Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Popular games (that really suck)  (Read 11672 times)

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
Re: Popular games (that really suck)
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2011, 09:29:46 pm »
all mortal kombat..

mostly jokes if you start playing "competitively" with other people. then you realize how boring mk games are including the newest one. I have no idea what I doing and learned kung lao in like a day and pretty much won every match I played online lol..

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:47:17 pm by SNAAKE »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2011, 10:31:21 pm »
I got to play a dedicated Spy Hunter recently.  That game stinks.

You mean, You stink at Spy Hunter, and dont like that fact right?

Spy Hunter is a desert island game.  The AI is perfectly Awesome.  Every game is a new experience, with intensity rarely matched.

I may stink at Spy Hunter.  It still sucks.  I played it a lot as a kid thought I remembered liking it. 

Conversely I KNOW I stink at Donkey Kong but still love the game.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2011, 12:28:49 pm »
Everyones entitled to their opinions of course, but Id be curious to know what it is specifically about Spy Hunter that you dont like.

It has some of the Fastest racing speeds in any game.
 - multiples awesome weapons.
 - you can slam cars off the road!
 - You can take Hellicopters out of the sky with missiles.
 - You can turn into a boat, and release flaming trails of oil!
 - it has awesome theme song and sound fx

I just dont see whats not to like?

DK is a bit too clunky control wise for my tastes, and too slow. Its also a bit too cheap. I still play it occasionally, but would rather fire up something else.

And Yeah, Spy Hunter 2 was Wretched.  What a monumental disappointment.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2011, 07:45:18 pm »
]
 It has some of the Fastest racing speeds in any game.
 - multiples awesome weapons.
 - you can slam cars off the road!
 - You can take Hellicopters out of the sky with missiles.
 - You can turn into a boat, and release flaming trails of oil!
 - it has awesome theme song and sound fx

I don't disagree any of that. Recently I had an opportunity to play about 20 classic games that I had not seen in 20 years.  Spy Hunter was one of them and I was very excited at first for the reasons you list.  I played it a couple of times and found myself getting frustrated with the driving controls.   It actually reminded me a little of DK in how accurate you needed to be.  I Decided I would rather spend my limited time playing Defender and Asteroids Deluxe.   I did not find that Spy Hunter held up well at all.  Maybe if I had access to one and could play it regularly I would change my mind.

One thing I noticed was how similar the physics of Spy Hunter were to Bump N' Jump.  Makes we wonder if they share some of the same code.

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2011, 12:57:16 am »
Never really understood what made the FINAL FANTASY
games so appealing to everyone. I would just look at them and (insert fart sound)

Now Phantasy Star 2
for the Sea Genesis was my First RPG game and I thought thought that game was epic.
I remember almost crying when Nei(A charter you had at the very start) died to her sister Neifirst in a 1 vs 1 battle. I was like NOOOOOOOOOO that’s my ---smurfette---!

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »
It actually reminded me a little of DK in how accurate you needed to be.  I Decided I would rather spend my limited time playing Defender and Asteroids Deluxe.

I used to play Bump n Jump forever when I was a kid.  It was one of the games I probably played the most.  heh     But its interesting that you consider SH difficult, when I would think Defender is much more difficult and controls very quirky compared to most games.

I think you may be right though. Spend an hour or two with the game, and you start to get the hang of the way it works, and find little tips to keep alive longer.

One thing I found out that turned out to be very important.. is the ability to ram the switchblade cars when they are behind you.   This saves your weapons supplies.  As they are just coming up on your side, you can smash them right before their tires come into play.

Oil Slick is kinda like Asteroids Deluxe, in that its Time / volume based, rather than presses.  The longer you hold it down, the quicker you run out.

Shooting forward guns all the time is dangerous. Usually only do this when you need to kill a baddie.

- Be prepared for puddles, they can smash u into a car or off-road. Watch for car positions, and leave room for puddles slide effect should they come.

- Use pedestrian cars as shields.  The baddies have to get around them to get to you.
- Get to high gear, and stay there... but, reduce the pedal so its almost stalled out.   Going too fast in this game can be a death sentence. (unless you are in the die-free time period)   At this speed, you can still slow down if needed (such as almost about to hit a car), but you can also speed up very quickly to escape baddies.
-If you get a baddie off screen, it can take a while before they return.
- Go fast as possible without crashing, to cover a lot of ground, and get one or two extra men before the timer runs out.
- The ice level Suxs. I cant help you there.
- Dont go too fast on the boat stage.  You cant turn quick enough to avoid danger.
-Juke the helicopter, by staying in a place for a sec.  You have to be prepared for the curves in the road... so make sure you have the time and space needed to still have road room to evade into.
- Take out one baddie at a time.  Trying to fight a mob of bumpers inst good.
- When bumping, SLAM the wheel hard as you can.  The faster you move the wheel, the harder you can push the baddie.  The wheel wont break.. its made to do this.  If you bump too slow, it will be nullified.  If you wait too long, the baddies force will also be greater... so bump before them.
- The van has a graphical icon on top, which shows you whats inside it.
- Pressing the Van button doesnt make it come any faster / sooner.(its just a start button)

Now Phantasy Star 2

Phantasy Star 2 Pissed me off.  It was soooo bland and boring compared to PS1.  It also omitted the cool 3d dungeons.   PS1 is so much more creative.  If you have not played it, I suggest you go back and try it.

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2011, 01:03:56 pm »
I'd say Dragon's Lair.  I get why it was so popular, but the game mechanics have to be one of the lamest, most boring things around.  Memorize several short sequences and you've pretty much got it.  Don't memorize them and you have ZERO chance of being successful.  Not like most other games, where you can develop your own strategy and at least have the illusion that you're getting better.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

knohbody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2019, 11:49:53 pm
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2011, 01:39:53 am »
Fruit Ninja. Yes, it's an arcade game too. Three giant touchscreens in a triangle. Multiplayer... but only between two screens at a time. I don't think they made any changes to the graphics, and it costs about the same to play as it does to buy the game on your phone. It's an abberation, and yet people still play it.  :dunno

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2011, 07:39:23 pm »
Madden.  Too many buttons! 

I guess that shows that I am getting old.

If you can run one of these you can play Madden.   There's some buttons.  ;D

That's different.  Those games are all classics!  ;D

Madden comes out every year with a few upgrades and/or changes?  I don't see how people can justify buying it every year.  But I guess some don't understand retrogaming either.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2011, 09:32:42 am »
Madden comes out every year with a few upgrades and/or changes?  I don't see how people can justify buying it every year.  But I guess some don't understand retrogaming either.

I thought the updates were incremental as far as game mechanics and graphics but the big updates was updated players.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2011, 11:47:14 am »

I thought the updates were incremental as far as game mechanics and graphics but the big updates was updated players.

The player updates are the biggest deal with my son.  He can't wait for Friday each week when they update the rosters and player rankings based on the previous games.  Yesterday Josh McCown was added to the Bears roster and he is right now "trying him out" against the Chiefs.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »
Ok, don't throw anything at me... Galaga.  I prefer to play Galaxian, Astro Blaster, a whole slew of other 'contemporaries'.  Maybe because it has the fame it does (even non-gamers know Galaga) I tend to secretly roll my eyes when someone asks to play it.  I guess that's not the same as saying it sucks, but overrated IMO.

Wrong thread then?   

I prefer Galaxian over Galaga too, although I don't mind Galaga. It bugs me that the play count for Galaga is higher than Galaxian on my cab, because everyone that has ever visited and played the cab has gone straight to Galaga...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
  • Portland Trailblazers, FTW!
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2011, 04:42:41 pm »
I prefer Galaxian over Galaga too, although I don't mind Galaga. It bugs me that the play count for Galaga is higher than Galaxian on my cab, because everyone that has ever visited and played the cab has gone straight to Galaga...

Hmmm.  I don't mind Galaxian, but I really love Galaga!  What sucks?  I'd have to say Tempest.  Not truly horrible, but most definitely overrated!  WAY to difficult!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature and help him on his quest for world domination.

Best,
Wizkid32

popsicle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2023, 11:07:15 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,104229.msg1102713.html#msg1102713
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2011, 05:26:12 pm »

Hmmm.  I don't mind Galaxian, but I really love Galaga!  What sucks?  I'd have to say Tempest.  Not truly horrible, but most definitely overrated!  WAY to difficult!

WHat?!  Are you playing with a keyboard or something?  Tempest and Warlords are the reason I put spinners in my cocktail cab. 

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2011, 05:34:25 pm »
The spinner does help, but it is just not my cup of tea.
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2011, 05:43:21 pm »
The spinner does help, but it is just not my cup of tea.
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2011, 04:56:56 am »

WHat?!  Are you playing with a keyboard or something?  Tempest and Warlords are the reason I put spinners in my cocktail cab. 

Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar with a rotary controller is fereakin' awesome  :notworthy:

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

wizkid32

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2011, 03:37:59 pm »

Warlords yes!  I love that game, it's  :censored: (Censoring myself) awesome!  Plus Arkanoid.
(\__/)

Best,
Wizkid32

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »
I didn't care for Pole Position.

nitz

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2015, 07:57:29 pm
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2011, 09:17:54 pm »
Fighting games are generally overrated, most of them suck. And this comes from someone who was a teenager in the 90s. I was down with the SF2 games and MK games and still enjoy them semi-often. I liked Killer Instinct at the time, but it has aged badly, I don't much care for it anymore. I might play just a little bit of Tekken, Virtua Fighter, or King of Fighters now and then.

The rest of them are pretty crap IMO. I always find them generic and dull and/or too much like work to learn how to play well.