Software Support > Automated Projects

General questions about MRotate

<< < (7/7)

ArcadeSeeker962:
I checked out this thread, but I'm not that skilled in electric soldering and computer programming, so I think I'll take the other route for my Joysticks on the control panel. Thank you for the suggestion though, DaOld Man. Even though my creation won't be on par with your preferences, I guarantee you that won't be disappointed once my arcade cabinet is complete.  ;)

DaOld Man:

--- Quote from: ArcadeSeeker962 on April 30, 2012, 09:36:48 am ---I checked out this thread, but I'm not that skilled in electric soldering and computer programming, so I think I'll take the other route for my Joysticks on the control panel. Thank you for the suggestion though, DaOld Man. Even though my creation won't be on par with your preferences, I guarantee you that won't be disappointed once my arcade cabinet is complete.  ;)

--- End quote ---

OK dude.. I know that I will not be disappointed in your cab at all.
Good luck with your project and come on back when you decide you are ready to do a little automation work.  :cheers:

ArcadeSeeker962:
Thank you. :) When I'm ready to automate my Joystick controller, I'll be glad to come back to this thread. I'm planning on signing up to a Tech School in my area to learn how to solder, so that will help out as well. I'll also check to see if they have courses for computer programming.

mapsking:
Hello everyone, not sure if this is in the right spot, but I'm getting ready to do the actual building from scratch of my first arcade cabinet.  Without getting into too much detail, my situation is very different from most, and I am not very experienced here as far as practicality goes, but I'm really interested in having a rotating monitor.  What is different is that I'm building the cabinet from scratch, will be a big 4 player one, and am using a 47" 16:9 LCD as the monitor.  I do have an official mounting bracket, and since I'm going to design the cabinet around what I want, modifications regarding size, and space limitations are not as stringent.  MY questions are basically, would it be feasible (I know everyone says anything is possible) to have a rotating monitor that size?  In my experience, playing from the side does not diminish viewing angle, but I don't even know where to start?  I'd like to build it myself, and have it be automatic, by selecting a game, but if I need to buy parts, or whatnot, I can do that also.  Where do I begin?  How much wider would the actual cabinet need to be to accommodate it?  How big and powerful of a motor (s?) would I need?  How loud would it be?  Any ideas I could do myself to reduce cost, and such?  Ways to incorporate cool things with it?  I know it is already going to be a big project, but it doesn't seem like it would add that much width or depth to it?

Thanks, Mapsking

DaOld Man:
Hello mapsking, and welcome to the forum.
Also, welcome to the most time consuming and wallet deflating hobby you can get into, albeit a most rewarding thing, well worth the contributions of time and money.
Anything is possible, and I love to see the big heavy screens turning.
Automating the turn is very simple, considering the resources on here.
With a monitor that big you will most likely need a powerful motor, but a windshield wiper motor from a car will probably work, but it wont turn real fast. (Which may or may not be ok with you.)
And as for cabinet width, it will have to be wide enough to allow the monitor to turn without the corners of the monitor hitting the sides of the cab.
A good rule of thumb would be the diagonal measurement of the monitor, measured from one actual corner of the case to the next corner.
Then look to see if centering the screen is going to change this. (Some monitors have a slim top above the screen but a fat bottom below the screen. Since you want the center of the screen to be in the center of the cabinet, you will have to take the offset caused by the fat bottom into account.)
This measurement, plus an inch for fudge factor, is how wide the inside of the cabinet should be.
Of course if you can de-case the monitor, that might save a lot of room.
I have also seen someone on here make a cabinet with a swing out side(s) that would allow the monitor to turn and still not leave a lot of wasted space between the screen edge and the inside of the cabinet sides. (Monitor bezel area).
This is the right spot to ask questions about your automation. When you begin the actual building, you may want to start a thread in Project Announcements too. More people will probably see it there.
Good luck on your build, and we are here to help so dont be afraid to ask.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version