Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Discussion Tutorial videos on CP layout and configuration  (Read 5110 times)

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Discussion Tutorial videos on CP layout and configuration
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:57:25 pm »
Here is a video I made discussing one possible control panel layout route you can take with your control panel. Im an old school gamer who still plays video games so I run the gamut from Arcade through early consoles and computers to todays consoles and computers.  This layout is the layout I have settled on after a few cabs and control panel builds of trial and error.  In my opinion it provides the most functionality with the least amount of clutter.  This video is intended for those new to the hobby who want an example of a control panel that could accommodate the majority of MAME/console games with as little clutter as possible.

The first video touches on the basic layout. The second video on admin button functionality using the IPAC2's shift button functionality (no admin buttons necessary) and the 3rd on tweaking MAME with your arcade monitor.

First video on CP Layouts:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:53:24 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: Control Panel layout video
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:57:45 pm »
How to configure either stick for single player/dual player 4 way dedicated play.

I apologize in advance for the scanlines on the CRT...I will be using my high def camera for future videos which doesn't pick up the scanlines and using a tripod! Hopefully in the meantime it still assists those new to the hobby as is...ill replace it with better quality later!  UPDATE: Will update these videos hopefully this weekend with my flicker free HD cam...then again im bad for timelines lol but will try.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:38:34 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Homer41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2012, 01:49:08 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:50 pm »
Thanks! Helps us noobs get a better understanding of things!  :applaud: I didn't know you can play either player 1 or 2 for 4 & 8 way. I thought player 1 was player 1 and player 2 was player 2....good to know thanks! Let me clarify, you can play a two player game (4 way) from player 2??

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:40:50 pm »
Thanks! Helps us noobs get a better understanding of things!   I didn't know you can play either player 1 or 2 for 4 & 8 way. I thought player 1 was player 1 and player 2 was player 2....good to know thanks! Let me clarify, you can play a two player game (4 way) from player 2??

Yes, I will be showing this in video 3 but here is a summary. Everything in MAME is controlled in either of two ways...globally or via individual game settings. Individual game settings override global settings. So for a 4 way 1 player exclusive to the player 2 stick you configure MAME individual game settings.

For example...if the game is Ghost N Goblins (which is one I configured this way) you would go into the games individual settings (TAB key on loadup) and simply map the controls for player 1 to the 4 way player 2 stick.  You delete the default settings then for up push up on the player 2...down same and again for the buttons you require. Then every time you load Ghost N Goblins it will be configured to play single player on stick 2.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Homer41

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2012, 01:49:08 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:03 pm »
Nice!!! Good to know  :woot Keep the videos coming! Question, if I buy the U360s I wouldn't need to do that, correct? I've purchased everything but joysticks, just doing a little research and asking questions before I buy them. Thanks!!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:32:00 pm »
The U360 can be configured to automatically load the correct config files (4 way, 8 way) etc with versions of MAME like Mamewah so not as much of an issue :)

*Updated with example video on configuring either stick for dedicated 4 way play*
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:53:55 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

ubermick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2021, 02:29:01 am
Re: Discussion Tutorial videos on CP layout and configuration
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »
Epyx, that's... epic! Love the motivational tip for rewarding yourself with a quarter for each five minutes of workout time, by the way!  :applaud:
Mammy, why is everyone pointing at my cab and laughing?

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:16:45 pm »
Did I miss part III? The suspense is killing me. Lots of good info in these videos.  :notworthy:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:34:11 pm »
3rd is up...this weekend I will use my HD cam and redo this cause honestly if I was epileptic these videos may trigger grand mals...
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials