Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Two-Headed Beast -- Finished  (Read 124500 times)

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Two-Headed Beast -- Finished
« Reply #400 on: January 21, 2013, 10:33:28 am »
Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback! :cheers:

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #401 on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:30 am »
Really great cabinet. Very original concept too!

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #402 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:03 am »
Looks great!

I always wanted to do something like that with two separate displays, plus the benefit of having extra room to play without the other player looking at your button combos.

Truly inspirational!  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

CraftyMech

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 08:08:45 pm
  • I love the smell of solder in the morning...
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #403 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44:57 am »
Awesome concept, and a really nice build. Such a better idea than the 5ft wide control panels you see on the Interwebs, jammed full of sticks and buttons.

Congrats on the UCA award!  :cheers:
BitKit 8bit FPGA Multi - http://craftymech.com

rtkiii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2022, 02:55:49 pm
  • Ready to Build! Not building? Making Movies!
    • RTKIII Productions YouTube Channel
« Reply #404 on: February 18, 2013, 04:01:28 pm »
Run and Gun is one of my fav games of all time and I am jealous you have the cabinet!!!!  But damn...that lights off shot is just amazing!  Nice work.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #405 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:08 pm »
Run and Gun is one of my fav games of all time and I am jealous you have the cabinet!!!!  But damn...that lights off shot is just amazing!  Nice work.

its a Cyberball cab. They were just converted to Run and Gun a lot.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Nephasth

Re: Two-Headed Beast -- Finished -- Now With GUNS!
« Reply #406 on: July 07, 2013, 08:44:14 pm »
Patience paid off! Thanks to fellow member markronz, the Beast just got lethal! >:D

I've been wanting to add guns to this machine for over a year. Unfortunately, the price has been holding me back on pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a set of AimTraks. I've also been considering EMS TopGuns and Act Labs Guns. I haven't been too impressed with the reviews the EMS TopGuns have gotten, and if I'm going to have to add LED bars to my monitors I'd rather go with AimTraks. And in my casual search for guns, I've only come across Act Labs of the TV, game port, and GS variety; none of which would work or integrate nicely into the Two-Headed Beast. And then last week the exact Act Labs set up I've been looking for popped up in the B/S/T forum. The price was right for me to take a shot (pun intended again) at them and see if they'd work with my dual monitor setup.

I got the guns a couple days ago, and was excited to try 'em out. After inspecting them and fixing a pin on one of the MiniDIN connectors, I had one hooked up and ready to fire up MAME. Setting it up in MAME was pretty hit and miss (another gun pun), and took a while to get it just right between mouse and lightgun settings. But I got it working, and it shot on both screens! However, the trigger was stiff as hell, and it was the same with the other gun. After dealing with stiff U360s, I have silicone grease on hand and thought I'd give it a shot on the guns. After lubing the trigger slides, the triggers were much more smooth and easier to actuate. Now I could get through more than half a level of Area 51 without my hand hurting like hell.

Just hooked up the second tonight and what a relief it is to find that both guns work on the dual screens! Here's the Beast in setup/test mode.

Area 51 was one of my absolute favorites when I was kid. ;D

Things to do:
  • I've got a couple MiniDIN panel mount connectors and MiniDIN extension cables on the way. I'm planning on putting a connector on the underside of each CP so the guns can be unplugged easily and stored inside the cab when not in use, and not have any cables coming out of the coin doors while playing.
  • Mount the VGA boxes inside the cab to a more permanent location.
  • Add another USB PCI card to the computer.
  • Add all the gun games to my HyperSpin list.
  • Add the laser disc gun games to the Beast.
  • Create some custom MAME "crosshairs". Since the Act Labs guns only move the crosshairs after a shot is fired, I want to make some that look like bullet holes.
  • Enjoy. ;D
Again, HUGE thanks to markronz! This is badass!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #407 on: July 07, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »
  • Create some custom MAME "crosshairs". Since the Act Labs guns only move the crosshairs after a shot is fired, I want to make some that look like bullet holes.

You can turn the crosshairs off in mame.ini for true to the original behavior. 
When you calibrate in the service menu, the game itself will still show you where the shots are going.
Same thing goes for Model 2 Emulator.
For the Digital Leisure games, I replaced the crosshair png with a transparent square of the same size and name.
I don't think that's necessary if you run them on the daphne-singe emulator.  (I preferred the look of the pc version)

I have an odd question for you.  In Windows, does the mouse pointer snap exactly to where the guns are fired?
My old ray-guns which are permanently wired to their boxes do perfectly.  I picked up a set of the small silver pistols that use the newer box which can be disconnected and they register 2" high.  It can be calibrated out in MAME, but I'd like to confirm that this is not normal behavior for the newer guns.

YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THE GUN GAMES!   :applaud:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:39:27 pm by BadMouth »

Nephasth

« Reply #408 on: July 07, 2013, 11:18:53 pm »
I have an odd question for you.  In Windows, does the mouse pointer snap exactly to where the guns are fired?
My old ray-guns which are permanently wired to their boxes do perfectly.  I picked up a set of the small silver pistols that use the newer box which can be disconnected and they register 2" high.  It can be calibrated out in MAME, but I'd like to confirm that this is not normal behavior for the newer guns.

In Windows, the mouse pointer snaps to the same location as the crosshairs would in MAME. On both of these, the Y axis will calibrate pretty much on the nuts, but the X axis will be a little high. On one the bottom of the MAME crosshairs rest on the top of the sights, on the other gun, about 1/4" higher. I think I might be able to fix this by bending the sensors slightly.

You can turn the crosshairs off in mame.ini for true to the original behavior. 
When you calibrate in the service menu, the game itself will still show you where the shots are going.
Same thing goes for Model 2 Emulator.
For the Digital Leisure games, I replaced the crosshair png with a transparent square of the same size and name.
I don't think that's necessary if you run them on the daphne-singe emulator.  (I preferred the look of the pc version)

I want to keep the crosshairs in MAME due to the guns shooting slightly high, so it can help with shot adjustment. If I can ever get the guns calibrated on the nuts I'll turn 'em off. Attached is what I've come up with so far, haven't tried 'em out in MAME yet though.

YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THE GUN GAMES!   :applaud:

:cheers:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:21:50 pm by Nephasth »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #409 on: July 08, 2013, 08:49:30 am »
just when I thought I couldnt any get more jelly.............

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #410 on: July 08, 2013, 09:19:44 am »
On one the bottom of the MAME crosshairs rest on the top of the sights, on the other gun, about 1/4" higher. I think I might be able to fix this by bending the sensors slightly.

I think bending the sensor is the way to go.  I don't recall if the Digital Leisure games even have a calibration screen.  IIRC, they just use the system mouse pointer as-is.  I've been meaning to take these apart and try just that, but haven't got around to it yet.  It's not that pressing since they are just for spares/future projects.

It sounds like quality control may have dipped on later models.

Nephasth

« Reply #411 on: July 08, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »
Fired it up to shoot some baddies with the little girl... the damn gun IDs change after system restart! This might be resolved with the USB PCI card, if not, I'll be checking out drventure's utility.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #412 on: July 08, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
the damn gun IDs change after system restart!

Did you plug/unplug them or swap them?

Sounds a lot like you might need controllerremap, but if they're wired and you won't be disconnecting them, you shouldn't. However, I've never worked with those guns so no telling without a bunch of testing.

Awesome job, BTW, I really want to add guns to my cabinet. One of these days!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #413 on: July 08, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »
Fired it up to shoot some baddies with the little girl... the damn gun IDs change after system restart! This might be resolved with the USB PCI card, if not, I'll be checking out drventure's utility.

I've never had that issue.  I've reversed them after having them disconnected, but never had to redo anything on the PC.
Are you using a USB hub?

Nephasth

« Reply #414 on: July 08, 2013, 09:59:22 pm »
Did you plug/unplug them or swap them?

Nope. :-\

Are you using a USB hub?

Nope. I've got one connected to a USB PCI card, and the other connected direct to the I/O panel.

Awesome job, BTW, I really want to add guns to my cabinet. One of these days!

Thanks man!

Nephasth

« Reply #415 on: July 13, 2013, 04:58:04 pm »
Well, just ran into a deal breaker with the Act Labs guns. The screens will display solid white if the guns are disconnected from the VGA boxes. :-\

AimTraks someday I guess.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #416 on: July 14, 2013, 08:24:44 pm »
Well, just ran into a deal breaker with the Act Labs guns. The screens will display solid white if the guns are disconnected from the VGA boxes. :-\

Why do you need the guns removable?  Is there an issue with making a mount on the sides of the cab, or run it just at the base of the underside of the CP and secure it under the CP area when not in use.  Aimtraks are nice, a great product, but don't hold a candle to these imo. 

Nephasth

« Reply #417 on: July 14, 2013, 08:35:46 pm »

Why do you need the guns removable?  Is there an issue with making a mount on the sides of the cab, or run it just at the base of the underside of the CP and secure it under the CP area when not in use.  Aimtraks are nice, a great product, but don't hold a candle to these imo.

I don't want the guns holstered to the side of the cab when not in use. I want to store the guns inside the cab when not in use. Also, machine gun in area 51 doesn't work with these. You have to pull, release, and pull the trigger again due to the "absolutle" mouse position these guns use.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #418 on: July 14, 2013, 08:55:27 pm »

I don't want the guns holstered to the side of the cab when not in use. I want to store the guns inside the cab when not in use. Also, machine gun in area 51 doesn't work with these. You have to pull, release, and pull the trigger again due to the "absolutle" mouse position these guns use.

Well, if you decide to sell the ACT labs setup can I call dibs?

Dibs. 

Nephasth

« Reply #419 on: July 14, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »
You'd be second in line. Yotsuya has already expressed interest.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #420 on: July 14, 2013, 09:29:55 pm »
You've been chuckblocked!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:48:16 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2013, 10:15:49 am »
I decided I need to finish my working but unfinished cabinet, and found this thread (don't know how I missed it earlier) looking for examples of LED button wiring.

:o  :applaud:  :dizzy:

Incredible job.  You've inspired me to buy micro-fit connectors and start wiring them up.  The wiring in my cab(s) has always been my biggest issue, but I think I can deal with it if I approach it this way. 

Awesome, just awesome.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2013, 10:30:17 am »
Yeah, Neph inspired me to learn how to use crimpers and Molex. Making your own harnesses is the best thing ever.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #423 on: August 16, 2013, 10:33:40 am »
Yeah, Neph inspired me to learn how to use crimpers and Molex. Making your own harnesses is the best thing ever.

I think getting someone else to make it for you is slightly better. 

I worked in a factory for like  decade, so I dont have the dexterity in my hands and fingers that I used to.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #424 on: September 17, 2017, 10:52:31 am »
Anyone want to buy this thing?
%Bartop

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #425 on: September 17, 2017, 12:19:26 pm »
How much is the free shipping, and will it fit in my basement?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #426 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »
I would love to, can you get me a price on insured shipping to the UK and a 1KW drop down converter so I can use it when it finally arrives. Upon arrive it will need to be carried up 3 flights of stairs and then fit through a doorway only 23.5" wide.  I got about $499 total to spend,  It should also come with free sweets. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:  Good luck with the sale.