Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Birdie King 3 turned Mame (until official name comes to mind)  (Read 4562 times)

wetwaterwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2014, 02:28:20 am
  • First Time Mamer
Birdie King 3 turned Mame (until official name comes to mind)
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:05:26 am »
Hello All,

I'm new to this whole Mame game thing and pretty much arcades in general.  I have always loved tinkering and challenging myself to go above and beyond what I am capable of doing.  So for me, this is as much about building the cabinet for the challenge of doing it as much as the actual game play.  Another aspect of this is that I was born after the golden area of gaming, being a 91 baby, so I want to recreate an experience that my parents grew up with.  I have always loved the older games and my NES gets played 2x as much as my 360. But enough of this  :blah: and on to where I am at.

*uploading pictures to the thread so I can link them*

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
Re: Birdie King 3 turned Mame (until official name comes to mind)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:25:13 am »
Well, I had issues with the picture thread. Oh well, (noob stuff I know)

I am currently in college, building this cabinet in my dorm room (Roommate probably hates me, as well as the resident advisors)
That being said, This build is going to be on a VERY limited budget, and with very limited tools.  I am mainly making this thread as documentation for me so I can look back and see what I have accomplished.  The finish will not be as nice as many of the cabs on here, nor have as many cool effects.  I also posted this here looking for advice and suggestions.  Lastly, possibly to inspire someone that says, I don't have as much money or time as some of these guys, to just go for it.  And once again sorry for all of the  :blah:

The computer I am starting with is a Dell inspiron 1525 With 3GB of ram and a dual core pentium processor @ 2.00 Ghz
My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit with EVERYTHING turned off. I've got it down to like 20 processes.

I picked up a Birdie King 3 Cabinet that was pretty stripped down. It still has the marquee and the side art is so so. I also have the boards if anyone is interested in them. idk if they are working or not. make an offer.

I would also be willing to sell the marquee if anyone is interested. I would prefer to trade it for one of these awesome Mame ones I have been seeing.

Here are some pics of the cabinet and and the computer.

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:55:00 am »
Some of my pictures are too big to post so until I set up photoshop on the new computer I will have to only show you some of the smaller ones

A little progress.

I got a surround sound receiver and a 27" sony CRT with S-video in for free!
The receiver has a few channels that don't work but I can still hook up 5 speakers with it so my Mame cabinet is definitely getting a jukebox option.

So plugged in the TV and beautiful. Played some donkey kong on it and it was just absolutely gorgeous. Couldn't be happier.
Then lay the TV down and Discharge it. Pretty little pop, nobody died, life is good. Unbolt the tube from the case, unplug the wires lay the board to the side. Now the hard part. I try picking the tube up but it takes the case with it. Ok, tip it up make sure there are no bolts, Check. Wiggle, pry, check, repeat. Then all at once it gives, tips over and bust the back of the tube off.  I was so livid I had to go take a walk to calm down.

SO to craigslist! lucky for me the hotel down the road upgraded TVs and was selling their old ones off cheap.  A little bit of haggling and I was bringing home a 27" Sanyo CRT with S-video for $10.  Not a bad setback.

At this point I have the TV set in my cabinet and my board bolted down. Plug everything in, Awesome, my favorite characters walking across the screen. Not nearly as clear as the Sony but hey, It's still a monitor. Plus, when funds are available, I will probably get a cap kit for it.

First Pic is of the Sony that I broke.
Second Pic is a mock up of the buttons and Joystick, in the box they came in.

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:38 am »
The monitor sitting in it's new home. As for power supply and wiring and all, I will go over more of that later, but working on it is more fun that talking about it, so till, I get back on here

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:15:42 pm »
Hey, nice start. I almost picked up a Birdie King cab a while back to MAME, before another ended up in my lap. I really like the lines on that cab.

I wish my dorm had a MAME cab... all we had at the time was Goldeneye 64  ;D
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:11:28 pm »
Oh don't worry, There is plenty of N64 action going on as well.  But thanks for the compliments, I have a test tomorrow but i will try to get some more pics up this weekend and maybe start on my control panel

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:17 am »
Ok, I've been busy with school and work, but I did manage to get a little done and here are some pics of the progress I've made. Some of this was made before hand but hey, who's following a time line. 

Here is a few pictures of the guts of my machine, as well as the start screen until Mala loads.

For now I am using a power strip with the computer having a push button on. I am gonna order my relay soon and I will wire it to be a homemade smart strip in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:07:00 am by wetwaterwalker »

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 12:12:43 am »
This computer is gonna meet an untimely end if it doesn't stop randomly orienting my pictures. But I have found a basic shape I am happy with on the CP and I have the player one and player two buttons arranged how I like. I am still iffy on the admin buttons though. I'm gonna post a few pics and any suggestions would be great!

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 12:18:17 am »
The player 2 controls will mirror the player one controls on the lower flat part of the CP. The upper blank area is where I am having the issues. It's hard to see from the pictures but I have a 24"x9" piece of wood that i need to fit two speakers, two admin buttons, player 1+2 buttons, and a volume control knob. The top corners of the piece are gonna be right about where the speakers are in the picture. I am torn between the two pictures in the previous post and the one in this post. I am leaning towards the two player buttons inline with the volume knob and the admin buttons on top. Any and all suggestions welcome.  Thanks!

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:30 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:17 am »
The only admin buttons you need are a wireless mouse and keyboard. And why on earth would you make people reach up to start a game? Put one and two on the panel and set up front end to exit game with press of both buttons at the same time and add credit buttons to the coin door.

good day.

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:04:55 am »
The only two buttons I mean by admin are a pause button and an exit game/shutdown button. I'm not really making people reach up to start a game. I'm sorry if I was unclear. I circled the area I was referring to in red.

I'm sorry for the poor quality illustrations,  I'm working with MS paint at the moment with a touchpad on a laptop.

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:06:28 am »
And for credits, I am using the coin mech and just leaving the coin door unlocked for the present

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:18:58 pm »
Well, I am making some progress. I got my control panel cut and and my buttons wired in. I have a few pictures but will upload them later. I have to write a paper tonight.  Oh the joys of college. Plus having the cabinet playable now really adds to the "things to do instead of my school work" list. xD I will get some better updates soon, I have just been playing it and debugging the issues. Well, that's all I have time for, I have to get to that college thing.

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »
Well some more of those pictures I have been promising. I actually have had a lot of this done for a few days but school, work and playing the thing (so addictive) have slowed my updating this thread.  I got the basic control panel cut out and all of the buttons and joysticks wired up.  I've got it set up to exit the game on player one and two pressed together.  During this time I also wired in the computer to be a push button. Then I did the cheap power strip trick.  So now the cabinet turns completely on with the one button push.  I also got the sound working, along with the marquee light. I pretty happy with the power strip as I desoldered a relay off the broken TV board and it is working perfectly! plus one for parts scavenging.  I also moved the volume control on my receiver and lengthened it to move the knob to the CP.  But here are the pictures!

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
Re: Birdie King 3 turned Mame (Working Title is "The Time Machine")
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:39 pm »
Hello all, Well, a few more updates.  First off, I got my Leds wired in. For now they are just hooked to an 12 volt wall adapter.  They are crazy bright though, So I did a little bit of playing with the voltage tester and apparently the wall adapter is putting out 27 volts!! So out of curiosity I checked my output out of the wall socket only to find that I am pulling 195 volts out of a 110 outlet!?!?!  :dizzy: The joys of living in an old dorm apparently. I'm amazed everything hasn't blown up. I also got a buddy of mine to make a donation and we ended up splitting a set of aimtrak gun kits. Between that and finding an old set of .45 happ guns and holsters online for 5 bucks a piece I soon will be having arcade guns on my set up  :cheers:.

So because of the light guns, I had to move the TV boards in the back for a little more clearance and tilt my TV up more towards vertical.  So here is a few pics of that as well.

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:02 pm »
I've also got a name that is not official but the most likely candidate for the time being.  I have posted a picture of my VERY rough draft of my marquee. I almost didn't want to post it but I am kind of looking for some suggestions. Personally I think the title kind of blends in to much...  Also, Tapper in the top right corner is very rough right now because I didn't really put in the effort because I'm thinking about ditching him. I'm thinking about replacing it with the space ship from defender. I'm also thinking about making the lower left match the other corners a little bit better. All suggestions welcome.

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
I've been making leaps and bounds with this build just haven't had much time to post on here. I will post more details when I can upload the pictures from my camera tonight. 

I few things to note though. I feel like I just kind of rushed into this to make my game playable. And I did. I know i did. So I'm taking a step back and redoing some stuff so hopefully this build won't end up on crapmame.  Also,  my control panel is way to small. WAY to small. So, I have rendered an updated version of it on sketch up. I will be adding a track ball and holsters for my Happ guns. 

I'm on the fence as if this will be way to big or not.  Any input would be gladly accepted!

wetwaterwalker

• Offline Offline
  • First Time Mamer
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 03:43:42 am »
The mame machine is up for sell. It is in semi-working condition. It needs a little love, there are a few bugs in the software. Lots of money invested in hardware though. It comes with two aimtraks in happ gun shells, and a pacdrive, as well as a ipac. It's got a lot of potential. All that you would really need to make a nice machine is some MDF and decent wood working skills.  200 OBO. Local pick up only. 37601. PM if interested.