Software Support > Automated Projects

General questions about MRotate

<< < (8/8)

pageygeeza@yahoo.co.uk:
I've been pointed here because I'm automating my own screen rotator.

The issue I'm now seeing is that I'm using a simple polarity reverse switch to change motor direction, rather than using a dedicated stepper motor which everyone else appears to be doing.

So the way my system is supposed to be set up:

Software determines the orientation of the MAME renderer, sends a corresponding value to an Arduino, the code on the Arduino then energises the relay coils to turn the motors on/off.

This allows me to use pretty much any brushed DC motor to spin the screen.

But in my path to simplicity, I've made the software side really complicated.

I'm aware the MROTATE software sends via serial, not via a COM port.

Is there any way the code can be modified to do this?

PL1:

--- Quote from: pageygeeza@yahoo.co.uk on March 13, 2024, 10:32:51 am ---I'm aware the MROTATE software sends via serial, not via a COM port.

Is there any way the code can be modified to do this?

--- End quote ---
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.   :dunno

The Arduino COM port can't handle the full range of logic level voltages that fall within the RS-232 standard, but it is a serial port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

--- Quote ---The RS-232 standard defines the voltage levels that correspond to logical one and logical zero levels for the data transmission and the control signal lines. Valid signals are either in the range of +3 to +15 volts or the range −3 to −15 volts with respect to the "Common Ground" (GND) pin

--- End quote ---

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/communication/serial/

--- Quote ---Serial communication on pins TX/RX uses TTL logic levels (5V or 3.3V depending on the board). Don’t connect these pins directly to an RS232 serial port; they operate at +/- 12V and can damage your Arduino board.

To use these extra serial ports to communicate with your personal computer, you will need an additional USB-to-serial adaptor, as they are not connected to the Mega’s USB-to-serial adaptor. To use them to communicate with an external TTL serial device, connect the TX pin to your device’s RX pin, the RX to your device’s TX pin, and the ground of your Mega to your device’s ground.

--- End quote ---

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version