Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PolyCarbinite CP Graphix or Plexi?  (Read 3021 times)

scream1973

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2014, 10:28:46 am
PolyCarbinite CP Graphix or Plexi?
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:01:51 pm »
What would everyone recommend as the path here..

Doing a 3/4 CP with polycarb CP graphix or just regular printed graphix with a plexi cover..

Pros and Cons of each?

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
Re: PolyCarbinite CP Graphix or Plexi?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:08:48 pm »
Polycarbonate. Its how steak is done.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:48:29 pm »
Polycarbonate is what Gamongrafix uses for their CPOs, right?

It is very durable and easier than having to do acrylic over it.
some say that the polycarbonate is expensive but you don't than have to buy acrylic.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »
Polycarbonate is easier to work with. Its more pliable but scratches easier.
Plexi (acrylic) is harder and more brittle. You have to be careful not to crack it while making cuts/holes. More scratch resistant.

I've used both, but I like the scratch resistance of Plexi even though its not as easy to work with.

scream1973

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2014, 10:28:46 am
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:00:21 pm »
Yes this is what GameonGraphix uses.. which is why i was asking because i could get it printed and then be done vs printing plus then the cost of plexi.. ( Plexi isnt overly cheap in canada) .. It would probably cost me the same for the plexi as it would to do the print on poly

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »
I now have one of each.   I guess if I were to make a third machine, I would just go for the Poly again.   My plexi is a bit scratched from playing while wearing my watch, and I've been playing the Poly one like that for years and haven't noticed anything.   Both have thier pluses.  But for how much effort it is vs how much you get out of it, I 'll stick with Poly next time.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »
I now have one of each.   I guess if I were to make a third machine, I would just go for the Poly again.   My plexi is a bit scratched from playing while wearing my watch, and I've been playing the Poly one like that for years and haven't noticed anything.   Both have thier pluses.  But for how much effort it is vs how much you get out of it, I 'll stick with Poly next time.

Interesting.  Seems like the opposite of others experience.

So how thick is GameonGraphix's Polycarbonate CPOs?  Can I cut holes with an Exacto knife or does it need to be drilled?

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:07:41 am »

Huh??

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:26:47 am »
Yes this is what GameonGraphix uses.. which is why i was asking because i could get it printed and then be done vs printing plus then the cost of plexi.. ( Plexi isnt overly cheap in canada) .. It would probably cost me the same for the plexi as it would to do the print on poly

I think you may have answered your own question here.

So how thick is GameonGraphix's Polycarbonate CPOs?  Can I cut holes with an Exacto knife or does it need to be drilled?
It cuts fine with an exacto knife

I just dismantled my old control panel and noticed how the cpo from mamemarquees (now gamongrafix) is still in great shape with no scratches.
I will be ordering another cpo from them for my new cpo.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:02:44 am »

Huh??

Plexi is harder a more scratch resistant than polycarbonate (Makrolon is the specific brand I used), so I'd say that is why he's surprised to hear someone claim the opposite.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 09:14:27 am »
It cuts fine with an exacto knife

I just dismantled my old control panel and noticed how the cpo from mamemarquees (now gamongrafix) is still in great shape with no scratches.
I will be ordering another cpo from them for my new cpo.

Thanks.  I'll likely go with GonG then.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 09:19:50 am »

Huh??

Plexi is harder a more scratch resistant than polycarbonate (Makrolon is the specific brand I used), so I'd say that is why he's surprised to hear someone claim the opposite.

Yes.  markronz said that his plexi cpo scratched but his poly cpo didn't.  Most everything I've read (here and elsewhere) says that poly scratches easier than plexi.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:28:36 am »
I've built several machines. I've used plexi a few times and poly for a majority of the machines. I prefer poly.

Plexi looks nice once it's first installed, but I've had issues with it curling up at the corners and dust getting in between the plexi and the artwork. I don't really have an issue with scratching with either one. It's in my home and it gets played by kids and adults. I don't ask them to be gently, but people are generally nice to the machines.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:23:48 am »
I think there is a little confusion in this thread, we are really talking about 3 option here:

1/8 acrylic sheet over artwork (Harder to scratch, a little harder to work with, Removable)

1/8 polycarbonate sheet over artwork (scratches easy, easier to work with, Removable)

8mil polycarbonate laminated to artwork from Game on Graphics/Mamem Marquees (very scratch resistant, very easy to work with, Non-Removable)

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 11:38:52 am »
I think there is a little confusion in this thread, we are really talking about 3 option here:

1/8 acrylic sheet over artwork (Harder to scratch, a little harder to work with, Removable)

1/8 polycarbonate sheet over artwork (scratches easy, easier to work with, Removable)

8mil polycarbonate laminated to artwork from Game on Graphics/Mamem Marquees (very scratch resistant, very easy to work with, Non-Removable)

Ah, I see.  But why the difference in scratch resistance between 1/8 and 8mil polycarbonate?  Are they different types of polycarbonate (like say mild steel vs tool steel)?

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 12:05:23 pm »
I believe the original poster is contiplating between either printed graphics covered with plexi or graphics printed by gameongrafix.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »

8mil polycarbonate laminated to artwork from Game on Graphics/Mame Marquees (very scratch resistant, very easy to work with, Non-Removable)

Ah, I see.  But why the difference in scratch resistance between 1/8 and 8mil polycarbonate?  Are they different types of polycarbonate (like say mild steel vs tool steel)?

That's a Good Question

the polycab laminate is slightly textured and has a matt finish, the polycarb sheet is glossy and smooth, but I think there's more to it than that. I imagine the manufacturing process is very different

I believe the original poster is contiplating between either printed graphics covered with plexi or graphics printed by gameongrafix.

I think a few people were talking about polycarb sheet and I just wanted to clarify