Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMame for arcade monitors version 0.146u4_013f  (Read 196217 times)

bitbytebit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
GroovyMame for arcade monitors version 0.146u4_013f
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:15:47 am »
Figured I'd break out of the CabMame thread where this has been talked about and have a separate one for GroovyMame specifically, with the announcement of 0143 patches which should be ready now.  Explanation of what GroovyMame is below and how in both Windows and Linux with an ATI card you can use it to do what Advance mame did, plus cabmame and possibly other features too...

GroovyMame for Arcade Monitors, with custom modeline generation and switching...

- Version 0.146u4 of MAME has been patched to use Groovymame/Cabmame patches.

Get it from GroovyArcade's site

- GroovyMAME features:

* Generate custom modelines and use them as game calls for them
* In Windows with ATI cards we can alter the refresh rate of existing modelines for game requirements
* Resolution change capability with modeline switching in Windows and Linux, PSX games and others
* Multithreaded mode and waitvsync work together in Windows without throttle
* MKChamp hi score patch compatible/ Works with Linux too (hiscore.dat goes in the \hi\ directory)
* Froger/Galaxian resolution fixes for Windows and Linux (so they look normal for arcade resolutions)
* Sound sync for Windows (not in Linux) triplebuffer, capable of being turned off (default)
* Clean stretch both Windows and Linux
* Redraw frames so 30Hz games run at 60Hz like Tron in Windows and Linux
* Most settings and features are automatically set as needed depending on the resolution used,
  like if throttling is necessary, or can use vsync instead, or fall back to triplebuffer.
* In Windows can use ArcadeVGA 3000 cards or others without any .ini files, picks best resolution automatically

Notes:
 Always start with a fresh mame.ini file generated from groovymame, the defaults are
 the best for modeline generation and different from normal mame or cabmame or any other
 mame.

ATI cards, mostly 9200/9250 and HD2xxx and above cards should be used.  In Linux
 anything besides the X8xx series should work and in Windows your limited only by
 ATI cards that work with Soft15khz (Since we use the same registry custom modelines).

In Linux possibly other cards work, it just depends on if xrandr can setup custom
 modelines and the card can handle vsync interrupts properly.  Any testing results of
 stray cards are welcome, reports are helpful in getting more cards working in the future.

Calamity has custom ATI drivers, 32 and 64 bit, which contain preset custom modelines to
 work best with groovymame.  That way you don't need Soft15khz unless you want to add more
 custom modelines, his drivers have the ability to store close to 120 modelines and that
 is the limit (normally only 60 on regular catalyst drivers).

CRT_Emudriver's download site (in Spanish. ftp courtesy of Abubu)
Download mirror (courtesy of Krick)

#
# CORE SWITCHRES OPTIONS
#
-modeline            generate modelines for arcade monitors (only ATI Radeon support in Windows)
-monitor             monitor type (cga|generic|h9110|vga|d9200|d9800|m2929|ntsc|pal)
-monitor_connector   Linux video card output (VGA-0|VGA-1|DVI-0|DVI-1)
-monitor_orientation monitor orientation (horizontal|vertical|rotate)
-monitor_aspect      monitor aspect (4:3|3:3|3:4|16:9)
-monitor_debug       monitor debugging
-monitor_doublescan  Use doublescan if necessary, not available in Windows
-monitor_dotclock    Lowest dotclock videocard accepts, 0 is the default
-monitor_ymin        Minimum height to calculate, default is no minimum
-soundsync           soundsync to adjust audio freq when using triplebuffer
-cleanstretch        cleanstretch integer only scaling
-changeres           change resolutions (work in progress)
-redraw              multiply amount to draw game screen, make 30HZ games run at 60HZ when set to 2
-monitor_specs0      Add custom monitor specs, format: 15250.00-15700.00,49.50-65.00,2.000,4.700,8.000,0.064,0.192,1.024,0,0,288.0,448
-monitor_specs1      Add custom monitor specs
-monitor_specs2      Add custom monitor specs
-monitor_specs3      Add custom monitor specs
-monitor_specs4      Add custom monitor specs
-monitor_specs5      Add custom monitor specs
-monitor_specs6      Add custom monitor specs
-monitor_specs7      Add custom monitor specs

Compiling notes

Apply patches in this order:

1) 0146u1.diff -> 0146u2.diff -> 0146u3.diff -> 0146u4.diff (http://mamedev.org/updates/)
2) hi_146.txt (http://mamestuff.lowtrucks.net/MKChamp/)
3) 0146u4_groovymame_013f.diff (GroovyArcade's site)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:39:13 am by Calamity »
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

zmartin34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2011, 09:22:42 pm
Re: GroovyMame for arcade monitors version 0142.012
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:01:51 pm »
This sounds very cool!! I am (finally) updating my from cabmame .136 to .142 I used cabmame in the past for the audio sync hack. Will groovy do the same thing?

I have so many questions so I'll just start with this one:

Which dist (cab or groovy) is better for someone like me running an ATI Arcade VGA w/ a D9200??

Thanks!!

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:24:21 pm »
This sounds very cool!! I am (finally) updating my from cabmame .136 to .142 I used cabmame in the past for the audio sync hack. Will groovy do the same thing?

I have so many questions so I'll just start with this one:

Which dist (cab or groovy) is better for someone like me running an ATI Arcade VGA w/ a D9200??

Thanks!!

It will do the soundsync hack, you have to turn it on since it's off by default, being aimed normally by default at getting the vertical refresh rate correct so then it  isn't needed.

Which model of ArcadeVGA is it?  With a d9200 and the older ArcadeVGA cards I do think it's good, since those cards will allow (I *think*) the normal ATI drivers Calamity has and the custom modelines.  Now newer ArcadeVGA 3000 cards are unfortunately unable to play custom modelines in the registry, and are locked at the 30 or so resolutions they have in the video bios.

Basically this has the same ability cabmame, but has the modeline setup built in of Soft15khz, and ability to then go and completely setup different refresh rates of those modelines on the fly when loading a game.  The drivers are able to hold more modelines, but essentially doing the same thing as Soft15khz registry modelines yet able to go to 120 or so instead of the normal limit, and contain custom modelines already to use.  The options are tuned to trying to get vsync/refresh exactly to the games original settings, and so triplebuffer and soundsync usually aren't necessary but if needed then it'll set them for the game, when it can't match the original refresh rate.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:07:01 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

kevinp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 01:40:09 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:20 pm »
This works AWESOME guys.. Thanks to Groovymame and Calamity's drivers I've totally gotten back into this hobby.  This is after years of frustration with Soft15 and cabmame alone.  The other cool benefit I've found personally is that I rarely have to adjust monitor settings manually between games anymore, it just works.  No more living with the tearing vs sound clipping/slowdown compromises.

Fricken awesome, just like Advancemame was.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:44:37 am »
Newest Windows builds now have the ability to utilize the ArcadeVGA3000 and basically avoid needing any .ini files, also probably give you better results than the .ini files did.  Might need to make a fresh mame.ini first, and possibly turn on soundsync too. 

Also if you have other cards with modelines that are custom setup, with Soft15khz or any other method, should also be similar in performance now too.  Now groovymame basically can see all the system resolutions, or active ones to Windows, and only difference from the ATI Radeon custom modelines is you are going to be using tripplebuffer instead of vsync (which probably is the case anyways else the games with the normal static modelines wouldn't match the refresh rates in most cases).
--
The Groovy Organization

clutch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2014, 02:26:56 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:25:30 am »
Kaspersky flagged the 32 bit version as containing a trojan.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:33:19 am »
Kaspersky flagged the 32 bit version as containing a trojan.

Odd, I highly doubt it's correct, probably one of those false positives I would guess.  Might want to send it in to them and see what they say, might be a bug on their end I would guess.  I'm uploading 012l builds here in a few minutes, might want to double check them. I'm fresh compiling/uploading them and not a system that is at all used for internet use, so I'm pretty sure they are not infected with anything.  Maybe it's the name having 'groovy' in it or some other oddity it's connecting with common virus traits, is Kaspersky set to try and use AI to find new unknown viruses?  Since this works with the registry, doing the modeline setup, maybe that's part of what it thinks is dangerous.

Also could always checkout through git or apply the .diff patches instead, see if it reports anything different with that when compiled locally, although I suspect it'll be the exact same binary either way.

Here's a link on reporting a false positive to them: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=13881

I'm downloading the free system checker program from them to double check.  Do you have the exact label it named the trojan? If it's the Generic one, and there's some setting on for Heuristics I'm guessing, then that makes sense because it's probably just thinking since the registry is accessed things might be acting similar to how trojans access the registry.  It looks like priority is given to paying customers, even if something like this where they are reporting a false positive to a persons program, so guessing that they'll listen to you reporting it much quicker than me (and possibly the software has some interface to upload it as a false positive it seems).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:48:01 am by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

clutch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2014, 02:26:56 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:52:37 am »
No worries.  Here is what I got:
4/15/2011 9:24:00 AM   Malicious HTTP object <http://mame.groovy.org/0142/groovymame32_0142.012k.exe.7z//groovymame32_0142.012k.exe>: detected: virus 'HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic' (modification).

I was just gonna download it and install when I got home.  Now I hope work doesn't yell at me for downloading mame stuff at work.  :lol

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:56:54 am »
No worries.  Here is what I got:
4/15/2011 9:24:00 AM   Malicious HTTP object <http://mame.groovy.org/0142/groovymame32_0142.012k.exe.7z//groovymame32_0142.012k.exe>: detected: virus 'HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic' (modification).

I was just gonna download it and install when I got home.  Now I hope work doesn't yell at me for downloading mame stuff at work.  :lol

Ah yeah, ok, this page explains it: http://malwarecrawler.com/?p=13  Which is basically what I thought, it's guessing at it and probably just the fact it accesses the registry so much, so they heuristic engine is just saying it has the characteristics of a virus.  Best to send that into Kaspersky if possible, I'm checking around to see if  I can too, so they can fix it. 
--
The Groovy Organization

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 04:23:50 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:13 pm »
installed it and made a fresh INI. I know that the custom modeline works because my d9800 hundred syncs UMK3 at 56 hx instead on my arcade vga's normal 52.3. however the sides are pinched in in every game and my d9800 is at the maximum for width. any ideas?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 01:27:48 pm »
installed it and made a fresh INI. I know that the custom modeline works because my d9800 hundred syncs UMK3 at 56 hx instead on my arcade vga's normal 52.3. however the sides are pinched in in every game and my d9800 is at the maximum for width. any ideas?

Have you set the monitor setting to d9800 in the mame.ini?  If not then that is most likely the issue.
--
The Groovy Organization

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:32:40 pm »
yes I have.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »
yes I have.
Try to reset the monitor settings in the OSD to the defaults and see if that helps.  I have a d9800 so with mine I don't have to set anything in the OSD at all, by default it all fits correctly.  So definitely should technically work, possibly post a log of output with the '-verbose -md 4' as options to groovymame.  Also are you using one of the patched/custom drivers for the ATI card?  Those have enough modelines to make sure every game can fit correctly.  The log output should help me see more though and know if it's the resolution of the modeline being picked or sopmething else.
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »
You also need to create the mode list for your D9800 selecting it in VMMaker.ini and running VMMaker and restarting, because the default modelines installed are for standard arcade monitors only.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:12 pm »
I am not using the custom drivers. Do I need them with the arcade VGA 3000?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:26 pm »
I am not using the custom drivers. Do I need them with the arcade VGA 3000?

Nope, then possibly the output log would be interesting to see.  Also try the newest 012m version of groovymame too since I did fix a bug there and could be an issue.  I can look at the logs of 012m if the problem still exists, and see what I can find. 

Are all games the same, or some ok and some having space at the sides?  With the ArcadeVGA card one drawback is you only have 30 modelines to choose from and so a lot of games are going to not be able to fit perfectly, it's definitely not the card to best utilize the d9800 since there's so many more resolutions a d9800 can do.  In a sense you might just do best by using cga mode actually as the monitor type, since that's really going to be the only resolutions anyways a AVGA3000 has available to output, they are all 15khz targeted for the most part basically.
--
The Groovy Organization

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 08:26:07 pm »
Tried the newest version and everything works great!

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 08:36:38 pm »
Tried the newest version and everything works great!
Ah cool, it was the bug after all :) great, thanks for reporting everything.
--
The Groovy Organization

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 12:41:40 am »

With the ArcadeVGA card one drawback is you only have 30 modelines to choose from and so a lot of games are going to not be able to fit perfectly, it's definitely not the card to best utilize the d9800 since there's so many more resolutions a d9800 can do.  In a sense you might just do best by using cga mode actually as the monitor type, since that's really going to be the only resolutions anyways a AVGA3000 has available to output, they are all 15khz targeted for the most part basically.

I don't think that's correct.  The ArcadeVGA comes with a "tri-sync" utility that enables the higher resolutions on monitors that support them like the d9800.  From the Ultimarc ArcadeVGA install page...

http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainst.html
After you reboot, the TriSync config utility will start. Select your correct monitor type.
This configures the card to permit the 640x480 and above resolutions to be displayed non-interlaced at 31Khz scan or above. This results in better picture quality for these resolutions but you can only do this if your monitor can display 31Khz scan or above. If its a standard-res arcade monitor it will not.

The top selection leaves the configuration unchanged. You can run this utility later if you upgrade to a multi-frequency monitor. To revert back from multi-frequency to standard res, you can simply re-install the drivers.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 12:56:05 am »

With the ArcadeVGA card one drawback is you only have 30 modelines to choose from and so a lot of games are going to not be able to fit perfectly, it's definitely not the card to best utilize the d9800 since there's so many more resolutions a d9800 can do.  In a sense you might just do best by using cga mode actually as the monitor type, since that's really going to be the only resolutions anyways a AVGA3000 has available to output, they are all 15khz targeted for the most part basically.

I don't think that's correct.  The ArcadeVGA comes with a "tri-sync" utility that enables the higher resolutions on monitors that support them like the d9800.  From the Ultimarc ArcadeVGA install page...

http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainst.html
After you reboot, the TriSync config utility will start. Select your correct monitor type.
This configures the card to permit the 640x480 and above resolutions to be displayed non-interlaced at 31Khz scan or above. This results in better picture quality for these resolutions but you can only do this if your monitor can display 31Khz scan or above. If its a standard-res arcade monitor it will not.

The top selection leaves the configuration unchanged. You can run this utility later if you upgrade to a multi-frequency monitor. To revert back from multi-frequency to standard res, you can simply re-install the drivers.

It's good, I just mean that there's basically a limitless amount of possibilities with a d9800 and Linux, a very expansive amount of possibilities with a d9800 and Windows + 120 modelines using reconfigurable refresh rates, and a more limited amount of possibilities with a d9800 and 30 modelines.  Basically the trisync utility gives you a few 24khz and a few 31khz resolutions, and 800x600 38khz resolution.  So that is great, and works wonderfully, I'm just meaning that there are the extra lines in height, pixels in width that can be trimmed off and the refresh rates can be matched exactly for every game.  I guess with this issue I get pretty technical, on a very core level of looking at really what is possible, and admit that I might be splitting hairs but for me it's really looking at the specs of height x width @ refresh rate capabilities.  There is really nothing that can beat the AVGA 3000 in Windows with general arcade monitors and ease of use through multiple operating systems.  There's just a big open space with a d9800 that you can really have any resolution between 15-38khz (even between 15-24 or 24-31 or 31-38, not fixed on those exact frequencies), there is a big open range of freedom I have seen with the d9800 that is quite amazing, and really not even obtainable with the windows patched ATI drivers even though they are quite a step above the AVGA 3000 at having only 30 or so resolutions compared to 120.
--
The Groovy Organization

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 01:12:11 am »

It's good, I just mean that there's basically a limitless amount of possibilities with a d9800 and Linux, a very expansive amount of possibilities with a d9800 and Windows + 120 modelines using reconfigurable refresh rates, and a more limited amount of possibilities with a d9800 and 30 modelines.  Basically the trisync utility gives you a few 24khz and a few 31khz resolutions, and 800x600 38khz resolution.  So that is great, and works wonderfully, I'm just meaning that there are the extra lines in height, pixels in width that can be trimmed off and the refresh rates can be matched exactly for every game.  I guess with this issue I get pretty technical, on a very core level of looking at really what is possible, and admit that I might be splitting hairs but for me it's really looking at the specs of height x width @ refresh rate capabilities.  There is really nothing that can beat the AVGA 3000 in Windows with general arcade monitors and ease of use through multiple operating systems.  There's just a big open space with a d9800 that you can really have any resolution between 15-38khz (even between 15-24 or 24-31 or 31-38, not fixed on those exact frequencies), there is a big open range of freedom I have seen with the d9800 that is quite amazing, and really not even obtainable with the windows patched ATI drivers even though they are quite a step above the AVGA 3000 at having only 30 or so resolutions compared to 120.

Gotcha.  I didn't know that the ArcadeVGA tri-sync resolutions were still limited.  It's a shame that my cabinet is a funky narrow job that just barely fits my 25" monitor or I'd try to get my hands on a d9800.  The inside width of my cabinet is exactly 24 inches, I think.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 03:35:15 am »
I'm running the latest groovymame64_0142.012n.exe on my ArcadeVGA 3000 on a 15KHz arcade monitor.

I was trying random games tonight and I noticed that Sinistar was running at 640x480 interlaced.  Is this normal?

Here's the stats from MAWS...
display type    raster
orientation    vertical
resolution    240x292
frequency    60.096154Hz

If 640x480 is the best/closest resolution that the ArcadeVGA can do, that's fine.  I just wanted to see if it was a bug or something.  I think that's the only game that uses that funky resolution anyway (240x292) and it's almost impossible to play without the original rubber-band loaded joystick.

Doing a little googling, I found this thread...

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=48388&PHPSESSID=5ede15166544f3209dd336d000f9e069

He's talking about running MAME 129u3 on linux using an ArcadeVGA2, so some of it may not be valid anymore.

However, in the first post, near the bottom, he says...

"Some games declare the wrong internal resolution or otherwise appear at the wrong size, especially those that resize themselves during gameplay. To get around this, you can call "xrandr" manually to set your resolution and use "-noswitchres" to keep it there:"

...and then he gives a list of "game-specific workarounds" for these problem games.  Note that Sinistar is in the list and his workaround forces it to 480x288x50.00, which doesn't appear to be one of the supported resolutions listed on the ArcadeVGA page.  However since he's running Linux, he's creating his own list of resolutions.

I'm going to play around with the games in his list tomorrow and see which, if any end up running "weird" resolutions on my current setup.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 07:38:56 am »
I'm running the latest groovymame64_0142.012n.exe on my ArcadeVGA 3000 on a 15KHz arcade monitor.

I was trying random games tonight and I noticed that Sinistar was running at 640x480 interlaced.  Is this normal?

Here's the stats from MAWS...
display type    raster
orientation    vertical
resolution    240x292
frequency    60.096154Hz

If 640x480 is the best/closest resolution that the ArcadeVGA can do, that's fine.  I just wanted to see if it was a bug or something.  I think that's the only game that uses that funky resolution anyway (240x292) and it's almost impossible to play without the original rubber-band loaded joystick.

Doing a little googling, I found this thread...

http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=48388&PHPSESSID=5ede15166544f3209dd336d000f9e069

He's talking about running MAME 129u3 on linux using an ArcadeVGA2, so some of it may not be valid anymore.

However, in the first post, near the bottom, he says...

"Some games declare the wrong internal resolution or otherwise appear at the wrong size, especially those that resize themselves during gameplay. To get around this, you can call "xrandr" manually to set your resolution and use "-noswitchres" to keep it there:"

...and then he gives a list of "game-specific workarounds" for these problem games.  Note that Sinistar is in the list and his workaround forces it to 480x288x50.00, which doesn't appear to be one of the supported resolutions listed on the ArcadeVGA page.  However since he's running Linux, he's creating his own list of resolutions.

I'm going to play around with the games in his list tomorrow and see which, if any end up running "weird" resolutions on my current setup.

Oh no that's abnormal, I play it and it gets the resolution correct here.  There's a couple possibilities, I'm hoping that the current ISO didn't get that same bug that was in the windows groovymame version there.  That bug could have done such a thing, but also it might be the monitor type selection your picking too.  

A couple things could be wrong, make sure the monitor type is setup right and the xorg configuration is getting correctly setup from that, and that groovymame is running with that monitor type correctly.  The main way to do this would be to get the output of groovymame with the -verbose -md 4 argument just like in Windows, possibly the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file too, maybe the mame.ini file also.  

That might point to if the bug is really happening, or it's the monitor setup.  Actually if your running a monitor able to do more than just 15khz and do 31khz too then it should be picking progressive for the desktop and never using interlacing.  So suspect it's the monitor selection that is wrong.  Which monitor type are you picking?

Update: Ah crap, I think that the groovymame in the ISO is tainted with that bug too, at least I don't trust it and it was version 012j which in Windows had the  issue.  I made a change around there in how it checks for .ini files and it was fouled up at first.  I'm rebuilding new ISO images and will have them up hopefully by later this evening, sorry about that.  Also the logs might still be interesting to prove it's really this, just in case it isn't and there's something else.  It does sound odd still that it's using interlaced at all there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:44:22 am by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 12:23:43 pm »
I got the 32 bit ISO uploaded, 1.560, see if it fixes the issue.  If not get some logs possibly, and let me know the video monitor settings too, which monitor are you choosing.  64bit ISO will be up probably by this evening.
--
The Groovy Organization

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »
I think I might have confused you.

I'm running Windows on a low-res 15KHz monitor with an ArcadeVGA 3000.

I was seeing what I suspected is odd behavior with Sinistar in the latest GroovyMAME build for Windows.

THEN...

I started doing a little searching and I discovered that post from that fellow who was running SDLMAME on Debian.

I see that he had to do some workarounds to account for games that mis-reported their resolutions or otherwise didn't end up with the correct final resolution.

Sinistar was one of the games in the list.  I thought it might be related.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »
I think I might have confused you.

I'm running Windows on a low-res 15KHz monitor with an ArcadeVGA 3000.

I was seeing what I suspected is odd behavior with Sinistar in the latest GroovyMAME build for Windows.

THEN...

I started doing a little searching and I discovered that post from that fellow who was running SDLMAME on Debian.

I see that he had to do some workarounds to account for games that mis-reported their resolutions or otherwise didn't end up with the correct final resolution.

Sinistar was one of the games in the list.  I thought it might be related.

Ah I see, yeah I got confused.  It might still be the version of groovymame in that ISO, would affect all monitor types with that.  It sounds like it isn't actually modeswitching, which does seem like a symptom of that bug in the Linux side of things.  It should be able to fit to that resolution quite easily at 15khz.
--
The Groovy Organization

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 08:56:45 pm »
I've attached the output log from running Sinistar.

groovymame64_0142.012n.exe
Windows XP x64
ArcadeVGA 3000
Hantarex Polo 25 - standard res 25-KHz arcade monitor
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »
I've attached the output log from running Sinistar.

groovymame64_0142.012n.exe
Windows XP x64
ArcadeVGA 3000
Hantarex Polo 25 - standard res 25-KHz arcade monitor

Ah ok, the issue is that it's a vertical game, and that 15khz monitor can't do the 296 scanlines it requires horizontally.  So it has to virtualize to get enough and must do 640x480 interlaced to go above the 288 line limit.  Plus the arcadeVGA doesn't have any better modelines for it either that aren't interlaced, it's picking the best one for that setup.

Now the question is can you give a smaller resolution than the needed vertical and have it basically scale down, is that better than interlaced?  Calamity might know more about that, or you might from tests and previous usage with .ini files?  It's basically the age old vertical game on horizontal monitor, which happens to go above the 288 limit so it's probably one of the few games that would run into this issue.

Yeah I was really confused, hah, well have been busy and read this all over a small iphone while bowling, brain was on the groovy arcade linux and d9800 monitors :)  Ah well, the ISO probably had the same bug too so good to have updated it anyways.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:21:22 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 05:12:38 am »
Yes, you can use a progressive resolution of 400x288 and have your upper and lower borders chopped. It's a matter of taste, I prefer always having the whole picture in the screen even if it needs interlacing, and that was one of the premises of the modeline algorithm. However interlace looks horrible in some monitors and not so bad in others. You can try by using an ini for that game with 'resolution0 400x288' option.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 07:40:28 pm »
I'm using 141u3, but didn't know where else to post. I'm just trying groovymame out with an ATI X800 and drivers set 9.3 . I created an ini through GM. I'm getting weird default resolutions, for example, 320x250 for DK. Some custom resolution for Pole Position that is 15.1khz/61hz .
-Banned-

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 07:58:20 pm »
I'm using 141u3, but didn't know where else to post. I'm just trying groovymame out with an ATI X800 and drivers set 9.3 . I created an ini through GM. I'm getting weird default resolutions, for example, 320x250 for DK. Some custom resolution for Pole Position that is 15.1khz/61hz .
In 0142 I've reworked the method of picking the right resolution quite a bit.  It'll probably do much better in 0142 and using the newest drivers linked on the 0142 page.  I now see what page, the older versions, that have the dead links.  I'll change those when I get home, also I probably need to move the older versions to an archive directory since they are really behind in the ability of the newest developments.
--
The Groovy Organization

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 01:09:58 am »
In 0142 I've reworked the method of picking the right resolution quite a bit.  It'll probably do much better in 0142 and using the newest drivers linked on the 0142 page.

It doesn't seem to be working that way.

I'm using an X800, have installed the 6.5 drivers, GM142, created an ini from it, and in DK and Mspac run vertical on horizontal monitor, I'm getting some weird interlaced-like image, even though it appears to be running at 640x240. Not only that, but the left side of the image is cut, and re-appears on the right edge of the screen.

It seems to prefer 320x250 for 256x240 games.

With the 9.3 drivers, I was getting 320x250 on DK. I don't remember what it used for horizontal games; maybe the same.
-Banned-

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:12 am »
In 0142 I've reworked the method of picking the right resolution quite a bit.  It'll probably do much better in 0142 and using the newest drivers linked on the 0142 page.

It doesn't seem to be working that way.

I'm using an X800, have installed the 6.5 drivers, GM142, created an ini from it, and in DK and Mspac run vertical on horizontal monitor, I'm getting some weird interlaced-like image, even though it appears to be running at 640x240. Not only that, but the left side of the image is cut, and re-appears on the right edge of the screen.

With the 9.3 drivers, I was getting 320x250 on DK. I don't remember what it used for horizontal games; maybe the same.

Post a log of -verbose -md 4 as command line args to groovymame, that'll possibly help see what is going on.
--
The Groovy Organization

blagger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2012, 06:31:41 pm
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 02:56:24 am »
This is my first post on the forum.
Hello to all.

Thanks for providing groovymame. I can now play games on my cab without tearing and no stuttering sound.

But I have one problem: The highscores wont get saved. I put the newest highscore.dat in the mame folder. In mame.ini I set "disable highscore patch" to 0. But there aren't any files in the hi folder.

I am using MaLa as a frontend.

Does anyone else has this problem.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • -Banned-
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 03:09:27 am »
But I have one problem: The highscores wont get saved. I put the newest highscore.dat in the mame folder. In mame.ini I set "disable highscore patch" to 0. But there aren't any files in the hi folder.

You either have to make some, or copy over old files of your own.
-Banned-

blagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:03 am »
I thought, mame generates the hi-file when I run a game.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 03:31:11 am »

Are you using 6.5 for XP-64? Are you generating more than 120 modelines for that?
Definitely a log with -v -md 4 will tell us what's happening.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 10:53:55 am »
I thought, mame generates the hi-file when I run a game.

Make the hi directory in your home folder or folder you run mame from (or one pointed to from mame.ini) and put the hiscore.dat file in that directory.  It just has to be in the \hi\ directory now with the changes I've made.
--
The Groovy Organization

blagger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 03:00:10 pm »
Excellent. Problem solved.

Thank you

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 04:28:12 pm »
Please clarify your license, you can't link MAME against GPL code, and I've been told you're distributing your changes as GPL with no exception being made for MAME use.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:30:07 pm by Haze »