Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U360 Rough Grinding Feel?  (Read 3398 times)

DillonFoulds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2019, 05:04:44 am
U360 Rough Grinding Feel?
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:34:34 am »
I've ordered two u360's from divemaster recently.

While they feel like very nice joysticks (I like the throw and the smooth action of these things!), I can't help but notice a certain grinding feeling.

Is this normal? I've taken them apart, and it feels like the white bushing is grinding on the black cone part. Not sure if this is something natural or not?

Everything else about the joysticks feel very slick though! Any suggestions?

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
  • The party boat is here.
Re: U360 Rough Grinding Feel?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:39:37 am »
I've been noticing this grinding/sticking problem on 2 of my 4 U360's too. It seems to happen intermittently with mine - sometimes they're fine, sometimes they exhibit this behavior. I also have the latest revision with the white bushings, and I think the noise/sticking problem is definitely coming from the bushing/spring area, not the ball joint at the top of the stick. I have the hard springs and circular restrictors installed on all mine. The 2 that I'm seeing this problem with also have the long shafts installed (they're bottom-mounted in plywood). I also probably use those two more than the other two, so it could just be that it's been more noticeable on those because I use them more.

I love the way these sticks function, but it doesn't exactly make me comfortable about the longevity of the devices when they start making grinding spring noises and sticking.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:23 am »
After having mine a while, i've noticed the same thing. I took the shafts out, cleaned them and applied a little light oil, seems to have fixed the issue, but still

I also noticed a little corrosion on the shafts about where that code and white ring is....I used a dremel to polish that out as well.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »
This is caused by tiny concentric machining rings on the flat surface of the white bushing. We are looking at solutions for this.

Andy

fytr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2021, 10:39:46 am
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:16:08 pm »
Hi,

I'm having the same issue on my 1P U360 (gets the most play). I also have the new white bushing installed.

Almost seems like the spring action / compression is no longer smooth, like maybe the spring coil is catching or rubbing on something that keeps it from compressing/decompressing smoothly. It kind of feels "crunchy" when using it.

This problem is starting to affect gameplay too, with misreads of the last joystick position sometimes, after the stick has returned to center (but obviously hasn't quite fully gotten there).

I have never lubed my sticks, could it need some of that super expensive lube mentioned in older threads?

Ken

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:09:06 pm »
I have never lubed my sticks, could it need some of that super expensive lube mentioned in older threads?

Correct me if I'm wrong Andy, but I'm pretty sure Andy's said that this latest revision doesn't need lube. I don't think the problem is related to the spot you would normally lube, anyway (the ball joint) - Andy's explanation of machining rings on the white bushing matches what I'm experiencing.

Good to hear that Andy's already aware and looking for a solution to the issue.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »
I hadn't looked inside the bushing. Next I'm I have em apart, I'll check on that.

DillonFoulds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 02:00:20 pm »
Well, since we know for sure what the problem is (as I had initially thought! :P), time to find a solution!

I think I'll look into picking up a couple thin metal washers to go in between the white bushing and the black mount, see if there's maybe something to that?

fytr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2021, 10:39:46 am
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

Good to hear that Andy's already aware and looking for a solution to the issue.

Yeah, I posted that before I saw Andy's post about the bushings. I have to say I was hesitant about the relative cost of going with the U360s with extra restrictors, springs, etc., but Andy's free followup support has been simply outstanding. He really stands behind his products!  :applaud:

Ken

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 02:00:32 pm »
post moved to new topic
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:44:09 pm by VanillaGorilla »

DillonFoulds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 02:02:10 pm »
Quick bump on my grinding issues. I picked up a few VERY flat curved spring washers. They don't hug the shaft (:laugh2:) as nice as they could, but they were the thinnest washers I could find.

Due to the nature of the part, there is a bit of a click from time to time. I'll try gluing the washer to the white nylon part tonight, and that should clear up that issue.

If you guys can find a nice thin metal washer that hugs the shaft (LOL...), then it will for sure clear up the grinding feeling though.

I'll report back after I've glued this one down, though. It looks like this will clear up any issues. Now it's time to really enjoy these sticks!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:09:44 pm by DillonFoulds »

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:07 am »
Quick bump on my grinding issues. I picked up a few VERY flat curved spring washers. They don't hug the shaft (:laugh2:) as nice as they could, but they were the thinnest washers I could find.

Due to the nature of the part, there is a bit of a click from time to time. I'll try gluing the washer to the white nylon part tonight, and that should clear up that issue.

If you guys can find a nice thin metal washer that hugs the shaft (LOL...), then it will for sure clear up the grinding feeling though.

I'll report back after I've glued this one down, though. It looks like this will clear up any issues. Now it's time to really enjoy these sticks!

Sorry but I really dont think this is a good plan. We have started to fix this in production by rubbing the flat side of the white bushing on very fine emery paper, it takes 10 seconds max, plus re-assembly time.
Adding washers is going to mess up the stick and if the washer is free to rub on the shaft it will cause damage and generate metal shavings. Also this type of plastic is not possible to glue anything to.

DillonFoulds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »
Phew, good thing I haven't got around to gluing yet!

Where can I find emery paper for this? Should it be among the basic sand papers, or is it something more special use?

piecesof8

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »
Hey Andy - in your investigation on this, have you seen it cause return to center issues? I'm not so much concerned about the occasional noise (assuming it's not causing damage), but the "sticking" issues (i.e. the joystick not returning to center) are obviously a bigger concern. Wondering if it's due to this issue with the machining rings, or if maybe my particular combination of the new bushing / hard spring / long shaft has something to do with it.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 04:32:45 pm »
No I dont think this would cause return to center issues.

It might be worth cleaning the spherical bearing. The easiest way to acess this is to remove the 4 screws on the faceplate and remove the complete swivel assembly, then you can access the circlip on the handle very easily.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 07:45:31 pm »

Sorry but I really dont think this is a good plan. We have started to fix this in production by rubbing the flat side of the white bushing on very fine emery paper, it takes 10 seconds max, plus re-assembly time.
Adding washers is going to mess up the stick and if the washer is free to rub on the shaft it will cause damage and generate metal shavings. Also this type of plastic is not possible to glue anything to.

I did find that I could add a single thin washer when I was experimenting trying to fine tune spring tension.  But I was using a flat Teflon washer.  But just sanding off the machining marks should do the job easier and better.

51mmz0rz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2012, 12:10:45 am
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:49 am »
I am also bothered a bit by the 'grittiness' of the movement (some sticks seem to be worse than others).  So is it recommended to sand the white plastic piece down to take the milling marks off?  How about lubrication?  I will say once you get the circular restrictor on there, it's not very noticeable (because the stick traverses less of the concentric rings).

roknrol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 05:04:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 01:17:04 pm »
Sorry for the narcobump on this thread, but I’m trying to clear things off my to-do list. I’ve had this thread bookmarked for years.  :dunno

Anyway, I fixed the grinding/grittiness of a U360 I bought off eBay years ago by following Andy’s advice and sanding the flat, wide part of the white bushing to remove the machined concentric circles. Using 200 and 400 grit sandpaper did the trick, and then Superlube finished the job. Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for the info — and also to post a photo for anyone else digging up this thread later.

White bushing is seen on the right.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:20:58 pm by roknrol »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 02:20:29 pm »
Appreciate it actually!  :cheers:

I'm going to reinstall a pair of U360s in another panel soon and will tune them up before doing so.
I had given them a cleaning and new dose of lube before but hadn't been aware of this possibility.

Mine may be new enough units for this to not be a concern but...

mo knowledge, mo bettah.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.