Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Problems with Data East SW  (Read 1730 times)

Flake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
Problems with Data East SW
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:06:45 am »
Some background:

1.  DE SW has been folded up for about 4 months while I was living in an apartment waiting for house to get built.
2.  Machine was moved into new house about a month ago and was working fine initially.
3.  First sign of trouble was while playing a game a couple times the game would seem like it went into tilt mode and would shut down.  The game would not reset and it just kicked out another ball like it would if you tilted it.  Score remained intact as well.
4.  Last night I turn on the game, kick out a ball and it does its tilt mode thing but I also noticed the left flipper doesnt work at all.  I checked the wiring around the flipper best I can, reseated some wiring connectors, etc.  None of this helped and in fact I then had trouble with the start button not working.  After pushing on it several times I did get it to work once.  At this point it was getting late and I had to call it a night.

Questions:

1.  Does this sound like a famaliar problem to anyone?
2.  What would be your first place to look?
3.  Should I just call a pinball repair man?

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: Problems with Data East SW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:26 pm »
Make sure the flipper cabinet switches and end of stroke switches are clean. Clean with a business card or alcohol(do NOT file contacts!)

For the "tilt" problem, does it seem like the game is freezing up? Measure the +5v line, report back with readings of BOTH DCv and ACv.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »
Check for a broken switch diode in the Matrix starting with the TILT switch.

We all know how a bad Switch Matrix diode can cause all kinds of strange behavior.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:58:57 am »
So finally had a chance to revisit this.  Turns out the flipper problem was merely a bad solder joint (thank god).  Played several games with no tilt issue so hopefully that's not a real problem.

Thanks for the suggestions

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »
I also have a problem with my DATA EAST SW machine, when the Death Star opens and I shoot a ball in it, it doesn't always go into tri-ball mode.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:36:15 pm »
Sounds like a switch problem to me but I'd have to refer judgment to those more knowledgeable.