Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie Question about a Kortek Monitor and Soft 15khz  (Read 3798 times)

adalektookmysoda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2011, 11:07:01 pm
Newbie Question about a Kortek Monitor and Soft 15khz
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:36:21 pm »
Hello everyone!

Ok so I have a Kortek 19inch arcade monitor that I want to use in a nintendo cabinet I will be restoring to full DK glory. I plan to run a PC in the cabinet since I am on a budget and want to be able to play other games like galaga, ms pacman and so on.

I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff and I am having a hard time getting a positive ID on this monitor. I have looked at some other Kortek monitors and cant be sure based on what I have seen.

So basically I have a Pentium 4 PC with an ATI Radeon 9600 and this seems like it would be a compatible card for use with soft15khz. It seems making the cable to hook from the PC to the monitor will be pretty easy, but I am confused about getting power to the monitor. I have a few extra power supplies from nintendo cabinets with isolation transformers. There is a molex (sp?) type connector on the monitor as well as the isolation transformer. The plugs are not compatible but seem like they could be spliced together.

The actual cabinet is out in the garage with the power cord attached. I am wondering how I get power to the power supply and isolation transformer. Do I need to remove the on/off switch and power cord from the machine or is there another way to do this. I want to put this monitor on my desk and use for my MAMEing until I get the cabinet prepped.

I am wondering if this particular monitor needs an isolation transformer. It came out of some generic looking cabinet a friend got that we can't ID. I may have that power supply somewhere, but I'm not sure.

To make a long story short I am looking for a clue lol. I need some information on how to do this without hurting the monitor or myself.

Also I have a question about soft15khz. I loaded it and it says its working (right now this computer is hooked up to my 22inch LCD) But how does it know when the arcade monitor is actually hooked up? Do I just need to load the program once or does it need to be running in the background? I loaded quickres and it showed the custom resolutions...they seemed to work on my LCD. I am just confused about this.

Below I have included some pictures of the monitor and chasis in the hopes that someone knows something about this.

Thanks in advance for the help. I am going to do a bit more reading and see what I can find out.

Also Ultimarc has this Arcade Monitor Video Amplifier, I am wondering if I am going to need this to get a good picture. He is out of stock right now and I am not sure when more will be avaliable. I am wondering if there is an alternative to this.

I also have another sanyo 20ez monitor that I could use in the cabinet. It could use a cap kit and it has an issue where the red gun seems to take a while to come on...is there a good fix for this or does this mean it is getting towards the end of its life. My old DK jr machine is at a friends house and it does the same thing. Once it comes on it's fine and stays working.

EDIT I did a little digging in the attic tonight and found the harness from my popeye cabinet I had forgotten about...the Nintendo PSU plugs into the harness...I could simply use the sanyo (I forget if that monitor has a plug for a non inverted video signal....I gotta do a little more digging but help clarifying all this is still needed.   

I found this page and I am trying to make sense of it. http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/buildit.html

SDC12328 by dalektookmysoda, on Flickr

SDC12321 by dalektookmysoda, on Flickr

SDC12327 by dalektookmysoda, on Flickr

SDC12326 by dalektookmysoda, on Flickr

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:38:39 am by adalektookmysoda »

adalektookmysoda

• Offline Offline
Re: Newbie Question about a Kortek Monitor and Soft 15khz
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:38:54 am »
Okay good news! I was looking at a really ratty Sanyo 20ez monitor in the garage and I noticed that the mounting hardware seems to be swappable. There is a band around the monitor that you can undo on both monitors and it seems that you can loosen it and swap mounting hardware. So that is going to make putting this kortek monitor into the DK cabinet easy. In fact it will make it a direct fit. This made me very happy.

I am wondering if I can use a sanyo chassis with this Samsung tube in the kortek. I don't think I am going to do that, just curious really 

I am still confused about powering this kortek monitor....the sanyo has a plug that goes into the socket on the power supply board. This Kortek monitor only has that molex connector that looks like it would splice into the isolation transformer. I really hope someone can help me out here with this one. I really need an ID on that kortek. The cabinet really does not need allot more before it is ready for paint. I just need to do so more filling around the back edges where the wood tends to chip. I am so excited.

I had to make room in the house so I loaned my DK Jr with a DK board in it to a friend for his daughter. It is still mine and I can have it back any time, however seeing how much joy it brings to that 8 year old girl makes me really happy. I am excited to share something like DK with someone of that age. She was really into the new Zelda games on her DS so I showed her link to the past on the SNES and she thought it was the best zelda game of all.   

It is going to be so cool to get this project together and I will post pics soon in another part of the forum. I am currently out of work due to some health issues. I am hoping to find a job that I can manage with my health so I can get back to the restoration.

I know it is kind of sacrilege putting a PC in this cabinet, but I am not going to hack anything up so it can be returned to normal. I really have limited space and want to be able to play a few other classic games. If I get back on my feet and can get a job I plan to start collecting machines again. 

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:57:11 am »
The iso output on the transformer is 100v (japan std.) for the Sanyo monitor. The Kortek is 120v, so yer gonna need a different iso transformer.

adalektookmysoda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:28:40 pm »
Cool thanks for that info! So does connector to the monitor wire into the isolation transformer directly?

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:48:04 am »
A general replacement iso xfmr will just have solder tabs, so you need to make your own wiring.