Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TriSync monitor question  (Read 1870 times)

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
TriSync monitor question
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:34:18 am »
I just got a deal on a cab with a brand new 27" monitor. When I asked about the monitor the guy said that all the monitors he installed (he had several cab's) were able to handle medium/high res games.. But he didn't seem to know what a meant when I asked him if it was a Tri-Sync. Since the cab is running Raiden II, it must be a Tri though (assuming he knows what he's talking about. The guy was selling cabs out of a random storage unit)

It is a digital monitor with a remote daughter board for adjusting the geometry and other setting. Also when I go into the mode settings it says 15Khz on the screen. How can I confirm that is monitor is actually a Tri-Sync? I haven't had any time to inspect it other than to check that it works (Raiden II looks BEAUTIFUL). Is there going to be like a VGA connection or something, or does it automatically know when I high res board is hooked up through the regular JAMMA connection?
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

clutch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2014, 02:26:56 pm
Re: TriSync monitor question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:30:43 am »
I hope someone can answer this question because I am thinking that the jamma edge is not set up to handle 31kHZ.  That is what the d-sub connector is for.  I asked a few people if they had 31kHZ jamma boards and everyone had 15kHZ.  I couldn't get a clean 31kHZ through the jamma connector with my j-pac either.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:23:12 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:02:36 pm »
I just got a deal on a cab with a brand new 27" monitor. When I asked about the monitor the guy said that all the monitors he installed (he had several cab's) were able to handle medium/high res games.. But he didn't seem to know what a meant when I asked him if it was a Tri-Sync. Since the cab is running Raiden II, it must be a Tri though (assuming he knows what he's talking about. The guy was selling cabs out of a random storage unit)

It is a digital monitor with a remote daughter board for adjusting the geometry and other setting. Also when I go into the mode settings it says 15Khz on the screen. How can I confirm that is monitor is actually a Tri-Sync? I haven't had any time to inspect it other than to check that it works (Raiden II looks BEAUTIFUL). Is there going to be like a VGA connection or something, or does it automatically know when I high res board is hooked up through the regular JAMMA connection?

if you post a model # I think we can help.

tri-sync isn't really an adopted term which is why i think you got the sideways confused dog look from your buddy there.

when we say "tri-res" we mean 15k/25k/31k which is "CGA EGA and VGA" or "standard, medium, and high resolution" it will display ONE of those resolutions (generally fixed manually with a jumper to one of those resolutions). "dual-res" is usually CGA and EGA. you don't often find a monitor that displays only medium and high resolution. you are more likely to find one however only able to display a single resolution only, with no option to lower or raise the resolution.

when we say "multi-sync" it will automatically switch between resolutions regardless of input with no manual changes needed.

i would believe by your description you do have a "multi-sync" monitor because of the digital control pad, but as for the resolutions it is capable of displaying, i'm not sure. generally if it has a DB15 connector, it should display VGA... if not, i would think it's at least standard res since raiden 2 was standard res.

clutch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:14:16 pm »
My question was in tune with his, just slightly askew.  If we can confirm that there are no pcb's that support vga resolution and he only has the jamma connection to the chassis (no d-sub), then can we deduct that his monitor is not a tri-sync?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:23:12 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:12 pm »
If we can confirm that there are no pcb's that support vga resolution

i wouldn't go so far as to say NO pcb's support VGA, as i'm sure there might be a few... i know the XX-in-1 boards run at VGA (as well as can be set for std. and med res) but yes it is a possibility.

he only has the jamma connection to the chassis (no d-sub), then can we deduct that his monitor is not a tri-sync?

i wouldn't say that either... some monitors only have the standard RGB, ground, sync, pin header on the chassis and used a simple adapter to convert it to DB15 (which is just a fancy connector... it's still RGB) there is also the possibility that the VGA cable has been hacked off or removed because the monitor was only used at standard or medium res. oh the joys of buying used!

the easiest way to find out would be to either post some pics of the chassis, and we can take a guess what it is, (or to post what model the chassis is) and we can find out it's capabilities.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 01:33:24 am »

I've never heard of a CGA only 27" digital monitor -- I'm guessing it's a multisync.  If you can check in the back for a standard DB15 VGA port, bring a laptop that's set to 640x480 and test it out.  I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to 800x600 too.

clutch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:27:58 am »
Yeah, I'm an idiot.  People run their Naomi's through the jamma edge at 31kHZ.