Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame + IPac Button configuration.  (Read 4671 times)

pjl83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2018, 03:19:02 am
Mame + IPac Button configuration.
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:16:35 am »
Hi,

After what seems like months (no wait, it is actually months  :o ) I have finally got the mame cab back on track and is almost complete. I will be wiring the control panel next and I'm wondering if there is a standard to avoid having to change the settings too much for each individual game.

Here is my layout.

The coin and player buttons are obvious but which way would you wire these buttons into the IPac in terms of order. Most of the games only use 2 and 3 buttons so I'm assuming I'd either use the bottom three (4,5,6 on my drawing) as 1,2,3 on the Ipac. Or should I use the 2 side buttons (6,3 on my drawing) as 1 and 2 on the Ipac.

Is there a standard? or can anyone advise on how best it works for them.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Paul

Nephasth

Re: Mame + IPac Button configuration.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
It's all personal preference. I would wire your buttons to your I-PAC just how you have them labelled in your drawing. My preference would be to use the top row of buttons as 1, 2, 3.

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:56:06 am »
Thought the bottom row is 1-2-3. I prefer that, as you don't have to cross a row for most games that only use 1-3 buttons, but I don't know if that is correct for Street Fighter and co.
But, MacIpac or Winipac change it on the fly if you want it different later on.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:25 pm »
i say wire them just as they are labeled.  it is so funny to me that people complain about having to "reach across the bottom row" like it is a difficult task.  i guess if you keep your fingers completely extended and press your palms against the panel, then that might be an issue, but i keep my fingers curved and most of my palms don't touch the panel, the bottom row fits naturally under my hand.  having button 1 being at the top left just seems to make the most sense.

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

pjl83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2018, 03:19:02 am
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:12:26 pm »
Thanks,

I'll go with the above and see how it feels. It'll all be accessible so I can easily change if necessary.
Paul

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:47:44 am »
As I said, rewiring is never needed.