Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Molex - what to do?  (Read 1063 times)

b3dr0ck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2014, 05:49:02 pm
Molex - what to do?
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »
So I've just started out a few months back, and am in neck deep gutting and rebuilding cabs and monitors.

I keep running into all different types and sizes of molex connectors on monitors, PCB, audio amps, speakers, etc...

Right now, I'm splicing stuff, and hard-wiring stuff.  What do other people do?  Seems like there should be a molex connector kit, or something with standard connections, but so far I've seen nothing.

any recommendations?

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
Re: Molex - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:33 pm »
There are some kits.  Bob Roberts has one that includes some of the connectors commonly used in American arcade games. Molex sells some kits for their various series, too.

The issue is that Molex alone makes several thousand different kinds of connectors, some more common than others.  There are also other common connector makers such as AMP (Tyco), JST, Amphenol (not to be confused with AMP/Tyco), and many others.  They all ALSO make several thousand different kinds of connectors some of which are unique and others of which are just "crosses" (functional equivalents) of those made by somebody else.

An "every connector you might possibly run into ever" service kit would be humongous and prohibitively expensive.

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:46:57 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:22 pm »
The first thing to do, if you plan to do a lot of this stuff, is to get a few good crimpers, and a good selection of pins. You can usually reuse the housings, so those aren't as crucial.

These along with the cheap d-sub crimpers from radio shack will allow you to handle most anything you run into. The crimpers can be had for a little less without the dies, and are still pretty easy to use. If you need to do the .62 stuff, you will need a set of the crimpers for those too. I haven't needed them, so I haven't bought that one yet. Get a bag of 100 pins of the different types; Bob Roberts is a good choice, or you might be able to save a little at Digi-Key, but probably not in that quantity. Maybe buy a few of each housing, but honestly, I usually just reuse them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Molex-HTR-2445A-crimping-tool-NR-/300534976127?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item45f947ce7f#ht_500wt_1156
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Molex-HTR1031E-Hand-Crimper-Tool-Crimping-HTR-1031E-/220733427785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364bcd049#ht_902wt_905
http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-3-Molex-Extractor-Tools-60901-2285-2038-/120648334682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c17337d5a#ht_662wt_1139

b3dr0ck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2014, 05:49:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:03 pm »
OK - that makes a lot of sense.  Just reuse the connectors and rewire the pins in them.

Wow - those molex crimpers are expensive.  I paid less for an entire arcade game - it needs some work.  I need to go ahead and buy a bunch of stuff off Bob Roberts.

Thanks

Nephasth

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:22:09 pm »
These are the crimpers I use. The dies change out easily for different pins. The dies included with these crimpers will crimp most molex pins. If you look hard enough you can find other die sets for around $7.

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:46:57 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:38:52 am »
OK - that makes a lot of sense.  Just reuse the connectors and rewire the pins in them.

Wow - those molex crimpers are expensive.  I paid less for an entire arcade game - it needs some work.  I need to go ahead and buy a bunch of stuff off Bob Roberts.

Thanks

There is a definite possibility that I have spent more on tools than I have on the games. If I am going to work on something, I want the best tools possible to make it more enjoyable. While you are ordering from Bob, make sure you take the time to read everything on his site. There is a ton of useful information there.

This is the new price for those crimpers: Ouch
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=8630540