Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovy Linux + ArcadeVGA adapter  (Read 6038 times)

cvpeck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2011, 05:04:18 am
Groovy Linux + ArcadeVGA adapter
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:47:08 pm »
Hello all,

newbie here, so please be gentle.

I'm a seasoned Linux administrator but new to Mame under Linux. I've just converted my arcade cabinet that was running Windows into a Linux one running GroovyArcade.

Just a quick question, I have an ArcadeVGA adapter and am using that to drive the original CRT display. Can anyone give me any advice as to how I should set this up under GroovyArcade? I've tried several combinations of settings but have had no luck so far.

Currently I've managed to get it to a state of no output at all, so advice on resetting it from the console (I have ssh access) would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
Re: Groovy Linux + ArcadeVGA adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:28:57 am »
Hello all,

newbie here, so please be gentle.

I'm a seasoned Linux administrator but new to Mame under Linux. I've just converted my arcade cabinet that was running Windows into a Linux one running GroovyArcade.

Just a quick question, I have an ArcadeVGA adapter and am using that to drive the original CRT display. Can anyone give me any advice as to how I should set this up under GroovyArcade? I've tried several combinations of settings but have had no luck so far.

Currently I've managed to get it to a state of no output at all, so advice on resetting it from the console (I have ssh access) would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris.

It might be best to reboot with the ISO and start from scratch, to ssh into the box (if you've setup networking) basically user: 'arcade' pass: 'arcade' then can run gasetup from there actually with sudo (sudo gasetup).  Then try to backtrack, but main issue sounds like you've went through I'm guessing the monitor setup and picked possibly the wrong monitor type?  Is your CRT a normal computer monitor or arcade monitor, and if arcade monitor which type.  For normal CRT choose SVGA or VGA in the Video Setup menu for Monitor type.  Otherwise if generic CGA monitor you'll want one of those options (there are 3 ranges in there, CGA/Generic/H9110), and there's a few other monitor types.  Sounds like focusing on the Monitor Type setup is the main issue, and from there you probably know everything else needed, it is the tricky part but hopefully just a few simple menu setup options can fix that.    

Also which ArcadeVGA adapter version is it, 3000 or older?  I use a 3000 here, and others have used the 92xx ones, if it's one of the other models might prove interesting, since I have wondered if every one is working yet inbetween those two models (or older 7000 ones).  Possibly check/post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf too, will show if setup made an error there or what was done, and possibly the /var/logs/ directory too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:18:43 am by bitbytebit »
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

cvpeck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2011, 05:04:18 am
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:25:53 pm »
Thanks for that. Using the gasetup allowed me to set the resolution to something usable.

I'm directly driving a CRT display in an original arcade cabinet using an ArcadeVGA card that is about 7 years old.

One of the problems I am having now is that the display loses sync when attempting to play some of the newer MAME games. Any idea how I debug what is going on?

Cheers,

Chris.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »
Thanks for that. Using the gasetup allowed me to set the resolution to something usable.

I'm directly driving a CRT display in an original arcade cabinet using an ArcadeVGA card that is about 7 years old.

One of the problems I am having now is that the display loses sync when attempting to play some of the newer MAME games. Any idea how I debug what is going on?

Cheers,

Chris.
Which games do this, possibly the output of groovymame with the -verbose and -md 4 command line options might be helpful.  I am guessing that the newer games are requiring more vertical lines and your arcade monitor isn't able to handle that.  There might be a line height limit, like 240 or 256 or something like that.  Do you see a trend in the line height that causes issues?  Check out the thread in the GroovyMame thread in the Software forum and try some of those techniques with the special -monitor_specs command line that has limited numbers of vertical lines.  It is 288 for a cga monitor by default, and possibly you'll need that number lower to what you see works, and avoid what doesn't. 
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization