Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Affixing a translight to glass in areas other than the edges?  (Read 2291 times)

chiLLbiLLy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2015, 11:42:53 pm
In any other game, most likely this wouldn't be an issue, but for my Cyclone machine, the translight puffs out from the backglass just enough, so that it sits up really close to the Mystery Wheel.  As I like to play in complete darkness most of the time, you can't see the Mystery Wheel, because there's no light coming in from around the edges.

So...any ideas how I could get the translight to stay against the glass?  I thought about somehow trying to generate some static, but figured this was probably not a good element to introduce, no matter where it was on the machine (nor would it probably last).  Nor do I want to use any sort of glue, due to its likely permanence and possible unsightliness.

I'm probably missing something way more obvious, but the only thing I've come up with so far, is to use a little white sticky-tack stuff and a tiny polishing pad for a Dremel hand tool and then stick it to the center of the Mystery Wheel (tack to wheel and pad against translight, obviously), but the heat of the machine might kill the adhesive properties of the sticky-tack pretty quickly.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Affixing a translight to glass in areas other than the edges?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:25:19 am »

Try a very thin rigid plastic sheet sandwiching the translite to the front glass.

chiLLbiLLy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2015, 11:42:53 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:29:45 am »
That's actually a really good idea...thanks!

Now, would I be more likely to find a sheet of plastic like that at a Home Depot/Lowes or a Hobby Lobby/craft store?  I'm guessing craft or maybe even a fabric store... 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:11:11 am »
That's actually a really good idea...thanks!

Now, would I be more likely to find a sheet of plastic like that at a Home Depot/Lowes or a Hobby Lobby/craft store?  I'm guessing craft or maybe even a fabric store... 

I know HD/Lowe's carries it but not sure how thin it gets.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:51:31 am »
Yeah, where pray tell is someone going to get a "very thin rigid plastic sheet" the size of a translite?  HD/Lowes carry nothing of the sort.

I'd use a dot of rubber cement, myself.

They carry it down to maybe 1/4" or 1/8".  Thin enough that it would be easy to cut to size.