Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Mame Cab First Conversion  (Read 12402 times)

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: New Mame Cab First Conversion
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 04:12:57 pm »
The program you're looking for is Romlister:

Here's a walkthrough on Hyperspin's page:
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=115

There are various programs for outputting to the second monitor.
Here's a thread with some ideas:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=70840.0

Taekwonjudo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2020, 10:19:28 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 04:23:08 pm »
  :applaud:

Awesome! Thanks again Cotmm! Once more you've come through for me.   :cheers:

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:01 pm »
Finally got some more time to get back at this project.

I have a mock up of the artwork for the CP that I'd like to hear some feedback on if anyone has some comments/FRIENDLY criticisms ;p

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »
Hmmm... This one might show the intention better. Button & Trackball locations shown here.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 01:44:37 pm »
I like it!  Its better than the lightning and space themes you see all the time.

Why did you go back to the straight configuration for your buttons?  Personally, I like curved layouts better, I think they feel better and look better.

What are the buttons at the top for?

I like the placing of the start buttons, unconventional but cool.

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »
I like it!  Its better than the lightning and space themes you see all the time.

Why did you go back to the straight configuration for your buttons?  Personally, I like curved layouts better, I think they feel better and look better.

What are the buttons at the top for?

I like the placing of the start buttons, unconventional but cool.

Thanks Donkbaca,

Although because of the straight borders around the player buttons the layout DOES look like they are straight, they are in fact still the curved layout. I too found playing with that much more comfortable.

The extra buttons at the top are for control buttons. I'm thinking a n ESC, a Pause & a shift. I wanted to keep them as far away from the trackball as possible as I've read other people's frustration on their build when they were placed too close.  ;)

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 02:03:38 pm »
I am assuming the other two buttons are coin?  I would recommend ditching the shift,  as it would allow for better symmetry, and other than esc and pause, you can just use a keyboard behind the coin door for admin reasons.  That being said there is no right or wrong answer for shift functions.  It seems pretty split on here, half love them, half don't feel they are necessary.  I am in the latter group.  I just don't think you would use it enough to justify it being on the CP. 

Anyhow I would suggest the opt buttons look like this:

P1coin    Exit                                    Pause   P2 Coin

Nice symmetry, both players have their coin on the outer edge.  Player 1 gets to control exit.

just my 2 cents.

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 02:10:02 pm »
I am assuming the other two buttons are coin?  I would recommend ditching the shift,  as it would allow for better symmetry, and other than esc and pause, you can just use a keyboard behind the coin door for admin reasons.  That being said there is no right or wrong answer for shift functions.  It seems pretty split on here, half love them, half don't feel they are necessary.  I am in the latter group.  I just don't think you would use it enough to justify it being on the CP. 

Anyhow I would suggest the opt buttons look like this:

P1coin    Exit                                    Pause   P2 Coin

Nice symmetry, both players have their coin on the outer edge.  Player 1 gets to control exit.

just my 2 cents.

:) That's actually almost exactly the layout I was thinking as well. Unfortunately at this point I'm kinda stuck with the shift as the plexi & wood have already been drilled :banghead: . Otherwise yeah, the more I've thought about I agree that I likely won't be using the shift much at all.

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »
One thing I am actually torn about (thanks Donkbaca for drawing my attention to it). I'm starting to think the surrounds around the player buttons might be a bit much.

What do you guys think?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 02:58:38 pm »
I like both to be honest... 

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 04:00:14 pm »
Thinking on artwork. I just realised that putting the dust covers on top of my CP is going to ruin the look of this thing.

Does anyone know if I can get clear washers for my Happ Competition 8-way's?

Something like what's being offered here for the Sanwa's.

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Sanwa-Joysticks-Washer-JLF-clear_1032.html?osCsid=31e8a4d8918369eff00321423e5f7e87

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 04:19:50 pm »
Here's a discussion from a few years back about clear dustwashers:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=71444.40

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »
you can always put the dustcovers under the art.  or use cd cases and your current one as a template to make some clear ones

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2011, 04:59:19 pm »
My only concern about going under the art is, what are the chances of then catching & ripping the art? That & the pinching mentioned in the thread above. I remember getting some great holes in my hand back in the day from being pinched on cps without washers :(

CD cases are an interesting idea.... I suppose a hole saw would likely shatter that though wouldn't it?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2011, 06:55:06 pm »
Hmm... maybe?  Maybe not if you spin it backwards an let it melt through the plastic...

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »
Hmmm... interesting idea. I still have some plexi left over from the CP, as well as a crapload of CD cases lying a round.... I'll try both & let you guys know how it goes.

emb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2018, 02:01:19 pm
    • Don Honerbrink
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:46 pm »
One thing I am actually torn about (thanks Donkbaca for drawing my attention to it). I'm starting to think the surrounds around the player buttons might be a bit much.

What do you guys think?

I think I'm borderline jealous. That is a wicked cp overlay.

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:19 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement emb :) Took me quite a while to get the look I was gong after.

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2020, 09:28:56 pm »
Welp... Consider me another dinosaur resurrected from the dead! LOL. Through this whole Covid-19 ordeal, I finally had time to get back at this build.

...almost a decade later... DAMN! Where'd the time go?... Anyway. I'm now looking at things a little different. I now have a full ROM set & CHD list  that match, am planning on using Launchbox as a Front End and upgraded the system to boot.

As far as the box goes, everything seems to be up and running beautifully.

Now just to find a way to mount a 27" LCD into the cab and we'll start the fun part of this project and FINALLY get things off the ground!

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2020, 09:54:12 pm »
Ok. Progress has been made. CP art has been finalized and ordered. Just got the plexi in today for the overlay. I did a test fit of the controls ... looks like I need to shave down the edges of the supports a bit to make room for the top buttons, but overall I'm pleased with the results.

One question though, and I'm hoping you guys can help meout.

When I started this project, I ordered a HAPP light up trackball. Everything looks good, instructions tell me how to wire up the buttons and USB, (Tested & it works)... but nothing to instruct on the wiring for the bulb to light up...

This looks to me to be an incandescent bulb... does anyone recognize this and is able to direct me on how/what to do to hook up power to this and light it up?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:19 pm »
I ordered a HAPP light up trackball. Everything looks good, instructions tell me how to wire up the buttons and USB, (Tested & it works)... but nothing to instruct on the wiring for the bulb to light up...

This looks to me to be an incandescent bulb... does anyone recognize this and is able to direct me on how/what to do to hook up power to this and light it up?
Pretty sure that is a 14v 0.19A #161 bulb.

You can get 12v (yellow) and ground (black) from a molex connector in your computer.
- Hack a 4-pin molex splitter or extender.
- There's no polarity for the bulb socket -- just solder one wire to one tab and the other to the other tab.
- Commonly available 24AWG, 22AWG, or 20AWG wire will easily handle the current draw.

Scott

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2020, 11:08:50 pm »
Awesome! Thanks PL1. I'll try & then report back the results.

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2020, 01:16:03 am »
Ok... This is my 3rd attempt at posting... (apparently I can't pay attention to file size... sorry :/)

1st, thank you to PL1! You were bang on sir! those connections worked like a charm, as shown in the pic attached... sadly it wasn't as bright as I was hoping for... so I guess that means I'll have to look at adding LEDs to brighten this up down the road.

So I took almost a full saturday deciding to wire up the (temporary) Cp (I say temporary because as I was wiring it up, I realized that I didn't account for the plexi for the CP, thickness-wise... <sigh>... hiccup here.. Oh well... It's good to have a mockup before final anyway ;p

I decided I'd cut another CP & plexi that would fit... round 2....

While wiring the trackball up, there's this one wire that has a lable that reads "attach to earth ground". Question for everyone... if this is connected through USB.... is this REALLY important to connect to a ground somehow? If so.... what's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Since I wired it up anyway I thought I'd show a pic of the wiring job.... yeah I know it's a rat's nest now, but I'll clean it up on final CP.

Things are finally coming together!... I'm nervous though as I'm hitting that dreaded "Functional" stage where so many projects fall off the rails as things become functional.

I AM determined though that through this isolation... this project WILL get completed!

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
Dragoncade
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2020, 01:38:29 am »
So It's official

Since the artwork for the CP has been ordered (If nothing else, to keep me moving forward, I've decided this unit will be called Dragoncade...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2020, 02:35:36 am »
While wiring the trackball up, there's this one wire that has a lable that reads "attach to earth ground". Question for everyone... if this is connected through USB.... is this REALLY important to connect to a ground somehow? If so.... what's the easiest way to accomplish this?
Yes, it is important to ground that wire.  The USB cable will not fully ground this type of trackball.

A trackball rolling on steel rollers generates a static charge that can cause ESD damage to the electronics unless the charge is drained to ground via that wire.

Connect it to the metal case of your computer, the computer's power supply case if you've decased the computer, the FG (frame ground) terminal if you're using an arcade-style power supply, or the frame of the coin door if that is already connected to ground. (the metal parts on the cab that you might touch should already be grounded)

Scott

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2020, 11:41:23 am »
Hmm.. thanks fir that again PL1!

Would it be sufficient to slice in a connection to the black lead from the computer I used to connect the light bulb to, or should I just screw this down top the CP and add a long lead to the computer's power supply?

I assume if I unscrew one of those mounting screws and connect the ground with that will work?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:45 pm »
Would it be sufficient to slice in a connection to the black lead from the computer I used to connect the light bulb to, or should I just screw this down top the CP and add a long lead to the computer's power supply?

I assume if I unscrew one of those mounting screws and connect the ground with that will work?
Ground is ground.

The static charge will drain equally well through the light bulb black wire ground as through a screw connected to the metal frame of the computer's power supply.

Scott

Taekwonjudo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2020, 12:58:48 am »
So... like I said, I am determined that this will be a complete machine!

More progress.

I had a 27" LCD monitor that is just slightly wider than the internal space of this cab. I figure it'll be good fit with some minor adjustments. I cut a square piece out of some sheet metal I had laying around, mounted that to the back of the monitor and laid it into place. With a little help from my son holding the unit, I mounted a 2x4 inside right up against where the plate was and marked the spacing to mount the square mount to the 2x4 (sorry.. I forgot to grab pics of this process. The blurry hard to see image is the monitor mounted from behind.

Once I got that all setup and tested, it was an easy process to set the pc to use 2 monitors & set Big Box to use the smaller monitor as a digital marquee. It works well & looks decent... but I think I'll poke around in the files and create some better fitting/looking images for the units I'll set up on this machine. (Thanks to Lathe for pointing me in the right direction on that one!)

So on to the new CP. The artwork & template came in. I cut my plywood and plexi to size and matched them up with the template in between so I knew where to drill. No bad. Slipped once on the 3" hole for the trackball :/... ended up with a few very minor scratches... <sigh> oh well... I don't think I ever played a pristine machine in the past anyway... I'll chalk it up to adding to the nostalgia I guess.

I also noticed that by the player 1 buttons, the top layer of the plywood cracked & split off <oops> :/... nothing a little wood glue & filler can't fix though.

Disassembled the "mockup" CP & re-installed all of the hardware onto the new & permanent cp..... I'm starting to think this is starting to look pretty decent.

I've ordered some light up LED buttons just to give this a little more pop.

Next steps:

1) Wire up LEDs
2) Think of a way to replace that incandescent bulb with an LED one. The incandescent just isn't bright enough IMO
3) Wire up the LED butons
4) Mount the computer inside the unit
5) Mount Smoke plexi to the control screen
6) Wire clean up
7) Remove creditcard info panel from the original Golden Tee machine & add new artwork there
8) create, print & mount permanent Top Marquee