Software Support > Automated Projects

General questions about MRotate

<< < (2/8) > >>

DaOld Man:

--- Quote from: drventure on January 27, 2011, 11:28:39 pm ---My plan is to add monitor rotation, though I plan to do it with a pulley system (probably old grandfather clock pulleys and brass wire, but I'm not sure yet).

I'd have prefered gears, but I can't seem to find a decent source.

MRotate might enter into the equation at some point. Any idea if it'll work with one of those "USB to Serial port" dongles?

--- End quote ---

Sounds interesting.
MRotate uses inpout32.dll to interface the printer port. The first inpout32 did not work with usb dongles, but I have read somewhere that the latest version will, but I have yet to verify that.
I will do some research and get back with you.

DaOld Man:
Here is a link with some information I put together.
It has info about MRotate2, but if you scroll on down you will find some diagrams I threw together of how to hook up your rotating devices (drives, switches, degauss relays, etc) to the printer port.
I am thinking about throwing together some better drawings and posting them in this forum, if there's enough interest.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94350.0

shadwolf:

--- Quote from: DaOld Man on January 31, 2011, 08:33:15 pm ---I am thinking about throwing together some better drawings and posting them in this forum, if there's enough interest.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94350.0

--- End quote ---

Oh, there's enough interest ;-)

I've been a lurker on the arcade control forums for a while. I have a Dynamo cab I'm working on right now and fully intend to implement a rotating monitor, I'm just not sure where to start with the rotation mechanism. I currently have two identical 19" Viewsonic CRT's (one of which is in my cabinet), and am torn between implementing a rotating mechanism using one of these heavier CRT's, or picking up a Dell 1908FP. I believe that model was the last 4x3 19" LCD that Dell produces, and it has a 5ms response so I think it would be ideal to use as far as LCD's go. The only problem with it is that the native resolution is 1280x1024 which is higher than I care to run. Hmm... decisions, decisions...

I've seen this article regarding a rotation mech: http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Weisshaupt%27s_LCD_Mechanism
Are there any other articles, or other suggestions regarding the mechanical solution/motor?

Thanks for any input you can provide. I saw version 3 was released yesterday, I'm anxious to get something going so I can give it a shot.

DaOld Man:

--- Quote from: shadwolf on February 10, 2011, 03:02:50 pm ---I've seen this article regarding a rotation mech: http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Weisshaupt%27s_LCD_Mechanism
Are there any other articles, or other suggestions regarding the mechanical solution/motor?

Thanks for any input you can provide. I saw version 3 was released yesterday, I'm anxious to get something going so I can give it a shot.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Shadwolf. Rotating monitors are a lot of work, but I really do think they are worth it, as well as most others who have taken the plunge.
A CRT, due to size and weight, takes a bit more to rotate, but it's not impossible.
My first rotating monitor was a crt. (Check out the "Post your rotating monitor project" in this forum).
Weisshaupt did an excellent job, and I think he was the first to introduce the hobby "secret motor", and several people have copied his method for the LCD.
There are others on here who have made CRT projects, just search this site.
A couple that come to mind are CornChip and KOZ319.
Which every monitor you decide to use, myself and others on here will be glad to help any way we can.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

shadwolf:

--- Quote from: DaOld Man on February 10, 2011, 06:32:24 pm ---
--- Quote from: shadwolf on February 10, 2011, 03:02:50 pm ---I've seen this article regarding a rotation mech: http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Weisshaupt%27s_LCD_Mechanism

--- End quote ---

Thanks Shadwolf. Rotating monitors are a lot of work, but I really do think they are worth it, as well as most others who have taken the plunge.
A CRT, due to size and weight, takes a bit more to rotate, but it's not impossible.
My first rotating monitor was a crt. (Check out the "Post your rotating monitor project" in this forum).
Weisshaupt did an excellent job, and I think he was the first to introduce the hobby "secret motor", and several people have copied his method for the LCD.
There are others on here who have made CRT projects, just search this site.
A couple that come to mind are CornChip and KOZ319.
Which every monitor you decide to use, myself and others on here will be glad to help any way we can.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

--- End quote ---

Well, I've taken the plunge. I just finished placed an order for the stuff Weisshaupt suggested through Solarbiotics, and earlier in the weekend bought a better soldering iron from Radio Shack (the digital model) and swung by Lowe's and picked up the 6" Lazy Susan they carry. The 12" model they had seemed to be junk - I couldn't even tell that model had bearings and it moved very roughly, whereas the 6" model moves way smoother and the bearings are clearly visible. Enough to get me started...

I decided to go with a Dell 19" 4x3 LCD just to make things easier. Don't have one yet, but my wife told me she'd get one for me for my birthday here in a couple of weeks.

I'll be waiting on the monitor now. I should have some time to devote to it (and everything will have arrived) here in a few weeks, so I'll be back in touch then once I figure out how I'm going to do the rotation assembly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version