Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control panel help  (Read 3013 times)

Homer41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2012, 01:49:08 pm
Control panel help
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:14:35 pm »
Ok, cab is almost done and now seriously starting to plan my cp. I will be playing a lot of Golden Tee on my cab and I want to keep it GT friendly 4 guests. The attachment was altered from a PDF on the CD from the best book on the planet Project Arcade 2nd Edition and I have been granted approval from the Mame god himself (Saint) to use it  :cheers: Don't see the need (for me anyway) to have 7 buttons so I removed 1. The mouse controls which move left and right (in GT) on my computer version of mame will stay the same. What does the middle mouse button control in GT? Added 2 buttons for trackball games like centipede and missle command. I will be using a USB happ trackball and I am wondering if I can series in the mouse buttons to the Ipac for dual purposes, if not no big deal. I don't see a need for a spinner cuz never really played tempest or other spinner games. Anything I am missing or need to add?? Comments and criticism welcome

Thanks,

Homer41

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
Re: Control panel help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:31:32 pm »
Just a couple of things for you to think about:

If you like to play Neo Geo games, you might want to reconsider the 7 button layout. This layout allows you to use both the 6 button fighter layout as well as the 4 button Neo Geo layout.

Since you really like GT, it may be worth having the dedicated buttons for it, but it is not mandatory. You can map any of the other buttons for use in the game. Same would apply to the 2 other extra buttons.

In MAME, there isn't much use for mouse buttons, so you could just wire all of the buttons to the ipac. I would expect some odd behavior if you wired buttons to both. On the ipac, you can use the shift function to make any of the buttons dual purpose. If you want to have mouse buttons for configuration, that may make it worth it, but they might be better off up by the other admin buttons or on the sides of the CP. I found that it is usually just easier to have a wireless keyboard and mouse nearby if you need to do any configuring. If you are using an arcade monitor, you will want to use remote desktop for all but the most simple windows stuff.

I always suggest doing a mockup on hardboard before building the panel. It is cheap and easy to work with, but also strong enough to allow you to test out the controls in game.

Homer41

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:45:38 pm »
True, might as well add the 7th button, got room on the Ipac. The mouse controls are wired in and come with the USB Happ trackball so I just figured I'd utilize them. Can I just cut them and not use them at all? Figured on using a wireless keyboard and mouse cause it would be a pita to attach every time I had to alter something and didn't want to add a drawer to my cab also  ::) Any tutorials on the Ipac? Not too computer savvy unfortunately. Do I have to add a shift button? Sorry, complete noob here  :dunno Thanks!!!

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:03:41 pm »
You can just pull the wire off the switches if you don't want to use them for the mouse buttons; they are just spade connectors. Then you can use the buttons with the ipac. The configuration software for the ipac is really easy. Just read that part of Ultimarc's site, and you should be fine. You can always ask questions here if you try and get stuck. You can set any button as the shift button. I usually use Player 2 Start just out of convenience.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:38:54 am »
I'm not a serious Golden Tee player so let me ask you a question. When people take wild swings, is there any chance they could hit player 2 joystick?

I know in World Class Bowling, if a player puts a severe hook on the ball, the player 2 joystick can get hit sometimes (and has caused injury).

WhereEaglesDare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm
  • Shut Off All The Compactors on the Detention Level
    • My HomePage
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:58:15 am »
the 7th button is overrated...  Most NeoGeo Games don't even use four buttons.  They only use three.

I have a 7th button and on my next panel I will be removing it for the 6 button layout.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:00 am »
I thought most of the Neo Geo fighters used 4 buttons. But you can still use the 6 button layout anyway

Homer41

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:25:31 am »
I will also be playing a lot of old schol games too. What are the best 4 & 8 way joysticks that are also compatible to Hyperspin. Readsome posts where some 8x4 joysticks don't work with Hyperspin

Homer41

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »
Your mostly spinning the trackball straight forward. You only spin otherwise to do hook or slice shots. So minimal risk of injury leapinlew.

Homer41

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:34:19 am »
I also removed the 4 way joystick on the upper right of the cp. I see a lot of cps with both; (2 player cp for example) two 8 ways and one 4 way somewhere on the cp. I know they are for playing older games like pacman, burgertime etc. Can you play 2 players with the 4way joystick or only 1? I was planning on getting a 8 & 4 way controller to kinda clean up the cp. Been researching on which ones are best, but doesn't seem to be a clear leader. Any suggestions on 4x8way joysticks. Thanks

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:32:06 pm »
personally I like just having 2 joysticks also. I had a 3rd one for dedicated 4-way on my last controller and I won't go that route again.
It wouldn't be benificial though to have one 8-way and one 4-way because if you go to play a double joystick game like Robotron or one of my favorites like Rescue, you will not have diagonals for shooting.
On my control panel I have 2 Sanwa JLWs. They are true 4-way, 8-way switchable via a rotatable restrictor plate. I keep my left one set to 8-way with a round gate plate and I keep my right one typically in 4-way and then when I need it in 8-way, I open the panel and rotate the restrictor plate.
Alot of guys on here use ultra sticks and have them 4-way, 8-way through program mapping. I believe those are the sticks that some guys are having issues with in Hyperspin, but I think its only when in full analog or something, but I'm not sure because I've never used them.

When it comes to 4-way, 8-way switching, remember that the Happs are not truly switchable.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 10:33:44 pm »
looks good...  You have a backspin button?
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

Homer41

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:32:37 pm »
Alot of guys on here use ultra sticks and have them 4-way, 8-way through program mapping. I believe those are the sticks that some guys are having issues with in Hyperspin, but I think its only when in full analog or something, but I'm not sure because I've never used them.

Eeeek, I am planning on using Hyperspin as my FE and do you know exactly which joys are having issues??

looks good...  You have a backspin button?

It is strictly for Golden Tee. You put backspin on the golf shot and it stops faster and draws back sometimes.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:05:45 pm »
I would put that 7th button back personally. Sure, it only takes 4 buttons to play a neo geo game - but it's a better experience if you use the 7th, and the bottom row of three - it's pretty close to a neo-geo layout. Also, that button falls conveniently close to where a run button would be if you're a MK fan.

As to the other buttons, if you are a hardcore enthusiast for GT then they belong there! However if you want to clean the look up a bit I'd suggest removing them and mapping those controls to the other buttons. For example turn left, backspin, turn right on the top row of P1's buttons. As it is though, it looks nicely symmetrical and not overly cluttered.