Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Long time coming  (Read 1310 times)

MajorHavoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2015, 09:08:40 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Long time coming
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
This project got started about 10 years ago when I began to acquire the necessary parts and pieces for a control panel but didn't really take off until almost 7 years ago when I scored a Mitsubishi xc3315 monitor.  It's acquisition complicated my original idea quicker than you could say "I'll take it".  The thing is Big and heavy too, but the price was right.  The first issue I found myself facing was one of scale.  My original idea was for a basic upright cabinet but the size of the monitor made this impractical.  My ever indulgent wife came to the rescue when she proposed a 4 player cab.  "Well...if you insist Sweetie."  ;)
I pretty much copied a Dynamo showcase cab with a couple of modifications.  The monitor box is designed such that the monitor shelf is secured to the base.  The monitor is then positioned and the top and sides are installed as an assembly which is secured via the stiffeners which tie the sides to the top and bottom at strategically located screw blocks.  The speakers rest on their shelves and the face frame is dropped into position and secured with screws through the top and bottom of the box.  The rear is wide open to allow for ample ventilation.  All that remains for this part of the project is to prime and paint the face frame and install the t-molding on the monitor pier.  Next stop control panel.  Woo-Hoo!