Main > Software Forum

New ControllerRemap utility, 7/11/13 update available (Version 0.0.11)

<< < (5/47) > >>

MacGyver:
Drventure, thank you. This utility make those of us with 5+ usb devices be able to spend more time playing games instead of spending time resetting them up.
You should know there is an error in your PDF on the configuration file layout, the order has it as <system=default><input><system=gamespecific><input></input></system></input></system>, when I think it is supposed to be <system=default><input></input></system><system=gamespecific><input></input></system>.

The utility works perfectly unless the USB device is changed to a different port, when this happens the sub IDs change, and you have to re-create the alias portion again with the new sub IDs. 
Is there a way to have ControllerRemap match from left to right only the portion of the ID in the alias ID and ignore anything longer then the alias ID that it detects from windows?
Basically give us the ability to ignore the sub IDs if we want?  So that an Aimtrak showing up as VEN_1234&DEV1602&0001_34fedsaa could simply have VEN_1234&DEV1602 in the .cfg file under the alias ID, so that moving the device to a different port won't require a "ControllerRemap /list" and editing the new sub IDs into the .cfg?  The Vendor and Device portion should be sufficient, and doesn't ever change no matter what port you change it to.

I will use your wonderful utility as is when I finally build my cabinet, but people with control panel only setups (like mine currently is until I build my cabinet) sometimes use different USB ports when they plug them in, and that requires me to edit the .cfg.

Thanks again, it was a brilliant idea, and was defiantly needed. :applaud:

drventure:
@McGyver

Thanks for the comments. I'll check on the PDF get an update posted. It's entirely possible I flubbed the docs there  :-[

As for the subid bit, I never noticed that while I was working on it, but hell yeah, that should be an easy fix and what you describe is exactly how I'd want it to work in that situation (plugging USB devices into different ports). Thanks for the heads up. Just monitor this thread for updates. I'll post back here once I've got the fix done.

VanillaGorilla:
Awesome Idea. Long time coming, too. Cant wait to check it out this weekend! Now I wont have panel swap anxiety anymore ;)

MacGyver:
Cool. I will keep checking back.  ;D
Also, I was wrong about the tag order error, it's not in the PDF, it's in the Sample.cfg that was included, at the very end:

--- Code: ---    </controller>
    <!-- ###################################################
         ACTUAL INPUT MAPPING STARTS HERE
         DO NOT actually put anything in this section.
         It is completely cleared and regenerated!
         ###################################################
    -->
    <input>
           This is a GAME specific section
           Add additional <controller> sections here
           to define how those controllers should map for this
           particular game
      -->
      <system name="ribbit">
        <!-- This would be stupid to actually use, but as an example
             For this game ("Ribbit"), reverse the UP and DOWN directions
             on the joystick -->
        <controller id="U360 Player1">
          <input>
            <port type="P1_JOYSTICK_UP">
              <newseq type="standard">
              JOYCODE_YAXIS_DOWN_SWITCH</newseq>
            </port>
            <port type="P1_JOYSTICK_DOWN">
              <newseq type="standard">
              JOYCODE_YAXIS_UP_SWITCH</newseq>
            </port>
          </input>
        </controller>
             ACTUAL INPUT MAPPING STARTS HERE
             DO NOT actually put anything in this section.
             It is completely cleared and regenerated!
        -->
        <input></input>
      </system>
    </input>
  </system>
</mameconfig>
--- End code ---

The PDF is correct, I remember now, I couldn't get the .cfg file I made to work because I was going solely off the Sample.cfg, then read the through the PDF and decided the PDF must be correct, and fixed the Sample to match the PDF.  It just took a little longer to figure out which one was correct.

Again, thanks for a great utility.

Howard_Casto:
drventure: 

I know nobody likes to hear it when they've done a ton of work, but I'm pretty sure there is a better way.  I remember reading that mame supports generic joystick flags, as well as device specific joystick flags.  In other words insted of say "JOYCODE_YAXIS_UP" you can put "MADCATZ_GAMEPAD_YAXIS_UP" and this solves the enumeration issue most of the time. 

Keep in mind I've never actually used this feature before, so I can't tell you if, how or how well it works. 

I think the utility is still needed though because when changing inputs inside mame, it uses the generic flags.  You might use this to alter how your program works though as it could simply convert the generic flags to specific flags without all the swapping. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version