Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: **COMPLETED***Just plain old ARCADE CLASSICS slim w/rotation (Lots of photos!)  (Read 54410 times)

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
Well here it is fellas.... I began this quest by inadvertantly browsing the forums and first reading about CRT monitor availability. I have been wanting to build a cab for about 10 years now, but life always seemed to take me another direction. Well after reading about the lack of CRT availability, and how parts are increasingly becoming difficult to find, I decided NOW is the time, now is the place for the ARCADE. I spent about a week or two heavily engrossed in this site, scouring all the ins and outs, the uppers, the downers, the successes and the failures. Upon reviewing my needs for a cab I decided I would make a slim cab, something similar to Knievel's Evolution. Despite wanting that CRT authenticity, I decided LCD was going to suit my needs better for a slimmer cab. In realizing the limitation of monitor size, I then added in the rotation, which is where the story begins....

I bought an HP LP2065 off ebay and decided to play with the rotation setup first, since I figured that was going to be the most difficult part of the process. The circuit design for the rotation was hashed out over a weekend with virtualy all the credit going to DaOld Man which can be found HERE: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110207.0

First series of photos shows how I prepared the monitor to test the rotation ability. Again all of this is based on the LP2065. First thing to do was remove the mounting nut. I decided I would use the monitor's rear bracket because it seemed to be centered on the weight of the monitor. Once this nut was removed, I took the whole bracket apart from the monitor shoe bracket. I then took a screwdriver and sheared off the fixed pin that allows users to rotate the monitor 90 degrees. (We'll be doing that through electronics.) After this pin was sheared off, I then drilled 4 holes to mount a 3" lazy susan bearing from www.vxb.com. My thought with the lazy susan bearing and why the ones from Lowes or Home Depot had failed people in the past was two fold 1) The quality at box stores just plain sucks and 2) It contained too much surface area. So I went with this higher quality 1/4" bearing from VXB which can hold 200 lbs and actually has some meat to it. Now I don't know how well this will hold up, I guess we'll see later on.

Once the bearing was mounted, I then drilled an access hole behind the release lever so I could mount the hinge. I mounted it to a scrap piece of wood, clipped on the monitor and what do you know? It works! Pretty smoothly too.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:35:44 pm by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
Re: Just plain old ARCADE - Slim, LCD, w/rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:17:09 am »
In the cab the monitor will be mounted to a piece of circular wood using the same holes as the lazy susan bearing, I just wanted to see if that bearing was up to the job being mounted sideways.

Now that I have some confidence in the mechanics of the rotation, I started on the circuit. First was the assembly of the PWM board which will be used to control the speed of the rotation. It comes in an "assemble yourself" type electronics kit with everything you need but a soldering iron. Here are some photos of the kit and my assembled PWM module.

Still waiting on Solarbotics for the secret motor driver, motor and wheel. Limit switches are on their way too.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:10 am »
I received the rest of my electronics from solarbotics. I would not recommend this company if you're in a hurry. I paid $10 for shipping and it took 8 business days. Calgary is only about 8 hours from my house by car, so that's about 1 day per hour driving! I have since found a website that has a lot of the same motors here. http://www.pololu.com/ more about that later..

I assembled the secret motor drive and the circuit previously proposed by DaOld Man. It works! The PWM board adjusts the speed of the motor nicely. It seem good using both the 5V and 12V sources from a molex connector. The GM3 is rated primarily for 6V, but with the PWM you can pulse it lower. I don't think this motor is that strong so I may be trying another motor from that website stated previously. In regard to the GM3 and 5V, I don't think you would need a PWM anyway. It spins at about the correct speed if it's turning a 20-28" disc. I haven't tried it yet, because I need to make the bracket, but it seems about right. Since I have the PWM, I can use a stronger motor and play with the speed irregardless of the gear ratio. (as long as I watch the current it draws.)

Back to the mechanics, I disassembled the proof of principle and began with the structure of the rotation. I cut a 24" round from 5/8" particle board. The entire cabinet will be made of 5/8" particle board laminated with Wilsonart black. I just could not find any MDF in 5/8"! Anyway, after cutting the circle out, I cut a base plate 25" wide. This gives me roughly 1/2" on each side of the rotating disk. There is a reason for the size, but I will touch on that later in the build. Centering the bracket and pulling up screws I attached the monitor mount to the disk, then to the lazy susan bearing as done previously. I bought a flange mounted single bearing to support the weight of the monitor, but one bearing did not seem supportive enough due to left and right deflection. I purchased another bearing and I will mount them on the lower quarter lines of the cirlce. This should stabilize it real nice. I set them in far enough so I can have some grease on it and it won't interfere with the traction of the motor. The motor will be mounted further out on the disk.

For the motor I took a solid piece of poplar and cut out a "U" where the motor will mount. I then used a screen door hinge on the remaining piece so that I can mount the board with some tension. The wheel will then "ride" up and down on the disk hopefully providing enough traction and taking up any runout on the lazy susan bearing. Before I go any further with completing the lazy susan I need the flange bearing and potentially my laminate. I was thinking of laminating the backside where the bearing will ride because I don't know how particle board holds up to grease. Will this make it swell? Anyway, that's all for today. Good the weekend is coming up so I can make more substantial progress!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:06:02 am by DNA Dan »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:06:59 am
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:06 am »
Keep going!!  I love all the details.  After a 3 year delay, this summer I am going to be attempting this so I need as much info as possible.  :cheers:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:02 pm »
I had some time to do some prototyping for the cabinet design. I am simply drawing it in MS Word and making the lengths of the lines in inches/10 by moving the decimal. I cut out a rough approximation out of large sheets of cardboard I had laying around. Some things to note in the proportions:

1) The real limit to a slim, rotating cab is the top angle of the monitor. You have to account for the lazy susan, the wood and the monitor. This at a minimum is 6", so in order to not have the viewing angle too steep, the cab needs to be deeper at the base.

2) Due to the depth issue of #1,  I will be looking at mounting the motor on the bottom of the disk. This isn't ideal however the weight of the monitor resting on the flange bearings is greater than the screen door hing pushing the motor against it.

3) I am fairly tall, so I have my CP pretty high. I want to keep the bezel uniform all around, so I don't know where else to throw in the vertical dimension other than the base. Right now the TOP of the CP is sitting about 41-42"

4) I am not so certain about the motor. I ordered a backup plan which I will most likely use and involves a USB interface, autohotkey ability, serial port ability, etc. It also has PWM built into the circuit. I know it's not the most cost effective way to do this, but I just don't trust the plastic gears in the GM3 over time and the secret motor drive can only handle 1.5A. Not enough for a beefy motor.

5) I think I am going to play with increasing the bezel height a bit, but keep the same angles. The problem here is it starts to look too thick relative to the monitor top -> to wall dimension.

Comments on the proportions would be welcomed... I know sketchup or Adobe would be more precise, but I am a hands-on guy and the prototype lets me actually "feel" the proportions.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:30:16 am by DNA Dan »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:13:57 am »
That looks completely in proportion to me.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:02 pm »
I think I am going to pull the sides by the top of the monitor toward the player a bit, but still keep the monitor recessed as far back as it is. In the prototype I was more concerned with how the viewing angle felt. The side just looks too thin at that spot. I'd like to give it more of an arcade appearance and not so much a "slim" appearance. I think I will also make this a gradual curve to soften it up a bit.

Hopefully I will have my flange bearings tomorrow to try the monitor rotation out. I am going to cut out the cab pieces this weekend! As a noob with this is seems like 90% of this is in the planning.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »
Here is the revised profile. First shot is before on left, after on right. I basically kept the same profile but extended the height 2" and the marquee area by another 3". This accounts for tipping the top of the monitor area by 3" forward. I think I will still keep the monitor recessed as is shown in the second photo because it's a better viewing angle. The second shot shows the older profile ON TOP of the new profile and you can see the monitor angle in blue.

Looking back at Knievel's design, I see he put the extra height in the "admin panel". Since I don't think I will be using admin buttons, the bezel will come all the way down to the control panel at a steeper angle. If I had a criticism of Knievel's design it would be how vertical the monitor is in his cabs. On the other hand, having played with the most appealing angles involved, I see why it was done that way.

The reason I want the side to look beefier is because the width is ~26-27". I think the top was just too dinky before.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:33:28 pm by DNA Dan »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:22:25 pm »
Looks good!

push2reject

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2014, 06:55:40 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:58:30 pm »
a rough approximation out of large sheets of cardboard I had laying around

I think cardboard is underutilized in the arcade world.  We wanna see x-arcade slapped in there now.

Its looking pretty good.  Planning is never overrated.  I can see from just your mock up that I will be watching this one.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.  -Kevin Flynn

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 01:03:01 am »
Aw dude that is a crack up!  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Hopefully I end up with something a little more inspiring. I should post the mock up in the FS section. I didn't know it was it's own genre.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 11:12:28 am »
More on the monitor dimensions:

I wanted the rotation mechanism (aka the disk) to be completely concealed. That is to say, I don't want to be able to see the circle inside the bezel. Working with the monitor's longest dimension from screen edge to screen edge of 16", that is the smallest the opening could be. The highest point of visibility of the rotating mechanism is when the monitor is at exactly 45 degrees. Doing some calculations to figure out the smallest circle that can contain a 16" square led me to the 24" disk size. 24" is a little bigger, which I am hoping will still conceal the the disk in the corner when the monitor is exactly at 45 degrees and you have a decent chance of seeing the inside of the cabinet from the tilted viewing angle. The 25" interior cab dimension was decided based on the disk size to give some clearance for both sides of the disk to turn freely. There is a possibility I could reduce the disk size, since after all that isn't the part which will be up against the bezel, but the bezel portion is just a mirror image of the disk size, so I figured I would use the largest disk size possible to give the motor the most leverage.

How will the disk be concealed at the monitor's face? For this I plan on using a piece of matte or perhaps laminate cut into the shape of the disk then glued to the face of the monitor's bezel. This will ride just below the glass. Hopefully you won't know the monitor even rotates until the switch is flipped!

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
Re: Just plain old ARCADE - Slim, LCD, w/rotation (Lots of photos!)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 12:30:06 am »
Started on the cab tonight and reworked the design again. Lowered the top of the CP down 1 inch, it felt too high. I also decided to keep the same reveal around the monitor as the cab, as a result I cut deeper into the top of the monitor angle. To offset this and keep the angle I like, I pulled the CP slot forward 1 inch. Once I had this all set, standing in front of the monitor felt like I was looking down. I realized the space I needed to increase in dimension was between the CP and the bezel. I realize now why Knievel has the admin panel there. It pushes this dimension up and gives some functionality so you don't really think about it. I decided to make a 3 1/2" bracket there above the CP where the bezel glass will sit. No plans to use it for buttons, but who knows. It definitely feels just right now. I also changed the lower angle under the CP from 45 to 35 degrees. I want to see more of the t-molding while viewing the cab from the front. It softens the look under there.

I cut out one side rough, then used a 2X6 clamped in various ways to make that perfect straight cut. I had a brand new Freud 1" trim bit that I used and MAN! Whoever invented the flush trim bit deserves a medal. I took my time making straight cuts and curves with the router. Once one side was done, BAM I set the depth and cut the other one off the first template. Easy as pie. This was so much fun, I can see why some of you guys have made 2-3 cabs! :cheers:

Anyway, some shots to track progress. First ones show how I setup the fence for the router. (Don't mind my ghetto saw horses!) Rough cut, then clean cut. Trick here is to measure twice, cut once making lots of small passes. Don't bite too much off or you will burn the bit in the material. Also, make sure your fence is true and you know the EXACT dimension from the edge of your router to the edge of the blade. Next shot is the copy of the other side. Triple side shot is the evolution of the design. First one is on the left, middle one is first revision, last one is the actual cut wood. Final shot is both identical halves. Still waiting for parts to try the monitor rotation, so I will have to focus on the cab build for now.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:32:39 am by DNA Dan »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 12:44:43 am »
Starting to take a form of its own now.
The router is most definitely our best friend!

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:48 am »
Got the second flange installed and needed to shim the lazy susan bearing by 1/8" so the height was level all around. So far using that bearing and two single bearing flanges is a $10 solution for a rotating monitor. I painted both sides of the disk with that Zinsser mildew primer just so that no grease would penetrate the wood. I suppose using plywood might be better for this piece, but it's heavier than the 5/8" particle board I had on hand.

Now back to the electronics.... I mounted the PWM board and Secret Motor Drive to the hinged motor arm (Photo 3). I think the screen door hinge provides just enough tension to the wheel. Anything more would probably be too much tension. I mounted the arm on top the back piece and secured with with a few screws. I finally got to try out the motor! Plugged the circuit in and nothing happened at 5V. Made sure the PWM module was cranked up all the way, still nothing. Switched to 12V connection and voila! It works. Well sort of. ...

First of all the motor is not supposed to be continuously run at 12V. Since this is just for a few seconds, it probably won't hurt it too much. I played with the switch turning it back and fouth, and I really didn't need to throttle down the motor at all. Like I said before, if you use the GM3 motor you don't need to slow it down. It's geared pretty low. Once in a while I could hear the internal clutch kicking in on the motor. Not good. It seems this motor setup is probably not strong enough for this type of bearing. I think it would work okay in cases where you have a single axle for the rotation, but what I was after was a cheap rotation solution. Which could be mounted to a monitor's existing mechanism. This comes at a cost however because you will need to buy a stronger motor to overcome the friction. The bearing isn't tight, it's just that the combination of the ball bearings in the lazy susan, then the two flange bearings, there's too much friction going on. I used some bicycle wheel hub grease which may have not been the best choice of lube, however I wanted something that wasn't going to evaporate out. If I were to try this route again I would use lighter oil on the bearings. But even without doing so, I think the GM3 motor while perhaps doable, just really isn't a robust solution.

All is not lost however, I have the pololu motor which should be here tomorrow with 10X the power, metal gearbox and is meant to run at 12V. The downside is I need to ditch the secret motor drive so I can use a driver that can handle more amps. I went for an all in one solution, but it wasnt' cheap. This is closer to a $100 solution but that includes the motor, mounting bracket, hub, wheel, and motor driver which can be talked to through USB, serial port, command line, or RJ45. It also has built in PWM which is all software controlled. More on that later. .. RIP GM3
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:37:18 am by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 12:36:37 am »
After my disappointing tests with the Solarbotics GM3 motor, I decided to revisit the bearings I used to support the weight. I concluded that they were a huge source in my friction problem so I took them out. I went to a local hardware store and found some regular caster wheels that had a nut on the axle so I could remove it from it's housing easily. I took the wheel apart, then used a small angle bracket and press fit it on the axle. I could now mount the wheel recessed in the back panel. I know they make these things, but I don't know what they are called nor could I find anything locally. Anyway, this greatly reduced my friction load to the point that I think the GM3 would work... however I have bigger plans. (More on that later.) The recessed wheels or the wheels riding on the edge of the disk is definitely the way to go.

I bought the highest gear ratio of the pololu metal motors and man, let me tell you this thing is AWESOME!!! You can just feel the weigh of the guts on this thing. The mounting with a straight shaft was easier than the GM3 90 degree angle using the same method as I did before. Now to control this sucker I bought their simple motor driver which is even better than the motor! It's 18V7Amps and typically runs on 12V. It cost ~$33 USD.  It has TTL,Serial, RC, Analog, USB, etc. you name it. You can basically talk to this thing however you want. My plan is to talk to it with Autohotkey via USB. It comes with a complete software interface that is super slick to use. It was very easy to use and has tons of tweaks.

I put in some pieces of wood to make a hard limit, then used a magnetic catch on my stops. Once I started using the motor I realized that the limit stops were actually braking the motor, so I removed the magnets and it is SOLID on the stops. There is a "Learn" function in the software so I will actually know the voltage change for your stops. I could not believe how awesome this thing was, so I made a video for you all to see. The first two rotations are at 50% speed, the third 80% and the last one 10%. Anyone want to control their rotation with a joystick? It's doable with this controller! I definitely think this setup is 10X better than the previous one and I am definitely going with this setup. Next up I need to make some progress on the cab, the rotation is done for now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:38:50 am by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:40:26 am »
Never posted a video link so lets see if this works.

First two rotations are at 50% speed, then 80%, then 10%. This is being controlled through the software interface via USB cable. It's a single little board, two arcade microswitches and a motor w/wheel. That's it!

Don't mind my Frosty the Snowman pajamas. Frosty is dope.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:44:59 am by DNA Dan »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:10 am »
 :applaud: :applaud:

Good job!

Is that monitor center of the disc? It looks like it might be a little off center top to bottom in horizontal, but it might be just the angle of the video.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 11:13:36 am »
It's centered on the disk, but not with laser precision. I cut the circle freehand with a jigsaw, so it's not 100% round either. Also the back plate is not the same size as the disk. It's 25" wide, but not tall. I left this room at the top so I could put the motor's wheel there. The top depth is critical because the cab is slim and the wheel might actually hit the back of the cab. Hopefully this isn't an issue down the road.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »
I'm not sure you're going to want to slam the monitor to a stop like it does at 80% or even the 50% speeds.  You might want to consider getting some of those microswitches with the arms on them to give the motor a chance to stop less violently.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »
Yea I think I am going to get a cabinet "soft close" device or something spring loaded. In the long run without it the controller may burn up. It's also bad on the tire.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 06:18:12 pm »
YOu could also add two more slow down limit switches.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »
Ah yes good point. The software has a "acceleration" and "deceleration" adjustment as well. I haven't quite figured out if it knows how close it is to the switch or not. The software acts as though it has an encoder on the motor. Perhaps that's a feature I did not purchase with the motor. At any rate, a what type of switch would I use to trigger a deceleration event? Some type of leaf with a roller at the end?

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 08:01:13 pm »
Well, I dont know what kind of software you are using, but I thought about doing this with MRotate, and I would do it with switch inputs that would make a few degrees before stop. This would kick in a slower speed until stop is made.
I would probably use a roller switch as you mentioned, or a photo emitter receiver such as a mouse or trackball optic (only bigger).
Is the software you are using packaged with the motor you bought? Or is it something you can share?

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 10:59:37 pm »
Here's a link to the software and the controller I am using. http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1372/resources

Anyone can download it, however it was all grayed out and unusable until I plugged the board into the USB cable. The limit switch is set to brake immediate, so I think I will just try to cushion the impact a little bit. The stop actually sounds harder than it really is. I need to get back to the cabinet before I finish the finer details of the rotation. It's hard to play around with it because the motor is on the back and the support wheels protrude out the back. I'd rather just get the cab to the point I can play with the motor more instead of building a rig for it.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 12:38:48 am »
Got stymied by the weather this weekend. I am waiting for some 65 degree weather so I can do my lamination and start assembly, but mother nature was not cooperating. I got most the pieces cut, ordered some more items, and made a custom sound bar out of my old 6.1 speakers. I also completed the base. I think I've decided for a majority of pieces to just screw in from the sides into the edges, then just cover the screw heads with laminate. I hope this doesn't cause the laminate to prematurely bubble at those spots. Anyone have any issues doing this?

I know when done right, laminate never blisters off. Damn weather. :banghead:

Oh yeah, I also found out that a good match to Wilsonart Matte Black #60  laminate is Rustoleum in FLAT black. Not the professional kind. I know it sounds weird, but I tried Satin and the black looks much deeper. For durability might just hit the inside with some clear matte lacquer after painting it flat.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:42:05 am by DNA Dan »

extendedplayarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »
Great video of your rotating lcd

great stuff

can't wait to see more
 :cheers:

Never posted a video link so lets see if this works.

First two rotations are at 50% speed, then 80%, then 10%. This is being controlled through the software interface via USB cable. It's a single little board, two arcade microswitches and a motor w/wheel. That's it!

Don't mind my Frosty the Snowman pajamas. Frosty is dope.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 11:55:07 pm »
Finally a break in the weather this weekend gave me the chance to start my lamination.  :notworthy:

I didn't want to have to piece together the small 1/2" reveal which is all around the cab interior with scraps, because internal bracing would have to be a longer span and if a piece needed to go half on, half off the laminate, it could pose problems later. In addition, I was not very happy with how the painting was going. Rustoleum flat black matches very well, but once you touch it, it shows shadows and oils from your hands. Shooting it with some satin clear lacquer completely changes the color to a much deeper black. I only had two full 4'X8' sheets and doing all the pieces front and back wasn't going to make it. I decided since I am already in this for a small fortune, I might as well just start by laminating the interior of the cab, then purchase more laminate for the outside. This way I don't really have to paint many pieces. Once I started on the laminate I just went to town! This stuff is so easy and fun to work with. For the laminate noobs, I have two sage pieces of advice: 1) A laminate trimmed edge is very sharp! I cut the palm of my hand pretty deep while rubbing my hands over it to make sure it was all set. 2) If you are facing two sides at a 90 degree, make sure the trim bit is set as shallow as you can get it to trim the laminate. Also, run down these cuts fairly quickly.

I laminated the interior of the back wall just up to the control panel, then the entire backside face. I started assembly with one side laying down, truing up the base and securing it with countersunk wood screws. I had completely assembled the base by itself prior to attaching it. I know some people like to do the shelf part, then fill it it with 2X4s later, but I worked on this while I was waiting on the weather and it was completely finished. I will rely on the outside laminate pieces to cover up all the screws heads. I decided this route was easier than a dado cut.  I then used a biscuit jointer down one back side, with wood screws in between. (I know this is overkill, but it completely removes the need for clamping.) I had cut some scrap prior to doing this so I could maintain the depth of the jointer to keep the 1/2" reveal even on both sides. The scrap was used to set the depth for the other side. Now that the meat of the cab is completed, I figure smaller interior pieces can be slipped into place by using a Kreg jig.

Glue, biscuits and screws were sort of a pain, but I didn't need to invest in 10 long wood clamps and once I had stuff lined up, the screws secured it real easy. I feel like I have more control with screws rather than try to clamp 3 large pieces with several clamps. My woodworking skills are good, but not THAT good.  If I had more energy I'd still be out there, but alas, my back is killing from bending over so much. I was having so much fun assembling it. I sure hope it's just as much fun playing it! That's it for this weekend, I think I got a fair amount completed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:58:07 pm by DNA Dan »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 07:25:38 am »
Wow, good job on the laminate! Cant wait to see this baby finished.
And playing the games will be just as much fun as building it, and if it's not, just start on another cab for a friend or relative. A jukebox for the wife would be a fun and worthy project too.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 01:14:44 am »
It was a productive week. Got some more items ordered and quite a bit done.

1) Installed some leveling feet on the bottom of the cab.
2) Installed the top of the cab.
3) Installed the control panel resting area.
4) Test fit the speaker panel.
5) Test fit the monitor aparatus.

Took quite a bit of time making sure the proper reveal was showing around the cab. Some areas you have to account for additional distance, like where the marquee is. The trick is making sure you don't cram the finished corners too close to the t-molding radius edge. I had to throw the monitor on there just to get a feel for the angle and height. I am pleased to say it feels comfortable. My eyes are about level with the top of the monitor. This includes an "admin panel" to take up the extra height. By the time I accounted for the lazy susan aparatus, the monitor depth, some bezel space, 1/4 inch glass, then 1/2" reveal, there wasn't enough depth for the motor to fit on the top. I took the wheel off the motor and the actual motor is still too "thick". I removed the motor and got it test fit pretty good, leaving about 1 inch behind the rotating aparatus. This means I need to relocate the motor to the bottom of the disk. I just don't really see a motor fitting on top of a slim cab unless your lazy susan is really thin, or you recess the monitor into the disk somehow.

Anyway, the usual allotment of photos, I hope you enjoy them. Should be a productive weekend coming up.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:42:39 pm
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 01:28:20 am »
Looking great so far keep up the good work!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:23 am »
Looks great.

What angle is your monitor at?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 03:05:46 pm »
Really great job so far.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 05:05:03 pm »
Looks great.

What angle is your monitor at?

Exactly 15 degrees from the back of the CP vertical plane. I found going further would not fit the rotation aparatus as I built it (Even with the motor relocated). You could bring the bottom forward, but that makes the cab deeper. This is tricky with these slim cabs because the monitor is in a more vertical postion from a normal cab, the result is you get "extra" space on the face of the cabinet which needs to be taken up by an "admin" panel or somethng. The more the monitor is angled, the lower this height can be.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:28:05 pm by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »
Got a lot more done on the cab today....

1) Relocated the pololu motor to the bottom of the rotation aparatus.
2) Panted the rotation mechanism flat black
3) Built the control panel box - painted the interior flat black.
4) Laminated the control panel box
5) Installed the Marquee lights - Novamatrix from GGG with 2 added links for a total of 8 LED modules.
6) Laminated/Installed the Admin panel - Leaving buttons out for now, will revisit this later once CP is figured out
7) Started mounting 6.1 speakers but ran out of screws....

Off to Home Depot tomorrow to order up two more sheets of black laminate. I just love working with that stuff. It gives such a professional look with very clean lines. I need to start my CP layout and get some artwork ordered up. Things are progressing nice. I have to say using the sides of the cab to mount whatever you want is nice. All these screws will be covered by the laminate. Also, making use of the Kreg jig mini is just awesome for pieces you want to be able to remove later. I am using both techniques to add permanent and non-permanent pieces.

The usual round of photos ....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:16:22 pm by DNA Dan »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:29:05 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 09:59:53 am »
Looking good!  :applaud: 6.1 speakers though?  :dizzy:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 11:54:21 am »
You know it's strange. I have this creative 6.1 Audigy card and speakers that are like 10 years old. The speakers all join at the Sub, then there's 3 wires going from the sub to the sound card; Front, Center/sub, and Rear. At first I wired the speakers into two groups of 3 each, and just used them as L/R front channel with the sub plugged in. The sound was very bright, in your face with not much bass. Turning the sub all the way up barely gave the "thud" in Donkey Kong. So I unsoldered the speakers and set them up like 6.1 using all the channels on the sub connection. Low and behold the rear speaker channel is sending a different crossover frequency than the fronts. It's almost as though they are acting as a mid bass. Same thing with the center channel. It's the same sound coming out of all speakers, the center and rear just have more bass to them. I guess it's not a true 6 channel system and the sub is just splitting the channels? If it were completely by frequency I would expect the rears to play different parts, but it doesn't seem to be splitting the sound that way. I dunno, I know it sounds strange, but I just decided to go with this route because I could get more low end out of it. I will probably also use the cab as a jukebox and the 6.1 setup definitely sounded better for regular music.  

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 10:47:06 am »
Looking good!  :applaud: 6.1 speakers though?  :dizzy:

That's a worst-case Ontario, dude.   :cheers:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 04:13:55 pm »
Got a lot done?  You are a madman!  It would take me 2 days minimum to do all that.  I've been building a standalone cp for 10 weeks now.  Won't have to wait long for the finished product at this rate. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »
Started working on the CP top and button layout. Posted a few threads but didn't get any replies.  I am sure most the veterans are sick of these questions. Ordering the art I started thinking the CP box is maybe too wide. I know there are several schools of thought on this, and opinions vary, but I have about 4" on each side of the box to the edge of the cab. Adding in the CP top (Which is a finished width of 36"), 5/8" overhang on either side makes it like 4 5/8" from the edge of the cab. I am only going for 6 buttons for each player, trackball in the middle, and spinner up high in the center. It's nice and spaced out right now, but almost feels like too much room. I am thinking of cutting the box by 6 " and having only ~2" overhang on each side. Your thoughts/opinions on this? Reason I am hesitant is the proportion of the cab may look awkward with a smaller CP. It's a tall cabinet and I don't want it to look like a slim building. :dunno

Other areas I am looking for feedback:
1) I am thinking of admin buttons just below the monitor: 25 cents, 1P, Exit, (on left side), then Pause, 2P, 25 cents,  (on the other side). I have moron friends and want to keep it as simple as stupid can be. I also don't know if I like the coin up being tied to 1P start.

2) How many buttons on the spinner? Two on the right, anything on the left?

3) Do I have dedicated buttons for the trackball? or do you just map to player 2 controls?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:43:38 pm by DNA Dan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 12:54:51 pm »
You are describing the dimensions and layout I associate with Knievel's cabs.  I like this layout and am drawing from it on a CP I'm building.  I was required by my SO to have a 4 way, and the stick, spin, button, button works great, I like it a lot myself.  There is a good diagram of that layout with dimensions in this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=91009.msg955292;topicseen#msg955292

In this layout the three buttons in the top row were coin, start and a mouse button to work with the TB.  I am handling mouse buttons a different way so I am using the 3rd button for P1 for Pause and P2 for Exit game to Mala.  If the exit button becomes a problem I will change it to require a shift key.

The only drawback to this layout is the golden Tee finger jam on the spinner.  I don't play golden tee really.  I chose not to have tab/enter etc. on top of the panel after reading a lot of good input here. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 01:24:39 pm »
Thanks for the link. Yeah I thought I read Knievel's CP top finished out about 34" in width. (EDIT CONFIRMED: See reply #131 in this thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=55789.120 )

I figured since my cab is about 3-4 inches higher up than his, that I should extend this out to 36". In the little devil build he's at about 32".

I think I need to chop about 4" off the side.  :angry: Should be straightforward to make an internal end piece and Kreg it in there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:32:49 pm by DNA Dan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »
I think he did 36 on his full sizes and 34 on the woody style cab.  I'm 34" on top and I had to make the 4way/spinner section tighter than I wanted, it's ok though.

I plan to do a build thread but take a look at the attached preview of my cp.  It expands from 24" to 34" when the center section is used.

It is built with putting it on a future slim cab in mind, stoked to see how you turn out. 

Nephasth

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »
It expands from 24" to 34" when the center section is used.

Tits. :)

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:50 pm »
thanks Nep but I think I thread jacked too much - apologies to DNA Dan and if it distracts from the real topic I'll edit it off.  Got excited to show DNA my idea since we are working along parallel lines on slim, rotating LCD cabs.  On with the program . . .

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2011, 02:09:05 pm »
Not hijacked at all man. It really helps to see how others have done it. I have my admin buttons up below the monitor, so I won't need the top row of buttons. Since my panel is only 12 1/2" deep, I am actually putting the joysticks higher up so I have more rest area for my wrists.

In terms of width, it looks like you still have plenty of room even at 34". Since I don't have a dedicated 4-way, (just a spinner up there) I think I can go 32" on top. May post some pics to see the difference in proportion.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2011, 02:16:53 pm »
I agree with what you're saying.  Without the admin's and the 4 way to worry about, you are going to have plenty of good real estate.  It's a compromise to get it right between an aircraft carrier and a knuckle buster.  I like a good amount of handrest area.  I was excited about a mini tabletop cocktail for a few days, but by the time i realized what size the CP areas would have to be to be enjoyable to actually play, the whole cab would have been way out of proportion. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2011, 04:00:55 pm »
Alrighty Jimmy, I whacked it. Ended up taking off about 3 1/2 inch from the right side. Here are some before and after pics. Before on top, after on bottom. The CP box is now 31" finished width and the top is 32 1/2". This gives about 3/4" overhang on the edges, in the front corners, then curves out to 1 1/2 inch in the middle front.

Hated to have to chop finished work, but eh, once I am done with the cab I am going to have to live with it. Better now than later.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »
It looked good before and it looks good now.  I think it's an improvement, esp. looking at the slagcoin templates.  At the wider size things were getting a little lost.  FWIW I like more separation between the stick and buttons than slagcoin's templates usually show.  I'm not arcade accurate but about 3/4" more feels better to me.  Good move to keep the front curve, looks better than straight or clipped corners in my opinion.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2011, 04:34:09 pm »
I agree with you 100% about the slag coin templates. If you notice those papers are the 8 button layout and instead of removing the right two buttons, I was playing with removing the two buttons closest to the joysticks and keeping the furthermost 6 buttons. I have a fairly large hand and the buttons next to the joystick just feel a bit too close. I just need to make sure I have enough room for the trackball and spinner now. That is such a hard guess because I see people really allow for a lot of room on those controls.

BTW, How did you put the black edging on your artwork? Is that part of the artwork or an overlay?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:36:58 pm by DNA Dan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2011, 04:38:19 pm »
Since you have the room, consider offsetting the spinner, maybe placing it high and half way between the trackball and p1 or trackball and P2.  I can't see not centering the trackball.  It's just too . . . central.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »
The whole cp was painted black then the black areas were masked prior to the CF paint.

emb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2018, 02:01:19 pm
    • Don Honerbrink
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2011, 09:07:22 pm »
What are the dimensions of the base of your cabinet?

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2011, 12:13:31 am »
What are the dimensions of the base of your cabinet?

The finished dimensions will be 20" deep (minus t-molding) X 26 1/2" wide.

The reveal all around is 1/2" except on the CP top and the marquee area.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2011, 12:34:12 am »
More updates in preparation for a warmer weekend. I should be able to laminate some more pieces tomorrow. Someone on the forum mentioned frozenCPU.com and I stupidly decided to check it out...  :banghead:  :banghead: :banghead: Must have dropped about $150 in fans, wiring harnesses, controls, molex connections, sleeving, etc. etc. That place is just insane. Should really make for a clean internal wiring job though! Also bought a new desktop computer so I can take the current one I am typing on and install it in the cab. It's a C2D E8500  Wolfdale core running on a ROG Rampage Formula. Should have enough beef for almost everything in MAME. Got my artwork ordered up through gameongrafix. Other progress...

1) Cutout holes for fans. (Scythe S-Flex with manual variable control)
2) Installed Fans with dampening gaskets
3) Installed wire finger guards.
4) Installed/laminated lower keyboard support. This is two pieces of laminated boards lapped together then glued about 2" offset.
5) Fabricated keyboard shelf
6) Cut/Dry fit keyboard face plate
7) Cut/Dry fit lower access door

As a side project I am going to play with automatic switching 4/8 way on a U360. I have some ideas using motors. More on this later.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:36:47 am by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 01:07:36 am »
Got held up due to weather again. This weekend was quite productive. I changed the way the keyboard tray hinges. I didn't like it on the keyboard tray itself. The reason for doing so in the first place was to make sure it doesn't get in the way when typing. I moved it to the lower support, with the piano hinge painted black. I dont' think it's noticeable unless you get under the cab. Summary of updates..

1) Move piano hinge for keyboard tray.
2) Laminated keyboard tray/Completed tray installation.
3) Laminated Lower door.
4) Installed coin mech.
5) Installed lower door hinges.
6) Installed lever clamp to hold door.
7) Laminated back of CP top, started drilling for controls.
8) Completed speaker wiring, glued speaker fabric.
9) Bent some aluminum L bracket, painted black for Marquee retainers.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 05:29:04 am »
Looking good.
I like the way you are doing the keyboard. I have never put one on any of my machines, but this has me thinking about it for the next one.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:20 am »
That stuff probably took you, what, 45 minutes?!!   :applaud:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:00 am »
Looking good.
I like the way you are doing the keyboard. I have never put one on any of my machines, but this has me thinking about it for the next one.

Thanks. I have magnetic catches in each corner holding it closed, but this poses a problem because I cannot open it when the CP is in place. The gaps are just too small to get a finger in there. I mean it's nice that it fits so flush and tight, but I really didn't want to ruin the face by putting a handle there. It's already looking like "something other than an original arcade" and I think a handle would look terrible. I might swap out the catches for the type that you used to see on stereo cabs. The ones you push in and they pop out. I just need to be able to get my finger on it so I can swing it down.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:55 am »
That stuff probably took you, what, 45 minutes?!!   :applaud:

Psh.. More like 3-4 days. I find myself obsessing over measurements and positions before I actually make any cuts. It's very easy to waste material and have to redo things. It sure is awesome when the results come out as intended though.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 12:10:40 pm »
Love it.   :cheers:

JcProAm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2021, 10:33:47 pm
  • I Like Ponies.
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 03:04:44 pm »
Looks Amazing!!!!!!  You've given me a lot of inspiration,  I've been lurking watching all the builds trying to get a feel for how to i want to build mine. 
Thanks!!!! :afro:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2011, 12:51:17 am »
Once I decided on a CP layout the rest went pretty quick. I drilled out all the buttons, trackball, joysticks and spinner. All that is remaining is the admin panel, but I need to test cut a few holes in finished laminate since it's already been finished. I dry fit all the pieces and it's good to go.

I found an easy way to top mount my U360's. When I had my button templates taped to the CP, I drilled a very small pilot hole for the joystick. I then cut out all my buttons and removed the template. Then I measured a 2 1/2" square centered on the pilot hole. Cut this out with a jig saw super fast. After placing the joystick in the hole with the top plate now sitting flat on the surface, you can then use the top plate as a tracing template. I simply took a thick sharpie and traced it out. I know a lot of people talk about using jigs and such, but if you're just building a single cabinet, try to freehand with the router. The trick is holding it with a firm grip when you start or stop it so it doesn't jerk in your hand. I tested the depth on some scrap then went for it. By having a thick black sharpie line it was relatively easy to see where the router was cutting. Also by having a thick line to cut into, I could better guage the degree to which I was "loosening" the hole. If I just touched the inside of the line, I knew it would be snug. If I veered to the outside I knew I was really stretching it. I think you get the idea. I ended up with anywhere from 1/16-1/8" around the top plate. I was very happy with the first square hole being "tight" because the joystick feel very solid, evey without screws. This should hopefully take most the pressure off the mounting screws.

More photos with the monitor attached for the money shot :lol

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2011, 12:55:49 am »
This thing is really starting to look great.  Nice seeing it all come together!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2011, 01:13:51 am »
I like the CP... the lines are clean with lots of controller options.  :applaud:

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2011, 09:01:27 am »
Looking good, DNA Dan.  What $ do you think you have in to the rotation system?

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2011, 11:30:50 am »
The rotation was only about $100

The most expensive parts so far (in order of expense)

1) Computer (I bought a new desktop to replace my current one.)
2) Controls, joysticks, trackball, buttons, etc.
3) Monitor

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2011, 03:55:11 pm »
I'm a bit conflicted.  I overspent a bit on the cp and still need another $40 or so to finish the driving and flight stick panels . . . . but, the slim cab w/rotation is looking mighty tasty. 

I know I could finish a working cab, (painted, no big art $) for $200 or so with the CP, Monitor, PC I have already. Plus another $100 for rotation hardware.   I already have wood, fasteners, etc.  Very tempting.   Why don't you finish yours up so I can have a look at it and make up my mind :).

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 03:11:32 pm »
Ok, In all seriousness, let me make sure I have this right:

• Pololu gear motor - fed by 12v dc power supply through the motor controller
  • Pololu motor controller - controlled by USB via the Pololu software
  • You're going to send your rotate commands to the Pololu software via AHK as directed by Hyperspin.
  • Between microswitch type limit switches and the Pololu software, you're handling braking, stopping and holding at the limits

No H Bridge, no parallel port, no slowdown zone switches.  What am I missing?  If I understand what you're doing, this is a very elegant and easy to implement solution that I am going to have to copy.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »
That's pretty much the jist of it. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get hyperspin to initiate the AHK command based on orientation of the game. I know other folks have used a batch file or list which HS looks up the game, than acts on it, but from what I can tell HS will not do this directly like Mala can. This is supposed to be a supported feature in HS version 2.0. There is Haterot's "hyperrotate" plugin which essentially does this for usage with Mrotate, but I would need to adapt that to just issue a simple command through an AHK script I wrote. Unfortunately that is beyond my skills.

In the wait for HS 2.0, I figure I can at least just have a shifted button function on my Minipac trigger my AHK script. 

It really is pretty basic, and the software components from Pololu are already there in place to use through AHK.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2011, 04:29:28 pm »
Better yet Jimmy, for your project I don't know how you motorized the control panel, but you can daisy chain the Pololu motor controllers together (only one motor per board) and control them both through the same command line utility using AHK. The boards have different assignable IDs. You can basically add several boards together and control multiple motors all from the same SMCCMD session.

Also you don't even have to use their motors as long as the motor you are using is within their specs for the board. The jewel here is the board, and the SMCCMD software that is already written and free to download.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:31:18 pm by DNA Dan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2011, 07:37:24 pm »
I don't know how you motorized the control panel

The CP is not motorized, manual only.  The easiest way would be direct drive of the center gear right under the panel.  I wouldn't be comfortable doing it without some type of safety edge or a really soft shear pin in the driveline somewhere.  My kids are 6 and 8 but they still get into plenty of trouble.  Something to keep in mind for the future, though.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get hyperspin to initiate the AHK command ..... directly like Mala can.

I'm pretty heavily invested in Mala and am going to do some quick research on AHK calls, etc.  but I agree it should already be a feature.  I'm working with a beater PC, but when I add more emulators/get a better pc I will be looking at HS.

This is the closest to a plug and play rotation solution out of all the five or seven systems I've looked at in depth.   8)

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2011, 08:24:34 pm »
The CP is not motorized, manual only.  The easiest way would be direct drive of the center gear right under the panel.  I wouldn't be comfortable doing it without some type of safety edge or a really soft shear pin in the driveline somewhere.  My kids are 6 and 8 but they still get into plenty of trouble.  Something to keep in mind for the future, though.

Not motorized!! Come on man. The only two scenarios I see that panel "opening up" under are:

1) Hit a rocket fire type switch and sirens on the top go off. You then hear air raid sirens getting louder and louder as you are presented with a "vault" that opens up.

2) You hit a button and hear the "transformers" sound as the panel opens up. You know the one effect that plays when the bots are changing?

There are motors you can buy that will stop or change direction when they encounter any big amount of resistance. The would keep from jamming fingers or chopping them off. You could also wire a switch inside the cab under lock and key that can engage or disengage the circuit. Oooh a lock switch for firing a missle ala #1 would be killer. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2011, 08:43:24 pm »
here you go

except with the "Go Baby Go" instead of "nitrous". 

I was telling some dude here about thinking about making something like a dining room table fold up center leaf, that would be the shiz.  Too hard in so many respects to be worthwhile.  Fun to dream. 

I do really like the idea of having a gun cab where the guns are behind panels that slide out of the sides or front of the cab a la robocop leg holster

and that would have to be motorized for sure. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2011, 01:19:24 am »
Well it's great to finally be winding down on the number of things I need to order! It's also nice to actually start breaking out my new controls and wiring stuff. Still waiting on artwork to proceed with the control panel. Should go fast once I get that because I am working around things I don't have yet. I ripped off EVEgames custom buttons with the ultralux buttons and decals from pongo for the admin panel. I added my own twist to it however. Instead of painting the inside of the button hole, I taped off the button edge and spray painted the backside of the button black. This way when viewed from the top the black is glossy and uniform. List of more items completed this weekend:

1) Installed speaker panel.
2) Wired fans and speaker wires into sleeving.
3) Wired AC power into cab, covered contacts with protective box, mounted surge protector.
4) Started wiring coin door.
5) Cutout admin button holes
6) Painted ultralux buttons, installed insert decals (thanks Pongo and EVEgames!).
7) Formatted computer, overclocked the CPU and setup Hyperspin.
EIGHT) Cut acrylic for control panel

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2011, 01:44:50 am »
Looks like you made a lot of progress this weekend.  Great idea with the buttons... just from seeing the coin button it turned out great!  I'll definitely keep that technique in mind for when I start my cab!

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2011, 01:57:25 am »
Details, details, details. Man there's just so many things to think of building a solid cab. I finally got my glass and decided to mount it in the cab using an "s" shaped metal catch just behind the admin panel. For the sides, I decided to let it rest on wheels. This is nice because the glass just rolls into place and rests on the wheels. I used some small nylon wheels that are made for shower doors. I ended up using www.onedayglass.com and I ordered my piece 1/8" short so it would fit with 1/16" on the sides. I figured too small is better than too big. Onedayglass has a +/-1/16" tolerance on their cutting, but I have to say after measuring, it's spot on the dimension I said I wanted. This place rocks! With the glass mounts ready and artwork in hand, I finally decided on a t-molding color. Placed another order for supplies with twistedquarter.com (I love this store!) which should be pretty much the last specialty type order of supplies I will need. In summary:

1) Installed glass mounts.
2) Mounted Pololu motor driver board, wired it up.
3) Made holes for CP wire passthrough and bolt mounting for CP.

Next few posts should be pretty exciting. I have a lot of smaller things cut and prepared just waiting for different parts here and there. It's like setting up dominoes! I have been doing what I can, with what I have on hand. This post took a while because I built a new desktop computer which I am typing on now. Wish I could use this monster in my cab, but after prepping my older desktop computer, I think the E8400 is going to be plenty powerful for a majority of what I will be playing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:04:01 am by DNA Dan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2011, 09:15:35 am »
I think the inserted artwork buttons are going to become somewhat standard. I'm sensing some backlash lately against full-on lit buttons.  are you doing the panel buttons or the admin buttons only?  if its a mix, the coordination between the two types is going to be nice with the black back-painting.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2011, 09:55:22 am »
IMO any kind of lighting on the CP or "in your face" is distracting while playing. I chose a fairly simple color scheme, pretty much all black buttons on a busy artwork background. To spice it up a bit I decided to light the Admin panel buttons only. I also went with 5vdc buttons and tried to minimize the intensity with painting the backsides. I did this primarily as way to make it more intuitive to visitors. I want it to be very clear what the player needs to do to navigate the menus.

In regard to aesthetics, I like the artwork backed buttons. However in terms of functionality I don't think I could play on them for very long. I am an "old school gamer" and anything NOT concave is simply unacceptable to me as a playing button. I would only suggest their use as an admin type button, but that's just personal preference. I really don't like the feel of those button types all that much either.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2011, 12:07:53 pm »
Dan:
Do I need to order anything else from Pololu besides this list:
Motor
bracket for motor
wheel/tire
motor control interface

Their shipping is pretty high (15% of order value, Ouch) and I don't want to do it twice if I can avoid it.  Thanks.

it looks like a computer power supply will work for everything? I have an old one available I'm hoping to use.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »
This is the exact controller I bought: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1372 Be sure the one you get uses SMCCMD and AHK.

You will need a USB A to mini-B cable to attach to the board. This is mentioned in the description halfway down the page.

I also picked up some crimp connectors for attaching to the pins on the board: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1900 they also come in 1X3. The pins are purchased separately as well. You don't have to use these, but it makes your build a higher quality, not to mention being able to remove the board easily if need be.

For the motor, the images in this link shows the exact setup I am using: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1107
The bracket, wheel and HUB are all sold separately. I didn't see the hub in your list, so if you buy this motor you'll need these: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1083

Notice the hub and wheels do not come with screws. Just set screws to attach it to the motor. I had to pick these screws up at a hardware store locally.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2011, 06:45:44 pm »
Thanks for the detailed info and thanks for pioneering a good system. 

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2011, 07:58:07 pm »
Among other things, this project is doing a really good job of making mine look incredibly pedestrian and ordinary...  :P

Somewhat more seriously, Dan, how much internal clearance does that setup require?  I'm not going to start making mods tomorrow or anything, but I'm definitely interested in duping your rotation setup one of these years... the cab I've got under construction (same monitor as yours) has about 24.5" internal width.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »
I ordered the motor with the encoder, we'll see if there is anything interesting to play with there.  And, you shamed me into getting the 1/10" female pins - I was going to solder to the bent up pins like a knucklehead.  Damn your do it right the first time attitude!

Prepare to provide tech support.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2011, 09:13:17 pm »
Prepare to provide tech support.

Great.. I'll provide what I can. It's good to know I'm not the only one on this course :cheers:

Alfonzotan, no worries man. It has it's share of blemishes and mistakes. You just have to crop those out of the photo!

In terms of internal clearance for the rotation, the HP LP2065 has a maximum diagonal width of ~22". That would be the least the internal width could be. Again this is a 20" 4:3 monitor, so you could go smaller. In terms of depth, the motor wheel is only like 4 or 5" in diameter, so any way you can see to get the rotation in there, that's about as "slim" as you could go. Some things to consider are the monitor thickness, the bezel, and the viewing angle. I chose to not recess the monitor on the rotation disk so that I could remove it easier. This choice however added thickness. I also chose to angle the monitor more than usual for these types of cabs. This too added some thickness. So I think the best strategy is to try and do a mock up as much as possible of the rotation design you have in mind and how "thin" you could make it.

The extra few inches on my cab width are because I want to fully conceal the cab interior *while* the monitor is rotating. Look on the first page of the thread (POST #11) and you'll see a rotation diagram showing this "added" space to conceal the interior of the cab when the monitor is in transition. I am going to make a circular bezel, with the monitor rectangle cut out of the center. This will be glued to the monitor face, then the face will rest directly against the glass. (That's the plan anyway!)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:16:06 pm by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2011, 01:21:42 am »
Made some good progress last weekend but I am lagging on the photos. Had to work out some kinks on my new desktop and migrate a bunch of files. Here's a short recap:

1) Painted glass outer bezel - Used frog tape for the edges, shot with rustoleum flat black then overlaid some satin lacquer. I noticed the paint still wanted to tear on the shower door wheels, so I ran a piece of electrical tape down the inside edge to protect the paint.

2) Continued on control panel....
    A) Mounted joysticks recessed from the top
    B) Recessed trackball
    C) Cutout CP overlay
    D) Installed buttons
    E) Started wiring up the positive side but ran out of connectors.

3) Finished the lower bezel trim
4) T-Slotted the whole cab
5) Continued banging out the software details. This is just endless!

That's it for now - keeping the artwork hidden until I finish it out with t-molding. Nothing spectacular or original I must say. Next update from this weekend should be quick with some big advances.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2011, 11:48:15 am »
I'm coming along after you.  I got my pololu stuff auto rotating under Mala with DaOldMan's assist.  It's not too late for you to cross over to the Mala darkside, at least until HS 2.0 comes out in 2013 . . .. .  >:D

The Plain Old is looking fine and is inspiring me.  My wife/kids are going to the inlaws here in a week or two, for a week, and the mdf dust is going to fly. 

keeping the artwork hidden until I finish it out with t-molding.

Any clues on the top secret artwork?  I noticed you took the time to paint the top of the CP black.  . . .  . . . . . . . . ............ . . . . . .... what's the real marquee name of the thing - decided yet?

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2011, 12:17:12 pm »
This is just endless!

Yep... definitely know how THAT feels...

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2011, 01:09:50 pm »
I ordered the motor with the encoder, we'll see if there is anything interesting to play with there. 

To wrap the encoder issue up, I can get voltage pulses off the quadrature encoder but don't have any way to use them.  I would have to upgrade to the next level up of Pololu motor controller (Jrok?) to have the capability to receive the feedback input.  I'm not sure the drivetrain (gearmotor to relatively large wheel, then a friction drive on a huge wheel on a fairly sloppy bearing) would have enough precision to use the feedback for location/limit purposes. I suspect it would be easy to have it get off over time unless the starts and brakes were super soft, and that's no fun. We'll have to leave that to the stepper motor guys. 

However, the limit switch thing works very well and I'm totally happy.  Having the analog input and usb input on the same controller board is dynamite and makes it very easy.  I haven't experimented with speeds much yet, but I have no problem getting my mock up to stop tight to the switches and the gearing holds it solidly. 

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2011, 02:29:33 pm »

Nice job!  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.  Love the simplicity of the rotating LCD.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
Arcade Classics!
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »
Been busy battling the finishing touches. I found out I have two major problems to deal with. 1) I decided to route the DVI and power cords like Jimmy through the center of the disk. This makes the most sense, as I played with front mounting the wires they just kept binding in the physical limit mech I have. Took the mech all apart then realized that the DVI connector would not fit through the 4" lazy susan bearing I chose to use. DOH!~! So now I have to move up to the next largest size that can fit the wires through them, then re-drill all the mounting holes for the disk and mounts. What a pain.. 2) After all my sexy painting work, I found that the bezel as I painted it is not thick enough. I can just see the corners of the inner mask. I had to scrape the paint off with a blade and still need to re-paint it. Apparently everything isn't as square as it should be. So lessons learned. . . . .

1) If you want to route the wires for the monitor through the bearing, make sure the wires fit and do this as part of the rotation mech design.
2) Install glass and tape on the face where you need to paint. Then take it off, flip it over and paint your lines. 

In terms of progress...
1) Installed T-molding
2) Mounted CP hinge and chain
3) Mounted CP to cab
4) Installed admin panel
5) Installed admin buttons
6) Completed marquee

Overall I am about 85% there. Still need to finish internal wiring to the PC, then deal with this rotation mech issue and the bezel.

I know the artwork is about as un-original as one can get, these graphics have been slathered on many cabs. However I just love the simplicity of the design. It feels like an arcade cab and isn't OVERLY glam. Feels like a happy medium and best yet, the wife likes it!

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »
Good stuff m'man.

blue coin return buttons = tasty.
Plastic laminate work looks good and is going to pay off in the long run with durability. 
Art is tried and true, people here have seen it but it's quality and any civilians will be blown right the smurf away. 
painted interior of cab and cp = craftsmanship.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »
FINALLY!!!

After all the guests of summer and a much needed summer vacation it's arcade heaven for me guys! The final details I needed to push the project to completion were:

1) Bezel- This was a major PITA. Basically it was a matte board cut into a circle with the monitor cut out 1/4" smaller. I then did the same thing with black foam board but made it the same size as the monitor bezel. I glued the two pieces so there was a 1/4" lip that sat on the monitor. This was later hot glued to the whole monitor so its floating with the monitor. I added an Aimtrak which further complicated the install.
2) Rotation hinge - I had to completely rework this with a larger diameter hinge, (see previous post)
3) Software - This is a constant work in progress. You veterans know how this goes.

The final setup:
Hyperspin FE with all the best emulated systems

ALL ULTIMARC CONTROLS - Andy's stuff is simply the best. I am using U360's, Minipac, U-Trak, Spintrak, Gold leaf buttons (which I have grown to absolutely LOVE.) and Ultralux illuminated with a custom insert.

Pololu SMC motor and simple controller. Here is the code I wrote to manually assign the rotation to a shifted button.

#n::
RunWait, %COMSPEC% /c smccmd --resume --speed 1500, ,{enter}
return

#m::
RunWait, %COMSPEC% /c smccmd --resume --speed -1500, ,{enter}
return

This runs the command hidden with just a DOS CMD window flash. I had a hard time getting this to execute while I was in game. I could not get the code right to bring MAME back into focus on top. So I just decided to keep it as a manual button press until Hyperspin 2.0 comes out. I just didn't want to make a lookup list and all that jazz.
Here's some final shots. I am very please with how it turned out. I will post a video next of the rotation.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:33:26 pm by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:04 pm »
Here's a video showing the rotation based on button presses. The camera had a hard time focusing on the color of the screen. The HP2065 is a very nice monitor for these projects.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Excellent work.  :cheers: I was surprised to see you rotating clockwise.  I ended up doing everything counterclockwise to get the better viewing angle for player 1.  Your monitor has a better bottom viewing angle by far than my old viewsonic.   

HS is quite cool.  You would think that even though all their layouts are horizontal they might come up with a patch or something to rotate on game start and rotate back to horizontal on game exit for mame.  Especially considering how commercial their operation is.  Hopefully Dazz and crew are already on that. I think it would go a long way even though the vertical layout thing is a huge shift from how they are set up.  Maybe they could still run the horizontal layouts in a reduced area of the screen when the aspect is vertical.  If they address this I might have to upgrade the PC and bask in the bling!

Is it bogging down a little bit in the last quarter of the rotation to vertical? 
How much clearance do you have between the face of the matte board and the back of the glass?

Inspirational stuff.  Switchcade is in paint right now, interior done and starting on the stripes now.  It's going slowly.  Hard to get motivated when the garage stays 85 degrees plus.  I need to order bezel glass. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
Supposedly Hyperspin 2.0 is going to have the monitor rotation feature on game launch added to it. This is what I am hoping at least.

I never noticed the bog down, but I think you're right. The cables might be binding as they twist. I'll have to investigate this some more. The face of the screen was right up on the glass, so I actually had to de-case the monitor to gain an  extra 1/2". By the time you add the bezel matte in there it's probably around 3/8" from the glass.

I don't know if 1/4" glass would be my first choice next time. It's very heavy in the size I got. Also it seems to have a lot of glare if there are any lights around. No problems with the aimtrak. I guess most arcades were kept dark and dingy to improve the playing experience. 

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
Nice work!  :applaud:  This looks great!

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

vast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2023, 07:18:57 pm
Very nice man!  :notworthy:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
How's it going out there?  having fun with the plain old Arcade?  I ended up following your lead (yet again) on the screen door spring hinge.  After final assembly with the spring mounted flat, I was back to getting some slippage between the wheels.   I preloaded the spring by putting an extra block in, so that the two leaves of the hinge are perpendicular to start with.  Rock solid now.  Of course, the monitor wheel is no longer touching the two little support wheels, but they'll still be there if the spring ever calms down.   :cheers:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
Re: **COMPLETED***Just plain old ARCADE - Slim, LCD, w/rotation (Lots of photos!)
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2011, 01:19:19 pm »
Been busy with some family matters so haven't had much time to dive into my binding issue. I did notice that the drag seems to come from the twisting of the cables. They are in there loose, so I don't know why they get like that mid stream in the rotation. I tried glueing some sanpaper to the back of the disk to give the wheel some more traction, but it still wants to slip occaisionally. I also upgraded the wheel to the largest size Pololu had thinking it would gain more surface area on the disk. This didn't help much either. I am starting to think the screen door hinge just isn't enough tension on the wheel. Did you add an extra wind on the spring? I am thinking a door hinge with the ability to set the tension might be a better choice for this, this way you can adjust it when it gets loose. Over time I assume that's bound to happen. Something like this: http://www.hingeoutlet.com/spring_hinges_residential.htm

Or even a gate hinge with a beefier spring.

I suppose another approach would be to "backload" the cables a half rotation so they only twist 45 degrees in each direction. At any rate, after a few rotations my traction on that tire just isn't as "tight" as it was originally.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:33:14 pm by DNA Dan »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Re: **COMPLETED***Just plain old ARCADE - Slim, LCD, w/rotation (Lots of photos!)
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2011, 02:17:15 pm »
Just had a eureka moment:  To answer your question, I feel like starting with the screen door hinge preloaded by having it "open" to 90 degrees has eliminated contact between the wheels (traction), as a problem for me.  I am using the 90mm (black) pololu wheel/tire and 120 grit sandpaper on the monitor disk.  it actually spins out at one end because I didn't run the sandpaper completely to the end of travel, so the wheel slips on the painted mdf of the monitor disk for a second until it grabs enough to get to the sandpaper.  fixable. I feel my cables now have zero impact on rotation and I haven't been paying attention to where they are, or if they are positioned at 45 degrees like I was before.  

here's the A-Ha thing:  as it stands my wheel and spring are pushing the monitor disk away from the monitor support at the bottom.  the bearing works best if it's two plates are co-planar.  right now, I am probably binding at the top of the bearing (motor/spring on the bottom) and am just overcoming that drag with torque.  

There is any easy solution to this, but an extra castor wheel on the monitor side of the monitor disk, opposite the motor, so the main spring has something to push against without getting the bearing out of alignment.  it would take any alignment stress off the bearing.  I'm going to give it a try tonight.  fortunately, I ended up making the monitor disk big enough that I can clear the corner of the monitor.   I bet this is a possibility for you, esp. since you used a smaller bearing.  Once you have good traction the cables are no longer an issue.

I have used those spring hinges before on doors and they are plenty strong for this application. I agree that you will be able to get more oomph from them than the screen door hinge if spring pressure turns out to be the issue.  Hope all is well with your family.  

Edit:  I looked at this last night but the castor i had on hand was too big to fit. will pick up another one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:03:55 am by TopJimmyCooks »

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2011, 03:27:20 am »
Good work dude, very good work  :cheers:
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2011, 10:52:54 pm »
Thanks for the nice feedback guys.

I hear what you're saying about the hinge working best when the plates are co-planar. I tried my best to get the height just right on the support casters, but I think I have about a 1/8" deflection. I would have liked to mount the motor on the top, but the slim cab depth doesn't really allow for that. I had another thought last night.. What about mounting the motor closer to the center of the disk? I like how you carved out the support frame and it seems very feasible to just have the tire run on a smaller track closer to the center of the disk. You'd have to decrease the motor speed to maintain the same rate of rotation, but that motor can certainly handle it.

Lots of options,  but I have to pull the whole thing to get at it. Sort of regret not putting a "back door" on the cabinet at this point. DOH!

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2011, 12:09:10 pm »
Finally got the time to re-work the rotation setup on my monitor. I did exactly as you stated Jimmy. I added a piece of birch wood perpendicular to the back of the moving motor piece. I used angle brackets to hold it in place, (I didn't think glue would suffice over time.) The hinge is now preloaded 90 degrees and that sucker is rock solid. Rotation is much smoother now. My only fear is that tire getting beat to hell over time from so much pressure. It seems like a decent quality tire, but even when the arcade is off, there's pressure being put on it. Anyways, thanks for the tip and noobs beware, you need a fair amount of pressure on that tire to rotate your setup if you aren't using a single axle for rotation.

Overall I am very happy with this setup. It's about a $100 rotation solution, but you have to have some skills in mechanics to line everything up just right.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:17 pm »
I have been working more on the software side of the rotation with the AHK commands that this motor uses. For those of you who are interested, I was able to integrate the rotation commands directly into Hyperlaunch for use in Hyperspin. You can rotate within game or within hyperspin with a simple hotkey without MAME quiting. I just use the MAME menu to permanently keep vertical games rotated CCW90 degrees. When I load a game that is sideways, I just hit the hotkey (shifted button on my Ipac.) This seems the best I can do without using a batch file or lookup list for vertical games. (A bit beyond my skills at the moment.) Still hoping HS2.0 is going to have a better solution that I can integrate so it happens automajically.

Forgive my rookie code, I am not a coder but it works for me! This replaces the entire MAME section in your Hyperlaunch file. The n:: and m:: are the hotkeys that you can change to whatever you like. Also note the speed. This may be too fast or slow for your setup.

;*************************************MAME**************************************

else if (systemName = "MAME" && executable = "mame.exe")
{
    hideDesktop()
    Runwait, %executable% %romName%, %EmuPath%, Hide UseErrorLevel

Keywait, D
n::
RunWait, %COMSPEC% /c smccmd --resume --speed 1500, ,{enter},hide
Winhide, Hyperspin
WinActivate, MAME,
return

Keywait, D
m::
RunWait, %COMSPEC% /c smccmd --resume --speed -1500, ,{enter},hide
Winhide, Hyperspin
WinActivate, MAME,
return

Process, waitClose, %executable%
    exitapp
}

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2011, 07:11:09 am »
I have been working more on the software side of the rotation with the AHK commands that this motor uses. For those of you who are interested, I was able to integrate the rotation commands directly into Hyperlaunch for use in Hyperspin. You can rotate within game or within hyperspin with a simple hotkey without MAME quiting. I just use the MAME menu to permanently keep vertical games rotated CCW90 degrees. When I load a game that is sideways, I just hit the hotkey (shifted button on my Ipac.) This seems the best I can do without using a batch file or lookup list for vertical games. (A bit beyond my skills at the moment.) Still hoping HS2.0 is going to have a better solution that I can integrate so it happens automajically.

Forgive my rookie code, I am not a coder but it works for me! This replaces the entire MAME section in your Hyperlaunch file. The n:: and m:: are the hotkeys that you can change to whatever you like. Also note the speed. This may be too fast or slow for your setup.

;*************************************MAME**************************************

else if (systemName = "MAME" && executable = "mame.exe")
{
    hideDesktop()
    Runwait, %executable% %romName%, %EmuPath%, Hide UseErrorLevel

Keywait, D
n::
RunWait, %COMSPEC% /c smccmd --resume --speed 1500, ,{enter},hide
Winhide, Hyperspin
WinActivate, MAME,
return

Keywait, D
m::
RunWait, %COMSPEC% /c smccmd --resume --speed -1500, ,{enter},hide
Winhide, Hyperspin
WinActivate, MAME,
return

Process, waitClose, %executable%
    exitapp
}

Chillinwater over on the HyperSpin forum was kind enough to write an AHK script for automatically switching my Ultimarc Magstiks from 4-way to 8-way etc automatically using a servo.

I would think the same script could be changed quite easily for your horizontal / vertical monitor rotation.

You would need to have a list of all the vertical games and then just swap anything that related to 4-way in his script to vertical and anything relating to 8-way to horizontal.

Here is a link to my thread on HyperSpin: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11271&highlight=4way

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2011, 11:50:22 am »
Awesome! Thanks for the link. This should be doable. I just need to make a list of all vertical games in romlister then change the hotkey command lines in the code chillinwater wrote to enter the hotkeys through a hidden command prompt like I am currently doing. Unfortunately I only have the simple motor controller and it only supports smccmd, not umccmd. You need to have the Maestro controller for the umccmd functionality. I think this is the missing piece of software I have been hoping for!

Not entirely there though. I need to make the vertical games all have a CCW90 rotation in MAME. Is there an easy way to do this? If I understand the method correctly, the list is simply sending commands to the motor, not actually changing the screen orientation.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:01:50 pm by DNA Dan »

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »
If I understand the method correctly, the list is simply sending commands to the motor, not actually changing the screen orientation.

Yeah, just commands for the motor.

You then should be launching MAME with the following command -autorol

These options are designed for use with pivoting screens that only pivot in a single direction. If your screen only pivots clockwise,
use -autorol to ensure that the game will fill the screen either horizontally or vertically in one of the directions you can handle.
If your screen only pivots counter-clockwise, use -autoror.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2011, 01:20:07 am »
Thanks again Retroborg, I tried converting the code but encountered a lot of weirdness. I could not get the reset portion of the code to work for me. It seems like I don't really need that, since every time I will be exiting a game, I will want to be in the horizontal position for Hyperspin. So really the reset is just activation of the "Horizontal" code.

The best I could do is rotation to vertical, with no horizontal on exit for vertical games. Then no vertical, stay in horizontal for horizontal games. It's about 80% there and I have spent hours today  trying everything in the code. I wish I knew AHK better  :badmood:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:42 am »
I feel your pain with AHK.  I messed with it for a while but was only able to get 80% of what I wanted, unless it was a really simple script.  Are you cross posting some of this on the HS forum to see if anyone there has covered the same ground?  it seems like telling it to always rotate in the to horizontal direction on game exit should be able to be scripted but I know how frustrating it can be. 

Could always switch to mala temporarily until HS 2.0 arrives  ;)
Everything works full auto except for occasionally Mala has the wrong orientation on game exit (1 out of 50 game exits or so)  and I have the pause key mapped to change mala orientation so its easy to fix. 

nitz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2011, 01:00:00 pm »
Hey Guys, if you need some ahk help, give me as many details as you can and I'll see what I can do. I work with it a lot at home and at work, so I've become fairly proficient with it.

And then you can help me when I build my rotating monitor! ;D I'm way better at the software side of things than I am at working with this kind of stuff. Hoping to start on it soon. I've had the parts for awhile, I just never seem to find the time.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2011, 12:04:38 am »
WHOOHOO! Totally figured it out. The link to the HS forum by Retroborg has a few downloads on it provided by chillinwater. There is a "test" zip which shows rotation screens and checks that it's writing the .ini file without actually having to have your setup rotate while you test it. I spent about a day reworking his "final" code and condensed it quite a bit. I completely removed the "reset" portion of the code since I always want the monitor to return to horizontal for my HS frontend. So during Mame exit, it just sends "reset" for the Romname and it invokes the Horizontalrotation. (Basically it's a romname not in the string.) All I have left to do is take my "verticalRom" list and convert it to a single line with commas like this "005,1942,1942" etc. Do you know how to do that nitz? I used ROMLister to generate the list, but I cannot export a single line with all the ROMS in the list. Is this possible with ROMLister?

I will post all the code in my next post.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:23:30 am by DNA Dan »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2011, 12:49:40 am »
I want to thank RetroBorg for leading me in the right direction. All the credit for this code goes to Chillinwater at the HS forums. This is primarily HIS code, I just modified it to suit my needs. I am completely impressed with his troubleshooting abilities and how he "set-up" the development of this code. The source can be found here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11271&highlight=4way. The MAME module for Hyperspin is the work of BadBoyBill at the same forums. This is his work, just modified for the rotation files.

The files you need are all attached, but they need to be modified for your setup. I am detailing the process here so you can understand what changes need to be made to what files. I hope this doesn't violate some forum rules. I am just showing the contents of each file.

First thing you need to do is update to Hyperlaunch to v2.0. This can be found at the HS forums. Next, you need to use the modified MAME module below. This adds Runwait....Rotation.exe line in the beginning and two more lines of code at the end initiating a "reset" in %Rompath%.This is the "MAME" file attached. This file goes in the \modules\mame directory in your HS setup.
Code: [Select]

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; MAME
; MAME .140
; by BBB
; 1.0
;
; Info:
; Since MAME needs to save hi scores and data on exit, then we can\'t force
; MAME closed with a hotkey. So make sure you have your own exit key setup
; in MAME first.  We will leave the CloseProcess section below blank, but
; it is still required.
;
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runwait, %emupath%\Rotation.exe "%romName%" (THIS LINE HAS BEEN ADDED)

Runwait, %executable% %romName%, %emuPath%, Hide UseErrorLevel

if(ErrorLevel != 0){
  if (ErrorLevel = 1){
    Error = Failed Validity
  }else if(ErrorLevel = 2){
    Error = Missing Files
  }else if(ErrorLevel = 3){
    Error = Fatal Error
  }else if(ErrorLevel = 4){
    Error = Device Error
  }else if(ErrorLevel = 5){
    Error = Game Does Not Exist
  }else if(ErrorLevel = 6){
    Error = Invalid Config
  }else if(ErrorLevel = 7 || ErrorLevel = 8 || ErrorLevel = 9){
    Error = Identification Error
  }else{
    Error = Mame Error
  }
  MsgBox Mame Error - %Error%
}

process, waitclose, %executable% (THIS LINE HAS BEEN ADDED)

Runwait, %emupath%\Rotation.exe "reset" (THIS LINE HAS BEEN ADDED)

ExitApp

;Required
CloseProcess:
   ;Doesnt have to do anything but make sure to have the line before and after this line.
return

Next you need to add two files to you MAME root folder. The first one is a list of vertical games which I haven't completed yet. The other is the Rotation.ahk which contains the code to send commands to SMCCMD depending upon the list.

Open the Rotation text file and you'll see it's incomplete. Any game you want on a vertical rotation needs to go in the line "Set2_vertical=" single line followed by a comma. If someone knows how to do this easily, please let me know. I don't want to type that all out! This file goes in your MAME root folder.

[Controls]
PrevState=horizontal
Set2_vertical=005,progolf,1941j,1941,1942,1942b (etc. Add all vertical ROM games here followed by a comma.)

Finally you need to add the Rotation.ahk to your MAME root folder. This one needs some editing. The line that reads "iniwrite, vertical, C:\arcade\mame\Rotation.ini, controls, PrevState" - you need to change the directory to your setup. This needs to point to Rotation.ini. Same thing for the line that reads "iniwrite, horizontal, C:\arcade\mame\Rotation.ini, controls, PrevState " If you read the code, you'll notice I am using --speed 1000. You might want to start this off slower to make sure it works on your setup before rotating at this speed. Once you are done editing, you need to compile this to an .exe in the same location.

;[Rotation.exe]

;

;

#SingleInstance force

romName = %1%

param := "%romName%"

;reads verticalRoms controlled roms list

IniRead, verticalRoms, %A_ScriptDir%\Rotation.ini, controls, Set2_vertical

;reads state of vertical, horizontal rotation (user added line in "controls.ini")

iniread, state, %a_scriptdir%\Rotation.ini, Controls, PrevState

ifnotinstring, verticalRoms, %romname%, gosub, horizontalrotation

verticalrotation:

if ( State = "vertical")

{

exitapp

}

else if ( State = "horizontal")

{

Run, %COMSPEC% /c "smccmd --resume --speed 1000", ,{enter},hide

iniwrite, vertical, C:\arcade\mame\Rotation.ini, controls, PrevState

exitapp

}

horizontalrotation:

if ( State = "horizontal" )

{

exitapp

}

else if ( State = "vertical")

{

Run, %COMSPEC% /c "smccmd --resume --speed -1000", ,{enter},hide

iniwrite, horizontal, C:\arcade\mame\Rotation.ini, controls, PrevState

exitapp

}

That's all it takes! If you did everything correctly and I explained it well enough, hopefully you'll be able to go into hyperlaunch and run say 1942 with a rotation vertical, then back to horizontal on exit. Then if you enter in something like Robotron, you should not get any rotation. The code is basically writing to "prevstate" in the Rotation.ini file. You can CNTRL+ALT+DEL any instance of Mame to see that it's writing "horizontal" or "vertical" at that location.

All you have to do now is the arduous task of setting up each game in MAME with a CW90 or CCW90 rotation. I have a list from ROMLister with all the vertical games, I just need to get them into a single string. Then I figure as I play games, when the monitor turns (because the game was found in the list), I will go into MAME settings and change the orientation. Once this is done, it will always be in the orientation, so over time this won't be an issue anymore. (Anyone have a better way of doing this?)

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:34:35 pm by DNA Dan »

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2011, 01:07:47 am »
All I have left to do is take my "verticalRom" list and convert it to a single line with commas like this "005,1942,1942" etc. Do you know how to do that nitz?

Yep!

Open your list of vertical games you made with RomLister. Add a line right at the bottom that just says "x" WITHOUT the quotes. We're just going to use this to tell the script when to stop.

Now put this into an autohotkey script in the same directory as your list of vertical games. Just be sure to change games.txt to whatever your list is named.

var = 1

Loop
{
FileReadLine, line, games.txt, var

If (line = "x")
{
break
}

If (var = 1)
{
FileAppend, %line%, VertSingleLine.txt
}

If (var > 1)
{
FileAppend, `,%line%, VertSingleLine.txt
}

var++
}

msgbox Done!

Run that script and it'll create a file named VertSingleLine.txt in the same directory that has what you want. Just copy and paste that to your rotation text file.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2011, 02:26:52 am »
Nitz you're a genius! Thanks! Previous posts updated. I also updated the attached file to include all vertical games based on the latest controls.dat file and MAME version 0.141

The only disconnect now is manually setting the orientation of MAME games. This should subside over time. I guess this is where MaLa or HS2.0 would come in with a setting to automatically do that for games listed with a vertical tag.

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »
Nitz you're a genius! Thanks!

No prob!

Cool project by the way, a slimmer cab with a rotating monitor is kinda what I'm going for in my (neverending) project.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2011, 04:28:21 pm »
Damn I'm on a roll! Figured out that usage of -autorol in my mame.ini file automatically gives all vertical games a CCW90 degree orientation. This makes the whole package complete using Hyperspin with Mame. The steps are:

1) Create the hardware - monitor setup using pololu motor
2) Use Maestro or Simple motor controller
3) Download the files I posted - install them as posted
4) Change your MAME.ini setting to -autorol = 1 OR -autoror = 1 depending upon which way you rotate.

I also just remembered that depending upon how you rotate for vertical or depending upon how you mounted the motor, you might need to switch the --speed -1000 and --speed 1000. I think this flip can be done in software using the simple motor controller command GUI. Simple, effective $100 setup for rotating LCD.

Nephasth

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2011, 05:01:05 pm »
Awesome! And thanks for sharing with those of us who have yet to take the rotation plunge! :cheers:

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:59 pm »
Fantastic, glad it all works for you automatically.  :applaud:

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:14 pm »
I demand that video be posted immediately if not sooner!    :cheers:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:17 am »
Alrighty....but not to brag..

Just rotate your ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, everyone's doing it!

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2011, 03:35:34 am »

Looks great!  :notworthy:

Though the video would of looked better if you had stopped on some of the HyperSpin game themes I made.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:48:29 am by RetroBorg »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2011, 09:02:46 am »
That is awesome.  Mad props. (does anyone say that anymore?)  Basically the only benefit of Mala beyond that is that you can go from a vertical game to a vertical without rotating to horizontal in between.  I like that it loads the game instantly-no 2 to 3 second "load" splash screen as with Mala. Wishing I had a PC in the arcade machine with enough grunt to run HS now!

Excellent work and blazing a trail as usual.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2011, 10:17:14 am »
Basically the only benefit of Mala beyond that is that you can go from a vertical game to a vertical without rotating to horizontal in between.

HyperSpin version 2 will support vertical themes, so there should be no need to go back to horizontal after a vertical game, hopefully it's not too far away.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2011, 10:28:42 am »
Great video.   Looks almost seamless.  HS 2 will be great.  :applaud: :applaud:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »
What happens to the main menu of MaLa when you go from a vertical game to a horizontal game? Does it switch back and forth? How about HS2.0?

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »
DNA Dan:
Mala lets you have both a horizontal and a vertical layout.  My two layouts are basically the same elements, just rearranged slightly.  When you exit a vert game you are in the vert layout and select again from there, and vice versa. 

RetroBorg:
Do you have a feel for a timeframe on hs2.0? Are they actively working on it now? is the vert layout included for sure?  Seems like it would require a lot of game video layouts to be redone? 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »
Seems like an either/or situation. Either the Vertical and Horizontal games are kept separate so there is no "return to horizontal", or they are all in the same mix and you will need to rotate on exit back to the menu's orientation.  Can you choose from all available games while it's in a vertical layout?

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2011, 11:30:54 pm »

That is awesome. :applaud: Nice to see it rotating in the cab. Very slick. Makes me want to work on my own.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:14 am »
RetroBorg:
Do you have a feel for a timeframe on hs2.0?

Dazz anounced on this forum "HyperSpin v2 is coming..." that was back on: 18 October 2010, 15:54:40

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106666.0

It's been over a year since that announcement so I would think it wouldn't be too far away.

The official word is "It will be ready when it's ready!"

I think it's going to be well worth the wait, in my opinion HyperSpin is already the best looking front end but when version 2 comes out it will probably have the most features as well.

Are they actively working on it now?

From what I've read Badboy Bill has been working on it but I'm sure he takes a much needed break from it from time to time.

Is the vert layout included for sure?  Seems like it would require a lot of game video layouts to be redone? 

I asked a similar question on the HyperSpin forum and Dazz replied, "New themes will need to be created for both Widescreen and Vertical. "

So it looks like each game will need three themes, horizontal, widescreen & vertical.

It does seem like a lot of work but for the games that already have themes there probably won't be too much to do to make the widescreen and vertical as most of the hard work of cutting out artwork has already been done.

Quote from: BadBoyBill;92207
Changes that are already done:

-Vertical and non stretched Widescreen support, 1280x720 native.
-Start on sub menu's in multi mode.
-Search system, search by name, company or year.
-Multi-User favorite system.
-AVI intro video support.
-Intro images, up to 2 images, with fade timing by the user.
-New Parental Controls system.
-New Operator Menu
-Disable menu items from within HS.

-Wheel speed can be tuned by number instead of low, med, high.
-Center wheel image can be x and y offset per your own value.
-Fixed the wheel image layering, center image is highest.
-New wheel algorithm to calculate wheel positions, wheel is perfectly round now.
-That allows for spread factor now, number setting to spread images on wheel further or closer together.
-Wheel smoothing is now allowed, no more slightly jagged wheel images.
-Vertical and Horizontal wheels are positioned by number now, not left right, center.
-You can set the exact amount of 3d rotation on the wheel now, for wheels that it applies to.  Not left and right like it is now.
-Fixed pin wheel backwards rotation.
-New dynamic wheel reflections.  Lot's of adjustment settings to get the best reflect look you want.
-New coverflow wheel style.

-New text engine, to create even better looking text in HS. 
-Text now has kerning options. 
-Triple strokes now possible.
-Text no longer cutoff on wheel, set the max characters.
-Can italic text.
-Justifty text on wheel now, left, center.
-Add highlights to text, adjustable angle and size.
-Double the fonts.
-Add copyright symbol to manufacturer names.
-Tons of text cleanup options. Remove parenthesis, format brackets, remove secondary manufacturers, ensure first letter is uppercase, format company type, remove question marks etc...
-Multiline game descriptions now possilble for really long names.

-Special art is now coded artwork.  No more external files.  Everything is customizable from inside the settings.
-Set your own special art text, "Next Game", "Previous Game" etc..
-Special art can now use variables, total games, current genre, current system in that text.
-Can specify the joystick color now per wheel.
-Other options besides a joystick, such as xbox 360 controller, keyboard keys, arcade buttons, rectangle arcade buttons.  All animated.
-Up to 15 special artwork slots, with many customizations per slot.
-Change arcade button colors, support multi color buttons.
-Built in graphics for buttons, such as 1 player guy, "Admin", "Start", "Pause" , etc.. like the inserts you would buy or make.
-Option to not animate out special art B
-Sped up default settings.

-Revamped the genre system to work on main xml, no more extra xml's.
-Supports unlimited genres per game.
-Genre wheel now gets its own special artwork settings.  "Next Genre", "Previous Genre" etc...

-Added a performance monitor.
-New keys:  Delete Key, Random Game, Operator Menu, Search

Above are just some of the stuff added to HS expect a lot more.

You can read the thread here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10128

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:02 am »
Dan:
Sorry for the awful cell phone pix, but here are the two layouts.  all games are selectable from either, and they're basically the same.  the vert layout adds a little picture of the cab at the bottom right now.  when you exit the vertical game, it shows the vertical layout.  if you pick a horizontal game, it will rotate, play then exit to the horizontal layout.  Upon exiting mala, a .bat file runs to rotate back to horizontal if its not already there.

Horizontal

Vertical

this is a placeholder for the final art, i really need to woodshed and get something looking a little better.  not ready for prime time.

RetroBorg:  Thanks for the update.  I'll look into HS 2.0 for certain when the time comes.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2011, 11:44:20 am »
I see, that's pretty slick! I could see this being a bit of an issue for HS2.0 with all the themes. If you're in a vertical layout you would get one theme for a game, then if you were in a horizontal layout you'd get a horizontal version of the same theme. Seems like it would bloat the software a bit too.

I'm all for limiting the number of rotations though. I probably have about 500 turns on it so far and it's holding up. Hopefully my engineering skills are up to standard.

NITZ: IMO the most difficult part was figuring out the bezel and "mask" so that you can't see inside the cab. I have a multilayered piece of foam board cut into a circle with a square in it. Working with this material was a lot less forgiving than the tools used to build the cab. In addition, this needed to be adhered to a decased LCD with glue so that it was clean and not visible from the front. I just didn't enjoy doing this part of the cab and it's the most "jury-rigged" part of the cab. You can imagine taking the monitor in and out of the cab is not very easy for service of the cab. Perhaps I should have used some sort of elastic or rubber bands to hold it on. It's just very critical that this piece does not come off and interefere with the rotation.

ALSO, I have the LEDs cut and installed already into this piece for my aimtrak. You have to plan ahead for this if you intend to add a light gun.

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2011, 11:29:20 pm »
NITZ: IMO the most difficult part was figuring out the bezel and "mask" so that you can't see inside the cab. I have a multilayered piece of foam board cut into a circle with a square in it. Working with this material was a lot less forgiving than the tools used to build the cab. In addition, this needed to be adhered to a decased LCD with glue so that it was clean and not visible from the front. I just didn't enjoy doing this part of the cab and it's the most "jury-rigged" part of the cab. You can imagine taking the monitor in and out of the cab is not very easy for service of the cab. Perhaps I should have used some sort of elastic or rubber bands to hold it on. It's just very critical that this piece does not come off and interefere with the rotation.

That was actually one of the things that had me hesitating about doing a rotating monitor for awhile - I worried about being able to get the bezel around the monitor to both look decent and not interfere with rotating. I like what you've done, but yeah, foam board can be a pain to work with. I've got a very dark piece of plexi on order, and I'm going to paint everything visible around the monitor black and hope the screen just looks like it's floating there. If that doesn't work out, I'll likely go the foam board route.

Up until recently, I wasn't totally sure I wanted to do a rotating monitor even after getting all the parts together. But seeing the video of yours in action made the decision for me. Auto rotating is awesome! :cheers:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16:57 pm »
I'd like to see other solutions that people used for this issue. The main source of the problem is typically you want the cab as small as possible (Width wise), but when the monitor rotates, it needs to be at least and big as the diagonal dimension of the monitor plus some additional "filler" distance. The piece I ended up cuting only has about 1-2 inches from the corner of the monitor to where the edge of the circle is. This would be a difficult plexi cut without having it crack in the corners. Good luck and start a new thread with you're build! I am happy to have at least inspired one person on this thread!  :cheers:

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2011, 01:31:49 pm »
The piece I ended up cuting only has about 1-2 inches from the corner of the monitor to where the edge of the circle is. This would be a difficult plexi cut without having it crack in the corners.

I'm not sure what you mean. Did you cut plexi to actually go around the monitor rather than just put the monitor behind it?

Good luck and start a new thread with you're build! I am happy to have at least inspired one person on this thread!  :cheers:

I will definitely do that. I think I pretty much have to since I expect to need a lot of help. ;)

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2011, 03:18:45 pm »
the monitor is behind a full, fixed piece of glass as per the Knievel design and others.  there's a bezel behind this glass that rotates with the monitor.  it's big enough to block the user from seeing into the cab when the monitor is diagonally oriented during rotations.  I think what Dan is saying is that making this piece out of Plexi rather than foam core would be hard.  Foam core is perfect because it's stiff, matte and you can't actually touch it once installed.

heres a pic of my version of what Dan did, using black 1/4" foam core board:

it doesnt touch the back of the glass but it's very close. 

here's the back painted smoked glass.

Due to the geometry of my particular cab, I had to round the corners of the clear window through the glass, otherwise I couldn't make the foam core big enough to cover all the way out to a square corner.  I had to trim the bottom left corner and left side of the bezelto clear my admin panel.  rotation is counter clockwise.

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2011, 06:21:31 pm »
Thanks TopJimmyCooks, that's what I thought was the usual way people do this. My post above may have made it sound like I was planning to cut and mount plexi around the monitor, maybe that's where the confusion came from. I'm basically planning to do this only without the foam board if the plexi is dark enough.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2011, 11:31:33 pm »
Jimmy - Are you rotating your setup yet? Looks good.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2011, 07:45:45 am »
Thanks, DNA dan.  Switchcade has been basically complete for 3-4 months now and auto rotating with Mala.  In the meantime I've left my straight job and gone back to working for my self, and my wife broke her arm badly, so it's been just the occasional gameplay lately.  I need to come up with a better temp marquee and Mala Layout before it goes public, but hopefully during Christmas time work will be slow and I can do a big update.  I recently got time to finish my usb flight stick and usb wheel swap panels so all the controls are built.

I feel like the Pololu/lazy susan system is a good and permanent solution.  If you think about the forces acting on a lazy susan bearing, 100 cans of soup, etc. the sideload of the monitor and disk is no big deal, especially since the disk is kept co-planar with the mount.  My last concern was wheel slippage but with the 90 degree hinge mod and sandpaper on the disk, that's no longer an issue.  its at the point where I never look at it and ask myself, is it going to spin?  It just goes.  the fact that it's USB controlled is huge.  I love what Da old man did with the parallel port, (and I'm in debt to him for his Mala plugin that makes my system work) but I'm glad i'm not going that route, or building H Bridges, etc.  I like for the hardware to be easy and the software to have lots of options. 

It's because of your project and the other Solarbotics thread that I did this - thanks for documenting your work so well.   :cheers:

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »
Cool! You're welcome. Thanks for your input as well.  I think what this forum presents is different folks pushing the envelope of what is possible for the future of arcade gaming. I too have had my share of inspiration from others on these forums too, especially DaOldMan, Knievel, etc..

Have you taken a look at the tire on your rotation unit? I haven't checked mine since the 90 degree mod because it's difficult to see up in there. Just wondering if you see any wear or rubber bits coming off from the pressure. I don't see any dust in the bottom of the cab, so I assume everything is okay. :dunno

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »
No problems with tire wear.  It seems to be a very high quality, elastic rubber.  I did notice that it lost some traction when dusty (from mdf dust) so it's probably a good idea to wipe it down if you're back there.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »
I found an issue with the script I posted a few replies back. Whenever I try to run Joust, it rotates vertical. In mame the screen is not rotated, so Mame properly identifies it as a horizontal game. When I look at my Rotation.ini list of vertical games, there is no "joust" found in the list. What is in the list is "joust2". When I delete this from the list, it works properly, but now joust 2 will not rotate vertical. So for the AHK experts out there, is there any reason why in the script it identifies "joust2" as the %romname% lookup for "joust"? Is it just a partial match and not reading the "2"? Is there a more specific command to have it lookup exact matches only in the vertical games list?

I guess this is an issue where the first version of a game was horizontal, but then the sequel to the same game was vertical AND when the roms are named the same but with an addition to the name. Are there any other examples of two games like this?  God I see why joust 2 was such a flop. The gameplay is terrible on a vertical screen.  ::)

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:14 pm »
Yep, it's just looking for joust in that string and it finds it - ...josvolly,journey,joust2,joyfulr... so it thinks it's a vertical game.

I can also see this happening with the Mortal Kombat games. mk is gonna match galagamk, grdnstrmk, spfghmk2, and spfghmk22 and you'll notice that mk2 is gonna match the latter two. There could be other examples, but this is what comes to mind.

The only fix I can think of off the top of my head, is to make a workaround for those games. There probably aren't that many of them. I would just add this underneath the line romName = %1% in Rotation.ahk.

If ((romName = "joust") | (romName = "mk") | (romName = "mk2"))
{
goto horizontalrotation
}

And if you find more games that do that, just add them by following the pattern.

I haven't tested this but it should work.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2011, 08:37:38 am »
Dang, first time I typed a post and did something and completely lost it.  So, either round 2 or double post:

Punch out has issues as well.  originally 2 stacked horizontal screens i guess, and it makes sense to display vertically, but it's horizontal in mame.  I don't really like the game but have been asked by people to play it.  So I need to delve into this as well. 

I bet before too long we'll have a good set of ini's for 'taters that address these.

and +1 on death to Joust 2.  I had high hopes for it as a rotation demonstrator alongside the one true Joust, but the sounds that game makes are horrible. 

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »
Punch out has issues as well.  originally 2 stacked horizontal screens i guess, and it makes sense to display vertically, but it's horizontal in mame.  I don't really like the game but have been asked by people to play it.  So I need to delve into this as well.

If you have Punch Out setup to run vertically via a punchout.ini file in your mame folder, getting the screen to rotate should just be a matter of adding punchout to the list of vertical roms in the Rotation.ini file.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »
Finally had some time to test this out, works like a charm. I added the line of code provided by nitz for the three games. I can't think of any others off the top of my head (but I am sure there are more). For punchout, I added it to the verticalroms list then changed the setting "in-game" to suit my vertical orientation. The default in mame is two horizontal screens stacked, which is why the global autoror- setting does not trigger the rotation.

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2011, 11:46:35 pm »
Cool. :cheers: If you come across more games that need to be added to the work around, post 'em here, or maybe better yet, make a stickied post in the Mrotate section.

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2011, 09:41:25 pm »
OK, I couldn't resist using AHK to find all the horizontal games that need the workaround. ;D Turns out there are more than I thought - 56 of them. I did this by comparing the horizontal and vertical game lists, minus non-working games, from Mame 0.144. Here's the edited Rotation.ahk for anyone who wants it. It's been renamed Rotation.txt since you can't upload a file with the ahk extension.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:11 am »
Nitz, you da man.  Now step away from the keyboard and start spinning something with those parts!

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2011, 01:11:22 am »
Heh heh, yeah I really should, thanks again for those parts btw. ;) I must admit the software type stuff comes way easier to me than the mechanical stuff. So I've been procrastinating a little, but I've also had very little free time these last couple months anyway. I'm aiming to get started on it in the next month or so provided I can find the time.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2011, 12:02:34 pm »
OK, I couldn't resist using AHK to find all the horizontal games that need the workaround. ;D Turns out there are more than I thought - 56 of them. I did this by comparing the horizontal and vertical game lists, minus non-working games, from Mame 0.144. Here's the edited Rotation.ahk for anyone who wants it. It's been renamed Rotation.txt since you can't upload a file with the ahk extension.

Sweet! So does this fix the partial match issue? Or is this just for games with sequels?

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2011, 12:33:34 pm »
Starting to think more about my next project. I am going to make a bartop portable 14" LCD single player cab. Wondering if I should rotate or not. With such a small screen I think it's pretty much mandatory. Not sure however if this is going to make it overly wide or heavy. I want this thing to be portable, thus I am using a 14". I plan on decasing a computer and physically mounting the Mobo and guts with standoffs so everything will be secure. For the rotation, I am considering the wider circle lazy susan bearing such as this http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bearings&Product_Code=Kit11280&Category_Code=LazySusan

I saw a thread where someone used something similar and it didn't work for them. I am hoping this style will remove the need for bottom wheel supports and will be a more direct mount using tapered shank bolts. I guess it depends if the bearing is just two cirlces of metal like the cheapo ones I have seen at Lowe's or if there are actually ball bearings in there. Seems like this could work.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2011, 04:04:22 pm »
I agree it would work.  At 13.75" diameter that particular one may be too big for a 14" monitor.  can probably get a smaller one in the same style from woodworker's supply or rockler. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »
They make smaller sizes, I am just unsure about this style of bearing and whether it will rotate smoothly with the deflection from the monitor angle. It looks like there are bearings in there. I think I will just order one and see.

The thread I read before (that didn't work) used this type of bearing http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=bearings&Product_Code=Kit8998&Category_Code=LazySusan which is okay for laying flat, but the deflection from the monitor angle generates too much friction for it to turn smoothly.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2011, 08:40:43 am »
I ordered one from vxb a while back for a project that I havent finished yet, what would you like to know?
I ordered one with the aluminum rings. They have small ball bearings between the rings.
I cant remember the size of it, its out in the shed, but they all look to be made the same.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2011, 02:09:23 pm »
DaOldMan:  is it a few bearings held captive with metal spacers in between, or a continuous circle of bearings touching each other? 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »
Im not sure how many balls are in between the rings, but they form a continuous circle.
One thing about the bearing I got, it looks like it has several holes, but only three (if I remember correctly, guess i need to go dig it out) of the holes go all the way through. I think this is designed to bolt to one surface and sat on the other surface. however, I think it is possible to drill the other holes all the way through, thats what I plan to do anyway.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2011, 12:38:34 am »
Interesting. Definitely would need to drill holes on the side that only has the rubber feet. Might also have to use a standoff or something firm because the rubber will compress from the weight of the monitor. From what I can tell, you need the rubber feet there to give clearance for the outer circle to turn since they reside in the same plane. Maybe some thick washers on the inner circle would give enough clearance. Damn, now I HAVE to rotate my next build.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2011, 11:58:28 am »
There is a slight bit of difference in the plane of the two rings, but not much, maybe a few thousandths of inch.
I think some washers would be sufficient to get clearance.

nitz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2011, 07:09:27 pm »
Sweet! So does this fix the partial match issue? Or is this just for games with sequels?

This should fix the partial match issue entirely - though your mileage may vary somewhat depending on added/changed rom names between the version you're using and version 0.144

torridpsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2012, 01:39:18 pm
Hey guys, great thread!  I managed to follow along and I have everything working except one little bit.  When I launch a vertical game in hyperspin, hyperlaunch fires the rotation.exe, and the motor turns and the monitor physically rotates.  The games in Mame do not rotate on the screen, however.  I can configure them manually to rotate correctly, but is there an easier way, command line switch or something, to accomplish this?  Or maybe did I miss a step somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

torridpsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2012, 01:39:18 pm
I think i found it.  Changing autoror or autorol from 0 to 1 in mame.ini appears to have done the trick!