Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultimarc Mag-Stick Plus  (Read 6146 times)

richard d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2011, 08:20:35 pm
Ultimarc Mag-Stick Plus
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:41:15 pm »
Just got mine today, $47 shipped all the way from London to Texas in just four days. I put it in my Xarcade and the difference while playing Donkey Kong is like night and day! If you haven't played the older arcade games like DK or Pacman with a true 4way instead of an 8way, treat yourself. Plus, it is easy to change it to 8way operation by pulling up and twisting the stick. Now I want to swap out for the ball top.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:44:35 pm by richard d »

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
Re: Ultimarc Mag-Stick Plus
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:57:39 pm »
I love my magstik plus sticks.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:43 pm »
Personal preference but to balance light and dark, I will say that the Mag Stik Plus for me is "ok" in 4 way...but horrid in 8 way...all because of its short mechanical feeling throw. 
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »
Always good to hear reviews of this stick... that switching makes it very tempting, may have to try one myself soon.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

tylervalo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2013, 08:23:10 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:41:32 pm »
I've been using 1 for almost a year, no complaints other than it seems a little difficult to activate the switches, but I think that's because it's not install perfectly straight in my cp.

Red

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2017, 08:37:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:44:34 am »
Just got mine today, $47 shipped all the way from London to Texas in just four days. I put it in my Xarcade and the difference while playing Donkey Kong is like night and day! If you haven't played the older arcade games like DK or Pacman with a true 4way instead of an 8way, treat yourself. Plus, it is easy to change it to 8way operation by pulling up and twisting the stick. Now I want to swap out for the ball top.

How easy is it to install in the X-Arcade?  Did you have to do any modding at all or does it fit right in?

Also, is there any electrical wiring involved?

I'd like to do this too, but have zero knowledge of wiring etc....

Thanks.

richard d

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »
I had to enlarge the recess that was routed for the original joystick, and drill the holes about a half inch closer together. Also, the terminals on the wires are too small, so I crimped on the next size up. One wire had to be made a few inches longer. Whole job took about an hour, it would take a lot less to replace the other one now that I know what I'm doing. DEFINITELY worth it.

Ambaratur

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2019, 08:55:13 am
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:28 pm »
I have a pair - I like them myself.  I bought the ball tops and the only problem I have is that the blue balltop is more light blue so it does not really match my blue buttons.

Other than that I think they work fine.  It takes a little practice to change them from 4 way to 8 way.  You have to get the feel of it to understand the switching mechanics.

richard d

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:47 pm »
I will be ordering balltops when I get the other Magstick. I find it easy to go from 4 to 8.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:43:28 pm by richard d »

NoBullMAME

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2011, 11:23:34 am
  • Author, The No Bull MAME Guide
    • No Bull MAME Guide Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 03:12:27 pm »
Personally, I don't really like the feel. The throw is too short and they feel 'clunky' to me.

However, I've installed lots of them and everyone seems to love them. They are really well made, except for the switches, which tend to break easily (at least they do for me).

My preference is a dedicated 4-way stick with a restrictor plate, so you can't even move diagonally. But often there's just not enough space on the control panel for one.
Author,The No Bull MAME Guide Intro priced at: $2.99

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:19 pm »
i'll give my thumbs up to the mag stick plus as well. Works a treat in my multipanel. And to me using the balltop shaft makes a huge difference compared to the bat handle. Andy makes a solid product.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:01:49 pm »
I have installed several Mag Stick Plus and have had no complaints.  I like the short action and the feel of the ball tops but the switching 4 and 8 way takes a little getting used to.

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:04 pm »
It's a continental and generational thing. UK gamers who played arcades through late 80's-early 90's will be fine with stiffer, short-throw sticks like these and the Suzo 500's as they were commonplace in generic JAMMA cabinets during that time.

American gamers who got to play on original cabinets will likely prefer the looser feel of Happ or Midway cabinet sticks, whilst modern fighter enthusiasts and Eastern gamers will favour loose ball-top sticks like Seimetsu and Sanwa as found on candy cabs.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:42:30 pm »
American gamers who got to play on original cabinets will likely prefer the looser feel of Happ or Midway cabinet sticks, whilst modern fighter enthusiasts and Eastern gamers will favour loose ball-top sticks like Seimetsu and Sanwa as found on candy cabs.

So what does that make me, a primarily North American gamer (1978-87, 1989-present) who played on original cabinets with European roots who also played in the mid 80s for a year on Euro cabs (1987-1988) but prefers Sanwa and Competition sticks with concave NA style buttons? ;)  (Note: the answer cannot be an "arse"!)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:38 pm »

So what does that make me, a primarily North American gamer (1978-87, 1989-present) who played on original cabinets with European roots who also played in the mid 80s for a year on Euro cabs (1987-1988) but prefers Sanwa and Competition sticks with concave NA style buttons? ;)

Just generalising for the sake of comparison. I don't actually have a preference at all, but I have fond memories and am happy using tighter sticks from my later arcade playing days, but Americans frequently shoot down sticks like the Suzo 500. Likewise, younger gamers (in our experience) who remember later arcade gaming and modern console fighters (like SF4), tend to be at home with Sanwas and comment on the stiff feel of Suzo's we've demonstrated, as their main experiences were with later-imported candy cabs with Neo-Geo Fighters or Capcom's 'Vs.' series.

You're an oddity, but then only a year on Euro-style cabs you probably got to have a choice at other times. In the majority of the UK, we rarely saw original cabinets except in the very early days when JAMMA wasn't commonplace. From about 1985-1995 all you'd see was generic JAMMA cabinets and the few originals that did exist (such as 4-player cabs) frequently had their sticks swapped out for Suzo's.

richard d

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »

So what does that make me, a primarily North American gamer (1978-87, 1989-present) who played on original cabinets with European roots who also played in the mid 80s for a year on Euro cabs (1987-1988) but prefers Sanwa and Competition sticks with concave NA style buttons? ;)  (Note: the answer cannot be an "arse"!)

Funny, I was born in '68, I had a Pong game at home in the very early 70s(or whenever the were first avaiible), then an Atari 2600, I remember the black and white arcade games of the late 70s I played at the bowling alley, played Pacman and Donkey Kong when they were new in the early 80s, etc., etc. Maybe it's because as soon as I got my driver's license in '84 I kinda lost interest in video games, and haven't played on many arcade machines since then(really can't remember when I did last; has it really been 25 years ago?), but I like the feel of the 4 way on the Magstick, I've only been playing on it a couple time a week since I got it, and I'm already as good as I was when I was a kid..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:54:45 pm by richard d »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »
You're an oddity

LOL man this had me laughing hard...why yes sir, I am...awesome quote!

I agree with you in general though just wanted to throw my oddball example out and then you nailed the reason..im odd! ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials