Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac 30th anniversary cab- FINISHED!!!!- Now with video!  (Read 30849 times)

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- CPO designed, cabinet primed.
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 11:57:37 am »
god, I think painting is the hardest part of this hobby by far! :banghead:

The CPO and side art look fanatastic!!!! :applaud: :applaud:
Mind sharing thoes vectors too?!? ;D pretty please!

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 04:56:26 pm »
god, I think painting is the hardest part of this hobby by far! :banghead:

The CPO and side art look fanatastic!!!! :applaud: :applaud:
Mind sharing thoes vectors too?!? ;D pretty please!

Yes, definitely... once I do my last "ready to print" check on them, I will get them all posted in the artwork section. Thanks!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »
No, Thank You!!!!!

mgb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 12:02:42 am »
I like the sideart.
They remind me alot of the pacman stickers from the early eighties.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 10:44:12 am »
I wonder if the sideart is a little angular for a pac cab... what about this alternate? Preferences?

Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Nephasth

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:45 am »
I like the second one.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:40 pm »
Cool. Keep in mind I'm not doing any other stenciling... just a 20x30" sticker/poster stuck on the Ms Pac blue paint, so I kind of like the extra color space in the 2nd one.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »
I agree with your angular comment... I prefer the second.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »
You've done a great job with the artwork. That's something I am not good at all. If I ever make a Pac themed bartop (which I just might) then I would love to use all the art you've done here. I know I'd be kind of "stealing" it but it just looks great. Oh yeah I prefer the second of the side art examples you posted earlier. Really looking forward to the finished article.  :applaud:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 02:37:40 pm »
You've done a great job with the artwork. That's something I am not good at all. If I ever make a Pac themed bartop (which I just might) then I would love to use all the art you've done here. I know I'd be kind of "stealing" it but it just looks great. Oh yeah I prefer the second of the side art examples you posted earlier. Really looking forward to the finished article.  :applaud:

Yeah, I think I will go with the more "rounded rectangle" type, that will probably be easier to apply, too. You're definitely welcome to any of the art, I am dragging my feet on it but I will try to get all the .ai files posted this week... after all, I just "stole" it from some Namco designer (and a few parts from other folks here on the boards) myself ! And it was a good subject matter to learn the software (Adobe Illustrator) on... clean lines, simple color palette.

As the cabinet goes, I am finished priming (finally) and ready to put some blue on this weekend. I think I am painting the front yellow, we will see how that goes. I would love to say the priming/sanding gave me a perfect finish, but I still see lots of blemishes... this one has been a big learning experience for me as far as bondo and paint!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »

Yeah, I think I will go with the more "rounded rectangle" type, that will probably be easier to apply, too. You're definitely welcome to any of the art, I am dragging my feet on it but I will try to get all the .ai files posted this week... after all, I just "stole" it from some Namco designer (and a few parts from other folks here on the boards) myself ! And it was a good subject matter to learn the software (Adobe Illustrator) on... clean lines, simple color palette.

As the cabinet goes, I am finished priming (finally) and ready to put some blue on this weekend. I think I am painting the front yellow, we will see how that goes. I would love to say the priming/sanding gave me a perfect finish, but I still see lots of blemishes... this one has been a big learning experience for me as far as bondo and paint!

I hate painting! I just dont have the patience for it. One thing I want to do with my current project is get away from painting as much as I can. Of course you can't avoid some areas like the small angles where side panels meet marquee etc. etc. which can be sprayed. But I want to try and use some adhesive vinyl instead of paint. for the back panels and door etc. You still need a flat surface as the vinyl is quite thin and will show imperfections, but if it's applied right it should give a great uniform finish. Well that's the idea anyway... perhaps applying it might be as frustrating as painting would have been.  :dizzy:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- painting painting painting...
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:44 pm »
First coat of blue went on today. Posted artwork here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112832.0. Now I just need to get it printed somewhere.

Bought a duplicate of the TV I de-cased for this project, just in case it dies on me. Added it to my "shelf of screens for future projects"... I have a problem.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »
Last (3rd) coat of blue goes on today. Takes forever to dry in the midwest humidity. Not entirely happy with how it is coming out, but looking forward to being able to move on to another color (yellow on the front)... and get closer to getting it inside and put together. Pic below.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
This is coming on nicely. And thank you for posting the art files. I've downloaded them for a future possible project.   :D

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:25 pm »
Not much to report, blue paint is done. Too hot to paint for a few days.

The "Multiple" in MAME has become too much of a temptation, and decided to add a spinner and a couple buttons to the plan. Time to re-do the CPO artwork!  ;D

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- change in controls plan, still painting...
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »
Got an order into Basement Arcade Grafix for the artwork, and just sent an order to Groovy Game Gear for a Turbo Twist spinner and a longer ball top shaft. New CPO preview below. Yes, I put the buttons on the left. I am strange I guess. Buttons and spinner are red, should have a slight yellow outline of them on the CP.

Still too freaking hot to paint!

Need to update my potential ROM list now that I have buttons and a spinner (still just a 4-way joy though).

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- still painting...
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »
Finally got some painting done today, first coat of yellow on the bottom front. When that is done will just need to do the flat black on the top front/misc hardware and a pink highlight around the coin door area (not using any kickplate art, due to the over/under door).

Also glued some small metal pieces as backing for a couple of carriage bolt holes I need to fill, now that the holes have a "bottom" I will fill them with glue or something (out of bondo) before I prime and apply the adhesive control panel overlay.

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:15 am »
I was just about to say "ohhh, those need to go in a frame" for the sideart as I was reading this thread but you did it already!

Great designs and theme! Who would of thought Mr + Mrs Pac-Man! :applaud:

Now, you need to design some kids! :P I'm sure he has had a whole lotta loving in those years!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »

Great designs and theme! Who would of thought Mr + Mrs Pac-Man! :applaud:

Thanks. I originally thought of the theme to make a Bella's Arcade sized cabinet for my daughter based on the Sega Genesis version of Ms. Pac (where the two can play simultaneously), but then I ended up with a an old Ms. Pac cab with a Pac Man control panel, and it was 30 years ago that Ms Pac was released...

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- final stages of paint....
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »
Updates:

Final painting happening... yellow done, did another coat of blue, first coat of black on cab.

Cleaned and prepped all metal pieces for a quick coat of black spraypaint (this project and next one, both under/over doors).

Got Groovy Game Gear order in, with turbo twist, very cool. Should get last item from them (new balltop/shaft) and my artwork from Basement Arcade Grafix this week.

In-laws are gone (we live with them) so I have the garage to myself until next Saturday... should help me progress quickly... could have the cab back in the basement and assembly/wiring within a week!

One thing I learned: don't use newspaper to mask off latex paint- the ink will transfer! Just buy a big roll of painters plastic and use it! Much easier too!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- ready for assembly.
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:15 am »
Not much to report, waiting for artwork. Moved the machine to the basement, now I have all sorts of spots to touch up with paint.  :-\

A few modifications to parts here and there to make the Pac Man (wood-backed) CP work on a Ms. Pac Cab (made for just the metal).

Decided I want a couple new bezels for the coin door, need to put in an order to TwistedQuarter.

Managed to drop my new versa ball 2 shaft, putting a dent in the balltop... which I had bought to replace a dented balltop.  :banghead:

Needless to say, I am at the "learning to live with imperfections" stage of the project. If I can get this thing finished by Christmas I will be elated.  :angry:

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 11:35:25 am »
Great job.  Love the artwork and overall idea

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 07:11:34 pm »
Its looking real good.

Needless to say, I am at the "learning to live with imperfections" stage of the project.

I know what you mean, I way over thought some points on my project and now I'm looking at some of these things and saying, that looks just fine.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:42 pm »
Thanks. If I can keep from destroying all the individual parts until I get them assembled, I will be ok. I guess it is going to get wear and tear from playing anyway, but denting a $20 balltop/shaft stings a little. I am sure it will still chomp ghosts just fine.

Junix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2021, 01:23:31 am
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »
Hi,

Great job.
I like very much Ms. Pac Man.

BR,

Junix

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab ARTWORK ARRIVED!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2011, 01:23:21 pm »
Holy crap, got my artwork from gameongrafix and it is gorgeous!!!! I was afraid my on-screen colors wouldn't look good when printed, but it looks great. I guess the designer in me needed the artwork to get excited again about the cab... and it worked.

Pic below of the new marquee next to the old one...

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »
Wow that looks super! Hope my artwork will come out great as well, placed the order today at gameongrafix, how long did it take?

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2011, 02:54:37 pm »
Wow that looks super! Hope my artwork will come out great as well, placed the order today at gameongrafix, how long did it take?

Order to delivery was 9 days. I was quite impressed by the speed as well.

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- ARTWORK! Woot!
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:50 pm »
you have quite a collection of literature, i just cant chew through "Hooray for fish  :laugh2:

Looking great!

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »
So phat! :notworthy:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »
So phat! :notworthy:

Thanks!

Got acrylic cut to sandwich the marquee tonight, managed not to mess it up! I will say this, 24x18 sheets are very convenient for pac cabs... two cuts and I was done, with only a 1" strip wasted.

Only other update is that I am still messing with the software, looking into groovymame or cabmame to fix some graphical/sound issues I am running into.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »
On my 6th (!) version of Mame, finally found the right one for my cab... old version, 0.72. This weekend hope to get light installed, marquee on, paint touched up, t-molding in, CP assembled... thank goodness for a 3 day weekend!

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 05:03:41 am »
Wow, I'm not so sure about the blue sides and yellow front but the artwork looks amazing.  I'm really hoping that it ties it all together in the end.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2011, 06:07:48 am »
Wow, I'm not so sure about the blue sides and yellow front but the artwork looks amazing.  I'm really hoping that it ties it all together in the end.

That's my hope, that the yellow and blue will get along. I was originally thinking about a pink border around the coin door, but I wasn't so sure about my ability to mask off some nice round corners. May play it safe and just see how it looks when the door and kickplate are on.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:13 am »
I think the yellow and blue look good together. I know some people like their arcade cabs to look like furniture and be nice looking and all (it also helps for the wife to not hate it so much) but I still love the loud bright colors of the original machines.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »
Got a few things done today... wife and I got speaker, light, marquee installed, paint touched up, and additional CP holes drilled. Would like to get another coat of paint on CP metal & wood to seal edges.

Tomorrow is T-molding, corner protectors, and software tweaks. Monday, control panel assembled. It is starting to look like a real arcade cabinet again!

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »
Marquee looks good lit up.

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2011, 01:19:14 pm »
That marquee looks amazing, i love all the bright colors, best i like the round edges in black on the marquee  :cheers:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- Sideart on, Control Panel done.
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:48 pm »
Made some good progress today. My wife helped me get the t-molding in, sideart on, corner protectors on, CPO on, and I populated the control panel. Overall very very pleased. Pics below. Tomorrow hope to finalize my Mala layout and my MAME setup.

Thanks all for the kind words/feedback.  :cheers:

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- Sideart on, Control Panel done.
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2011, 12:19:08 am »
Excellent.
I love it  :applaud: