Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I guess ill call it the black and red plague....??  (Read 14082 times)

willybeamish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2014, 01:59:10 pm
Re: I might as well toss my cab in here..project uhm IDK yet
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 01:13:13 pm »
Grabbed a Tankstick from Ebay for 150 shipped finally  ;D Now we can continue this beast and finish it up. I have in my possession a 22 LCD tv and also large CRT which was given to me with the cabinet im debating on which one to use. Im also thinking about somehow labeling the buttons on the tankstick but im not sure what you guys do since ill be bouncing around so many different emulators im very lost with that portion of it. Just need to cut the cab to make the Tankstick look good and fit proper..debating on making it removable from the cabinet. Ive also got a nice little mini fridge I was debating on puttin in the bottom and making the front coin door hinged but IDK if it will make it significantly weaker. Too many ideas  :blah:
Currently rebuilding a PP cab and converting it to a mame cab..view the progress here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122815.msg1305024.html#msg1305024

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
I might as well toss my cab in here..project uhm IDK yet
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »
22" CRT. Hands down. It's also 4:3.
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »
+1 for the CRT

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 12:09:24 am »
Yes more progress.. Got controls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Currently rebuilding a PP cab and converting it to a mame cab..view the progress here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122815.msg1305024.html#msg1305024

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:39 am »
Lookin' good!  The right angle cuts came out perfect.

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 01:52:48 pm »
Few thoughts about my next steps

-Will sideart stick to latex based paint??

-Still am debating on running a mini fridge in the bottom..

-Thinking about running red t molding and black paint..

-After setting in the controls gotta get a piece of tempered glass cut and figure out how to do a bezel for the CRT and depending on the space between the glass and monitor how to actually make it you get that funnel effect and avoid seeing the plastic surrounding of the CRT..

I love what this guy did with his cab and might look into doing the same (light up bottom piece), and not rip off the space invader thou..need to figure out what character to do and how big to do it. 

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 09:15:54 pm »
Little by little folks..I swear if not for my dad knowing his ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- when it comes to woodworking this thing would look terrible lol..So far hes put in a pull out drawer for a keyboard..getting prepped for tossing in a mini fridge on the bottom and built a frame for the glass around the monitor. Already bondoed a bunch of stuff and a bit of concern for us was bonding spots that will have to be routered for t molding and wondering will it completely flake off or will it act like wood. We test fit the big ole crt Delusional gave us and it was very tight and after taking off the base it worked out better. We need to order or make a new marquee..im lost as to what to have on it..writing Mame on it kinda seems generic  :dizzy: . We spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what size bit we need for the router for the t molding..pretty sure its 1/16 and im thinking red molding and a black cabinet.

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 10:34:23 am »
Starting to paint and ordered the T molding router bit from groovy..were almost done

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 11:05:58 am »
Keep pushing.  The last 10% becomes grueling.  Also make sure to setup realistic goals of completion.  We all tend to continue working on our machines long past their "completion".  Always something to do in addition.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
I might as well toss my cab in here..Cant quite figure out a name yet
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 01:02:48 pm »
Lookin' good!  Glad that you decided to go with the big CRT monitor I gave you. :-)

I like how you chopped off the damaged edges near the control panel's base support. Looks even better that way.

DeLuSioNaL29

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
Re: I might as well toss my cab in here..Cant quite figure out a name yet
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 01:12:55 pm »
Lookin' good!  Glad that you decided to go with the big CRT monitor I gave you. :-)

I like how you chopped off the damaged edges near the control panel's base support. Looks even better that way.

DeLuSioNaL29

Yeah man appreciate you throwing that in for me. And we were thinking how can we eliminate the most rot/damage and use the the least amount of bondo lol. So far its coming out awesome..if it was just me working on this thing it wouldnt look even 10% as good as it is. Im still working on the pc portion of it at home and grabbing roms and what not. Red T Molding is in the mail from groovy gamer, we already ordered the right Router Bit from them before and went ahead of routed the new wood.

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2013, 08:40:58 am »
Paint and t molding make it so much better

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 03:49:53 pm »

Picked up these guys for lighting
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=696-24994-HTP904E&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3316942&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Had a piece of plexi cut at lowes..once I figure out how to make a bezel ill peel of the protective layer..

I also found that one of the microswitches needed some tweaking on my Tankstick as well..

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: I guess ill call it the black and red plague....??
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »
Looking good.

Here's that xml file I PM'ed you about .  It has been stripped of all Nature and Majong games, clones are in currently. I believe that it is only working games left in the file. But please check it and let us know. 

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
Looking good.

Here's that xml file I PM'ed you about .  It has been stripped of all Nature and Majong games, clones are in currently. I believe that it is only working games left in the file. But please check it and let us know.

Cant thank you enough..next time your in Connecticut (which im sure has never happened) drinks are on me  :cheers:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
I guess ill call it the black and red plague....??
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2013, 05:29:46 am »
If I were you I'd paint the bezel of the monitor black. You can either take it apart an then put it back together (my preferred choice) or just mask off the front and carefully paint it. Then I would order a custom plexi from Tapp plastics (tinted Solar Grey, 1/8" thick).  Then you won't even need to create a bezel and the tinted black plexi will match the theme of the cab. It will look sick.

You can grab it here for under $30 shipped:
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_transparent_colors/519

To give you an idea of how it would look, I've used this method on my latest cab:

D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:33:55 am by DeLuSioNal29 »

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: I might as well toss my cab in here..project uhm IDK yet
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 06:29:41 am »
Wow, more CT people! :)   I'll keep an eye on this one as well!
Hey man what's going on Derby here!

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:59 am »
If I were you I'd paint the bezel of the monitor black. You can either take it apart an then put it back together (my preferred choice) or just mask off the front and carefully paint it. Then I would order a custom plexi from Tapp plastics (tinted Solar Grey, 1/8" thick).  Then you won't even need to create a bezel and the tinted black plexi will match the theme of the cab. It will look sick.

You can grab it here for under $30 shipped:
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_transparent_colors/519

To give you an idea of how it would look, I've used this method on my latest cab:

D

That looks awesome I already grabbed a big sheet of very thick poster board and wanted to see how it came out. The issue for me is that the plexi glass is not flush with monitor and I have to get creative with angles and what not. If I cant figure it out ill drop the $30.

maffewl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2020, 03:11:44 pm
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:39 am »
If I were you I'd paint the bezel of the monitor black.

You can grab it here for under $30 shipped

I agree with DeLuSioNal29 about painting the bezel black (on the back side) of the glass.  D29 mentions buying from Tapp plastics which I know alot of people on here do, but I would also throw out there that if you have a local glass shop, you could give them your dimensions and get smoked tempered glass for about $20 more which I think looks quite a bit better and supports local businesses.  Just throwing another idea out there.  Looks great so far!

(Edit:  just noticed your comment about the poster board and tilted monitor.  I would still suggest smoked tempered glass and you could still "case" out the bezel however you wanted, best of luck!)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:06:31 am by maffewl »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
I guess ill call it the black and red plague....??
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 12:46:10 pm »
I agree with DeLuSioNal29 about painting the bezel black (on the back side) of the glass.
What I meant was painting the actual edges (bezel) of the monitor itself, not the plexi/glass.  With the smoked plexi installed, you won't even see the edges of the monitor. Problem solved.

D

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: I guess ill call it the black and red plague....??
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:16 pm »
I agree with DeLuSioNal29 about painting the bezel black (on the back side) of the glass.
What I meant was painting the actual edges (bezel) of the monitor itself, not the plexi/glass.  With the smoked plexi installed, you won't even see the edges of the monitor. Problem solved.

D
Ahhhh okay good idea I might try that

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 10:46:50 am »
Got a bezel in granted its not quite the right way to do it but it works for me. Ive either got to paint the exposed white portion on the monitor (tried taking apart the case on the monitor to paint it without spending a ton of time taping off the glass but it was a PITA), use double sided tape to hold down the bezel. We ended up just kinda folding the board to get it in the front of the monitor...kinda half assed but not really.

Also ran two NES controllers to use instead of the Tankstick..and I love forcing our 10 year to use them lol

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:13 pm »
Nice to see it all up and running. Nice going on the Nes controllers.  I use Xbox 360 Controllers for console games and they don't feel half as good as an original nes pad

willybeamish

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: I guess ill call it the black and red plague....??
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »
Nice to see it all up and running. Nice going on the Nes controllers.  I use Xbox 360 Controllers for console games and they don't feel half as good as an original nes pad

Yeah its kinda awkward but the nostalgia is in full effect with those nes controllers. Couldn't have done it without your help.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »
No problem.  I should be putting mine all back together again at the weekend.  The Gloss black has cured so time for the clearcoat and artwork.  I'm half wishing I had just left it alone, put the side art/t-mold on and called it a day.  But as my mother said, "If a job's worth doing it's worth doing right".  Although ignoring that try using permanent black marker on the white bit of the monitor, it maybe easier then trying to paint and you got nothing to lose in giving it a go.