Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My cabinet that has 873 control panels.  (Read 3123 times)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
My cabinet that has 873 control panels.
« on: August 20, 2003, 02:25:03 am »
Since I made a decision not to buy, accept, or retrieve any more cabinets, I am making my final cabinet a true monstrosity with an insane amount of swappable control panels.

I am using a generic video poker cabinet that does not use a marquee. The monitor will be horizontal, but can be flipped to vertical if I feel like opening the case and doing so.

So far I have completed the following panels.

Analog stick. Used a microsoft sidewinder 3D pro.

4-Way stick. - Ms. Pac/Galaga replacement stick, with two buttons.

The following panels still need to be made.
  • Lunar Lander panel. I am going to use the analog shifter from a cheapo PC wheel for this one.
  • Missile Command - Imperial PS2 trackball with 3 buttons.
  • Asteroids - I bought an NOS Willis Asteroids overlay to use for this one.
  • Tac/Scan or Tron - I am still waiting on my Tac/Scan panel to arrive. If it fits the machine, then I will use it as is. Otherwise the spinner comes off, and I will make a Tron panel using that spinner, and a Wico leaf switch top fire stick.
  • Stargate/Defender - Maybe I can get good at these games if I recreate the actual controls.
  • Directional gun - I have a single T2 gun on the way, and I already have a dual strike to interface it to.
  • Stepmania Panel - Simply going to recreate a 2 player Pump it Up setup with buttons on the control panel. Playing doubles at triple speed should still be challenging, even if you are using your fingers instead of your feet.
  • Steering wheel. I have a USB Nascar wheel that I am going to use. A panel will open up at the bottom of the cabinet for the pedals.

I already basically have all the parts for the above panels. Future possibilities might include a Star Wars panel, a Battlezone one, a 720 one, a 360 degree wheel panel, and a motorcycle panel.

I already posted some pictures of the first two panels in other threads. I will post more pictures as this stuff comes together. I still need to install the coin door onto the machine before I do anything else.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

pathdoc2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2006, 08:49:53 pm
  • Your friendly pathologist
Re:My cabinet that has 873 control panels.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 10:08:26 am »
Post some pics, I want to see some of these control panels.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 11:03:54 pm »
Oops, this machine might have to go on the back burner, I have a Battlezone coming. The Battlezone is going to get the monitor that was slated for this cabinet. So I am either going to have to step down to a smaller monitor, or wait until I get another 19-21" one.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 11:17:40 pm by paigeoliver »
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 12:16:34 am »
Uh, isn't Battlezone vector  ???

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 12:37:32 am »
Uh, isn't Battlezone vector  ???

Well, yeah a REAL Battlezone is vector. But a REAL Battlezone has actual Battlezone boards inside, and not a computer.

pathdoc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2006, 08:49:53 pm
  • Your friendly pathologist
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 09:36:32 am »
Man , I love Battlezone.  Great game.  What is the difference between a vector monitor and a regular one?  This is the first time I've heard the term vector used in reference to a monitor.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 09:56:53 am »
Man , I love Battlezone.  Great game.  What is the difference between a vector monitor and a regular one?  This is the first time I've heard the term vector used in reference to a monitor.

Raster monitors draw the picture line by line, starting at the top of the screen, and moving down.

Vector monitors draw JUST the lines.  Check out a vector game and you'll see what I'm talking about.

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 12:16:26 pm »
well, i guess this time will be good for you, you can get a bit more of start, after all, 873 cp dont build themselves :P
It's all about the Pentiums

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 07:18:44 am »
Just a brief update. My T2 gun has arrived and looks good. My Tac/Scan panel also recently arrived, and looks great, but it is too wide for the machine. So I will be pulling the spinner and buttons off and duplicating the panel at the appropriate size for the cabinet (anyone want a nice Tac/Scan panel without the controls?).

I won't be doing any actual work on this machine until I move (probably OCT 1st), as I really just want to get everything packed up. Plus, cabs are easier to move when they don't have monitors mounted in them yet.

I am also apparently getting an Exidy directional gun in a trade. I will probably just sit on that as a future trade item, since I already bought the T2 gun (Ironically enough, I bought the T2 gun to play the Exidy gun games).