn't like that.  :badmood:

So, I thought I might reposition things a little so my left hand isn't bumping the joystick when I'm using the spinner.  I switched things around and wonder what you guys thing I can do to keep things comfortable without making the CP too ugly.

Here is the layout with things swapped:

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:19:46 pm by Woodshop Flunky »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 05:53:30 am »
How about:

The spinner is "out of the way" and I personally think controlling games like Arkanoid will feel much better this way. This also makes it possible to place the buttons and stick in a more ergonomic position. Rest your hands on the panel for the best fit. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18:50 am »
I can't use my spinner comfortably with my left hand, I'm right handed.  Definitely do some test playing before you commit to not having any buttons on the left side of your spinner. 

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 09:10:39 am »
Now I'm thinking of not adding the dial.  I did a MAWS search for Parents, Good drivers, Vertical orientation, and Dial controller.  There were only 19 returns.  Out of the games listed the following are the only ones that seem interesting:

Arkanoid (love it)
Cosmic Chasm (never played in the arcades, but looks interesting)
Moonwar (never played, but got a score of 70% in MAWS)
Redline Race (my kid might like it :))
Tempest (love it)

So... is it worth putting the dial on?  I know this machine is not going to play all games... so should I just ditch the dial and put Arkanoid and Tempest in the same bucket as Karate Champ and TRON?  ???

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:45 am »
I bought a GGG Turbo Twist (that mounts in a 30 mm hole like a button) but I never use it as spinner games are just too gimmicky for me. Everything I want to play works with a joystick and 3-4 buttons (and that's just because I play modern shmups).

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »
So... is it worth putting the dial on?  I know this machine is not going to play all games... so should I just ditch the dial and put Arkanoid and Tempest in the same bucket as Karate Champ and TRON?  ???
I don't know, the two games that would make a dial even worth it is Arkanoid and Tempest (I like Free Kick as well, but it's just Soccer Arkanoid).
If you really like those games it's good to add a dial.

Personally, on my one cabinet with dial, I've been considering taking it out because I find the two or three games I can play with it just doesn't warrant the CP space.
Now-a-days I find myself mostly playing Shmups, Fighters and Beat-em-up games, so a joystick and buttons is all I need.
Getting those to feel great with a good layout is key to a lot of those types.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 02:31:13 pm »
...I personally think controlling games like Arkanoid will feel much better this way. This also makes it possible to place the buttons and stick in a more ergonomic position. Rest your hands on the panel for the best fit. 

Yeah... I messed around with it this morning (just letting my hands fall on the CP naturally).  Definitely 'feels' different than it looks when I was laying the controls out. :)

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
Re: American Ace - Mini Vertical Cabinet (Bending Laminate - 11 May)
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2011, 11:26:14 am »
Minor update today...

The sides of this cab are curved at the top and I wanted the entire top to be curved as well; so I cut the top so that it would flex.  I kept a few strips thicker so that I could screw the side panels in from the side.

One thing I did that made things easier for me was to make the top oversized initially.  This way I could position the top and use the back edge as a reference for the angle to be cut... avoiding as many measurements as I can. :)  I marked the waste to cut and then moved that line back a half inch.

Once I made my cut, the piece fit nicely and was even with the back.  Now when I put my backing on the cab, things should be nice and flush! :)

Six weeks and counting... Must work faster! :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:30:40 am by Woodshop Flunky »

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
Re: American Ace - Mini Vertical Cabinet (Marquee Retainer Installed)
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »
Like I said in one of my earlier post, I'm working more on art than anything else right now since I can work on construction while the artwork is being printed.

That said, I did do a little more in the shop this weekend.... :)

The bottom panel for the marquee area butts against the back panel, which needs to meet the monitor frame at 90 degrees.  The monitor frame position meets the CP (which needs to be 3/8 inch from the front of the cab).  So, I put together a temp CP to make sure all these things lined up correctly before I glued and screwed the marquee panels in place.  Also, you can see how the monitor fits in the frame. :)

This is an older photo, but it shows how I beveled the top (and also the bottom) marquee panels so I could put a thin marquee retainer without getting shadows.  I also beveled the battens just for good measure.

I used a piece of angle aluminum to make the marquee retainer.  I had to cut it down on my tablesaw since it was 3/4" on each side.  I ended up with 3/4" on one side and just under 3/8" on the other.  The 3/8" side will be facing out.  Since I didn't like the idea of trying to push a 3/4" strip of aluminum through my table saw, I drilled the mounting holes in the strip and then used them to mount the piece onto a 3/4" board that I could then safely push.  I also routed a channel in the top and bottom marquee panels so that the retainer can sit flush.  My intent was to either paint or have the parts black anodized... but I kind of like them all metal looking.  I'll wait until I get the Marquee art back to decide.

And with two pieces of Lexan.  The fit is snug... in fact, I have to loosen the retainer just a little to let me slip the sheets in.  I then thighten the retainers up, and there is very little play left.

This is a really crappy photo, but I just LOVED the way the back came out.  Everything lined up great and you can see there are no light gaps (the garage door is up and it was a very sunny day).

Five weeks and counting!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:55:16 pm by Woodshop Flunky »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »
Excellent!  :applaud:

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 03:23:36 pm »
nice work on the marquee holders. chroom looks nice, i still dont know how you removed the black laminate for the wooden holders for the panels  :dunno

They are very well cut out !

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:57 pm »
looking good   :applaud:

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »
I am still loving this build. Your cabinet looks factory made. The cuts are all so clean and well planned out. Thanks for posting more pics!!

Jigenjuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »
This cabinet is looking great.  One of my favorites by far.

Jigenjuke

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for the positive comments! :)

A forum like this offers a lot to this hobby.  For me, it really is fun to read what others are doing and to post my own work.  Also, this forum really helps to educate; I've learn so much from the people who post.

So... here is a TINY nugget I forgot to mention that might help someone (it would have helped me) :)  Always start your routing on the least visible area of your cabinet.  Placing and removing the router is the most likely time for me to slip.  Here is where I was lifting the router off the piece and it tilted just slightly!  Of course the second it happens... it's over you have your flaw.  Anyhow... don't start or finish your routing on your most visible face. :)

nice work on the marquee holders. chroom looks nice, i still dont know how you removed the black laminate for the wooden holders for the panels  :dunno

They are very well cut out !

If you look back a few posts, you will see that I cut holes in my MDF template.  I put a bushing guide on my router and dropped the bit 9/16" (1/2" for the MDF template and 1/16" for the laminate).  Then I placed my MDF template back on the now laminated plywood and clamped it down.  Using the cutouts in the MDF template, I routed away the laminate and about 0.020" of plywood.  The end result was a very clean bare wood surface to glue the battens on.

Corbo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2019, 07:49:12 am
  • I've not seen such bravery
    • Minicade - Mini Gauntlet MAME project
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2011, 11:35:57 am »
Great job so far this is a really clean cabinet, shame about the router slip, at least you had the nerve to take a router to yours.  If someone as skilled as you had a slip, I know now I would of destroyed my cabinet trying it, and probably anything else in my proximity.

Anyhow, don't let it put you off, you have too many people waiting for the end result now, don't let us down!  :applaud:

My mini arcade project:  http://minicade.blogspot.com/

dexxy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 05:52:36 pm
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:44 pm »
Fantastic Progress so far.  What size is your crt?  You now have me thinking about mounting my 21" vertically!

Keep up the great work! :)
If its interesting I'm interested!

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »
Great job so far this is a really clean cabinet, shame about the router slip, at least you had the nerve to take a router to yours.  If someone as skilled as you had a slip, I know now I would of destroyed my cabinet trying it, and probably anything else in my proximity.

Anyhow, don't let it put you off, you have too many people waiting for the end result now, don't let us down!  :applaud:
That slip was the first one I had on this build and I just had to sit down for a minute and take it in... :(  Looking on the bright side; the nick will mostly be covered by the t-molding... and I will NEVER start routing on a good face again. :)

Fantastic Progress so far.  What size is your crt?  You now have me thinking about mounting my 21" vertically!

Sorry, I wasn't able to read your post for staring at your avatar.  ;D  Okay, my CRT is 17" and actually fits very comfortably in this size cab (3/4 scale).  If I had made this full size I'm sure I could have put a 19" in there... maybe a 21" even.  Getting rid of the monitor housing really saved a lot of room.  The most limiting factor was the angle of the monitor... the higher the angle the further the yoke moved toward the back of the cab.  My monitor is angled at 22.5 degrees and is very comfortable to view while seated.  I think the Galaga cabs were around 15 degrees (which is where I started from).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:31:23 pm by Woodshop Flunky »

dexxy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 05:52:36 pm
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2011, 09:01:48 am »

That slip was the first one I had on this build and I just had to sit down for a minute and take it in... :(  Looking on the bright side; the nick will mostly be covered by the t-molding... and I will NEVER start routing on a good face again. :)

Sorry, I wasn't able to read your post for staring at your avatar.  ;D  Okay, my CRT is 17" and actually fits very comfortably in this size cab (3/4 scale).  If I had made this full size I'm sure I could have put a 19" in there... maybe a 21" even.  Getting rid of the monitor housing really saved a lot of room.  The most limiting factor was the angle of the monitor... the higher the angle the further the yoke moved toward the back of the cab.  My monitor is angled at 22.5 degrees and is very comfortable to view while seated.  I think the Galaga cabs were around 15 degrees (which is where I started from).

Thanks Woodshop Flunky! you've solved two problems for me, mounting my marquee and how to mount my crt.  I'm going to stick to horizontal for now but will make a vertical board as well that I can just bolt in..

My avatar is part of a self-healing hypnosis thing I'm working on.. if you stare at it long enough you feel bubbly :)
If its interesting I'm interested!

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »
Committed to a marquee and sent the file to Game on Grafix to have it printed.  I only made a few changes to the one I posted a while back; mainly that the prop is now spinning.  The image is 17.75 inches wide at 300dpi... so the actual marquee has a lot more detail than can be shown here.  The airplane seems lighter since I scaled it down so much.

The Game on Grafix site says that it usually take about 5-10 day to print and then ship.  Has that been the norm for those of you that have ordered from them?  Just curious since I still have the CP and the side art to have done.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:11:23 pm by Woodshop Flunky »

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:36 pm »
Crap!  :banghead:

I just noticed that the marquee has a thin white line going across the bottom of the prop!  It might be covered up by the bottom marquee retainer... but Murphy will probably have none of that. :)

Now I want it back from from Game on Grafix even more (to see if it will show).

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 05:09:25 pm »
Crap!  :banghead:

I just noticed that the marquee has a thin white line going across the bottom of the prop!  It might be covered up by the bottom marquee retainer... but Murphy will probably have none of that. :)

Now I want it back from from Game on Grafix even more (to see if it will show).

email them and ask if you can provide an updated image if they haven't started work yet!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
One thing I've learned from the projects I've made is to get the artowrk first and then work around that. It's just too problematic to expect the artwork to be measured EXACTLY how you want it to be once your cabinet is done. The only way to be sure of that is to be priniting it yourself. On two occasions now I've had to have artwork reprinted (a bezel and a marquee) because size instructions were not adhered to. And when I'm in the UK and the printer is in the States that's just a waste of my time.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 06:10:51 pm »
This is progressing beautifully, it's always pleasing to see quality craftsmanship in action.  Router slip you say?  I wont show you the results of my router going into fits recently (can't blame the router, I was being impatient)  :cheers: