Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wide-Body Taito Classic: 1/12/12 UPDATE!! STENCILS!!  (Read 47416 times)

VanillaGorilla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
I just used a spade bit for the joystick hole. The aluminum is soft as wood, so if you proceed carefully its pretty simple. lay the aluminum on a piece of MDF for backing, and just go to town.

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
Re: Wide-Body Taito Classic: 1/12/12 UPDATE!!
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2012, 12:31:22 pm »
Can't believe it's almost a year since I started this thread....Life gets tricky sometimes, but cool heads prevail,  8), and spray paint! Details to follow, but, it really went incredibly well and came out better than I expected it to.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:47:34 pm by VanillaGorilla »

Nephasth

Looks great! I was beginning to worry this project died...

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
The stencils took some time in getting aligned, but once I established the X/Y origin, it went down really well. Make sure you have a rubber or plastic squeegie at the ready to chase out air bubbles under the stencil.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:46:38 pm by VanillaGorilla »

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
Picking out the negative space was the biggest PITA. But, slow and steady wins the race....have a bourbon, and PICK!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:47:05 pm by VanillaGorilla »

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
Voila! Taito-tastic!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:46:05 pm by VanillaGorilla »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Fresh!  So glad this project got an update.  It's looking damn good! :applaud:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: Wide-Body Taito Classic: 1/12/12 UPDATE!! STENCILS!!
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2012, 02:33:16 pm »
Hot Damn!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2012, 05:04:00 pm »
Wow, that is VERY sexy.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »
I swear, if I hadn't seen the description of the project and the photos of the build, I'd think he just bought a NOS cabinet.  :dizzy:

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2012, 11:20:29 pm »
I appreciate the kind words!

Hot Damn? Sexy?!

You'd think I posted naked pictures of Scarlett Johansen by your comments! It really feels good to have made some progress..its a long time coming and the way the past year has gone, I'm surprised I ever got back to it. In the past 12 months I broke up with my fiancee, lost a job, was diagnosed with an illness, crashed my car....not a good year on the surface. But the fiancee came back 9 months later, I lost 75 pounds and got into a good weight training routine, addressed my health issues, fixed the car and improved the job situation, so all in all, I actually came out ahead in the end. Not a fun ride, and I much prefer the view from here, so I'm very grateful to find myself with the time or ambition to work on the Taito!

"I'd think he just bought a NOS cabinet." - Sincerely, thank you. Thats what I'm going for...I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, just want to pay homage to the past, and sneak in some tech improvements that have occurred in the last 30 years. Thats why I flipped the stencil on the coin door upside down, just to put up a 'flag' for those who care enough to notice or know enough to care...I'm not trying to create a precious 100% stock restoration. I made it wider by 5 inches, so 'authentic' went out the window from the get-go. I kept the lime green, but did the stencil in a blue gradient instead of dark green.... But, to the average bear, it will just look like any other old arcade game (but in surprisingly good shape!). I've always been a sucker for a 'sleeper'. I used to have a 4-cylinder Saab that put out 260 HP and could hit 150 MPH. Nothing like the confused look of a guy driving a corvette disappearing in the rear view.... Now to get the control panel overlay and marquee ordered...

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2012, 11:52:52 pm »
A few specifics:

Full Disclosure: I was a professional spray finisher for about a decade. Its also been about that long since I've painted anything this large. I'm glad I can say I held onto some of what I learned.

It was sprayed with 4 coats of Benjamin Moore oil in an eggshell finish. It took almost exactly 1 quart to the drop. I thinned the paint with Xylene in order for it to flash off quickly since I painted it in an upright position. You don't want to be fixing runs and drips in your paint. I sprayed the first coat at 7 am, and the second at 10pm. I let that dry for 36 hours. I then flat sanded with 320 grit after 2 coats to remove any dust or imperfections. The 2 top coats came out really clean, and outside of lightly tacking off the surface with a tack rag between the last two coats (12 hours between coats),  I felt no need to do anything further to the green. I really like the 'orange peel' that resulted. Not too heavy, barely there.

I applied the stencils a week later, which took about an hour per side. I dulled out the areas to be painted with a grey scotch brite abrasive pad and abrasive scuffing compound, which is like wet kitchen cleanser. I cleaned up the resulting mess with fresh water, and then wiped down the surface with a de-greaser. This ensures adhesion. You only get one shot with the stencils, so it HAS to work. I applied the lighter blue first, and then fogged in the darker blue at the bottom. I was too careful though; I didn't want a dramatic gradient, but I have to admit, it could have been a bit more more obvious and it wouldn't have hurt. I'm satisfied in the end :)

I cant believe I'm doing this, but another shout out to Harbor Freight! I bought an HVLP spray gun for 14.98 to paint this cabinet. It is a Chinese direct knock off of a Sata brand spray gun that I used to spray with professionally, and which cost about $700 in 1995. I was really shocked at how well it sprayed. I don't know how long it will last, but for 15 bucks, it already paid for itself. If you have any doubts, just buy one.

If you do decide to spray at home, be sure to buy yourself an air line dryer and a bottle of fish eye remover. Nothing worse than spraying out your paint only to come back later and scream in horror at the acne your paint developed while you left the room. Silicones and other airborne chemicals from household cleaners etc, will play hell with the quality of your finish coat. These 2 preventative measures will save your butt if you dont have access to a spray booth. I just built a tent out of plastic drop cloth, and ventilated the area with a fan mounted to plywood in a window opening. You can get surprisingly professional results in a spare room at home if you just prep everything correctly and plan ahead.

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
Fresh!  So glad this project got an update.  It's looking damn good! :applaud:

Right back at you! I think I'm waiting on 2 or 3 of yours to finish, I really like your approach to your builds/restorations...That robotron is going to be sick when its painted!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Fresh!  So glad this project got an update.  It's looking damn good! :applaud:

Right back at you! I think I'm waiting on 2 or 3 of yours to finish, I really like your approach to your builds/restorations...That robotron is going to be sick when its painted!
I know, I've been bad with getting my projects finished. I work in the current gaming industry, and lately we've been pushing towards our release date, so it's been rough trying to get the time and energy to do anything hobby related. That and I've been getting through my art commissions for some members here, so that doesn't help get things done. 2 or 3?  Lets see, Robotron, my Canucks Cocktail update? and perhaps my Burgertime bartop?
Robotron is going to happen, that's for sure. Every time I play it, I think "damn, this would be 10,000 times better if this baby was minty". I'm determined to get my Canucks Cocktail updated this month, got all the new parts sitting here staring at me.  And the Burgertime bartop, I've pretty much put it on low priority. Definitely after Robotron gets a facelift.

Sorry to hear about your crummy year, but like I say with life, "Everything's a means-to-a-means". What doesn't kill ya, makes you stronger, and it sounds like you've hardened. Now you're made with "sterner stuff", and it's good to hear that you've got  through it all on top!  :cheers:

Saab huh?  When I lived in California for a bit, I owned a '94 Saab 9-3. I really Loved that car. It had 180hp and turbo charged, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it ran on 4-cylinders and was light a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---! I would beat Porsches of the line and get the same bewildered look in my rear view mirror as you did. That car was so fun, so zippy, dodgey & weevy! I once opened it up at 3am to 180mph on an I5 straight-away (there were no cars to be seen), just to see if I could, and man did it hold together solid. No shaking, smooth riding, love that Swedish engineering.  Aaaaaah... :lol

Keep up the good work bro. Don't worry too much about the purity of the cabinet, you're paying it so much homage that you don't have to worry, it's a refreshing update to a wonderful cabinet design. It looks great, and it's aesthetically better than a majority of the "new" projects out there now. Taito cabs have always been a favourite of mine, and I'm glad to see yours coming out to be so..."SEXY" roawrrrrrrr! :lol

:cheers:

*edit: I'm honored to have wrote my 1800th post here on your thread!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:57:19 am by opt2not »

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
Re: Wide-Body Taito Classic
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2012, 06:01:30 am »
And the other unexpected benefit, in my opinion, is having the real estate to play with the background and bezel graphics turned on in MAME:

How do you do that?! I have a bunch of these marquees, and I'm running hyperspin. Is it the MAME emulator itself that needs the bezel graphics?
It looks awesome!

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:52 am »
Yes, its part of MAME. You can get the marquees and bezels from the site mrdosarcade. After you put them in your /artwork folder, go into the 'tab' menu in mame, under video options you can enable or disable the bezel artwork.

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2012, 11:25:48 am »
Yes, its part of MAME. You can get the marquees and bezels from the site mrdosarcade. After you put them in your /artwork folder, go into the 'tab' menu in mame, under video options you can enable or disable the bezel artwork.

This is one of the coolest options in MAME IMO.  I love having the bezels show up around vertical games.  Give a fantastic illusion of the real thing.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2012, 09:29:06 pm »
Love the paint job!  Love the Taito cabs!   :applaud:

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

theredlineboss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 12:00:45 pm
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »
Looking great!  I like how the color combo is a nod to the machine's past. :D

-Rob

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2012, 06:00:43 am »

This is one of the coolest options in MAME IMO.  I love having the bezels show up around vertical games.  Give a fantastic illusion of the real thing.

Awh.. I had a torrent with all of the bezels, but I guess I deleted them. I didn't know I could use them with the emulator.

I have all control panels, cabinets, bezels etc. I think I now have everything but the bezels.
Do I have to download ONE BY ONE?...

Please help :D

If I must download everything, I would be happy to create a torrent or a FTP to make it easier to download everything!

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2012, 09:14:10 am »
If I must download everything, I would be happy to create a torrent or a FTP to make it easier to download everything!

You mean that you're going to download all of the individual bezels and create a torrent or FTP site for others to download them? You might want to contact mrdosarcade and work something out with them, they are constantly adding new bezels and marquees. I wish that they already did this, but they may have their reasons? Downloading individual files is a pain in my as*.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2012, 09:59:18 am »
Far and away one of the best paint jobs this site has seen in a while.  Very professional look and execution.  HoF material.  Thanks for sharing!  ;D   

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2012, 10:20:50 am »
Far and away one of the best paint jobs this site has seen in a while.  Very professional look and execution.  HoF material.  Thanks for sharing!  ;D   

Aw shucks, thanks! Its a huge relief to have the paint done. Going forward to completion should be a cakewalk, and a marquee and control panel overlay ought to ice the cake, so to speak...speaking of which, I need to post my layouts and get some feedback from you guys before I send em in to get printed. Maybe later today....

Nephasth

« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2012, 12:03:28 pm »
This one still alive 'n kickin?

swaffar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2016, 03:34:15 pm
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2012, 12:18:04 pm »
Great job.  I like the clean, simple stenciling. :applaud:
My projects:

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 09:58:40 am
  • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
    • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
Re: Wide-Body Taito Classic: UPDATED w/ 4.5" Atari trackball re-build
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2012, 11:10:58 pm »
Added p1 & p2 start Atari Volcano switches!! I got 2 tall and 2 short ones off of ebay for $14. They're still really grungy, as the macro shows  :o

They'll get completely cleaned up in the end, but for now they're good enough for a test fit. I used a scrap from the trackball mounting plate, to recess mount these as well.

I bondo'd the mount into the control panel, routed and recessed like the maxi. Then I wired up the required resistors in line with the 5v lead. Heat shrink for protection, and a quick connect, just like they were done originally.

Mounted and test-lit:

SWEET! I cannot express how much pleasure it brings me to have these buttons. They just scream arcade to me; They're like the cherry (switches) on top of the sundae!

Hey gorilla you still working on this? I need to know what size hole did you drill for the volcano buttons in the metal and wood?

Great Cab hope its still coming along!! if not you want to sell it!!!!Great Classics cab! :drool

Nephasth

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2012, 10:35:22 pm »

I hope so... :-\

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
Wide-Body Taito Classic: 1/12/12 UPDATE!! STENCILS!!
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2012, 03:47:54 pm »

I hope so... :-\

I do too this is such a nice cab.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2012, 07:02:27 am »
I do too this is such a nice cab.

Agreed.  This build has a lot to like.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Nephasth

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2013, 07:49:21 pm »
News?

Nephasth

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 11:01:24 am »
Checkin' for a pulse...

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2018, 03:44:06 pm »
There's been a recent sighting... hoping for an update. ;D
%Bartop