Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unnamed Arcade Project  (Read 4350 times)

thrasherx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2023, 07:42:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Unnamed Arcade Project
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:42 pm »
Material: MDF or Plywood (Cabinet height: 81.5", Cabinet width: 43.5", CP width: 48", CP depth: 16")
Monitor: 39" LED LCD TV
CPU: Pentium D860 w/ 8GB DDR3, 1 TB HDD and 100GB SSD
XBOX 360 (RGH) w/ 2 MadCatz hacked pads
Controls: 4 x Seimitsu LS-32, 1 or 2 x Zippy joysticks, Arcade Prime Push Buttons, Happ Trackball w/ Optiwiz
Coindoor: 2 x 2-Player coin doors from Twisted Quarter or similar.
Art/Theme: TBD

Issue #1: Material
I have 3 4'x8' sheets of 3/4" MDF at my disposal.  They need to be flattened out a bit, as they've been sitting in a humidity controlled environment.  A friend of mine has a home-made CNC that cuts up to 4'x6'.  With some time and luck, I'd like to recreate everything in AutoCAD or similar (currently mocked-up in Illustrator).  I like the light-weight aspect of the plywood.  I play on doing vinyl graphics from GoG for the side panels, and the control panel.  Everything else will be painted.

Issue #2: LCD Rotation
I'm going back-and-forth about rotating the LCD.  I've seen some excellent implementations, but I'm not sure I want to spend the time/money on it.  Are other emulators (demul, TTX, etc.) able to be scripted properly?  I've been setting up everything with Hyperspin, but have seen a few decent MALA themes and would consider switching.  If I do decide to rotate the monitor, I'll return it to landscape orientation before going back to the front-end.  Vertical themes are not currently an impedance. 

Questions:
1) Will a 20"x25" Shmup be overwhelming at ~24" distance?
2) I got a flush trackball and would like to do vinyl overtop without doing a plexiglass panel.  My joysticks have standard length shafts and I'd like to avoid buying extended ones.  I'll be top-mounting and routing the CP 1/16" or so to smooth everything out.  How do I apply graphics over the trackball mount and the joystick plates?

Thanks in advance for the support and encouragement.  This has been 16 years in the making (ever since my last run to Putt-Putt fun and games).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:35:12 pm by thrasherx »

Hornet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2013, 08:31:46 pm
    • Camera Restoration Materials
Re: Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 08:10:23 pm »
How do I apply graphics over the trackball mount and the joystick plates?
Not sure on the trackball, but joysticks can be mounted from underneath the CP, I am making a bartop and plan to use this method here; http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130690.msg1347104.html#msg1347104

One question, why 1 TB HDD and 100GB SSD? Would I be right in thinking 100SSD for OS, Front End, Emulators, ect. and the HDD for storage?

I'm surprised no one has replied to your proposal, it sounds like a mammoth project and not only in size. I don't have a great deal of experience so I can't give you much advice but encouragement I can give, so go for it buddy! Don't wait another 16 years!   ;D

I will follow your build with great interest.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:19:44 pm by Hornet »
ME- Its a bartop.
WIFE- But we don't have a bar.
ME- That's my next project! ;-)

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

You're correct regarding the HDD configuration.  I'd eventually like to whittle down everything to fit in the SSD. Having too many games makes it hard to find the ones I really like :)

I've been following the retrograde build and I like what he's done.  I have the resources to bottom mount the joysticks, but it would mean getting extended shafts for 5-6 sticks and that means more play in the throw.  I chose the LS-32 because I love shmups and am willing to deal with how it performs with other genres.  I got the Zippys for simple 4-way gameplay.

MaLa is looking more and more tempting as a FE, as I'm interested in combining all arcade games into one list.  There are plans being made to install an HDMI matrix and 50 ft. USB extension for classic controllers and run a second frontend for console games that would be played in the living room, on the sofa, where they belong to be played. So, possibly MaLa for arcades and HyperSpin for consoles.  Whatever I do, I'd like to utilize EmuMovies to the fullest extent possible.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:06:57 am »
For the trackball, once you route out a pocket so the TB mount is installed flush (bondo/sand around edges as needed), you can apply/trim the vinyl before installing the TB.

The four outer screws hold the mount to the CP and the four inner screws hold the TB to the mount.

For the joystick, instead of top-mounting, consider using EMDB's shallow undermount method here.
-- Route a pocket on the bottom of the CP the size of the joystick mount plate

-- Add support blocks

-- Make a metal support plate to hold up the joystick and support blocks
-- Secure the metal support plate to the underside of the CP using 4 threaded inserts (he went a little overboard :o )

This method gives you a smooth top for the vinyl, allows you to use the shorter shafts, and allows you to remove/replace the sticks without tearing up your art.   :cheers:

Also consider getting the quieter switches for the Zippyy's and LS-32's.

Paradise sells them here and GGG offers them as an upgrade on the Zippyy.

Scott

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:17:31 am »
-- Make a metal support plate to hold up the joystick and support blocks
-- Secure the metal support plate to the underside of the CP using 4 threaded inserts (he went a little overboard :o )
;D

Hornet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2013, 08:31:46 pm
    • Camera Restoration Materials
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:22:37 am »
EMBD I will use the same method on my build. I think you may of set a trend here. Maybe the joystick companies should include a plate and inserts with their joysticks.
ME- Its a bartop.
WIFE- But we don't have a bar.
ME- That's my next project! ;-)

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:54:49 am »
I may just have to use this method.  Thanks for the advice on the trackball mount.  Will I need to bondo the face of the mount itself?  It has a bumpy texture and I'm thinking the vinyl isn't so stiff that it will hide it.

My LS-32 sticks have the built in connector.  I'm sure I could desolder the switches from the PCB, but I'll have to think about it.  I've been using them for awhile and admittedly wouldn't mind not having as much clicking.

This thread is finally getting rolling.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 10:32:53 am »
Will I need to bondo the face of the mount itself?  It has a bumpy texture and I'm thinking the vinyl isn't so stiff that it will hide it.
Vinyl will almost certainly show the texture if you don't use bondo or something similar to give you a smooth surface.

My LS-32 sticks have the built in connector.  I'm sure I could desolder the switches from the PCB, but I'll have to think about it.  I've been using them for awhile and admittedly wouldn't mind not having as much clicking.

Oops!  You have LS-32-01 or LS-32-02 sticks with a 5-pin connector, not LS-32 sticks that use regular lever arm switches with QD tabs.

Not sure if there are any sound dampening mods for those models.

Scott

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
I may just have to use this method. 

EMBD I will use the same method on my build. I think you may of set a trend here. Maybe the joystick companies should include a plate and inserts with their joysticks.
I'm glad I can contribute a bit to the scene.  :cheers:   Inserts are not that big of a problem to get but the top plates could become a bestseller...

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 01:16:32 pm »
I may end up just  desoldering the switches on the LS-32-01 and replace them with the quiet ones.  That's assuming there wouldn't be a structural issue.  Time to investigate...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:52:46 pm »
I may end up just  desoldering the switches on the LS-32-01 and replace them with the quiet ones.  That's assuming there wouldn't be a structural issue.  Time to investigate...

The structural issue is that the silent switches I linked to above have Quick Disconnect (QD) tabs on the narrow sides instead of solder lugs on the wide side.

LS-32 parts

QD-style lever microswitch

LS-40-01 parts (PCB and switches are similar to the LS-32-01)

A JLF PCB with soldered switches (two silver circles in each corner)

Scott
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:55:58 pm by PL1 »

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 03:28:12 pm »
I'm cool with the QD.  After all, the Lono4 comes with QD connectors.  I love that thing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:38:53 pm by thrasherx »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 02:23:45 am »
I'm cool with the QD.
:banghead:
It's not a question of if you are "cool" with it.

It's a square peg/round hole issue.

The two switch types are mechanically incompatible due to different mounting/connection methods.

I don't know if it is practical (or even if it is possible) to properly and reliably mod the -01 stick to take the QD-style switches.

Picture some guy buying a car with an automatic transmission.

Not knowing it's an auto, another guy suggests upgrading to a hurst shifter.

The first guy agrees that he'd like to improve the shifting on the car.

He mentions that he only has two pedals, but he's cool with upgrading the shifter.   :dizzy:   :dizzy:   :dizzy:

It may be theoretically possible, but is it worth the effort and will it work right?

Scott

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 07:42:39 am »
Well, it will only require removing a few screws and buying a $3 part to find out. Calm down.

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 11:47:24 am »
It appears it will work.  I actually have the LS-32-02.  The difference being the flat plate vs the s-plate.  I'll report back when I find out for sure.

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:00:26 am »
:)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:48 am »
Apologies.  :embarassed:

Didn't realize that the -01/-02 base had microswitch alignment nubs on it.   :banghead:

Glad the mod was far easier than I thought it would be.   :cheers:

Does it work as good as it looks?

Scott

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:05:20 am »
Hey, no problem!  I too am glad the mod was easy.  They're way quieter but haven't had a chance to test them out.  I got 6 kits from paradise.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:38 am »
[deity] knows I love rotation.  However If I build a 39" lcd 4 player cab today, i would not rotate the display.  I would run the vert games in the middle with bezels.  I would make the cab fairly shallow and the CP fairly deep to get a good viewing distance.  I'd mock up the cp and display for a few hours of play to tune that distance and angle. 

If I needed to rotate 39"+, i'd be looking at a showcase type setup. 

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
Unnamed Arcade Project
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:02 pm »
[deity] knows I love rotation.  However If I build a 39" lcd 4 player cab today, i would not rotate the display.  I would run the vert games in the middle with bezels.  I would make the cab fairly shallow and the CP fairly deep to get a good viewing distance.  I'd mock up the cp and display for a few hours of play to tune that distance and angle. 

If I needed to rotate 39"+, i'd be looking at a showcase type setup.

The cab already is fairly shallow.  I could trim off 1-2" width from the cabinet and a few inches if height if I didn't rotate.  I estimate my viewing distance to be roughly 24".  Right now it's sized to be able to clear most interior doorways (~81" tall).  The control panel width will be 48" so I'm not losing much by making the cabinet 42" wide instead of 42".  I'm afraid that making it too shallow with a very deep control panel will lend to tipping forward.

The added cost and complexity (not to mention scripting non-MAME emulators) is a bit much to swallow.  I haven't seen any large LCD rotation setups and I thought I'd give it a shot.

I value your feedback. This is my first build but I've spent countless hours thinking about and reading build logos, including yours.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:03:11 pm by thrasherx »

thrasherx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 11:26:17 am »
Apologies.  :embarassed:

Didn't realize that the -01/-02 base had microswitch alignment nubs on it.   :banghead:

Glad the mod was far easier than I thought it would be.   :cheers:

Does it work as good as it looks?

Scott

The mod works great.  Now I have to re-train myself with fighters and sh'mups.