Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac 30th anniversary cab- FINISHED!!!!- Now with video!  (Read 30834 times)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Pac 30th anniversary cab- FINISHED!!!!- Now with video!
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:44:11 pm »
Got this cab a couple of weeks ago, was going to toss a console inside, but the bezel art and marquee were in good enough shape (the cab is pretty beat up) to convince me to do a vertical MAME conversion.Not pushing any boundaries here- a pretty straightforward project, but definitely a stretch of my skills. Going to keep the Ms Pac theme generally, but run the "best of" 4-way/one button games like DK, Pac Family, Pengo, Dig Dug, etc. For some reason the cab had a mismatched regular Pac control panel I hope to modify to work. May have to refurbish the old sitck in it or replace with some other 4-way.

Someone painted black around the edges of the sides and the entire front, which means I need to re-paint, but probably some minimalist Pac theme... no stencils for me! Might replace the coin door with another I have, the midway one was also beat up.

Going to run an old P4 pc, Mala, MAME. Finally found a TV with power return the right size, with some quick measuring it looks like I should be able to use the original monitor mount, bezel, etc. Hoping for a 1-button turn on using the original top swtich wired to the PC-on button and a smart strip.

Thanks to the forums here for all the advice that got me started, and thanks in advance for all the help yet to come!

Current costs:

Cab- $80
PC- Out of use, got it in 2004.
Hori Ex2 Controller- Had it ($30)
TV- $30 (I overpaid, but did my research and knew I wanted it)
TVs I bought that didn't work for the project - $10, $20, hope to sell them back on Craigslist
Video card with S-video/Composite out- $45 + a $5 return fee from when i bought the wrong kind.
Can of Bondo, drop cloth- $13

Total- around $175. Hope to finish it under $300.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:09:56 pm by thefearsomefearful »
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ste

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2014, 01:15:20 pm
Re: My first MAME cab- Ms. Pac Man & Friends, original cab conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »
i love these old 80s cabs, they are the best cabs ever! good luck with the project, i had a old vanguard cab, same design as your Ms. pac man cab, we took all the good stuff off, control panel, monitor glass, coin mechs and counters, then chopped it up for fire wood... it was in really bad shape, i regrate chopping it up but hey it cost me £25 for the entire cab complete with monitor and vanguard pcb. all of which was non working!

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2013, 01:23:51 am
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:40:19 am »
Hoping for a 1-button turn on using the original top swtich wired to the PC-on button and a smart strip.

This step is blowing my mind :dunno

I have a cab I'm building and it's almost done, just need to figure out what I'm doing with the TV I have in it right now.  I want the whole thing to start up with a power button on the top, but I'm really concerned about the TV not turning on/staying on the right channel if off too long... How do I resolve this so my cab will operate like this, I really don't want to tell my friends "hey let's play the arcade machine" then push a power button, whip out a remote control to tune in the TV... that's horrible.

Plus I want my kids to be able to play it.  They love playing games on it, but if I'm not home, they are stuck trying to figure things out.

Are there specific idiot-proof guides to doing this?

just saw you mentioned wanting the same thing, hope you can help, thanks!

oh, I attached some images if you want to check it out

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:02:51 am »
Honestly I don't think I am going to be much help... I bought/re-sold 5-6 TVs on Craigslist looking for the right one, this one happens to be a 19" sylvania with power/channel return that fits the mounts in my cabinet perfectly when de-cased. Finding one the right size, with power return, that didn't have color or geometry problems was surprisingly difficult, and this one is composite-in only, but I think I can live with that. If you search around for "power return" you might have some luck, I believe some forum members have modified the TV power circuits to cause them to be "always on" or easy to access from outside the cab. I did a lot of testing turning tvs on and then unplugging and re-plugging into the wall before I found on that always turned back on.

Nice cab, and I hope you find some help here with the TV power issue! Nice avatar, too- the wife and I just started re-watching the Buffy series for the umpteenth time!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

BigJon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2013, 09:52:30 am
    • BigJon Online
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:57 am »
Can't wait to see how this project goes.  This is the exact style of cab I'd like to try and replicate when I build my own later this summer.  I just like the old "closed in" feel of it.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:52:17 am »
Re TV issue:

Real quick:

Ideally you want a newer CRT TV.  The newer CRT Tv's usually have at least S-video in, some have component, and some even have VGA, if you can find a CRT HDTV you are golden.  Barring that here is what you should do:

When you find a TV, turn it on set it to s-video input and then unplug it. Wait like a minute and plug it back in.  If it turns back on automatically, and is on the right channel, you are good.  A lot of the newer crt's were designed to do this so they could be used with home entertainment centers to all be powered off and on easily. 

If the TV does not turn itself on automatically, then unplug the tv, and keep the power button pressed in, then plug the tv in.  If the tv turns on, and its on the right channel, then you have a suitable TV.  You can either jumper the power button so its always on, or set the TV up so that the button is always pushed, I hear a toothpick wedged in the power buton is one way to do it.

If the TV does not power on after you plug it in and hold the button down, or if the tv does not stay on with the power button held down, or if it powers on, but does not power on to the right channel, I say just move on.  Yeah, there are ways to get around these issues, but in my opinion, its not worth the time/frustration/cost/effort to make it work.  With CRT's being so cheap, I say just find one at a thrift store or CL that fits your needs better.

Lastly, you can just use a CRT monitor, and save a lot of headaches.

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:41:02 pm »
@Donkbaca

Thanks for the advice, I'm scouring the net trying to cut people off before they drop their stuff off at those dreaded "electronics recyclers" for a different TV/CRT monitor.

@thefearsomefearful

Glad you like the cab... would love to come by a ms. pacman or God willing, Tron cabinet to restore.  Good luck and thanks for the avatar appreciation! :angel: >:D

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »
oh, and check pawnshops too, lots of people have gotten their tvs at pawn shops

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:51 pm »
oh, and check pawnshops too, lots of people have gotten their tvs at pawn shops

Thanks!  The hunt is on...

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:01:16 pm »
The process has been slow so far as I've been working a night job that ends in April (tax related). I am making some good progress on a custom marquee, hopefully I can get a sample up here this weekend for critique. Final theme is "Mr & Mrs Pac-Man 30th Anniversary." Hopefully about the time I am ready to do the body work it will be warm outside!

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
Please share!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 07:08:48 pm »
Good news, bad news: Was able to get the control panel stripped down to the bare metal (had a beautiful day here in the Chicago area) with paint stripper and a wire brush.

But, did not get as far as I wanted on the marquee design. I'll post my progress here... a lot of placeholder stuff at this point. I am learning Illustrator as I go along (I would be done if I went with my temptation to finish it in Photoshop, which I know better, but I want to keep it vector in case anyone else wants to modify it in the future). Right know I am learning how to compose an image (and color it). So maybe next weekend I will finish the marquee design.

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:28 am »
HA! That looks great... really!  I wouldn't bother saying anything if I felt otherwise.

I just got done printing(b&w laserjet) a Tron marquee that I found to test my marquee light brightness.  I just sat in my garage for 10 minutes with the lights off staring at it.  :o Project is moving along now.

You must be excited.  Keep the momentum going! :applaud:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- Marquee designed, looking for feedback!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »
OK, got the marquee designed. The (final?) theme of the cab is a modern homage to the original Pac and Ms Pac cabs (as I am working with a Ms Pac cabinet and a Pac CP), taking design cues from the first intermission in Ms. Pac-Man ("they meet"). Marquee design is below, love to get the forum's thoughts on it before I print... probably going with GameOnGrafix, they seem to have a good rep here. I generally will be re-using a lot of the "bezel" art from the XBLA releases of Pac and Ms. Pac for this project. Took me a while as I was learning illustrator in the process, but I am please to have this part almost done and ready to tackle the custom side art and CPO.

Credit where credit is due...

thanks to ruckage for a much cleaner Pac character/banner than I had made: http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/details.php?image_id=1472&mode=search

thanks to Purple Lemon for the colors to match and a quick reference to the original design (I also used my cab's original marquee for comparison): http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/details.php?image_id=416

the font I used was Pac Font Good, which seemed like a good modernization of the marquee lettering, and only needed a few tweaks: http://www.fontspace.com/font-a-licious/pacfont-good

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »
Looks really good.  Nice work :applaud: :applaud:

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »
I like it!  Looks good.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 10:28:19 am »
Great, thanks. Now I'm just vectoring some more characters for the CP and then I can get it all printed! ;D

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 10:08:37 pm »
very nice  :)

extendedplayarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:10 pm »
Wow great job on the artwork

Highly impressive illustrator skills

:cheers:

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:04:00 pm »
Great art!

Would you mind sharing the vector files?
I'm making a wedding present for some friends and that with some slight modifications would be perfect!
Thanks, and great work!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »
Great art!

Would you mind sharing the vector files?
I'm making a wedding present for some friends and that with some slight modifications would be perfect!
Thanks, and great work!

Yep, can do, zipped .ai file attached to this post. Thanks all for feedback. The learning curve from raster to vector was a little steeper than I expected, but I am pleased with it- thankfully it is a pretty simple theme compared to some of the classic arcade art!

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »
Thanks So Much! :cheers:

Can't wait to see the CPO and side art!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »
The artwork looks nice. I prefer Ms. Pacman with the blue heels though

Damn. I'll be in my bunk.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- major woodwork complete!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »
OK, family gone, long weekend, good weather, got some progress done:

1. Converted coin door hole for over-under door I had

2. Made new back panel as the other one was trashed. (in process, learned to use a router).

3. Finalized parts list to order from GroovyGameGear and Twisted Quarter (controls, corner protectors, t-molding, etc.) - for both this project and my next one.

a few pics below

Next steps:

1. A bit of structural reinforcement

2. Bondo/body repair & paint prep

3. Paint

4. Finalize designs/get marquee, CPO, side art printed

5. Finalize game list

6. Create Mala Layout

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 11:30:19 pm »

Thats a fine looking job, but I got to say - I love the midway style coin doors.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 01:10:43 am »

Thats a fine looking job, but I got to say - I love the midway style coin doors.

Yeah, they are neat, but budget required a change. This one is actually from an NFL Blitz cabinet, my first MAME attempt that I abandoned- I held on to it as I like the over/under type. The one that came with the Ms Pac cab was beyond salvage... this one only needs a few touch-ups. I am pretty sure the cab will run on quarters when completed (although the coin door had a weird red button on it- if I can find a new button to fit the hole (seems to be just under an inch in diameter) I will make that a credit entry as well.

Insomnia bonus: got a possible MALA menu background done tonight (attached). Pretty basic, looking for a retro/pixel feel that calls back to the marquee.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:20:50 am by thefearsomefearful »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 09:20:41 pm »
OK, game list, held myself to 4-way, one button, gamest that theoretically could have shared the arcade with Ms Pac... some classics, along with a few that I don't know much about to keep it interesting.

Ms Pac-Man (may launch straight into this, since the cabinet takes its theme from this)
Pac-Man
Jr Pac-Man
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Dig Dug
Mappy
Tank Battallion
Pooyan
Warp Warp
Lock N Chase
Burgertime
Mr. Do
Space Invaders Part II
Ladybug
Mr. TNT
Galaga
Pengo
Pac and Pal
Super Pac

So, 20 games, seems about right. Simple character sprites will pop up accordingly next to the selected game in the list.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 11:03:50 pm »
Great list, tff.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:17 pm »
OK, game list, held myself to 4-way, one button, gamest that theoretically could have shared the arcade with Ms Pac... some classics, along with a few that I don't know much about to keep it interesting.

Ms Pac-Man (may launch straight into this, since the cabinet takes its theme from this)
Pac-Man
Jr Pac-Man
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Dig Dug
Mappy
Tank Battallion
Pooyan
Warp Warp
Lock N Chase
Burgertime
Mr. Do
Space Invaders Part II
Ladybug
Mr. TNT
Galaga
Pengo
Pac and Pal
Super Pac

So, 20 games, seems about right. Simple character sprites will pop up accordingly next to the selected game in the list.

Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Jumping Jack
Mr. Do's Castle
Galaxian
Circus Charlie
Crush Roller
Nibbler
Tetris (cocktail)

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:13 pm »
Will probably switch out Tank Battalion and Space Invaders pt. II for Nibbler and Space Invaders Deluxe, see if I can avoid the sound emulation nag screens. I get the feeling that any game with an animal (Nibbler, Frogger, Ladybug) will be my 2 and 1/2 year old daughter's favorites.

Bought the paint at Home Depot over the weekend, for some reason doing so felt like it moved the project ahead a huge leap.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:31 pm »
Finally tracked down a no-nag compile of MAME, so except for a few tweaks to the MALA layout the software side is pretty much done. I'm keeping it pretty simple, decided against a startup video, etc.

In sanding the cab, I am realizing how much work it will be to refinish... although I like the idea of giving a fairly trashed cab new life. It just may be made of more bondo than wood in the end.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »
Sanding done (didn't go all the way to bare wood, but took off the top surface). Tomorrow I get hands on experience with bondo... hope it is a cool day.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »
OK, Bondo is harder to work with than I thought. It seems to go from unworkable (soft) to unworkable (hardened) so fast! Might be a lot of sanding later, I am ok with that. Hot and humid this weekend so I am taking it slow.

Coin door cleaned up, new locks, looks good! Got to figure out how I am going to tap into existing wires for lights/credits.

Got my order of misc. parts from TwistedQuarter, very cool except the joystick balltop came scratched and my attempts to buff it out made it worse. Trying to decide if I should get a replacement or try painting it (which would salvage it, I think, and match the cab colors anyway). I imagine it would take lots of coats of primer/color/clear seal on top. Ball top does not screw off the shaft on this one (Ms. Pac/Galaga reunion stick).

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 12:36:39 am »
Be careful not to use too much hardner.
In order to cut down sanding, it helps to use a surform rasp on the bondo before it fully cures.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:23 am »
Be careful not to use too much hardner.
In order to cut down sanding, it helps to use a surform rasp on the bondo before it fully cures.

Thanks. I feel like I am being conservative, but I'll be lighter on the hardener. Hope to stretch out this can of bondo so I don't have to get another.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- painting started, hijinks ensue!
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 02:40:33 pm »
OK, so started painting, with my sprayer, had all the parts out... and ran out of primer 1/2 way through the first coat of the cab. Apparently a quart was not nearly enough! Also learned that oil based paint is a pita to get off sprayer parts... will be buying a gallon of latex primer later today. :banghead:

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »
Nice project this. I really like the lines of the Pac-Man cabs. So clean and simple yet so stylish. I might consider another bartop project later on this year.....  I'm loving the artwork! The Mala layout looks cool with the original arcade style font. Would you be able to share the layout?  :P

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 03:24:54 pm »
Yeah, I will certainly share the layout and the rest of the artwork files when I get the last tweaks done. I went a slightly different direction with the layout, where you can "flip" through game names instead of scrolling through a list. I'll try to get it all posted before too long.

I'm glad that I ended up with a Ms Pac cab for the project (of course it also determined the theme, etc). Restoring it took a lot of effort, and I probably should have put more work in before I started painting. Not sure if I would reclaim a cab that messed up again, but knowing that the foundation of the cab is 25(ish) years old is kind of neat.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- CPO designed, cabinet primed.
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 09:22:41 pm »
OK, got the CPO designed, pic below. The two start buttons I have are the self-labeled type, so no need to put text on for them.  Feedback appreciated.

The side art will likely just be big ghosts, one on each side, pink and blue, to match the ghosts in the "they meet" intermission.

The cabinet itself has got two of three coats of primer on it, slowing getting in the routine of painting, although each coat ends up with stuff that needs sanded out.  :angry: ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:35:10 pm by thefearsomefearful »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- CPO designed, cabinet primed.
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 05:01:46 pm »
OK, and here are the sideart designs... any thoughts?