Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac 30th anniversary cab- FINISHED!!!!- Now with video!  (Read 30848 times)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Pac 30th anniversary cab- FINISHED!!!!- Now with video!
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:44:11 pm »
Got this cab a couple of weeks ago, was going to toss a console inside, but the bezel art and marquee were in good enough shape (the cab is pretty beat up) to convince me to do a vertical MAME conversion.Not pushing any boundaries here- a pretty straightforward project, but definitely a stretch of my skills. Going to keep the Ms Pac theme generally, but run the "best of" 4-way/one button games like DK, Pac Family, Pengo, Dig Dug, etc. For some reason the cab had a mismatched regular Pac control panel I hope to modify to work. May have to refurbish the old sitck in it or replace with some other 4-way.

Someone painted black around the edges of the sides and the entire front, which means I need to re-paint, but probably some minimalist Pac theme... no stencils for me! Might replace the coin door with another I have, the midway one was also beat up.

Going to run an old P4 pc, Mala, MAME. Finally found a TV with power return the right size, with some quick measuring it looks like I should be able to use the original monitor mount, bezel, etc. Hoping for a 1-button turn on using the original top swtich wired to the PC-on button and a smart strip.

Thanks to the forums here for all the advice that got me started, and thanks in advance for all the help yet to come!

Current costs:

Cab- $80
PC- Out of use, got it in 2004.
Hori Ex2 Controller- Had it ($30)
TV- $30 (I overpaid, but did my research and knew I wanted it)
TVs I bought that didn't work for the project - $10, $20, hope to sell them back on Craigslist
Video card with S-video/Composite out- $45 + a $5 return fee from when i bought the wrong kind.
Can of Bondo, drop cloth- $13

Total- around $175. Hope to finish it under $300.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:09:56 pm by thefearsomefearful »
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ste

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2014, 01:15:20 pm
Re: My first MAME cab- Ms. Pac Man & Friends, original cab conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »
i love these old 80s cabs, they are the best cabs ever! good luck with the project, i had a old vanguard cab, same design as your Ms. pac man cab, we took all the good stuff off, control panel, monitor glass, coin mechs and counters, then chopped it up for fire wood... it was in really bad shape, i regrate chopping it up but hey it cost me £25 for the entire cab complete with monitor and vanguard pcb. all of which was non working!

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2013, 01:23:51 am
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:40:19 am »
Hoping for a 1-button turn on using the original top swtich wired to the PC-on button and a smart strip.

This step is blowing my mind :dunno

I have a cab I'm building and it's almost done, just need to figure out what I'm doing with the TV I have in it right now.  I want the whole thing to start up with a power button on the top, but I'm really concerned about the TV not turning on/staying on the right channel if off too long... How do I resolve this so my cab will operate like this, I really don't want to tell my friends "hey let's play the arcade machine" then push a power button, whip out a remote control to tune in the TV... that's horrible.

Plus I want my kids to be able to play it.  They love playing games on it, but if I'm not home, they are stuck trying to figure things out.

Are there specific idiot-proof guides to doing this?

just saw you mentioned wanting the same thing, hope you can help, thanks!

oh, I attached some images if you want to check it out

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:02:51 am »
Honestly I don't think I am going to be much help... I bought/re-sold 5-6 TVs on Craigslist looking for the right one, this one happens to be a 19" sylvania with power/channel return that fits the mounts in my cabinet perfectly when de-cased. Finding one the right size, with power return, that didn't have color or geometry problems was surprisingly difficult, and this one is composite-in only, but I think I can live with that. If you search around for "power return" you might have some luck, I believe some forum members have modified the TV power circuits to cause them to be "always on" or easy to access from outside the cab. I did a lot of testing turning tvs on and then unplugging and re-plugging into the wall before I found on that always turned back on.

Nice cab, and I hope you find some help here with the TV power issue! Nice avatar, too- the wife and I just started re-watching the Buffy series for the umpteenth time!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

BigJon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2013, 09:52:30 am
    • BigJon Online
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:57 am »
Can't wait to see how this project goes.  This is the exact style of cab I'd like to try and replicate when I build my own later this summer.  I just like the old "closed in" feel of it.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:52:17 am »
Re TV issue:

Real quick:

Ideally you want a newer CRT TV.  The newer CRT Tv's usually have at least S-video in, some have component, and some even have VGA, if you can find a CRT HDTV you are golden.  Barring that here is what you should do:

When you find a TV, turn it on set it to s-video input and then unplug it. Wait like a minute and plug it back in.  If it turns back on automatically, and is on the right channel, you are good.  A lot of the newer crt's were designed to do this so they could be used with home entertainment centers to all be powered off and on easily. 

If the TV does not turn itself on automatically, then unplug the tv, and keep the power button pressed in, then plug the tv in.  If the tv turns on, and its on the right channel, then you have a suitable TV.  You can either jumper the power button so its always on, or set the TV up so that the button is always pushed, I hear a toothpick wedged in the power buton is one way to do it.

If the TV does not power on after you plug it in and hold the button down, or if the tv does not stay on with the power button held down, or if it powers on, but does not power on to the right channel, I say just move on.  Yeah, there are ways to get around these issues, but in my opinion, its not worth the time/frustration/cost/effort to make it work.  With CRT's being so cheap, I say just find one at a thrift store or CL that fits your needs better.

Lastly, you can just use a CRT monitor, and save a lot of headaches.

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:41:02 pm »
@Donkbaca

Thanks for the advice, I'm scouring the net trying to cut people off before they drop their stuff off at those dreaded "electronics recyclers" for a different TV/CRT monitor.

@thefearsomefearful

Glad you like the cab... would love to come by a ms. pacman or God willing, Tron cabinet to restore.  Good luck and thanks for the avatar appreciation! :angel: >:D

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »
oh, and check pawnshops too, lots of people have gotten their tvs at pawn shops

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:51 pm »
oh, and check pawnshops too, lots of people have gotten their tvs at pawn shops

Thanks!  The hunt is on...

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:01:16 pm »
The process has been slow so far as I've been working a night job that ends in April (tax related). I am making some good progress on a custom marquee, hopefully I can get a sample up here this weekend for critique. Final theme is "Mr & Mrs Pac-Man 30th Anniversary." Hopefully about the time I am ready to do the body work it will be warm outside!

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
Please share!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 07:08:48 pm »
Good news, bad news: Was able to get the control panel stripped down to the bare metal (had a beautiful day here in the Chicago area) with paint stripper and a wire brush.

But, did not get as far as I wanted on the marquee design. I'll post my progress here... a lot of placeholder stuff at this point. I am learning Illustrator as I go along (I would be done if I went with my temptation to finish it in Photoshop, which I know better, but I want to keep it vector in case anyone else wants to modify it in the future). Right know I am learning how to compose an image (and color it). So maybe next weekend I will finish the marquee design.

frustrated_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:28 am »
HA! That looks great... really!  I wouldn't bother saying anything if I felt otherwise.

I just got done printing(b&w laserjet) a Tron marquee that I found to test my marquee light brightness.  I just sat in my garage for 10 minutes with the lights off staring at it.  :o Project is moving along now.

You must be excited.  Keep the momentum going! :applaud:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- Marquee designed, looking for feedback!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »
OK, got the marquee designed. The (final?) theme of the cab is a modern homage to the original Pac and Ms Pac cabs (as I am working with a Ms Pac cabinet and a Pac CP), taking design cues from the first intermission in Ms. Pac-Man ("they meet"). Marquee design is below, love to get the forum's thoughts on it before I print... probably going with GameOnGrafix, they seem to have a good rep here. I generally will be re-using a lot of the "bezel" art from the XBLA releases of Pac and Ms. Pac for this project. Took me a while as I was learning illustrator in the process, but I am please to have this part almost done and ready to tackle the custom side art and CPO.

Credit where credit is due...

thanks to ruckage for a much cleaner Pac character/banner than I had made: http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/details.php?image_id=1472&mode=search

thanks to Purple Lemon for the colors to match and a quick reference to the original design (I also used my cab's original marquee for comparison): http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/details.php?image_id=416

the font I used was Pac Font Good, which seemed like a good modernization of the marquee lettering, and only needed a few tweaks: http://www.fontspace.com/font-a-licious/pacfont-good

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »
Looks really good.  Nice work :applaud: :applaud:

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »
I like it!  Looks good.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 10:28:19 am »
Great, thanks. Now I'm just vectoring some more characters for the CP and then I can get it all printed! ;D

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 10:08:37 pm »
very nice  :)

extendedplayarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:10 pm »
Wow great job on the artwork

Highly impressive illustrator skills

:cheers:

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:04:00 pm »
Great art!

Would you mind sharing the vector files?
I'm making a wedding present for some friends and that with some slight modifications would be perfect!
Thanks, and great work!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »
Great art!

Would you mind sharing the vector files?
I'm making a wedding present for some friends and that with some slight modifications would be perfect!
Thanks, and great work!

Yep, can do, zipped .ai file attached to this post. Thanks all for feedback. The learning curve from raster to vector was a little steeper than I expected, but I am pleased with it- thankfully it is a pretty simple theme compared to some of the classic arcade art!

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »
Thanks So Much! :cheers:

Can't wait to see the CPO and side art!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »
The artwork looks nice. I prefer Ms. Pacman with the blue heels though

Damn. I'll be in my bunk.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- major woodwork complete!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »
OK, family gone, long weekend, good weather, got some progress done:

1. Converted coin door hole for over-under door I had

2. Made new back panel as the other one was trashed. (in process, learned to use a router).

3. Finalized parts list to order from GroovyGameGear and Twisted Quarter (controls, corner protectors, t-molding, etc.) - for both this project and my next one.

a few pics below

Next steps:

1. A bit of structural reinforcement

2. Bondo/body repair & paint prep

3. Paint

4. Finalize designs/get marquee, CPO, side art printed

5. Finalize game list

6. Create Mala Layout

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 11:30:19 pm »

Thats a fine looking job, but I got to say - I love the midway style coin doors.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 01:10:43 am »

Thats a fine looking job, but I got to say - I love the midway style coin doors.

Yeah, they are neat, but budget required a change. This one is actually from an NFL Blitz cabinet, my first MAME attempt that I abandoned- I held on to it as I like the over/under type. The one that came with the Ms Pac cab was beyond salvage... this one only needs a few touch-ups. I am pretty sure the cab will run on quarters when completed (although the coin door had a weird red button on it- if I can find a new button to fit the hole (seems to be just under an inch in diameter) I will make that a credit entry as well.

Insomnia bonus: got a possible MALA menu background done tonight (attached). Pretty basic, looking for a retro/pixel feel that calls back to the marquee.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:20:50 am by thefearsomefearful »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 09:20:41 pm »
OK, game list, held myself to 4-way, one button, gamest that theoretically could have shared the arcade with Ms Pac... some classics, along with a few that I don't know much about to keep it interesting.

Ms Pac-Man (may launch straight into this, since the cabinet takes its theme from this)
Pac-Man
Jr Pac-Man
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Dig Dug
Mappy
Tank Battallion
Pooyan
Warp Warp
Lock N Chase
Burgertime
Mr. Do
Space Invaders Part II
Ladybug
Mr. TNT
Galaga
Pengo
Pac and Pal
Super Pac

So, 20 games, seems about right. Simple character sprites will pop up accordingly next to the selected game in the list.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 11:03:50 pm »
Great list, tff.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:17 pm »
OK, game list, held myself to 4-way, one button, gamest that theoretically could have shared the arcade with Ms Pac... some classics, along with a few that I don't know much about to keep it interesting.

Ms Pac-Man (may launch straight into this, since the cabinet takes its theme from this)
Pac-Man
Jr Pac-Man
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Dig Dug
Mappy
Tank Battallion
Pooyan
Warp Warp
Lock N Chase
Burgertime
Mr. Do
Space Invaders Part II
Ladybug
Mr. TNT
Galaga
Pengo
Pac and Pal
Super Pac

So, 20 games, seems about right. Simple character sprites will pop up accordingly next to the selected game in the list.

Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Jumping Jack
Mr. Do's Castle
Galaxian
Circus Charlie
Crush Roller
Nibbler
Tetris (cocktail)

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:13 pm »
Will probably switch out Tank Battalion and Space Invaders pt. II for Nibbler and Space Invaders Deluxe, see if I can avoid the sound emulation nag screens. I get the feeling that any game with an animal (Nibbler, Frogger, Ladybug) will be my 2 and 1/2 year old daughter's favorites.

Bought the paint at Home Depot over the weekend, for some reason doing so felt like it moved the project ahead a huge leap.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:31 pm »
Finally tracked down a no-nag compile of MAME, so except for a few tweaks to the MALA layout the software side is pretty much done. I'm keeping it pretty simple, decided against a startup video, etc.

In sanding the cab, I am realizing how much work it will be to refinish... although I like the idea of giving a fairly trashed cab new life. It just may be made of more bondo than wood in the end.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »
Sanding done (didn't go all the way to bare wood, but took off the top surface). Tomorrow I get hands on experience with bondo... hope it is a cool day.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »
OK, Bondo is harder to work with than I thought. It seems to go from unworkable (soft) to unworkable (hardened) so fast! Might be a lot of sanding later, I am ok with that. Hot and humid this weekend so I am taking it slow.

Coin door cleaned up, new locks, looks good! Got to figure out how I am going to tap into existing wires for lights/credits.

Got my order of misc. parts from TwistedQuarter, very cool except the joystick balltop came scratched and my attempts to buff it out made it worse. Trying to decide if I should get a replacement or try painting it (which would salvage it, I think, and match the cab colors anyway). I imagine it would take lots of coats of primer/color/clear seal on top. Ball top does not screw off the shaft on this one (Ms. Pac/Galaga reunion stick).

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 12:36:39 am »
Be careful not to use too much hardner.
In order to cut down sanding, it helps to use a surform rasp on the bondo before it fully cures.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:23 am »
Be careful not to use too much hardner.
In order to cut down sanding, it helps to use a surform rasp on the bondo before it fully cures.

Thanks. I feel like I am being conservative, but I'll be lighter on the hardener. Hope to stretch out this can of bondo so I don't have to get another.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- painting started, hijinks ensue!
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 02:40:33 pm »
OK, so started painting, with my sprayer, had all the parts out... and ran out of primer 1/2 way through the first coat of the cab. Apparently a quart was not nearly enough! Also learned that oil based paint is a pita to get off sprayer parts... will be buying a gallon of latex primer later today. :banghead:

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »
Nice project this. I really like the lines of the Pac-Man cabs. So clean and simple yet so stylish. I might consider another bartop project later on this year.....  I'm loving the artwork! The Mala layout looks cool with the original arcade style font. Would you be able to share the layout?  :P

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 03:24:54 pm »
Yeah, I will certainly share the layout and the rest of the artwork files when I get the last tweaks done. I went a slightly different direction with the layout, where you can "flip" through game names instead of scrolling through a list. I'll try to get it all posted before too long.

I'm glad that I ended up with a Ms Pac cab for the project (of course it also determined the theme, etc). Restoring it took a lot of effort, and I probably should have put more work in before I started painting. Not sure if I would reclaim a cab that messed up again, but knowing that the foundation of the cab is 25(ish) years old is kind of neat.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- CPO designed, cabinet primed.
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 09:22:41 pm »
OK, got the CPO designed, pic below. The two start buttons I have are the self-labeled type, so no need to put text on for them.  Feedback appreciated.

The side art will likely just be big ghosts, one on each side, pink and blue, to match the ghosts in the "they meet" intermission.

The cabinet itself has got two of three coats of primer on it, slowing getting in the routine of painting, although each coat ends up with stuff that needs sanded out.  :angry: ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:35:10 pm by thefearsomefearful »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 05:01:46 pm »
OK, and here are the sideart designs... any thoughts?

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 11:57:37 am »
god, I think painting is the hardest part of this hobby by far! :banghead:

The CPO and side art look fanatastic!!!! :applaud: :applaud:
Mind sharing thoes vectors too?!? ;D pretty please!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 04:56:26 pm »
god, I think painting is the hardest part of this hobby by far! :banghead:

The CPO and side art look fanatastic!!!! :applaud: :applaud:
Mind sharing thoes vectors too?!? ;D pretty please!

Yes, definitely... once I do my last "ready to print" check on them, I will get them all posted in the artwork section. Thanks!

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »
No, Thank You!!!!!

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 12:02:42 am »
I like the sideart.
They remind me alot of the pacman stickers from the early eighties.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 10:44:12 am »
I wonder if the sideart is a little angular for a pac cab... what about this alternate? Preferences?

Nephasth

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:45 am »
I like the second one.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:40 pm »
Cool. Keep in mind I'm not doing any other stenciling... just a 20x30" sticker/poster stuck on the Ms Pac blue paint, so I kind of like the extra color space in the 2nd one.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »
I agree with your angular comment... I prefer the second.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »
You've done a great job with the artwork. That's something I am not good at all. If I ever make a Pac themed bartop (which I just might) then I would love to use all the art you've done here. I know I'd be kind of "stealing" it but it just looks great. Oh yeah I prefer the second of the side art examples you posted earlier. Really looking forward to the finished article.  :applaud:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 02:37:40 pm »
You've done a great job with the artwork. That's something I am not good at all. If I ever make a Pac themed bartop (which I just might) then I would love to use all the art you've done here. I know I'd be kind of "stealing" it but it just looks great. Oh yeah I prefer the second of the side art examples you posted earlier. Really looking forward to the finished article.  :applaud:

Yeah, I think I will go with the more "rounded rectangle" type, that will probably be easier to apply, too. You're definitely welcome to any of the art, I am dragging my feet on it but I will try to get all the .ai files posted this week... after all, I just "stole" it from some Namco designer (and a few parts from other folks here on the boards) myself ! And it was a good subject matter to learn the software (Adobe Illustrator) on... clean lines, simple color palette.

As the cabinet goes, I am finished priming (finally) and ready to put some blue on this weekend. I think I am painting the front yellow, we will see how that goes. I would love to say the priming/sanding gave me a perfect finish, but I still see lots of blemishes... this one has been a big learning experience for me as far as bondo and paint!

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »

Yeah, I think I will go with the more "rounded rectangle" type, that will probably be easier to apply, too. You're definitely welcome to any of the art, I am dragging my feet on it but I will try to get all the .ai files posted this week... after all, I just "stole" it from some Namco designer (and a few parts from other folks here on the boards) myself ! And it was a good subject matter to learn the software (Adobe Illustrator) on... clean lines, simple color palette.

As the cabinet goes, I am finished priming (finally) and ready to put some blue on this weekend. I think I am painting the front yellow, we will see how that goes. I would love to say the priming/sanding gave me a perfect finish, but I still see lots of blemishes... this one has been a big learning experience for me as far as bondo and paint!

I hate painting! I just dont have the patience for it. One thing I want to do with my current project is get away from painting as much as I can. Of course you can't avoid some areas like the small angles where side panels meet marquee etc. etc. which can be sprayed. But I want to try and use some adhesive vinyl instead of paint. for the back panels and door etc. You still need a flat surface as the vinyl is quite thin and will show imperfections, but if it's applied right it should give a great uniform finish. Well that's the idea anyway... perhaps applying it might be as frustrating as painting would have been.  :dizzy:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- painting painting painting...
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:44 pm »
First coat of blue went on today. Posted artwork here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112832.0. Now I just need to get it printed somewhere.

Bought a duplicate of the TV I de-cased for this project, just in case it dies on me. Added it to my "shelf of screens for future projects"... I have a problem.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »
Last (3rd) coat of blue goes on today. Takes forever to dry in the midwest humidity. Not entirely happy with how it is coming out, but looking forward to being able to move on to another color (yellow on the front)... and get closer to getting it inside and put together. Pic below.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
This is coming on nicely. And thank you for posting the art files. I've downloaded them for a future possible project.   :D

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:25 pm »
Not much to report, blue paint is done. Too hot to paint for a few days.

The "Multiple" in MAME has become too much of a temptation, and decided to add a spinner and a couple buttons to the plan. Time to re-do the CPO artwork!  ;D

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- change in controls plan, still painting...
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »
Got an order into Basement Arcade Grafix for the artwork, and just sent an order to Groovy Game Gear for a Turbo Twist spinner and a longer ball top shaft. New CPO preview below. Yes, I put the buttons on the left. I am strange I guess. Buttons and spinner are red, should have a slight yellow outline of them on the CP.

Still too freaking hot to paint!

Need to update my potential ROM list now that I have buttons and a spinner (still just a 4-way joy though).

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- still painting...
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »
Finally got some painting done today, first coat of yellow on the bottom front. When that is done will just need to do the flat black on the top front/misc hardware and a pink highlight around the coin door area (not using any kickplate art, due to the over/under door).

Also glued some small metal pieces as backing for a couple of carriage bolt holes I need to fill, now that the holes have a "bottom" I will fill them with glue or something (out of bondo) before I prime and apply the adhesive control panel overlay.

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:15 am »
I was just about to say "ohhh, those need to go in a frame" for the sideart as I was reading this thread but you did it already!

Great designs and theme! Who would of thought Mr + Mrs Pac-Man! :applaud:

Now, you need to design some kids! :P I'm sure he has had a whole lotta loving in those years!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »

Great designs and theme! Who would of thought Mr + Mrs Pac-Man! :applaud:

Thanks. I originally thought of the theme to make a Bella's Arcade sized cabinet for my daughter based on the Sega Genesis version of Ms. Pac (where the two can play simultaneously), but then I ended up with a an old Ms. Pac cab with a Pac Man control panel, and it was 30 years ago that Ms Pac was released...

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- final stages of paint....
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »
Updates:

Final painting happening... yellow done, did another coat of blue, first coat of black on cab.

Cleaned and prepped all metal pieces for a quick coat of black spraypaint (this project and next one, both under/over doors).

Got Groovy Game Gear order in, with turbo twist, very cool. Should get last item from them (new balltop/shaft) and my artwork from Basement Arcade Grafix this week.

In-laws are gone (we live with them) so I have the garage to myself until next Saturday... should help me progress quickly... could have the cab back in the basement and assembly/wiring within a week!

One thing I learned: don't use newspaper to mask off latex paint- the ink will transfer! Just buy a big roll of painters plastic and use it! Much easier too!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- ready for assembly.
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:15 am »
Not much to report, waiting for artwork. Moved the machine to the basement, now I have all sorts of spots to touch up with paint.  :-\

A few modifications to parts here and there to make the Pac Man (wood-backed) CP work on a Ms. Pac Cab (made for just the metal).

Decided I want a couple new bezels for the coin door, need to put in an order to TwistedQuarter.

Managed to drop my new versa ball 2 shaft, putting a dent in the balltop... which I had bought to replace a dented balltop.  :banghead:

Needless to say, I am at the "learning to live with imperfections" stage of the project. If I can get this thing finished by Christmas I will be elated.  :angry:

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 11:35:25 am »
Great job.  Love the artwork and overall idea

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 07:11:34 pm »
Its looking real good.

Needless to say, I am at the "learning to live with imperfections" stage of the project.

I know what you mean, I way over thought some points on my project and now I'm looking at some of these things and saying, that looks just fine.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:42 pm »
Thanks. If I can keep from destroying all the individual parts until I get them assembled, I will be ok. I guess it is going to get wear and tear from playing anyway, but denting a $20 balltop/shaft stings a little. I am sure it will still chomp ghosts just fine.

Junix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2021, 01:23:31 am
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »
Hi,

Great job.
I like very much Ms. Pac Man.

BR,

Junix

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab ARTWORK ARRIVED!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2011, 01:23:21 pm »
Holy crap, got my artwork from gameongrafix and it is gorgeous!!!! I was afraid my on-screen colors wouldn't look good when printed, but it looks great. I guess the designer in me needed the artwork to get excited again about the cab... and it worked.

Pic below of the new marquee next to the old one...

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »
Wow that looks super! Hope my artwork will come out great as well, placed the order today at gameongrafix, how long did it take?

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2011, 02:54:37 pm »
Wow that looks super! Hope my artwork will come out great as well, placed the order today at gameongrafix, how long did it take?

Order to delivery was 9 days. I was quite impressed by the speed as well.

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- ARTWORK! Woot!
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:50 pm »
you have quite a collection of literature, i just cant chew through "Hooray for fish  :laugh2:

Looking great!

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »
So phat! :notworthy:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »
So phat! :notworthy:

Thanks!

Got acrylic cut to sandwich the marquee tonight, managed not to mess it up! I will say this, 24x18 sheets are very convenient for pac cabs... two cuts and I was done, with only a 1" strip wasted.

Only other update is that I am still messing with the software, looking into groovymame or cabmame to fix some graphical/sound issues I am running into.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »
On my 6th (!) version of Mame, finally found the right one for my cab... old version, 0.72. This weekend hope to get light installed, marquee on, paint touched up, t-molding in, CP assembled... thank goodness for a 3 day weekend!

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 05:03:41 am »
Wow, I'm not so sure about the blue sides and yellow front but the artwork looks amazing.  I'm really hoping that it ties it all together in the end.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2011, 06:07:48 am »
Wow, I'm not so sure about the blue sides and yellow front but the artwork looks amazing.  I'm really hoping that it ties it all together in the end.

That's my hope, that the yellow and blue will get along. I was originally thinking about a pink border around the coin door, but I wasn't so sure about my ability to mask off some nice round corners. May play it safe and just see how it looks when the door and kickplate are on.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:13 am »
I think the yellow and blue look good together. I know some people like their arcade cabs to look like furniture and be nice looking and all (it also helps for the wife to not hate it so much) but I still love the loud bright colors of the original machines.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »
Got a few things done today... wife and I got speaker, light, marquee installed, paint touched up, and additional CP holes drilled. Would like to get another coat of paint on CP metal & wood to seal edges.

Tomorrow is T-molding, corner protectors, and software tweaks. Monday, control panel assembled. It is starting to look like a real arcade cabinet again!

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »
Marquee looks good lit up.

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2011, 01:19:14 pm »
That marquee looks amazing, i love all the bright colors, best i like the round edges in black on the marquee  :cheers:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- Sideart on, Control Panel done.
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:48 pm »
Made some good progress today. My wife helped me get the t-molding in, sideart on, corner protectors on, CPO on, and I populated the control panel. Overall very very pleased. Pics below. Tomorrow hope to finalize my Mala layout and my MAME setup.

Thanks all for the kind words/feedback.  :cheers:

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2011, 12:19:08 am »
Excellent.
I love it  :applaud:

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2011, 04:06:32 am »
So cute  ;D

Does the blue of the side match the blue of the control panel?

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2011, 06:09:09 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:53:13 am by Louis Tully »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:35 am »
So cute  ;D

Does the blue of the side match the blue of the control panel?

Thanks!

No, I actually put a different color blue on the side (as opposed to the CP blue) thinking it would be too close to the paint color (which ended up being more aqua anyway). I could have made them the same and it would have been fine.

That is one color change I would have made. I might have made the blue ghosts a little lighter on the front, as well (in case anyone else uses the artwork).

I was very pleased we got everything on straight... good to have a helper (and one you don't mind being very close to) when applying all the vinyl.

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 03:45:03 pm
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2011, 02:55:33 pm »
That control panel looks great.  I like it.   :applaud:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- back door
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »
Got the back door on, so structurally, cabinet is finished. All that is left is software (specifically, trying to beat MAME into submission.. still trying to get certain games to play right) and wiring things up. May end up hacking a MS Sidewinder (joyport) pad for this cab, the sound card I put it had a port on it, so may as well use it. Sounds like it is a popular choice and I got one cheap from GGG a while back.

Decided to go simple for my front end- one game listed at a time, game name, year, and a blown up sprite from the game. Hope to get the whole thing on video when I am done.

I cannot wait to teach my 3 year old daughter to play Pac-Man!

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:03 pm »
nice attention to detail. even the back matches the sides. great job

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2011, 10:55:39 pm »
nice attention to detail. even the back matches the sides. great job

Thanks! The cab had a back door, beat to hell. The most "woodworking" part of the project was using it as a pattern to make a new one out of MDF (learned to use a router). The top of the bottom back panel was structurally the worst part of the cabinet, so instead of repairing the tongue/groove area where the door connects I just bondo'd it up and went for the piano hinge.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- tweaks and wiring
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:09 am »
Got the monitor in, test rig set up. Doing lots of MAME tweaks, monitor tweaks. Waiting for smoked plexi (should be here in a couple of days) to put bezel on. Will order some random coin door parts from Twisted Quarter today. Smart strip works great to turn everything on and off with the PC.

Currently working on making a custom intro video (just 5 seconds or so) and screensaver (maybe 10 images that will rotate through, with some game trivia and stuff) for MALA. Then I embark on a quest to learn to solder as I do the traditional Microsoft Sidewinder hack.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 10:52:47 am »
Hmm. Sorry to report that my CPO from gameongrafix has developed some cracking where it goes over the curve on my control panel. I am not the only one to experience this, I know, but I feel like I applied it well (slowly, warming it with a hair dryer, two people working at it, etc.). Took just over a week for the cracks to develop. Not a huge deal, but disappointing.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 01:58:30 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about the cracking of your cpo.
Out of curiousity, where did you order you smoked plexi from? I need to order some for mine, but prices and shipping seem high.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2011, 02:29:29 pm »
Where's it cracking? On the sides or on the bend?

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about the cracking of your cpo.
Out of curiousity, where did you order you smoked plexi from? I need to order some for mine, but prices and shipping seem high.

I ended up going with tap plastics. Invoice attached below... looked ahead at all the projects I have in the queue and ordered all at once, to make shipping more reasonable. I just didn't want to deal with a glass place, and hardware stores only seem to carry the bronzed type around me.

Where's it cracking? On the sides or on the bend?

Right at the apex of the bend. Can't feel it but can see a narrow crack along the entire width.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »
My startup video- wanted to bring more of the cab art onto the screen. Intentionally very short, and pixellated.

[youtube][/youtube]

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:29 pm »
Nice job!

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2011, 08:57:12 pm »
When you recieve your solar gray acrylic, please show it. I'm thinking about ordering some but I'm a little worried it may be a bit too dark.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2011, 10:13:02 pm »
When you recieve your solar gray acrylic, please show it. I'm thinking about ordering some but I'm a little worried it may be a bit too dark.

Will do... I am hoping they are ok, as I bought 4 sheets, but I'll get a comparison video up. I am using composite video for my current cab, not the best but the best I could find... I am hoping a nice tint will help the image "pop."

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2011, 06:36:28 pm »
OK, probably not the best before and after, but I took both pics with flash off before and after putting the acrylic on... no adjustments to room lighting or tv settings or anything. Hope that helps. I think it looks just right. Of course, after having the glass bezel on that I've had stored for months, I realize it has many flaws...  :banghead: but is good enough... and original, which is kind of cool!

Nephasth

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »
Wow, that looks great!

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »
Yeah that tint really sets the picture off nice. looks great. That settles it for me, I was gonna try my local glass place but it will cost just as much and I'm not crazy about the one gray tint they have available. I'm gonna order from Tap.
Quick question: if its a hair too wide, do you think it can easily be sanded and pollished on the edge for a tight fit?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:03:24 am by mgb »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »
Nothing too exciting, I am at the "padhack" phase which has somehow turned into the "remove vinyl from next project cabinet" phase. Need... to... focus...

Here are some videos of my front end and screen saver (in case I forget and leave the cab on), pretty minimalistic, of course. Some of the games you see will come off, and there is a second game list that I don't show (forgot to hit the button) with about 7 more games.

[youtube][youtube]

[youtube][youtube]

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:15 pm »
Yeah that tint really sets the picture off nice. looks great. That settles it for me, I was gonna try my local glass place but it will cost just as much and I'm not crazy about the one gray tint they have available. I'm gonna order from Tap.
Quick question: if its a hair too wide, do you think it can easily be sanded and pollished on the edge for a tight fit?

Sorry for the slow response... as far as sanding, it seems to be a similar consistency to the acrylic I used for my marquee (although that was thinner), which sanded well when I cut it too big... except I wasn't careful enough and scratched the surface a bit (probably good to leave the protective layer on as long as possible- the tap stuff comes with a brown paper that is stuck on good). So, yeah, I think it would sand fine.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2011, 09:09:44 pm »
Things have been slow, but I think I am in the last week of this build! I had a little bit of problems software-wise, my old PC did not like the drivers I had to install to use my HRAP PCB (maybe some sort of direct X related thing? It was weird), so I am back to using the sidewinder. Troubleshooting set me back a bit though.

I just have to:

-Attach kickplate (I will probably just use command adhesive or something)

-Re-assemble coin door (took it apart for cleaning/painting/new parts)

-padhack the Sidewinder and attach to barrier strip (I've got all the prep work done, just need to man up and start soldering).

-Wire PC swich to original top of cabinet switch

-secure all components inside cab

-misc. visual tweaks

ok, maybe I am in the last two weeks of the cab, but I have my neices and nephews visiting near the end of the month, and I should have it done by then!!!

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »
Got a few things done... been a productive couple of days. A couple pics below, of me spicing into the PC power for various things, and a cheap-ass DIY weight I built for my turbotwist, with an old knob, some washers, and hot glue.

-Attach kickplate (I will probably just use command adhesive or something)

-Re-assemble coin door (took it apart for cleaning/painting/new parts)

-padhack the Sidewinder and attach to barrier strip (I've got all the prep work done, just need to man up and start soldering).

-Wire PC swich to original top of cabinet switch

-secure all components inside cab

-misc. visual tweaks

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2011, 11:26:17 am »
A bit of a delay... I am about an hour away from completion but realized that my coin door didn't cover the top left corner of the hole... time for more bondo and paint.... but I can see the promised land, and I won't let it get me down!  :angel:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- FINISHED!!!!
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2011, 08:20:43 pm »
Well, the cabinet is done. I am sure I will be making little tweaks to brightness and controls for a couple of weeks, but the thing is together and working 100%. The last steps were installing a fan in the back, shortening my joystick shaft (the Versa Ball one worked with the Ms. Pac stick, but was too long). Very excited. I hope to get some videos up sometime soon, as I think it came together nicely for my first time out, and I would love to talk about some of my design thoughts. For now, a far less exciting pic is below.

A big thanks to all on the forum here who helped me directly, sold me stuff, asked questions I learned from, told me when I had a bad idea, etc. I think my family will have a lot of fun with this, and I am looking forward to my 3-year old growing up with the same games I grew up with (and not console ports-lucky kid!).

Remember, all the artwork is available for download http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112832.msg1197773#msg1197773 if anyone can put it to use or improve on it!

My next cab is currently in the garage getting some wood work done on it... look for another project announcement thread soon...

Nephasth

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2011, 08:56:01 pm »
 :applaud: Awesome job! Enjoy it for many years to come!

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2011, 09:54:58 pm »
Nice job! Truly Classic.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Re: Pac 30th anniversary cab- FINISHED!!!!- Now with video!
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:57 pm »
[youtube][youtube]

[youtube][youtube]

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2011, 08:30:18 pm »
Wow! that came out really nice!
Love The Artwork and the professional look! :cheers: :cheers:

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2011, 01:08:10 am »
It did come out nice.  :cheers: love the colours and artwork!

The mala layout looks amazing too, simple but stylish. a lovely job and definitely one of my favorite projects.
look forward to your next! :applaud:

nitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »
I know I'm jumping in pretty late on this...but AWESOME JOB! :applaud: This is pretty much exactly the kind of cab I want.

And I'll be honest, I'm considering stealing your front end idea. ;D

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:57 pm »
I know I'm jumping in pretty late on this...but AWESOME JOB! :applaud: This is pretty much exactly the kind of cab I want.

And I'll be honest, I'm considering stealing your front end idea. ;D

Thanks for the feedback! After having it finished for awhile, I am pleased with it and how it is getting played by my family. It was definitely a learning process, I am trying to put some of that knowledge into my next projects. For the front end, I kept trying to cram a bunch of info on the screen, but it always felt better to strip it back to the minimum in the end.

Steal away!  :cheers:

nitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2011, 11:32:59 pm »
Yeah, I'll bet you guys are having fun with that machine. I think a nice clean classic machine like that is more fun to play than a cab that tries to do everything. Less is more.

I've made a few "busy" front end layouts myself, but then I see layouts like yours and like them better. Again, less is more.

:cheers:

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2012, 12:57:58 am »
Just wanted to add to this thread to say thanks for the nomination in this year's user choice awards. There were some incredible projects finished last year, so having my simple build/restore mentioned alongside them is really neat.

Since I'm bumping the project thread anyway, I will give a bit of an update... several months in, and the cabinet is holding up good. I need to go in and take a few roms out that never get played. My wife has really liked Anteater, Jr. Pac, and Burgertime, and I am still loving Mr. TNT and the Gee Bee/Bomb Bee/Cutie Q trilogy.

I'll attach a pic of the cab in action. I've got a couple more upright projects in the works that I hope to make progress on now that is is nice outside again, and I am headed to an auction tomorrow...  ;D

tkeahi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2021, 05:39:33 am
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2012, 05:48:56 pm »
I love the layout you came up with. I'm trying to do something similar - can I ask what resolution you're running on the layout? And what font is that? I have downloaded a lot of "arcade-looking" fonts but none of them seem as close to the midway "ms pacman" font as I would like.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2012, 12:10:33 am »
I love the layout you came up with. I'm trying to do something similar - can I ask what resolution you're running on the layout? And what font is that? I have downloaded a lot of "arcade-looking" fonts but none of them seem as close to the midway "ms pacman" font as I would like.

Thanks. The layout is just 640x480, and the font is called emulator... not a perfect match but I found it didn't look too far off from the in-game fonts.  http://www.dafont.com/emulator-jaynz.font

eldiau

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 06:01:40 pm
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
Being new in the forum I got to see this project just because of the bump. Great project! Love the way in which all pieces get together in a true '80ish look.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2014, 09:15:52 pm »
A little update... instead of working on my (4, sigh) other projects, I spent the day replacing the 4-way on this cabinet to an 8-way LS-56 w/ octagonal gate, which seems to work well enough for Pac Man, etc., and opens my game list to some 8-way classics. Took off a bunch of games we never played (Pooyan, DK II hack, Pop Flamer, Guzzler, Roc & Rope, etc.) and added several (Gaplus, Gyruss, Time Pilot, Q*Bert, Exerion, Juno First, Bomb Jack, Kangaroo, Xevious). Easy part was drilling mounting holes for the LS-56 on the Ms. Pac stick mounting plate (plenty of room). Hard part was remembering how MALA and InstantSheller were set up.

Happy to say the cab is holding up well after 2+ years!