Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pinrepair website switches to pay site!  (Read 11892 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Pinrepair website switches to pay site!
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:04:28 pm »
Just discovered that the pinball repair website, pinrepair.com has switched to pay format. The indexes are still free, but if you click on any of the parts, you are directed to login/password now. No advance notice was posted.

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
Re: Pinrepair website switches to pay site!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »
Although this news is somewhat disheartening, it only costs $10 for a CD-ROM of the entire guide. Supposedly it is a charity fund raiser for the Pacific Pinball Museum. Is the place hurting that bad?

I know I have ALREADY got my 10 bucks worth of info from the site as have many others I'm sure.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 04:19:05 pm »
Sweet!  So they are selling other people's stuff?  Love it!

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:53 pm »
Feeling much better about printing the stuff that I have already printed from Clay's site.

Although, I don't mind paying for good info ... I paid Randy Fromm and it was worth it ... lack of warning and lack of info on Clay's site is disturbing.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:23:16 pm
  • ribbit...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:48 pm »
WOW.  Just, wow.

Although I could agree that the content contained within is worth $10, this puts a total damper on my late night reading on the iPad before heading to bed, as well as killing any way of bringing that content with me to the machine I'm fixing.  Getting it on CD would be great, but it'd mean having to run upstairs each time I wanted to find something new, or it'd mean printing out great gobs of info off the CD "just in case" I needed it.

I had just finished reading the Pinball Ninja blog right through from start to end, then it was taken offline.  Now this... so much for all those bookmarks I made to individual pages or blog entries with particularly useful tidbits of info.  All gone.   :cry:

Saddest part is that without this guide having been online in the first place, I wouldn't even have bothered to go down the road of buying my first pinball (a project machine I'm restoring).  Had I needed to buy this before I could even get started, I would've left the machine behind (where it would've gone straight to landfill).

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:11:37 pm »
I think they've shot themselves in the foot by doing this. Especially since you'd be forced to donate to that particular "museum".

bleargh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:23:16 pm
  • ribbit...
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:29 am »
I think they've shot themselves in the foot by doing this. Especially since you'd be forced to donate to that particular "museum".

Agreed.  Had they instead made the CDs available as well as having the content available online, I would have been more inclined to want to send my $10 along.

It makes Saint here look like a, uh, saint... two printings of his book, and BYOAC is still here and the content is still available.  I've purchased several items through Saint's Amazon click-through so that he gets something back for his efforts.  Were Clay and the museum to have done something similar I would've been happy to help them out.

Hate to say it, but it really does reinforce the (unfortunate) poor impression I have of "pin-heads".  From "the guy that buys everything that comes up for sale within 100km, then flips it w/o shopping it for double/triple what he paid for it", to the various clique-y pinball groups/clubs I've run across that won't even talk to you or let you come out and see what their meetings are like without first forking over the $30-40 annual fee.

* bleargh shakes fist in the air

StephenH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:12:42 am »
I figured something out.

Copy the Pinrepair URL into the wayback machine at http://www.archive.org and you can still access the free versions!

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:10:20 am »
The Wayback Machine is awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman strike again!

:applaud:

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:29:00 am »
All of the "index" pages still state, "updates are available online at no charge".

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

I read somewhere that his truck needs $7500 in repairs, on top of the Tilttown brouhaha.  Thing is, in most other online hobby communities people often willingly help a guy out (Like Ken's internet for example!). There is no need to be a dick and just shut out your followers/supporters like that, then holding info ransom. Why support a guy like that? Why support actions like that?
NO MORE!!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:37:47 pm »
Google's cache still has most of the guides (for now anyway).

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:01:40 pm »

I've been keeping a local mirror for years.  I update it periodically with a site downloader.  That guide has gone away in the past when the moon is full and this won't be the last time.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:53 pm »

I've been keeping a local mirror for years.  I update it periodically with a site downloader.  That guide has gone away in the past when the moon is full and this won't be the last time.

Link or STFU

LOCAL mirror, dumbass.  It's on my LAN.  Try a tool like HTtrack to create your own.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »

Why on earth would I make it available to you when you ask like that?  It's an internal apache server for my LAN.  It's not externally visible.

PPM refunded my $11.  Odd.

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 02:51:47 pm »
I think they're refunding donations because contributors to pinrepair.com revoked their permissions.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:53 am »
The Electromechanical Pinball Repair Guide is back:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Here is an alternate pinball repair site:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:43:04 am by Ken Layton »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 10:49:34 am »
So much drama in the pinball world... I just don't get it  :dizzy:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 10:53:44 am »
So much drama in the pinball world... I just don't get it  :dizzy:

Pinball is coincedentally attractive to people with lower than average social skills.  That is probably both a curse and a blessing.  Many of those same guys become so obsessive about it that they are the backbone of the continued existence of pinball.  Clay may be a prime example of a guy who has substantial social issues but has also made very high level contributions to the entire hobby.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:42 am »
Well, you consider that probably 99% of all games played are single player... and that the machines generally sat in a back corner of bars... you're going to attract loners with money.  They don't play well with others.

And there is a large attraction to high functioning autistic men.  Complex rulesets, flashing lights, random sounds, narrow objectives.  Probably substantial overlap in all of the aforementioned factors which leads to a volatile collector community.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 03:56:52 pm »
And there is a large attraction to high functioning autistic men.  Complex rulesets, flashing lights, random sounds, narrow objectives.  Probably substantial overlap in all of the aforementioned factors which leads to a volatile collector community.

Are you basing this whole supposition on the documentary about the autistic kid from Seattle?

I've only been to two shows, Allentown and York (White Rose) but the people were great. There are a-holes in every hobby. My experience is that pinball actually has a lower than average number of miscreants.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 04:16:05 pm »
Are you basing this whole supposition on the documentary about the autistic kid from Seattle?

I'm basing it on nearly a decade in the hobby.  I've gotten to know a lot of pinball collectors IRL and many many more online.  I've been observing RGP and other pinball forums in the same period.  My opinion has nothing to do with anything I saw on TV and everything I have experienced both in person and online with dozens of other collectors.

It's rare that pinballjim and I are in total agreement on anything.  I'm not saying these are bad guys.  This hobby is, though, the only place I have ever encountered so many of them.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »
what i will never for the life of me understand
why do we post :pay-for-link's: ?
suck it up ppl
who built these thing's ?
 and who in the hell are u loyal to ?
a company that went bankrupt ?
 or a group of ppl who just love the dran game ?
fiq it out!!!
ken thk-u for the link's but no thank-u

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 04:44:13 pm »
Damn, dude, I'm pretty offensive but even I don't call autistic people "a-holes" or "miscreants."

Not what I meant at all. The only autistic person I've ever heard anything about in any element of the arcade hobby was that kid (Rob Gagno) in the documentary I referenced. Just referring to the number of bad people in the pinball hobby, and I find it equal or lower than every other hobby.

I can kind of see how you'd have a hard time dealing with anyone, so I don't expect to hear good experiences from you. You are possibly one of the miscreants.  ;)  :cheers:

Link to story I'm talking about. Its pretty cool:
http://www.seattleweekly.com/2010-12-08/news/robert-gagno-the-rain-man-of-pinball/

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »
We've all seen that show.  That guy is probably not high functioning.  I was clinically specific.  You're either going to have to read up on the autism spectrum or just believe us on this one.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »
We've all seen that show.  That guy is probably not high functioning.  I was clinically specific.  You're either going to have to read up on the autism spectrum or just believe us on this one.

Or neither.

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:46 am »
There are definitely a lot of odd individuals in the pinball and arcade hobby. It's disproportionately high, in fact. Ever since I started doing shipping for pinball/arcade machines, I've seen firsthand how crazy people can get. You tell them that they'll be contacted by someone to finalize billing and set up their pickup/delivery dates, and they'll start emailing you within 20 minutes that they haven't heard from anybody. Then they'll start emailing every 10 minutes after that wondering why they haven't been called. You try to tell them that it can take a couple of hours because they have a queue to get through with scheduling, but you'll still have them on your back nonstop.

I still love the people in the hobby though. Their eccentric natures make it interesting. Even when they're blasting me with panicked emails, I still have fun interacting with them. Sure, there's always the "WELL IF I DON'T HEAR FROM SOMEONE IN THE NEXT HOUR I WILL GO ELSEWHERE!" few, but the vast majority of guys I have dealt with in pinball have been really nice guys.

I try not to be weird, but who knows how weird others see me as being...
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 11:48:48 am »
I think you just tend to notice it because you're involved... I've been in and out of a bunch of other hobbies, and their are weird/eccentric people in all of them. Go to anything involving radio controlled planes and you will see just as many screwballs as you see at an arcade show.  I also think what tends to happen is that you notice the weird behavior and that is what sticks with you.

Wouldn't you expect someone shipping an expensive, heavy and fragile pinball machine is going to be more concerned about it than someone shipping standard stuff? You example seems like excessive behavior, though.

Maybe I've just been really lucky. I've been in the hobby for a little under 10 years and I haven't dealt with a genuine screwball yet. Deals here, KLOV, and the video and pinball newsgroups. Jim says the pin newsgroups are terrible, I've had like 10 good deals there and no personal run-ins. Yea, I've seen the crazy arguments there, but its an unmoderated newsgroup. There are a couple of people that I'd consider just as wacky here.  ;)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 12:11:49 pm »

There is nothing fragile about a packed up pinball machine.  People act like they are made of crystal but it's a plywood box with parts screwed into another piece of plywood.  Pack it up properly and we're talking standard cargo.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »

There is nothing fragile about a packed up pinball machine.  People act like they are made of crystal but it's a plywood box with parts screwed into another piece of plywood.  Pack it up properly and we're talking standard cargo.

Excellent info, given your proven expertise in material loading/handling.  :dizzy:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 03:07:56 pm »

Don't pay more than a couple hundred bucks for a dead classic SS.  You'd be surprised how many of them have bad MPUs and displays. 

How true that is!

I've seen many that not only have corroded CPU boards (due to leaky batteries), but whole game wiring harnesses with corroded connector pins, burnt coils due to overfusing, and bum power supplies due to the owner attempting to fix it himself.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 03:27:49 pm »
that whole thing well very very true olny touch's the top of the problem

plastic's/kicker's/proper lube/over fuseing god oh yes
---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- sleve's/i can go on
black tape on coil wire's and or eos-switch's
man do not get me going
35 year's ltr i have thought i had seen it all
went on a call
were a local >repair< guy put in a bridge rect..in a gottileb to change the coil from a/c to d/c..i had to go wtf,or how about wd40 as a lube ??

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 04:44:10 pm »
OK, I maybe should have qualified my RGP deals as buyer only. I haven't sold parts/machines and I definitely wouldn't ship a pin.
I have seen guys complain about some pretty minor stuff on purchased items.

The flakey buyer thing seems to be a growing trend everywhere. Constantly reading about guys getting dicked over on ebay and particularly craigslist deals.

I did have one RGP experience that could have gone bad... I bought an MPU listed as working and when I received it, not only was it apparent it wasn't working, it was obvious that it hadn't worked in years. All corroded, badly bent over transistors and missing parts.
I contacted the dude preparing for the worst and he just refunded my money and kept the board, saying he was getting out of the hobby. It still screwed me up because it delayed getting the machine working by at least a month.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 02:52:44 am »

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:42 pm »
ya great site
>http://www.pinrepair.com<
u get just about everything u need rom's/repair advice/pic's of the game's
so if u need to overhaul a cab,u can get ref material

ed

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 01:25:13 pm »
Is Clay just releasing the content every month or so?   It was a pretty dick move to lock em up... and I don't give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- who's feathers I ruffle with that comment.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »
I wish Clay would have done repair videos without all the joking around. Humor is fine, but they got a bit too silly and the washed up strippers were tacky.

Rob and Steve (Silverball Podcast/Life After Death videos) could make some great repair guides, but they're more interested in being entertainers than educators. There's a real lack of great how to videos available on DVD.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »

The best was when I ordered his TZ repair video.  He had a clean version and an adult version.  I wanted to watch it with my (then 9 year old) son so I got the clean version.  He sent me the adult version.  I emailed him asking if he could send the clean version and he said "nobody has ever ordered that".  When I told him I had in fact ordered that he said "oh, well, you must be nobody" and that was that.

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »
I also ordered the clean version. Was surprised it wasn't so clean when I was watching it on my laptop.